Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

plainswalker75 posted:

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment; I had no idea the show even existed when I saw Serenity for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was the same. After watching both I felt like what happens to Wash in the movie would've been a bit more impactful if I'd seen the series first, but it still works fine on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Yaws posted:

Could I get some opinions on Solaris? The Tarkovsky one, not the remake.
Right up there with 2001 as the best space sci-fi movie ever made.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Yaws posted:

It's has the most tactically realistic driving-through-a-tunnel sequence ever filmed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Yaws posted:

Long, slow, extremely textural and incredibly atmospheric. I found the first few scenes once he arrives on Solaris to be some of the most deeply terrifying cinema I've ever encountered.

The greatest movie to ever feature a protagonist in a fishnet shirt.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
What is with the red raincoat that is very deliberately shown to be put on a rack in the original version of Sleuth? It is never mentioned again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Superrodan posted:

What is with the red raincoat that is very deliberately shown to be put on a rack in the original version of Sleuth? It is never mentioned again.

Perhaps a red herring?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

therattle posted:

Perhaps a red herring?

I was thinking it was either that, or proof that Laurence Olivier's character wasn't as smart and observant as he thought he was... After bragging about how smart his character and audience was and how stupid police were for not actually noticing clues, he basically ran around the room for fifteen minutes looking for clues and completely failed to notice that something so major had changed.

I googled for more answers and found a reviewer from the 70s claiming it was an error somehow, and the director "accidentally left it in" but I can't imagine that's true. It's not a subtle part of the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is more about an actor but when the hell or rather how the hell, did Mathew Mcconaughy come into his own? Like when did this happen. I just realized in the last 4 years he's become one of the best actors out there and seen a resurgence in his career.

I've always loved him but what was the real turning point?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hollismason posted:

This is more about an actor but when the hell or rather how the hell, did Mathew Mcconaughy come into his own? Like when did this happen. I just realized in the last 4 years he's become one of the best actors out there and seen a resurgence in his career.

I've always loved him but what was the real turning point?

I don't think he really changed that much about his acting style, he just started taking better roles. When that happened is pretty easy, though:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah but he was in some good movies initially such as A Time to Kill, its just kind of interesting to look at his body of work and only in the last 3 years did he really start getting taken super seriously and landing these incredible roles.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Magically reversing his receding hairline might've helped.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Romantic comedies almost certainly pay more.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but he was in some good movies initially such as A Time to Kill, its just kind of interesting to look at his body of work and only in the last 3 years did he really start getting taken super seriously and landing these incredible roles.

Here's an interview with him where he discusses the twists and turns of his career.

Matthew McConaughey posted:

Truth is, I was in a colder part of my career at the time. I was coming off, what was it, U-571? I had to try different things. I did action movies, crime; and then I did Wedding Planner. I thought, let's go see what it's like to just be light; never done that before. And then, poo poo … it made a whole bunch of money, and they came back, and offered me more.

See, A Time to Kill was the one I got famous off. Big ka-boom, over one weekend. After that, I did films that I really wanted to do. Amistad and Contact. Spielberg and Zemeckis. Director and story meant most to me, even more than character. But the studios offered me fewer dramas after those two than they did before. Doing films like The Newton Boys or Two for the Money didn't make the Hollywood system come to me. I loved the experience, but no matter how good they are, for the studio system it has to do a certain amount of business."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A lot of great actors do the meaty, meaningful stuff early, then do stuff purely to get paid later. He appears to be doing the opposite (although I'm sure he still gets paid very well).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A lot of great actors do the meaty, meaningful stuff early, then do stuff purely to get paid later. He appears to be doing the opposite (although I'm sure he still gets paid very well).

Most actors use their money to follow their dreams. For some of them, acting is their dream, so they still make lots of smaller/indie/art films. Others use the money they get from acting to pursue their other passions.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Snak posted:

Most actors use their money to follow their dreams. For some of them, acting is their dream, so they still make lots of smaller/indie/art films. Others use the money they get from acting to pursue their other passions.

When I did a job with Sam Neill, he was a proper professional but it was politely clear that he very much wanted to get back to his vinyard. More power to him - he's living the dream (ish)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm kind of amused this page even exists:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=mcconaromcomvs.htm

But those are really good numbers for that genre.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've enjoyed watching people over the last 15 years slowly warm up to Leonardo DiCaprio. I feel like in the late 90's/early 2000's a lot of people who were too cool for school thought he was just a horrible acting prettyboy who shouldn't have been famous.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've enjoyed watching people over the last 15 years slowly warm up to Leonardo DiCaprio. I feel like in the late 90's/early 2000's a lot of people who were too cool for school thought he was just a horrible acting prettyboy who shouldn't have been famous.

Really? He's been a critical darling since 1993.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Really? He's been a critical darling since 1993.

I think he's always been a good actor, but him sort of acting like a douchebag when he was a kid didn't help. Not that most poeple could be blamed for that given the circumstances.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cheerfullydrab posted:

That was just Titanic backlash. It also did not help that the movie he made after it was The Beach which was horrible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bobkatt013 posted:

That was just Titanic backlash. It also did not help that the movie he made after it was The Beach which was horrible.

Wasn't in 'The Man In the Iron Mask'? That's its own sort of horrible. I can see why he did 'The Beach', but it seemed to be a direct reaction to starring in a movie he seemingly only did because someone told him to.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm almost afraid to ask this here, but could anyone recommend any good heartwarming romantic comedies (defined as: ones that don't feature narcissist mains and stupid unrealistic hijinks, or keep these to a minimum, but do have a happy ending)? Something that would fall into a cluster defined by: About a Boy; Love, Actually; Four Weddings and a Funeral; Secretary; Don Jon; My Sassy Girl (the Korean one); Vicky Donor; Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu; Monsoon Wedding. Bonus if not American/British.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

meristem posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask this here, but could anyone recommend any good heartwarming romantic comedies (defined as: ones that don't feature narcissist mains and stupid unrealistic hijinks, or keep these to a minimum, but do have a happy ending)? Something that would fall into a cluster defined by: About a Boy; Love, Actually; Four Weddings and a Funeral; Secretary; Don Jon; My Sassy Girl (the Korean one); Vicky Donor; Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu; Monsoon Wedding. Bonus if not American/British.

The sweetest, nicest, most romantic comedy ever made.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

bobkatt013 posted:

The Beach is by Danny Boyle and Alex Garland; additionally, it owns.

meristem posted:

I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay is great, foreign, and at least at one point was on Netflix Instant. Also heartwarming...Secretary...:stare:

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 1, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay is great, foreign, and at least at one point was on Netflix Instant. Also heartwarming...Secretary...:stare:

Secretary is totally heartwarming, two people are able to overcome social mores to express their love in a way that feels real to them. That's basically what all those romantic stories about a member of nobility falling in love with a commoner are about.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Harold and Maude is a funny and genuine story. As a man, it's one of the few "romcoms" I really enjoy.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

meristem posted:

Are you opposed to older movies? They made better rom-coms prior to 1970. A lot of them have screwball hijinks/unrealistic set-ups, but in a way I've found is more palatable (or maybe they're just better done) in older movies than in newer ones. Holiday, It Happened One Night, Sabrina, The Apartment, and the Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn pairings might be good starting points. Also Sunrise, although I'm not sure that would technically count as a comedy. (It's a comedy in the sense that Secretary is a comedy, though, so it probably meets your criteria.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

meristem posted:

Sidewalls (Medianeras) (2011) from Argentina might be up your alley. It's also on Netflix Instant. Although it's kind of hard to parse a list of films without narcissist mains and stupid unrealistic hijinks that also contains Love, Actually.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Before Sunrise, When Harry Met Sally, Cyrus, Groundhog Day, I Love You Phillip Morris, I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With, Lars And The Real Girl, Paper Heart.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Definitely seconding I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay. I generally don't like romcoms but that one was just offbeat enough to get me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Thank you, everyone!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

Drive is far more subtle than Only God Forgives, as evidenced by the horde of disappointed nerds in scorpion jackets who panned the movie when they actually got the joke the second time around.

Count me in for the former, what's the joke I missed?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Count me in for the former, what's the joke I missed?

I'm assuming the first sentence in that paragraph:

quote:

Both Drive and Only God Forgives take a similar Verhoeven approach to critiquing the image of masculinity in mass media.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
A Verhoeven approach? Hell no.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

I'm assuming the first sentence in that paragraph:

Do you have a link or something (or mind explaining) how it goes about critiquing it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Do you have a link or something (or mind explaining) how it goes about critiquing it?

The Driver starts out as an ultracool, collected Steve McQueen type, but he's eventually revealed as a personality-free, borderline-autistic thug. There's not much admirable about him, and he's entirely defined by violence (see the scorpion jacket/fable).

I don't think it's as big a theme in Only God Forgives, but he's an emotional wreck that gets the poo poo kicked out of him despite wearing a cool vest and looking like Ryan Gosling.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That's not Verhoeven-esque at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

penismightier posted:

That's not Verhoeven-esque at all.

Yeah, I was kind of ignoring that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

The Driver starts out as an ultracool, collected Steve McQueen type, but he's eventually revealed as a personality-free, borderline-autistic thug. There's not much admirable about him, and he's entirely defined by violence (see the scorpion jacket/fable).

The same could be said for just about any protagonist in a B level action movie. I don't see how the movie does anything to critique it.