Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

pwnyXpress posted:

Holy orders can only attack people not of their faith, though, and you can only hire them if you have the same faith.

This is why I'm not sure if it'll work out like that. I'll go test and report back, anyway. I imagine it works that -when hired- they can only attack people of a different faith, but when fighting for their own cause they can attack whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DStecks posted:

At the very least, it would be interesting to have a temporary "heartbreak" trait that would block marriage proposals and reduce health. Even better if its duration would correspond with the length of the marriage, but I don't even know if the game saves that data.

Having it based on the relations of the husband and wife would be good I think. Maybe an event that fires if you have ~100 relations with a spouse who dies?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

marktheando posted:

Having it based on the relations of the husband and wife would be good I think. Maybe an event that fires if you have ~100 relations with a spouse who dies?

That sounds doable. Maybe instead of it being tied to a hard number, increase the odds of it firing with their relations? Is that doable?

If so, I'm definitely doing this for my little "neat little features" pack I'm cooking up for my own use, and maybe eventual release if it's ever substantial enough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DStecks posted:

That sounds doable. Maybe instead of it being tied to a hard number, increase the odds of it firing with their relations? Is that doable?

If so, I'm definitely doing this for my little "neat little features" pack I'm cooking up for my own use, and maybe eventual release if it's ever substantial enough.

There is an event that fires if you have a child that dies, where you lament that your surviving kids aren't as cool as them, I'm not sure if it's based on relations though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

marktheando posted:

I've not played the Game of Thrones mod, why is the widower thing bad? It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. It's always a bit weird in vanilla when someone instantly gets married to a 16 year old when their beloved wife of 50 years dies.

That 16-year-old is there to produce children, help administrate the realm and possibly secure an alliance. It's your duty to the realm even if you still miss your wife. I guess they could make a long-term marriage where the Lover event fired cause you to be depressed, but depression is basically the best trait you could have in most circumstances.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mailer posted:

That 16-year-old is there to produce children, help administrate the realm and possibly secure an alliance. It's your duty to the realm even if you still miss your wife. I guess they could make a long-term marriage where the Lover event fired cause you to be depressed, but depression is basically the best trait you could have in most circumstances.

Oh absolutely, not disputing that remarrying immediately is the rational thing to do in a feudal system, just saying that it would be nice if the game simulated someone not doing the most rational thing because they are bereaved.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's stupid because it's just unnecessary scripting for edge cases. If you don't want a character to have more children, make him celibate.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Riso posted:

It's stupid because it's just unnecessary scripting for edge cases. If you don't want a character to have more children, make him celibate.

You realize that "unnecessary scripting for edge cases" is a significant part of the appeal of CKII, right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

This is why I'm not sure if it'll work out like that. I'll go test and report back, anyway. I imagine it works that -when hired- they can only attack people of a different faith, but when fighting for their own cause they can attack whoever.

True. My Byzantine, Orthodox Empress befriended a young Knight of Hospitaller on Pilgrimage who eventually became Grandmaster. Over 50 years of friendship he came to my aid several times of his own volition even when fighting his allies of the faith.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Drone posted:

Slavery and emancipation is pretty integral to the story in the later books and a key part of a certain someone's rise to power, so I'm not surprised.

That being said: you actually got the mod to run? I and everyone I've talked to about it can't seem to get past crash-to-desktop on the loading screen, regardless of reinstalls/deselecting DLCs.

Yeah, I mean, Dany being the white savior's what Gurm's going for, I get that, but the extensiveness of the mechanic can't be understated. You can now feasibly spend the entire game as a slaver, never plopping down a trade post, with the merchant republics. For generations. Cause you can forcibly breed your slaves to each other and brutally beat them to death if they refuse. I'm just saying this takes dedication, and I'm not entirely sure if it was the best thing for them to spend time implementing. :shrug:

Also, huh. I'm surprised people are having troubles with it, cause I've yet to get a single crash. Weird.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My main issue with the Game of Thrones mod is that it's a cludged together pile of poorly balanced mechanics riddled with grammar mistakes. Oh, and the abominable custom soundtrack. I mean, I definitely have had fun with it, but I really wish at some point instead of adding new features they would go back and try to make the whole thing work as a cohesive whole. The process of improving your demesne is a ridiculous trial, vassals seem ready to revolt against anyone on a hair trigger, and the megawar system, while interesting, can produce some very strange results. It would also be a thousand times better if they would just import in CK2+'s crown law and faction systems. And this isn't even getting into the totally unnecessary "Ruin" characters, the superfluous "personal decision" menu, the crippled wildlings and ugggh I wish I didn't get so frustrated at modders sometimes.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Well, I can't seem to get the holy order to rebel. Consoled myself to -100 gold and have left it running. Now at -400 (best part of 3 years) and they've still not turned on me or auto-disbanded. Meanwhile a mercenary company did declare war on me inside 6 months.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Fuligin posted:

My main issue with the Game of Thrones mod is that it's a cludged together pile of poorly balanced mechanics riddled with grammar mistakes. Oh, and the abominable custom soundtrack. I mean, I definitely have had fun with it, but I really wish at some point instead of adding new features they would go back and try to make the whole thing work as a cohesive whole. The process of improving your demesne is a ridiculous trial, vassals seem ready to revolt against anyone on a hair trigger, and the megawar system, while interesting, can produce some very strange results. It would also be a thousand times better if they would just import in CK2+'s crown law and faction systems. And this isn't even getting into the totally unnecessary "Ruin" characters, the superfluous "personal decision" menu, the crippled wildlings and ugggh I wish I didn't get so frustrated at modders sometimes.
The personal interactions menu's my main complaint about the mod (I can even live with the slavery bit, cause, well, it's setting-appropriate, if distasteful) because it's just an extra menu added for the sake of having an extra menu. I have no idea why I have to start up a personal interaction, wait a few days, and make a few unnecessary clicks just to give some dude 20 gold to join my plot.

I can live with everything else, but not the drat personal interactions menu.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nutranurse posted:

The personal interactions menu's my main complaint about the mod (I can even live with the slavery bit, cause, well, it's setting-appropriate, if distasteful) because it's just an extra menu added for the sake of having an extra menu. I have no idea why I have to start up a personal interaction, wait a few days, and make a few unnecessary clicks just to give some dude 20 gold to join my plot.

I can live with everything else, but not the drat personal interactions menu.

It's a workaround. The normal diplomacy menu mostly isn't moddable.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a workaround. The normal diplomacy menu mostly isn't moddable.

Right, it's just annoying because as it stands it exists only to allow you to "insult" a character for a minor relations penalty. That's literally it. The other two options are already possible within the normal bounds of the game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Right, it's just annoying because as it stands it exists only to allow you to "insult" a character for a minor relations penalty. That's literally it. The other two options are already possible within the normal bounds of the game.

It does other things, like change how bribes are calculated and allows you to visit the bedroom of possible lovers. There's a few other things it does, I just don't recall them. A lot of the options are exceedingly situational, as I understand it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

On the topic of wishlist for CKIII or a mod, I really would like to see more social stuff. Right now it seems I'm either at war, or preparing for war, without much to do in the downtime. I'd love to see more event chains where you have to adjudicate things, have courtiers petition to marry (as it's odd they just don't marry unless you tell them to get married), be able to steer cultural events in your country, give artists patronage, that sort of thing. Basically more peacetime events to make the experience more rich and immersive.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Eimi posted:

On the topic of wishlist for CKIII or a mod, I really would like to see more social stuff. Right now it seems I'm either at war, or preparing for war, without much to do in the downtime. I'd love to see more event chains where you have to adjudicate things, have courtiers petition to marry (as it's odd they just don't marry unless you tell them to get married), be able to steer cultural events in your country, give artists patronage, that sort of thing. Basically more peacetime events to make the experience more rich and immersive.

Totally seconding this, my current game just hit 1300 and I'm already a giant blob on the map so the only thing to do is wait for truces to expire and keep expanding, it's getting quite boring to see the time fly by with nothing except summer fairs happening :(

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Eimi posted:

Go play EU4 and then appreciate just how much there is to do in CKII during peacetime. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DStecks posted:

Go play EU4 and then appreciate just how much there is to do in CKII during peacetime. :colbert:

Oh I vastly prefer CK2 to EU4. Just saying it could be improved. And the social/peace side is where it needs work. I want to be able to pay Not-Chaucer to write the not-Canturbury Tales okay?

Totally unrelated but I've burned through like three seer's lifetimes trying to convert Paris. I thought reformed Norse could convert better.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 30, 2013

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

It does other things, like change how bribes are calculated and allows you to visit the bedroom of possible lovers. There's a few other things it does, I just don't recall them. A lot of the options are exceedingly situational, as I understand it.

It's also used for Faceless Man assassinations, though as far as I know there's no reason that couldn't be a decision available when you're plotting to kill someone, if the interaction menu was ditched. Plus their new gift calculation is stupid.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So I'm pretty much an utter newbie at this and am puttering around in Iceland. Have a couple questions:

- My wife is Spymaster for some other fucker off in Norway. How do I get her to join my own court?
- Can mercenaries be used a raiders? I don't have the levies to take any garrisons.

Also, what's required to have a successful siege? I landed in Dunbar a while ago while their city was more or less emptied out and it wouldn't let me siege.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fuligin posted:

And this isn't even getting into the totally unnecessary "Ruin" characters, the superfluous "personal decision" menu, the crippled wildlings and ugggh I wish I didn't get so frustrated at modders sometimes.

I kinda liked that mechanic, if only so there can be "colonization" in CKII (for ancient history mods like Diadochi Kings or that 615 BC mod that's in the works).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

JGBeagle posted:

I kinda liked that mechanic, if only so there can be "colonization" in CKII (for ancient history mods like Diadochi Kings or that 615 BC mod that's in the works).

I think it's a neat idea in premise, it's just not implemented terribly well, amusing as it is to see that "Tumbledown Ruins" has a lover and produced a number of illegitimate children. Which is pretty much my opinion of most of the GoT mod, I guess.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
My Zoroastrian game has reached the point where I can usurp the shahdom of Persia, but :gonk: dear god the color is so drat ugly. And of course the last idiot ruler, Peroz the "Wise", set everything to the bare minimums of CA and succession so when I did a test run to see how things would go, the realm immediately plunged into chaos with dukes fighting each other for whatever stupid reason. And then my ruler died of an infected hangnail and gavelkind wrecked everything further.

Yeah, I think I'm staying as Khiva until I can form the Persian empire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fuligin posted:

I think it's a neat idea in premise, it's just not implemented terribly well, amusing as it is to see that "Tumbledown Ruins" has a lover and produced a number of illegitimate children. Which is pretty much my opinion of most of the GoT mod, I guess.

The Dothraki Sea earned a nickname in my prior game of GoT. It was a hell of a thing.

I do like the GoT mod overall but sometimes it does just fall apart. In my current game I was aiming at starting in Aegon's Conquest as an obscure count and trying to work over the years to becoming Lord Paramount of the North and then beyond.

But Aegon lost every single conquest he attempted. Harren somehow beat him and the events kept firing I guess, so he went through The Stormlands, The Reach, The Rock, and the Vale of Arryn, losing each one because his troops never had time to recover and even dragonriders can't take 400 men up against 20000 and win.

So now his daughter Elaena is sitting there in the Crownlands doing not much of anything except fighting off Bob Rosby's inevitable wars for the Iron Throne. :haw:

e; nevermind she's got 32 martial and just conquered the Iron Islands and Riverlands within a couple of months of taking the throne.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

e; nevermind she's got 32 martial and just conquered the Iron Islands and Riverlands within a couple of months of taking the throne.

You can never tell what those Targs are gonna do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

nutranurse posted:

You can never tell what those Targs are gonna do.

It took her 32 years but she just finished unifying Westeros. Looks like the game is on after all.

e; By the way anyone playing the GoT mod, don't do the Valyrian Steel Sword ambition/quest, it's dumb as hell, expects you to write stuff down, and then has some stupendously stupid UI choices.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 30, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eegah posted:

So I'm pretty much an utter newbie at this and am puttering around in Iceland. Have a couple questions:

- My wife is Spymaster for some other fucker off in Norway. How do I get her to join my own court?
- Can mercenaries be used a raiders? I don't have the levies to take any garrisons.

Also, what's required to have a successful siege? I landed in Dunbar a while ago while their city was more or less emptied out and it wouldn't let me siege.

1. You should be able to invite her to court through a diplomacy option, but only if she does not hold land herself. If she is the vassal of a Norwegian lord then she won't come to you. But don't worry, sperm is magic in CK2 and as far as we know she is no less likely to get pregnant than a wife who lives with you.

2. You can use mercenaries as raiders, but you don't need to. If you are a small viking country you don't want to siege down the holdings you raid. When you select a county there is an orange bar representing it's wealth, divided by a line denoting the wealth protected by fortifications. Even if your forces are too small to successfully siege a castle, they will still raid the countryside and carry off any valuable things they can find in the fishing settlements and villages. So you will still make money without sieging down the baronies, until the orange bar reaches the point where the rest of the wealth is protected. Then you pack up and raid another county.

Mercenaries most likely won't allow you to siege down castles in time before your enemies forces can catch up to you. And even if you raid smaller realms that have fewer troops, I'm not sure if the upkeep is not higher than the additional money looted from sieging down the holdings.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Unless something has changed since the release of Old Gods you can't actually use mercenaries to raid.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Crusader Kings II: sperm is magic

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nightblade posted:

Unless something has changed since the release of Old Gods you can't actually use mercenaries to raid.

I was able to bring mercs along in a separate stack with my raiders. Once my raiders started a siege, the mercenaries would join in, putting me over the siege limit, and when the siege finished, I got the cash for it like normal. As the norse count of Orkney, I got about 500 gold in a few years from the start by sailing my 400 starting levies around northern Europe and raiding independent counties after they'd been sieged down in wars. I hired the cheap Norse mercenary company and used them to conquer Ireland one county at a time. After I had one county in Ireland, I was able to sustain my mercenary upkeep indefinitely by alternating conquering counties with using them to help my raiders plunder neighboring counties.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I almost wish this game didn't have player controlled armies. I think the intrigues are more interesting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Seoinin posted:

My Zoroastrian game has reached the point where I can usurp the shahdom of Persia, but :gonk: dear god the color is so drat ugly. And of course the last idiot ruler, Peroz the "Wise", set everything to the bare minimums of CA and succession so when I did a test run to see how things would go, the realm immediately plunged into chaos with dukes fighting each other for whatever stupid reason. And then my ruler died of an infected hangnail and gavelkind wrecked everything further.

Yeah, I think I'm staying as Khiva until I can form the Persian empire.

If you're doing it right (ie big Khivan blob from the get go) you should be able to stomp through Persia before it even exists so when it's created it is a clone of your Khivan kingdom.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, I'm really pissed off that this game pulled shenanigans to get out of MY shenanigans. I'm playing a game as a doux in Greece, and my Celibate Uncle from Sweden invaded the country and became king, putting me in direct line for the throne. Less than a year later, Sweden has changed to Seniority with no fanfare. Now, I goddamn well KNOW that you can't change succession laws without waiting ten years, so can someone explain to me what happened, outside of cheating?

The only thing I can figure is an extremely convenient faction formed for Seniority succession, immediately, and issued their demands, immediately, and my uncle, despite having already defeated the armies of Sweden and therefor having superior military power just happened to give in. Bullshit. I am the rightful heir of Sweden.

EDIT/UPDATE
As if in protest, my own relative in Sweden pressed his claim a few years later and won. SUDDENLY Sweden is Gavelkind again and I'm still out of the line of succession.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 30, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

1. You should be able to invite her to court through a diplomacy option, but only if she does not hold land herself. If she is the vassal of a Norwegian lord then she won't come to you. But don't worry, sperm is magic in CK2 and as far as we know she is no less likely to get pregnant than a wife who lives with you.

2. You can use mercenaries as raiders, but you don't need to. If you are a small viking country you don't want to siege down the holdings you raid. When you select a county there is an orange bar representing it's wealth, divided by a line denoting the wealth protected by fortifications. Even if your forces are too small to successfully siege a castle, they will still raid the countryside and carry off any valuable things they can find in the fishing settlements and villages. So you will still make money without sieging down the baronies, until the orange bar reaches the point where the rest of the wealth is protected. Then you pack up and raid another county.

Mercenaries most likely won't allow you to siege down castles in time before your enemies forces can catch up to you. And even if you raid smaller realms that have fewer troops, I'm not sure if the upkeep is not higher than the additional money looted from sieging down the holdings.

So that's the secret. Thanks much, I'll be a-pillaging tonight after work. And yeah I've already knocked her up w/ magic sperm, but I was hoping to bring her in as my own spymaster. Oh well. Thanks again.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
On the topic of the GoT mod, Aegon's alternate conquest (New Valyria) is more than a bit buggy. It works fine so long as you leave everyone a merchant republic, but if you revoke any king-level republic title it breaks your saves.

Also, Dragon Conquests are hilariously OP. Once you've unleashed your dragon just once to instawin a siege, virtually every NPC nation you target with a Dragon Conquest will surrender before your troops even arrive.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Sengoku 2.02

code:
	more ashikaga/shogunate history
	new de jure kingdoms around inland sea - Note: new kingdoms will not show up in saved games.
	various tweaks
Ignore the colours.

You Dstacks, be useful and give me a suggestion for a kingdom in chubu/kanto area. I was thinking about Tosando but that is not quite right, seeing how it starts in the north of Tohoku.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Anias posted:

I almost wish this game didn't have player controlled armies. I think the intrigues are more interesting.

That would be interesting, if the game only lets you split and combine armies, assign generals, and give more general orders ("take X at all costs," "hunt down Y's army and destroy it," "Protect this area from attacks"), unless you put your own character in charge of one. The AI would need to be much better though.

Really though, I'd like to see more changes that expand on non-warfare play. There does seem to be a trend toward making "thing that just sort of happens" mechanics into ones with player input, like the Old Gods tech points system and the new College of Cardinals, and I'm hoping for more in the future. I'd pay good money for a DLC that was just a factions and decadence overhaul, or a council expansion that turns things like county conversions and claim fabrications from "plop down a councilor and pray" to something with more interaction and choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

If you're doing it right (ie big Khivan blob from the get go) you should be able to stomp through Persia before it even exists so when it's created it is a clone of your Khivan kingdom.

Dang, really? This game they completely rolled everyone and formed Persia within 15 years of the start. Could have been worse, tho - the first time I tried playing Zoro, the Saffarids had some absurd ubermensch shah that blitzed straight through the Iranian plateau and into the Abbasids without slowing down. I think he formed the Persian Empire before 900.

• Locked thread