Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Renfaire and Steampunk venn diagram is like 2 circles nearly eclipsing

Love the woman in the orientalist gear with the....steampunk fan?

Yeah that's pretty straight up offensive in ways only clueless steampunks can be. I guess we should count ourselves lucky that none of them decided to pose in blackface!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cerony posted:

I thought this was gonna be a cat maid cafe but no, it's a literal cat cafe.

There was one of these in Seoul that me and a couple friends went to. The coffee sucked and my fingers smelled like cat food for the rest of the day. The cats were nice, though.

Alan Smithee posted:

You mean like maids with cat ears? You actually thought that would be better?

Maybe not better, but would probably get funding quick.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wouldn't a cat cafe be a gigantic health code violation? The cats are going to be climbing and shedding and hacking up furballs everywhere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The problem with self-proclaimed BBWs is that they forget the second B is supposed to stand for "beautiful"

Yup. For real, I'm down with the chubbies but sorry to say these gals aren't going to sell a calendar.

Who buys calendars anymore anyway? Most phones have a centuries worth of the things.

Then again I guess the core audience for these things are the kinds of people who carry pocketwatches for the sake of being kind of person who carries a pocket watch.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

DStecks posted:

Wouldn't a cat cafe be a gigantic health code violation? The cats are going to be climbing and shedding and hacking up furballs everywhere.

Given some of the poo poo they get away with in Itaewon or the food carts around the rest of the city, I'm not really surprised they've ducked the health code violation.

Don't get me wrong, I love Seoul. Had a blast while I was there, especially in Insadong, But there's some stuff that's best left alone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

J.A.B.C. posted:

There was one of these in Seoul that me and a couple friends went to. The coffee sucked and my fingers smelled like cat food for the rest of the day. The cats were nice, though.

Aren't animal cafes in general fairly big in Japan and Korea? Something about giving a bunch of super urbanized office drones and all a place to 'interact with nature'?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

The Japanese ones are more on the order of a bookstore type place with a small cafe also inside, and with the cats not allowed to go in the food prep/serving area.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Aren't animal cafes in general fairly big in Japan and Korea? Something about giving a bunch of super urbanized office drones and all a place to 'interact with nature'?

I only saw the one that I went to, so I can't really talk on this. But it didn't really give off an 'interact with nature' vibe, just a place to feed some cats and have some coffee. Seoul has an amazing aquarium and zoo, anyways.

Install Windows posted:

The Japanese ones are more on the order of a bookstore type place with a small cafe also inside, and with the cats not allowed to go in the food prep/serving area.

This, but without the books. The serving area was behind one of those baby fence things, the kitchen was in a separate room and the little cubby holes were on the other side of the cafe.

Never been to Japan, though. Not lucky enough to get stationed there yet.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

This, but without the books. The serving area was behind one of those baby fence things, the kitchen was in a separate room and the little cubby holes were on the other side of the cafe.

Oh good, a baby fence. Good thing cats can't climb. :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Its a fence made of babies, cats won't go near that

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Renfaire and Steampunk venn diagram is like 2 circles nearly eclipsing

Love the woman in the orientalist gear with the....steampunk fan?

Oh man, she's got goggles on her hat!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've never met a steampunk person in real life, can someone describe the smell?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I've never met a steampunk person in real life, can someone describe the smell?

People like to theorize that the appeal of steampunk is for an era of visible craftsmanship in design or for the age of discovery. More cynically it's been posited that the appeal comes from nostalgia for outdated gender and racial norms.

In reality it's nostalgia for a time without shampoo or regular bathing.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Someone I know, coincidentally, just announced her wedding will be steampunk themed, and that everyone will have to dress accordingly.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Anoia posted:

Someone I know, coincidentally, just announced her wedding will be steampunk themed, and that everyone will have to dress accordingly.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

She wasn't worth being friends with anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
show up dressed as a Dickensian street urchin YOUR MOVE BITCH

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
I was introduced to steampunk through Thief/Thief 2. I thought it was so cool and a unique idea. Then a few years later I went on the internet and found all of the awkward steampunk disasters and horrible people that you can smell through your monitor.

A drat shame.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

show up dressed as a Dickensian street urchin YOUR MOVE BITCH

The real steampunks are actually Communists.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hoodsie/hoodsie-ridiculously-comfy-pima-cotton-onesies-for?ref=home_popular

hell yeah 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"I have given up on life" - The Outfit!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's like a snuggie made love with a speed suit and they had an extremely trashy baby!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah there's loads of them in Korea. They're actually pretty good fun if you remember to bring a laser pointer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That man is Justin Bieber in adulthood. Assuming JB doesn't snort his trust fund through both nostrils

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Saying that something looks like it came from the Onion is becoming cliche, but...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The Hoosie, for when putting on both sweatpants and a hoodie is simply too much work. With this revolutionary new energy-saving idea we can finally plumb new depths of sadness and self-loathing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Goddamn it, how do you go to the bathroom in one of those things? I mean, do you have to take it off completely in order to go to the shitter?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

http://store.theonion.com/p-5526-pet-petter-decoy-box.aspx

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Goddamn it, how do you go to the bathroom in one of those things? I mean, do you have to take it off completely in order to go to the shitter?

Oh holy god, imagine being drunk and needing to completely remove it in order to poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yes. If you've ever worn a jumpsuit you know what it's like. Luckily much like onesies, I've only had to wear jumpsuits ironically

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Young Freud posted:

I really don't know which option would be funnier: if it had a flap in the back like a pair/set/whatever-they're-called of full-body long johns or if it didn't.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doctor Bishop posted:

I really don't know which option would be funnier: if it had a flap in the back like a pair/set/whatever-they're-called of full-body long johns or if it didn't.

flaps are for furries let's not pretend otherwise

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

furries and 19th-century gold prospectors

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rickycat posted:

I was introduced to steampunk through Thief/Thief 2. I thought it was so cool and a unique idea. Then a few years later I went on the internet and found all of the awkward steampunk disasters and horrible people that you can smell through your monitor.

A drat shame.

I must be oddly lucky that the only irl Steampunk dressed folks I've met are well-groomed exceedingly gay men.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rickycat posted:

A drat shame.

Much like anything pure and good, the internet quickly takes hold of it and runs it straight into the ground.

The best pre-fad vision of steampunk is William Gibson/Bruce Sterling's The Difference Engine.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Much like anything pure and good, the internet quickly takes hold of it and runs it straight into the ground.

The best pre-fad vision of steampunk is William Gibson/Bruce Sterling's The Difference Engine.

There's still good steampunk out there. Dishonored was great because the whole point of the setting was that life was lovely as hell for anybody not on the top, and the people on top didn't give a drat about anybody but themselves. There were no romantic SCIENCE heroes who win the day through their brilliance, the two scientists of the story were dysfunctional, petty people; while still being the closest thing in that game to upright, moral people.

(Dishonored has a stupid as hell plot, but that doesn't make the setting any worse, it just highlights how much better a story it deserved.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There too have been good Steam movies. For example Wild....

for example League of....

for example

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
i liked steampunk before it was cool and gay (current day)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alan Smithee posted:

There too have been good Steam movies. For example Wild....

for example League of....

for example

City of the Lost Children. So there.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Tippis posted:

City of the Lost Children. So there.

Steamboy is pretty good, too.

Well, it looks good, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That Brit + Co. site is the home of the most extravagantly ridiculous crapfts ideas, like making wine bottle stoppers out of used yoga mats (Chateau Footstank) or wrapping gifts in used pantyhose. Sam Biddle has been mocking it delightfully on Valleywag.

So it figures they'd endorse this abomination.