Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Just a reminder. The left lane is for doing 1mph over the speed limit.

Haha, I never really believed this stereotype until I rode in LA a couple of weeks ago. Speed limit in left lane or doing 30mph++ over. Thank baby jesus for lane splitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Kenny Rogers posted:

GPS tracking software was installed that evening. I'd had it on my iPhone, but hadn't gotten any for the Android yet. I was ITCHING to tell him to write the drat ticket for 78, so I could walk into court with documentation that I was actually going 63...but lack of planning meant I had to choke on my words. :sigh:

Denver cops that are stationed out at the airport are dicks. And a half.

So I really doubt those kind of logs would be admissible in a traffic violation case because of how easily they could be doctored or made up out of whole cloth.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
A camera capturing your speedo and a view of the front would work better, but could still be thrown out.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

aventari posted:

So I really doubt those kind of logs would be admissible in a traffic violation case because of how easily they could be doctored or made up out of whole cloth.

Even if it couldn't be doctored cellphone GPS just isn't that accurate - it can easily lag behind or jump ahead of your actual position.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Fucknag posted:

During my worst year for speeding, my last ticket was 4th of July going 47 in a 45... for $295.

Would've been fine too, except I was going through some poo poo at the time and I forgot to pay it, resulting in having my license suspended for a month. :saddowns:

I got one for 'Excessive speed in a parking lot'. That swift, roaring speed was 5-7 m.p.h. It was so slow, it wasn't measurable. It was just between the second and third tick mark on the speedo. Got out of it in court though, since the judge was a muscle-car fan.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

aventari posted:

I've gotten nowhere with attacking from that angle. Your best bet is established technicalities such as equipment certification, improper police procedure, evidentiary rules and so on.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got out of my last ticket going with trial by written declaration. Apparently cops don't get paid to do fill out those forms and most toss them. I also requested calibration records and whatnot from the CHP but never got anything back so that went into my statement.

I also just don't bother speeding anymore. You get where you're going a tiny bit faster but have to worry about cops and poo poo the whole time. Not worth it. I save far, far more time lane splitting than doing 15-20 over the limit.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
One of a Kind Chev.Cavalier Trike - $4500

quote:

Custom made Front wheel drive Chev. Cavalier engine and front end Trike. Custom made roll cage with Mickey Thompson 18 inch rear tire. 5 speed transmission, Anti Lock brakes, seat belts, air bags, heater, radio cd player and air cond, all works great. You must see this, no other trike like it. Ready for the road, drives and rides great, Titled as a 2011 custom made vehicle, Reason for selling, We need the money for medical needs, $4500. cash only.

:allears:

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 28, 2013

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
finally a cavalier that only sucks on the inside. makes me wonder what ever happen to the cavaliero. that thing was pretty cool. Im pretty sure it was on this forum where I saw it to. The cavalier that was turned elcamino style.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

(on the assumption it's not a joke)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Looks like a reject from a Mad Max movie.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Here's an episode of hoarders: cars waiting to happen

My driver rear tire looks the same as this. When I try to move it, it makes a terrible grinding sound. It was fine last night, now suddenly it's hosed up. So, so long 98 lumina. We had some good times.

How the hell can the car in the picture be drivable?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KoRMaK posted:

My driver rear tire looks the same as this. When I try to move it, it makes a terrible grinding sound. It was fine last night, now suddenly it's hosed up. So, so long 98 lumina. We had some good times.

How the hell can the car in the picture be drivable?

Had a car like that parked in the premium spot at my old apartment (spot on the end that was 1.5 spaces wide and perfect for my car and bike instead of taking up two regular spots) for months on end. I think 3 of the wheels were flat and the windows were taped shut. I really regret not bitching about it to the landlord.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

aventari posted:

dissss posted:

Even if it couldn't be doctored cellphone GPS just isn't that accurate - it can easily lag behind or jump ahead of your actual position.
The research that I've seen and done on the subject has shown that the thing that generally dings you is a lack of evidence of:
A) A person knowledgeable on how GPS calculates your position and speed - saying "It just works" isn't enough.
B) Calibration data on the GPS unit to show that it is, in fact, accurate.

An example:
http://www.mp3car.com/gps/97190-dashcam-video-with-gps-speed-imprint-court-date-soon.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5se8n5XSuY

That said, I've been using the aforementioned Waze for probably 3 years now, and it's taught me one incredibly valuable thing. There is no speed that I can go that will get me to my destination any faster than the speed limit.
My test run for a year was the stretch of E-470 that runs from I-25 to Pena Boulevard.
For the test, I set the cruise control for 75 (GPS Indicated) for a week, then set the cruise control for 85 the following week.
Over what possibly could be the best commuting case ever - 17.8 miles of uninterrupted highway with light to moderate traffic generally moving at or above the limit on clean, dry, and well maintained pavement, the difference in elapsed time averaged about a minute and a half after accounting for the occasional traffic variations (waiting for traffic to move over on a couple of occasions) over the higher speed week.

Since doing some empirical testing, I generally don't bother speeding to get somewhere sooner (it's not a reliable method) - and my risk tolerance is "up to 4 mph over" where I'm not in a position to move to the right for someone else. Nope, since 2010, in the rare case that I am speeding, it's most likely going to be going 75 in a 55 on I-25 into Downtown because you're a hazard on I-25 if you're not moving with the flow (and "the flow" encompasses all lanes when it's not rush hour), OR it's absolutely for the sheer joy of it...and I get more joy out of a good sprint to the limit than I do exceeding it.

To stay on topic: Here, have The World's Most Horrifying Donk-Photoshop

and the (not much better) original car

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 28, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I want that Corvette to exist if only to see what would happen if you floored it from a standstill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

echoplex posted:

I want that Corvette to exist if only to see what would happen if you floored it from a standstill.

Not nearly as dramatic as the Corvette but her you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKN4B8GI_x4

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Kenny Rogers posted:

That said, I've been using the aforementioned Waze for probably 3 years now, and it's taught me one incredibly valuable thing. There is no speed that I can go that will get me to my destination any faster than the speed limit.
My test run for a year was the stretch of E-470 that runs from I-25 to Pena Boulevard.
For the test, I set the cruise control for 75 (GPS Indicated) for a week, then set the cruise control for 85 the following week.
Over what possibly could be the best commuting case ever - 17.8 miles of uninterrupted highway with light to moderate traffic generally moving at or above the limit on clean, dry, and well maintained pavement, the difference in elapsed time averaged about a minute and a half after accounting for the occasional traffic variations (waiting for traffic to move over on a couple of occasions) over the higher speed week.

Since doing some empirical testing, I generally don't bother speeding to get somewhere sooner (it's not a reliable method) - and my risk tolerance is "up to 4 mph over" where I'm not in a position to move to the right for someone else. Nope, since 2010, in the rare case that I am speeding, it's most likely going to be going 75 in a 55 on I-25 into Downtown because you're a hazard on I-25 if you're not moving with the flow (and "the flow" encompasses all lanes when it's not rush hour), OR it's absolutely for the sheer joy of it...and I get more joy out of a good sprint to the limit than I do exceeding it.

My parents live an ~300km drive away from me, with 290km of it highway driving. Posted speed limit is 100km/h. Doing the speed limit, it takes me ~3:15 to get there. I'll typically do ~130km/h (typically flow of traffic on the 401 is around there) I can knock it down to ~2:30. Not sure how on earth you came to the conclusion that driving faster doesn't get you there any sooner in all cases by looking specifically at one short section of driving.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Speeding helps on long trips, but is pretty pointless on short ones.

300 miles at 65 mph, 4 hrs, 37 minutes.
300 miles at 75 mph, 4 hrs.

20 miles at 65 mph, 18 minutes.
20 miles at 75 mph, 16 minutes.

Throw in traffic, stop lights, etc, and it's just not worth speeding in town. Considering he is using a 17.8 mile commute as his example, it supports his example. I'm the same way... getting somewhere a minute faster isn't worth a ~$300 ticket. Different story on the freeway where you can usually spot cops pretty easily, especially if there is other traffic ahead of you and you consider random braking to be a warning sign of a speed trap.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, I used to drive from LA to Montana and drive around the state pretty often and a couple extra mph makes a huge difference. I love that section of I-15 in utah that is 80mph. About a month ago I drove 200mi from my grandparents' place in lethbridge to a friend's house in great falls and averaged 78mph including going through the border and stopping at the top of an onramp to pee. Did have to slow down a bit once when the radar detector beeped although I'm pretty sure 85 won't get you pulled over most of the time.

In town I drive the speed limit. Some of the other people in my neighborhood piss me off so much. Tons of deer, tons of people walking, kids all over the place, and there are all sorts of dipshits who drive 40mph down the hill. It's a miracle no small children have ever been killed. Although someone did manage to explode a deer right in front of the house. I have been on the verge of stopping in the middle of the road, getting out of my car, and yelling at some lady who has decided to tailgate me down a small residential street. Or maybe I could get a sign that says something like "slow down fuckstick" and stand on the sidewalk for an afternoon. Maybe that last part belongs in the "these are the people you share a road with" thread instead of here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Its like a percentage Increase results in different outcomes depending on the base value!

For another example see interest on monetary loans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spied as I walked from my car to the store this morning.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's creative repair work I guess...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And about as structurally sound as the original!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

And about as structurally sound as the original!

Psh, it's way stronger.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Psh, it's way stronger.

Yeah, that's what happens when you double the cost of materials.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The gascan when full was worth more than the car.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
The door won't open after an accident? That seats perfect for the baby seat!

(its not clear but there is a child safety seat behind that caved in door.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow. Cops here actually pull over people and fix their child safety seats if they're improperly installed. The drunk driving checkstops double for it as well. I'm pretty sure that would get you a roadside beating with a rubber hose.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

echoplex posted:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Trackmania is real! :neckbeard:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

TrueChaos posted:

My parents live an ~300km drive away from me, with 290km of it highway driving. Posted speed limit is 100km/h. Doing the speed limit, it takes me ~3:15 to get there. I'll typically do ~130km/h (typically flow of traffic on the 401 is around there) I can knock it down to ~2:30. Not sure how on earth you came to the conclusion that driving faster doesn't get you there any sooner in all cases by looking specifically at one short section of driving.
I live in Denver, a city where the next closest similarly large city is 825 km away. The last time I took a road trip was 12 years ago. If I have to leave the Metro area, I fly.
Conversely, I spend 390 hours per year commuting back and forth to work.
ergo: There is no speed that I can go that will get me to my destination any faster than the speed limit, because, at best, it'll save me 2 minutes.
I'm not sure how on earth you came to the conclusion that my circumstances and experience apply as a global rule?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I saw this terrible decision last night while I was having dinner and was reminded of the super expensive Audi with the 'Ferrari Killer' window decal someone posted further upthread. The guy driving got out and spent ten minutes buffing the windshield with a cloth that was colour-matched to the car's paint before going and grabbing some takeaway and driving off. He would have spent three times longer loving around 'cleaning' his car (and probably hoping somebody would stop and talk to him about it) than the time it took him to get his dinner.

Bonus points for the company he's advertising on the side of the car being some local wannabe modeling agency with 100 likes on their Facebook page.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
I found this parked outside my apartment building today, it has a plate holder and temporary reg from the BMW dealer across the street.

I'm not sure if it was purchased at the dealer, of if this guy is going the extra mile to convince people his 7 year old honda is a new 1-series.

The weird thing is that the car looks like it's in nice shape under the fake BMW stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And the fucktard didn't even use a straightedge for the numbering on the back.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

norton I posted:

I found this parked outside my apartment building today, it has a plate holder and temporary reg from the BMW dealer across the street.

I'm not sure if it was purchased at the dealer, of if this guy is going the extra mile to convince people his 7 year old honda is a new 1-series.

The weird thing is that the car looks like it's in nice shape under the fake BMW stuff.

I really want to believe that the BMW dealer pulled off the biggest scam ever with this.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

8ender posted:

I really want to believe that the BMW dealer pulled off the biggest scam ever with this.

Or some16 year old's parents wanted to teach their child that beggars can't be choosers. That's what I'm hoping for :allears:

The best troll.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 30, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Found in sunny San Diego. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM?

Try as I might I can't hate this. At least it looks better than 90% of the lovely rattle can camo jobs out there, especially the digital camo ones, and there's no drooling retard bullshit about zombie/bio response teams splattered all over it.

e: Here is an example

Fortunately it's just a photoshop and everyone convinced the guy he was an idiot to do that, or more likely they convinced him to do it anyways and not post about it on NAXJA.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 30, 2013

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or some16 year old's parents wanted to teach their child that beggars can't be choosers. That's what I'm hoping for :allears:

The best troll.

I did just notice that the badge numbering is for the base model 1 series, not the turbo. The guy was smart, kept it believable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't really follow F1 but this probably counts as a bad thing.

Micheal Schumacher hit his head on a rock while skiing and is reportedly all hosed up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/29/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-skiing-f1-motorsport/

quote:

Michael Schumacher, the most successful driver in Formula 1 history, is in critical condition after suffering severe head trauma in a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, hospital officials said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maybe the guy with the BMW-badged accord got a new car?