Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Here's a close up of the picture he's holding.

Yes, those are little people bowing down to him.

Is this supposed to be a joke or is this country really this hosed up? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

The hostility to gender-change surgery is baffling to me. It's like they think people do it for fun or vanity or something. Who the hell would get a sex change for fun?

To be honest, they are already pissed that anyone is getting medical care of any kind. That they also hate anything vaguely LGBT related just intensifies it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Warchicken posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke or is this country really this hosed up? Holy poo poo.

He (probably) murdered a woman and got rewarded with a beltway insider circlejerk that nobody but Harold Ford watches. I guess you can call that hosed up, but whatever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Firehouse Subs. Delicious loving sandwiches. It doesn't have the variety of Subway, and the prices are a bit more expensive, but what they do is honestly a bit better in my opinion. The shops also double as fundraiser stands for 911 services, primarily fire fighters for obvious reasons. For every $2 you donate to your fire department through them they will give you a 5 gallon bucket of pickle spears for free. They're relatively new, and primarily in the south though, so there's a good chance that not a lot of people have tried them.
Not only that, but the one I go to has about 25 hot sauces and little cups with lids so you can try everything on your sandwich. I found my favorite hot sauce ever, Gator Hammock Gator Sauce there, and every few months I go in and buy a bottle with my sandwich. The staff is truly fantastic, too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not only that, but the one I go to has about 25 hot sauces and little cups with lids so you can try everything on your sandwich. I found my favorite hot sauce ever, Gator Hammock Gator Sauce there, and every few months I go in and buy a bottle with my sandwich. The staff is truly fantastic, too.

ALL Firehouse Sub shops have that line o' sauces. It's a standard (and awesome) feature. The fact that they'll also straight up sell you unopened bottles is amazing too.

They used to serve 357 sauce at the place I worked which I'm pretty sure is legitimately dangerous. It's something you're supposed to use to mix into home-made sauces to make them spicy, Firehouse served it straight as a sauce on its own. Had it once on a dare, and that stuff hurt, but you'd still find a crazy customer now and then who'd pour some in his bag of chips and be completely chill eating them while the sandwich crew stares on in mute horror.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

VitalSigns posted:

The hostility to gender-change surgery is baffling to me. It's like they think people do it for fun or vanity or something. Who the hell would get a sex change for fun?

Nobody transitions for fun. If I could I'd hold one of these fuckers down and explain I'm only doing it to keep me from killing myself but alas, that's too much to ask for.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

It's just the hip new thing to be in this left wing society clearly because we have a gay Muslim in the white house. *blatantly ignores centuries of transgender presentation and individuals*

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Warchicken posted:

yes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quiggy stardust posted:

Nobody transitions for fun. If I could I'd hold one of these fuckers down and explain I'm only doing it to keep me from killing myself but alas, that's too much to ask for.

We all know you're just doing it so you can lurk around the bathrooms of the opposite sex, leering, you pervert.

(Best of luck in your transition :) :love: )

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quiggy stardust posted:

Right? Apparently they're covering counseling, hormone therapy, and other treatments as well as surgery, and according to GLAAD, "Regulators in California, Colorado, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, D.C., have issued similar bulletins instructing insurers to cover treatment for transgender patients." I really need to move.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Alkydere posted:

ALL Firehouse Sub shops have that line o' sauces. It's a standard (and awesome) feature. The fact that they'll also straight up sell you unopened bottles is amazing too.

They used to serve 357 sauce at the place I worked which I'm pretty sure is legitimately dangerous. It's something you're supposed to use to mix into home-made sauces to make them spicy, Firehouse served it straight as a sauce on its own. Had it once on a dare, and that stuff hurt, but you'd still find a crazy customer now and then who'd pour some in his bag of chips and be completely chill eating them while the sandwich crew stares on in mute horror.

Firehouse subs is amazing, and I thank my co-workers at Fort Hood for introducing me. The one in Killeen also has one of those Coca-Cola super machines that allows you to pick and choose a bunch of different sugary death mixes.

Also, Meatball Sub + Dave's Insanity (or any 10+ sauce) = Death Sandwich.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure foodchat is the #1 derail of SA threads, whether it's here, in SAS, CD, or TVIV
For a while, I considered making a sock puppet account to start a thread on circumcised trans men going to ladies nights at bars with concealed carry permitted weapons and practicing PUA tactics as they espoused MRA beliefs. I couldn't think of a bigger goon honeypot in the present goon era. Maybe change the venue to a Comic-Con ladies night sponsored by CCP Games and Seth MacFarlane or something.

EDIT: And, yeah, something about bacon.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I think that "Dude in Heels" picture is probably* from one of the "Walk a Mile in Her Shoes" events that raises awareness for sexual and domestic violence by having a bunch of guys walk around in high heels.

By all regards, a stand-up operation and all the pictures/videos I've ever seen of it make it look like everyone is having a pretty awesome time.

But hey, what a chance to use the picture as clickbait political bullshit!

*I could be wrong on the source.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will never eat in a Jimmy John's after hearing the stories about how they treat employees and threaten to fire them often if they get sick and can't come in.

Right-wing media connection!
Jimmy Johns puts up all the same funny signs and posterboards in their stores and one of them is that list of annoying "the world doesn't owe you poo poo" platitudes misattributed to Bill Gates. I think it's this one http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/schoolrules.asp

quote:

And by the way, before you save the rain forest from the blood-sucking parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your bedroom.

quote:

Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity.
This is in every restaurant and it's kind of grating.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

agarjogger posted:

Right-wing media connection!
Jimmy Johns puts up all the same funny signs and posterboards in their stores and one of them is that list of annoying "the world doesn't owe you poo poo" platitudes misattributed to Bill Gates. I think it's this one http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/schoolrules.asp

There's a hot dog shop here in Berkeley that basically has an entire wall devoted to Objectivist propaganda. They also call their veggie dog "the weenie" to make you feel bad for ordering it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
My grandparents owned their own business which they inherited. Sucks to be you, burger flipper.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it a living wage that allowed them to save up a down payment on an FHA-subsidized house.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This was my reaction on reading about that. I can't believe how unrelentingly out of touch people with that attitude are. My grandparents could pay their way through college flipping burgers. I couldn't buy books for half a semester on a burger-flipper's salary.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Yeah, they called it opportunity because it was potentially an opportunity, rather than a way to just barely tread water enough to not die.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

comes along bort posted:

My grandparents owned their own business which they inherited. Sucks to be you, burger flipper.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Followed by "not everyone should go to college you ivory tower liberals"

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I suppose Duck Dynasty is now considered right wing media. This dude said men should marry 15 year old girls because they're easy to dominate. I've been have fun posting this on every Facebook post defending this dude.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/12/30/phil_robertson_on_marriage_duck_dynasty_star_advised_men_to_find_15_year.html

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sleepingbuddha posted:

I suppose Duck Dynasty is now considered right wing media. This dude said men should marry 15 year old girls because they're easy to dominate. I've been have fun posting this on every Facebook post defending this dude.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/12/30/phil_robertson_on_marriage_duck_dynasty_star_advised_men_to_find_15_year.html

Can we please stop pointing out that the old rural Southern preacher has regressive, backwoods ideas? Next we'll be talking about how much rich people actually despise the poor even though they pretend otherwise, in public!

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Can we please stop pointing out that the old rural Southern preacher has regressive, backwoods ideas? Next we'll be talking about how much rich people actually despise the poor even though they pretend otherwise, in public!
Not to be a dick, but if that's how you feel then why are you even in this thread? I mean, you could apply the same logic to every radio host/pundit/newsperson/professional rear end in a top hat who gets posted in here: we already know they have reprehensible opinions, so why waste time discussing it?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

T. Bombastus posted:

Not to be a dick, but if that's how you feel then why are you even in this thread? I mean, you could apply the same logic to every radio host/pundit/newsperson/professional rear end in a top hat who gets posted in here: we already know they have reprehensible opinions, so why waste time discussing it?

Let's not go down this road any further, I'm in danger of going through the looking glass here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He likes to come into these threads and smug it up about how all our pudpulling circlejerking isn't accomplishing anything in the world, with absolutely no hint of irony.

VVVVV
More like the beginnings of annoyance with what is turning into a habit. It's D&D, the only thing less interesting than the poo poo we waste our lives talking about is complaining how uninteresting our lives are.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 31, 2013

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^^ Haha are you seriously holding a grudge over something I said?

T. Bombastus posted:

Because Robertson isn't a pundit or a newsperson or a professional rear end in a top hat. He's just some guy who happens to have a camera pointed at him. Let's at least have some standards about whose opinions are notable or public enough to mock because if you just start trashing on random people there's no real sport to it, is there?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Because Robertson isn't a pundit or a newsperson or a professional rear end in a top hat. He's just some guy who happens to have a camera pointed at him.
I mean it's not like he's become some huge figurehead to a vast number of conservatives or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

I mean it's not like he's become some huge figurehead to a vast number of conservatives or something.

Who would have thought that lots of regressive people sympathize with the racist, sexist old man.

It's just so tedious. Old school grandpa preacher likes bible, dislikes gays, film at 11.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, fair enough. Personally I think his role as America's Most Visible Redneck is enough to make his opinions notable, but I guess a speech at the Sportsmen's Ministry is different from a dedicated radio spot or cable show.

Otoh, does an opinion really need to be expressed publicly to be mock-worthy? Mitt Romney's 47% comments were no more intended for public consumption than Phil Robertson's 16yo comments, so what makes one fair game and the other one poor sport?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Next we'll be talking about how much rich people actually despise the poor even though they pretend otherwise, in public!

Is this a bad thing to talk about now? :confused:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Who would have thought that lots of regressive people sympathize with the racist, sexist old man.

It's just so tedious. Old school grandpa preacher likes bible, dislikes gays, film at 11.

Old regressive dudes who like the bible, hate gays and have cameras pointed at them are right-wing media, and discussing it is the point of this thread.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Haha are you seriously holding a grudge over something I said?

Because Robertson isn't a pundit or a newsperson or a professional rear end in a top hat. He's just some guy who happens to have a camera pointed at him. Let's at least have some standards about whose opinions are notable or public enough to mock because if you just start trashing on random people there's no real sport to it, is there?

He's not a random person you moron, he's the centerpiece to one of the most watched shows on American television right now. The most recent season finale of Duck Dynasty just about the same amount of viewers as Breaking Bad's series finale. Are you off your meds? Do you know what kind of a cultural effect that kind of viewership entails. This past June, Bill O'Reilly had the number 1 show in all of cable news (maybe he still does? I don't have any stats on it though). Barely cracked 3 million viewers on his best night. Not even a third of the audience of Duck Dynasty. You are categorically incorrect about Phil Robertson being worth talking about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

T. Bombastus posted:

Otoh, does an opinion really need to be expressed publicly to be mock-worthy? Mitt Romney's 47% comments were no more intended for public consumption than Phil Robertson's 16yo comments, so what makes one fair game and the other one poor sport?

Romney's opinion could become law one day, and he was running at the time for a very public office. Robertson's opinion is extremely common among hateful theocrats and only in the news because of marketing churn, a bunch of riduculous culture war chest thumping, and the fact that his family's dull fake reality television show happens to be the flavor of the week.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
If Duck Dynasty chat really bothers you that much, do what I do when they start talking about sub sandwiches and skip over them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's undoubtedly right wing and media so I'm not sure where else you'd discuss it

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Not to mention that the endorsement of Duck Dynasty has swung (admittedly small) elections so to say that they don't have some amount of political influence is objectively false to boot.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Also what the gently caress else is going on right now? This is basically media and politics dead week. The larger media personalities are all basically on vacation right now, as are all the assholes these assholes talk about, so all that's going on right now is the second and third string recapping the biggest non-stories of the year they can gin up.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Romney's opinion could become law one day, and he was running at the time for a very public office. Robertson's opinion is extremely common among hateful theocrats and only in the news because of marketing churn, a bunch of riduculous culture war chest thumping, and the fact that his family's dull fake reality television show happens to be the flavor of the week.

Robertson's opinion could also become law because it's relatively common, that's how democracy works and the point of this thread is to discuss how the opinions of these public figures influence wider public perception. Romney's opinion of gays is also the same as Robertson's as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Being an intolerant, insufferable prick on national television and getting no repercussions over it makes it look like it's socially acceptable to have hateful, deplorable opinions. That's actually kind of a big deal.