Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Viconia's got that lovely 19 dex and the magic resistance is pretty much amazing. Anomen's a much better frontliner but if you're looking for a full time stand-in-the-back divine spellcaster I think Viconia edges him out. Subjectivity enters the picture here because until I met Neera Anomen was the only NPC in BG2 that I found insufferable.

That's kind of the theme of vanilla BG2 characters, really; the Good and Neutral folks are much better at filling multiple roles while the Evil guys are optimized and focused on doing a single role super duper well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I prefer Anomen over Viconia, who cares about 2 extra spells and some magic resistance when you can have Anomen wreck poo poo in the frontlines with his improved THAC0 and attacks/round? Also, the evil version of turn undead is kinda meh, most of the time I just want to destroy the buggers instead of control them. Viconia's magic resistance is too much hit/miss for me to be a dependable asset.

Also, in BG2EE Viconia cannot cast Holy Smite anymore, but only the evil version (Unholy Blight), which is kinda useless in this game unfortunately. Too bad Anomen is the most annoying NPC in the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If you're save scumming a Wild Mage to get the results you want, why are you using a Wild Mage?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I decided I want to play BG2 with the best characters personality / banter / story whatever wise. So of course I am taking Jan. I am not sure where to go after that. I have never used Haer'Dalis so I am thinking of taking him along. I have used Korgan/Edwin/Minsc countless times so would like to not take them. I am using the tweak so npc's never fight with each other so the field is wide open. Anyone have some suggestions? Combat ability is not a major concern.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Always bet on Jaheira.

PS Jan is the worst character in the game not named Neera

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I love Jan though. Guess you don't like his vegetable peddling ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jan and Grobnar are two of the most unfunny garbage characters in CRPGs.

Kill all gnomes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Exotic Item Pack is probably the culprit.
This is the one that's guilty of screwing everyone's dialog.tlk up currently, it hasn't been updated for the latest patch to BG1/BG2 EE.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jan and Grobnar are two of the most unfunny garbage characters in CRPGs.

Kill all gnomes.
RIP Maralie Fiddlebender.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rope kid posted:

RIP Maralie Fiddlebender.

Don't be silly Ropekid, Maralie is a disembodied voice not a gnome.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow i am getting destroyed at the start of baldurs gate 1. I picked up Khalid and Jaheria as well as Xzar/Moration(SP?). Only to watch most of my party die to a single wolf.

What am i doing wrong? I don't remember this being anywhere near this hard before.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Wow i am getting destroyed at the start of baldurs gate 1. I picked up Khalid and Jaheria as well as Xzar/Moration(SP?). Only to watch most of my party die to a single wolf.

What am i doing wrong? I don't remember this being anywhere near this hard before.

I seem to recall there being a Vampiric Wolf in a certain otherwise unremarkable area. You didn't stumble across him did you? Because a normal wolf should be a chump.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Minsc is a rather limited one-trick pony, but Jan plays off the other characters better.

quote:

Jan- So Viconia, I suppose you must be a drow, eh?
Viconia- Speak not to your betters, surface slave.
Jan- My brother, Elgar Buttercup, had skin the shade of charcoal, too. Well, technically it WAS charcoal. He died in a nasty fire, you see.
Viconia- You do love the sound of your own voice, don't you gnome?
Jan- My own voice? Heartless wench! Do you not know? I am deaf. I have never heard the sound of my own voice. I read lips... (sob)... only lips...
Viconia- Deaf? Truly? In the Underdark the deaf are killed or used in pain threshold experiments.
Jan- I heard that! In fact, it reminds me of the time I was eaten by an avatar of Lolth. I was stuck inside her stomach with a miserable drow called Biffle Chump for days. Of course, I was forced to eat him. A matter of survival, you understand. Nothing personal. He tasted a bit like chicken.
Viconia- Charname, how is it that you travel with such a wee buffoon?
Charname- Truthfully, it all goes back to the time that Jan's cousin, Plooty Paladin-piper, got caught in a nasty flesh golem eating contest...
Jan- Aye, Plooty had a way of attracting golems. Brilliant, really. You start with a saucer of milk - golems are suckers for milk...
Viconia- I refuse to listen to this.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

I seem to recall there being a Vampiric Wolf in a certain otherwise unremarkable area. You didn't stumble across him did you? Because a normal wolf should be a chump.

It was a "Dire Wolf", he just ran up and one shotted my PC.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

It was a "Dire Wolf", he just ran up and one shotted my PC.

That would be why yeah. A dire wolf is a bit out of the pay grade of a bunch of level 1 chump asses with poo poo gear.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Minsc is a rather limited one-trick pony, but Jan plays off the other characters better.

You cannot convince me the canon BG2 party doesn't have Jan in it. Seriously, I don't care what some stupid book said, the canon party has Jan in it.

e: If you want some "good rarely used characters" might I suggest Mazzy? She's literally unkillable in ToB if you grab Hardiness, is voiced by fan favorite VA Hale, and has some great dialogue with all other party members.

ee: Honestly, the "best" party I've ever run was Jan/Mazzy/Keldorn/Valygar/Anomen with a Wild Mage PC. Jan has lines trolling every single party member, so he's a given. Mazzy works well off both the PC, Valygar, Keldorn, and Anomen, and has a few bits with Jan. Keldorn/Anomen/Mazzy have the whole paladins/clerics/fuckups arc going on, which is more important then most banters end up being. And Valygar ends up trying to get some pointers from Keldorn. It works -fairly- well for a party with a good amount of banter in it.

For a sillier party, take Viconia and go remove the reputation issue with EEKeeper so she won't leave at max rep, and remove the Keldorn/Viconia fight. Then do Viconia, Keldorn, Jan, Mazzy, and one other.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 29, 2013

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It is kind of comical the extent to which BG2 does not accommodate an evil PC in the least. Even the rare quest with an alternate evil path like Trademeet pretty much goes "gently caress you you did it wrong have a reduced reward. Do it right next time".

Eh, evil PCs can build the best parties and get a lot of bonus experience from killing people you don't normally kill if you're good. If you don't take advantage of the latter, then... I don't really know what to tell you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Don't be silly Ropekid, Maralie is a disembodied voice not a gnome.
She is real, strong, and my friend.

http://youtu.be/CCNmq6dJZeg?t=8m6s

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

She is real, strong, and my friend.

http://youtu.be/CCNmq6dJZeg?t=8m6s

...how did I not notice Oswald and Jan have the same voice actor before now? :doh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Excelzior posted:

...how did I not notice Oswald and Jan have the same voice actor before now? :doh:

Not only that, one of the IWD2 voice packs uses the same voice actor too. "My cunning is so strong, my savvy great. While I laugh and jest, you'll meet your fate!"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Jan is a pretty hilarious foil to the super serious stuckup characters, and he's a strong NPC to boot. His stats aren't amazing but illusionist/thief is an excellent utility combo. For smaller parties I like to take Jan and either Edwin or Neera (if you can stand her god awful voice acting). That covers both thief skills and arcane casting very nicely! Add a divine caster and a warrior and that's typically the core of my 4-5 man parties.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What stats and proficiency points should I aim for with a Cleric/Ranger multi? Also, I take it that Dragons or Demons are the best racial enemies? This is in BGII:EE.

cheesetriangles posted:

I am using the tweak so npc's never fight with each other so the field is wide open.

Could you please link it?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 29, 2013

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

VisAbsoluta posted:

What stats and proficiency points should I aim for with a Cleric/Ranger multi? Also, I take it that Dragons or Demons are the best racial enemies? This is in BGII:EE.

Str/dex/wis as high as you can get them, 16 or 18 con*, 11+ int. 2 or 3 points in two-weapon style, points in flail and warhammer. Demon, vampire, and beholder are all enemy types that are difficult enough to merit the bonus without being super few in number like dragons.

*I don't remember if rangers benefit from having 18 con like fighters do, but they might.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I hate this, i restarted since apparently i doled out my stat points all wrong for a fighter/mage.

So i am walking to the friendly arm inn, and of course i get this:

:smithicide:

I don't recall this ever being this frustrating.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

UberJumper posted:

I hate this, i restarted since apparently i doled out my stat points all wrong for a fighter/mage.

So i am walking to the friendly arm inn, and of course i get this:

:smithicide:

I don't recall this ever being this frustrating.

Nah, that's pretty par for course, the first chapter or three of BG1 is about avoiding getting your poo poo pushed in by random enemies, wildlife, a stiff breeze, and the game developers. Once you learn the tricks it's not so bad, but the initial run can be pretty rough. The easiest things to remember, have someone cast sleep as necessary, it's way overpowered, and give everyone a ranged weapon, distance is key.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I've had that happen a few times. It's even worse if you have SCS because some of them will be the Black Talon mercs. Pretty much just immediately jam the reload button.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

It is kind of comical the extent to which BG2 does not accommodate an evil PC in the least. Even the rare quest with an alternate evil path like Trademeet pretty much goes "gently caress you you did it wrong have a reduced reward. Do it right next time".
aTweaks for all your needs. Like, all of them. Install this mod now.

Unbiased quest rewards
Several quests in BG2 have branches where one choice can generally be considered good and the other evil. A recurring theme is that rewards for the evil branch are consistently lower than the reward for the good branch. This component rectifies this mistreatment of the mistreating by increasing the rewards for the evil quest branches to be comparable to those obtained on the good branch. Table 5 summarises which quests are affected and how the evil rewards are altered. Note that, for the sake of brevity, only those rewards that are changed are listed.

Table 5: Table of old and new rewards for evil quest paths juxtaposed with rewards for good quest paths.
pre:

Quest	            Evil (old)	        Evil (new)	               Good

Advance to chapter 3	         Side with Bodhi	            Side with the Shadow Thieves
                          36,750 quest xp      45,000 quest xp	           45,000 quest xp

Recover the Silver           Use the eggs as currency             Tell the demon to shove off 
Dragon's eggs	                                                       and return the eggs
                         25,000 quest xp      99,500 quest xp	            103,500 quest xp

Animal trouble in                 Poison the grove	            Challenge and defeat Faldorn
Trademeet	           0 xp                37,500 quest xp             18,000 quest xp
                           2,000 gold          3,000 gold                  2,000 gold
                      Shield of Harmony +2    Jade Hound figurine      Potential to become the 
                                               5 Blessed Bolts            Heroes of Trademeet

Journey to the                   Steal Garren's deed                Rescue Garren's child
Windspear Hills	         40,500 quest xp        44,500 quest xp            44,500 quest xp

Free Hendak                          Kill Hendak                          Free Hendak
and the slaves		    0 xp               25,750 quest xp              48,750 xp
		                                                        Reward for clearing out
                                                                        the slaver stockade

Find the kidnappers                 Ransom Elgea                         Release Elgea
who buried Tirdir	    0 xp	          15,000 xp                  16,750 xp

Betrayal at the                      Kill Errard	                     Kill Kiser
gates	                   5,000 (quest) xp	7,000 (quest) xp	   7,000 (quest) xp

Furthermore, this component makes a number of additional changes:

In the interactions with the Lesser Demon Lord, telling him to bug off or bartering the eggs always result in experience rewards. Previously it was possible to not receive any experience on certain dialogue branches.
It becomes possible to to obtain the fake dragon eggs even if you kill Solaufein.
It becomes possible to ask the Lesser Demon Lord for wealth without getting fiery death as your reward.
A small experience reward is introduced for being the law-abiding sort and turning in mrs. Cragmoon.
Killing Viekang in Saradush becomes a slightly more rewarding alternative than it used to be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is aTweaks the name of the mod, or is this somewhere in the BG2 Tweak Pack? Regardless, unbiased quest rewards sounds like what I want.

Edit: Huh, I don't see this component at all in the aTweaks read me.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 29, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The Spellhold Studios server version of the readme is for a very old version. You can get to the newest version from the mod forum. The mod itself is up-to-date, too, so you can download it and read the readme that way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

John McCain posted:

The Spellhold Studios server version of the readme is for a very old version. You can get to the newest version from the mod forum. The mod itself is up-to-date, too, so you can download it and read the readme that way.

Oh, well then. :ms:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

VisAbsoluta posted:

Could you please link it?

It's mixed in with all the other mods in the Tweak Pack.

I used the lvl 1 NPC mod this time so I could take the characters I wanted for dialogue and make them into whatever I wanted. PC/Jan/Mazzy/Viconia/Korgan/Neera at first, then dumped Neera out because she apparently doesn't interact with anyone except the PC at any time ever. Replaced her with Minsc and I can't imagine a more fun party. Jan trolls everyone constantly and they pretty much interact with each other in awesome ways

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there any word on a patch for BG2EE to fix some of the major issues it has? Such as not being able to save or rest if you have any source of damage that might effect you such as Berserker Rage or Spirit Armor. Or the fact that Slayer is completely broken and you can only use it once?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Corvinus posted:

I liked this conversation where Valygar made Jan shut up:

quote:

Jan: Hmm. You know, this all reminds me of my dear old mother. Did I ever tell you of my mother, Valygar?
Valygar: I've no interest in hearing about your mother, gnome. Or any mother, for that matter.
Jan: Oh, come now, surely it can't all be that bad? Mothers are the most benevolent force in the world, cradling you and caring for you from birth until death. What could be wrong with a story about a dear old mother?
Valygar: Let me tell you a story, Jan, about MY mother. She fell to our family curse young, toying with magic, sinking half our fortune into ancient texts and scrolls. She was obsessed with it. Even my father could barely drag her away from her studies. She practically ignored me from the day I was born.
Jan: Er...
Valygar: She didn't regret her neglect until after my father died. She became so anguished she reanimated him, and went insane trying to lavish attention on his zombie. Ultimately she entered undeath to join him, and I was forced to destroy them both lest they do more harm. I was crying as I did so. So how is that, gnome? Is that the kind of story you were thinking of? Does it compare to the wonderful story of your mother?
Jan: Ah, no, no. I think that is quite sufficient, thank you.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there any word on a patch for BG2EE to fix some of the major issues it has? Such as not being able to save or rest if you have any source of damage that might effect you such as Berserker Rage or Spirit Armor. Or the fact that Slayer is completely broken and you can only use it once?

There's a fix for that rest bug. I don't remember what it is, but I remember that infuriating me in my first game and I somehow fixed it because it doesn't happen to me anymore. This doesn't really help all that much, but at least now you know if you Google enough you can find the answer :3:

^^^ Jan and Mazzy are awesome too when she just starts screaming SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UPPPPP at him. I can't believe people don't like him

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

aTweaks for all your needs. Like, all of them. Install this mod now.
Table 5: Table of old and new rewards for evil quest paths juxtaposed with rewards for good quest paths.

Old Evil / New Evil / Good

Advance to Chapter 3 - 36,750 xp / 45,000 xp / 45,000 xp
Trademeet - 2,000 gold / 37,500 xp, 3,000 gold, Jade Hound, 5 Blessed Bolts / 18,000 xp, 2,000 gold
I agree with the aims of the mod but these two feel excessive. Why would Evil Trademeet be so much more beneficial than Good now? Also, I think it's fair that Bodhi gives you less experience as you get better items doing her path - and of course she's winning so you're picking the easier path.

Iggles fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 29, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iggles posted:

I agree with the aims of the mod but these two feel excessive. Why would Evil Trademeet be so much more beneficial than Good now? Also, I think it's fair that Bodhi gives you less experience as you get better items doing her path - and of course she's winning so you're picking the easier path.

Well, you don't get the XP from killing Faldorn, so that might even it up some.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I thought you stil fought Faldorn after poisoning the grove after she loses her superpowers? It might not be for the same xp as the challenge though? I'm playing a solo evil jester now so I'll report back :)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The good path for Trademeet has the Heroes of Trademeet note for a reason. There's gold, XP and rep gains in the followup quests for you too, which the evil route locks you out of completely. And statues of yourself are cool, yo.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The good path for Trademeet has the Heroes of Trademeet note for a reason. There's gold, XP and rep gains in the followup quests for you too, which the evil route locks you out of completely. And statues of yourself are cool, yo.

even evil guys should think the statues are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm wondering, is there any way to decide who talks to Hiepherus when you arrive in Kuldahar in IWD2? I was wondering why I couldn't do the old bluff on him until I realized it's probably because it requires the actual Bluff skill (which the first walkthrough I checked agrees on), but the game insists on making my 3 Cha Cleric with probably negative Bluff skills talk to him. Re-arranging the party seems to have no effect on this. Surely there must be SOME way?