Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

seravid posted:

AN AUTHENTIC MARVEL EXPERIENCE

That's how I feel when I finally manage to get a yellow token only to get a lovely cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
She's showing you her bagman face.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Don't make my mistake, don't buy the Widow pack. It'll just be a modern Widow.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Goddamn the rubber banding is random. So last night I cleared each stage of Greenland/Romania (except for 1) once, with the intent to let myself fall behind so I get more points for stuff today. In Greenland I have 41 points, putting me ~900, but I can only earn 3-5 points per levels and 14 for the 'boss', so it doesn't look like I can make very many big jumps in the standings. However, in Romania, where I started with ~30 points, I was able to grind the 'boss' level and the Demonlitionist level for 10+ points each time, putting me at 249 (until they capped), which is good for current #1 by 20 points. And I can still do the other levels for 5-7 points each.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bruceski posted:

Don't make my mistake, don't buy the Widow pack. It'll just be a modern Widow.

I was trying to come up with a joke about how there's a cheaper version of the Widow pack for 50 HP if you keep going left on the shop screen, but it never came out right.

I am absolutely loving my 4 blue Spiderman, and I can't imagine how bananas he'll get with yet another AP decrease. Who are some other 3-star characters that complement him? My team is entirely 2-star right now besides him, with my Thor and Wolverine at 65 and 70, and a handful of other 2-stars hovering around 20-30, who only get a few levels whenever there's a tournament they're featured in. I've only got 1 cover for Ragnarok and Magneto, but I have a 3/0/1 Hulk, an 0/1/1 Punisher, a 1/1/3 IM40, and an 0/3/1 Grey Widow. Obviously nothing close to maxed, but I need some idea of what to value in the tournament prizes. I also get a black Doom in a few days -- I've always really liked him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahah Spider-man with an espionage OBW is ridiculous! Match blue tiles, steal blue, use the blue tiles for more webs! Throw in a strike tile maker and the enemy team is in so much pain.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Kind of hate that I got rid of my Modern Widow now, but I have the other two in the 30's. I'll survive.

Classic Black Widow needs to be nerfed. Like, really soon. She can single handedly hold off an entire team with her heal. It is goddamn ridiculous.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Sometimes the RNG in this game gets stuck.

...My Punisher is now 0/0/5.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
No luck with Powered Tokens, but picked up yellow IM40 from a standard token and blue cMagneto from daily heroic token deal.

e: what's with all the mHawkeye covers as rewards from the Punisher missions?

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 30, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What's the spiderman consensus? I'm at 3/4/2 and I just got a yellow cover. Do you go 5/5/3 or 3/5/5?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It used to be 5/5/3 because Spider-Sense was pretty awful. Then they changed it from occasionally removing enemy Countdown tiles to creating friendly Protect tiles and opinion flipped -- now 3/5/5 is considered the way to go. Adding to Purple improves it significantly now, while adding to Yellow just drops its AP cost.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Because he's amazing and wonderful and everyone wants one! :v: To be honest, I think the main draw of the Punisher missions is probably the rude things he says to the Dark Avengers. That and the one where he says he'd kill Hulk if he had a big enough gun. :allears:

Anyway, two Powered Up Tokens, two more Wolverines for the Iso furnace.

And the Spider-Man consensus is use Bag Man instead. not really hopefully some day he'll be usable

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I am absolutely loving my 4 blue Spiderman, and I can't imagine how bananas he'll get with yet another AP decrease. Who are some other 3-star characters that complement him?

I was originally running IM40 alongside Spidey and Wolverine, to tank blue/yellow, but ever since I got Spidey up into the 100's that's no longer an option as he's way stronger.

Now I've got Grey Widow instead and it's a pretty brutal trio. Spidey stuns every two blues, which strengthens his pink protect tiles, creating those feeds Widow who then pumps greens everywhere for Wolverine. She also has the strongest black, which helps fill out the attack.

e: Best Spidey is 3/5/5, no doubt.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Does anyone know the highest I can take Thor and still let a lvl 85 Wolverine tank? I've got him in the mid 60s right now and he's high enough that he still hits like a truck, but low enough that I can keep him in the back and just regen tank with Wolverine for most colors and not have to worry about downtime or health packs.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

zamin posted:

Does anyone know the highest I can take Thor and still let a lvl 85 Wolverine tank? I've got him in the mid 60s right now and he's high enough that he still hits like a truck, but low enough that I can keep him in the back and just regen tank with Wolverine for most colors and not have to worry about downtime or health packs.

You could just level Thor while watching the numbers on his stats screen and stop before they overtake. Level 85 Thor's yellow and red are 45 and 50 respectively while 85 Wolverine's are 39 and 45, so I'd guess you can probably take him to the high 70s. And even with both maxed, Wolverine will always beat Thor on greens.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Anyone have a good strategy for Hulk? It seems like if I don't kill him in one turn, i'll get like a three match cascade and the resulting anger/clap cascade mania take out my team in one turn.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Anyone have a good strategy for Hulk? It seems like if I don't kill him in one turn, i'll get like a three match cascade and the resulting anger/clap cascade mania take out my team in one turn.

Save up your ap and kill him in one turn. Or keep him permastunned with spidey, or unload on him after you stun him with storm classic/hawkguy/black widow/etc.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

zamin posted:

Does anyone know the highest I can take Thor and still let a lvl 85 Wolverine tank?

I've got my Thor at level 74, which is where their yellow power is the same. Not sure who takes priority though on yellows, so maybe leave him at 73 instead.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Largepotato posted:

At least those missions actually have real titles now, instead of filename placeholders. :v:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

chrisf posted:

Save up your ap and kill him in one turn. Or keep him permastunned with spidey, or unload on him after you stun him with storm classic/hawkguy/black widow/etc.

Just make sure you keep him stunned with storm classic, needed one match to get the last blue AP for stun and it set off a chain reaction where his angry would damage, and raging tempest would plant an angry tile, continued until one was dead.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

chrisf posted:

For the lvl 204 Hulk, this was the only way I could beat him with Spidey/Thor/Wolverine. That, and boosts. I'd just match until I had 21 green, 18 red, 12 yellow. Stun and then go to town. I found that was enough to wipe him out in one turn.

He has so much health that your normal matches won't do enough to cause an anger, outside of a crazy cascade. Stun him and it'll prevent the entire board from going green and then getting Thunderclapped to death.

GTO posted:

I've got my Thor at level 74, which is where their yellow power is the same. Not sure who takes priority though on yellows, so maybe leave him at 73 instead.

Awesome, thanks.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

GTO posted:

It depends on their order in team setup. I think it prioritizes left to right.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
One of my housemates is the lead designer on this game. We were just chatting about it for a bit after dinner. If anybody has any big questions or good feedback I'd be willing to pass it along to him.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Shadowstar posted:

One of my housemates is the lead designer on this game. We were just chatting about it for a bit after dinner. If anybody has any big questions or good feedback I'd be willing to pass it along to him.

What the gently caress is up with the points in the Hulk event. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Shadowstar posted:

Just some quick feedback:

Liking how they mix up the tourneys with different themes. Dark Avengers, All Females, etc, were pretty awesome.

Liking the new characters that are released.

PVE needs some more variety in terms of cannon fodder. We've seen the same Dark Avengers again and again along with Hammer goons.

The prologue is a bit overtuned - the game is great, but the newbies have a bit of a hump to get over in terms of the prologue content.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If you halved the cost for leveling up abilities you'd probably get a lot more people buying Hero Points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont know about that, the daily deal seems to be a huge hit already.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I do kind of agree with Eddain on this one though - the daily deal is indeed enticing, but I keep getting loving Bag Man covers (why in gods name is he still in the game!?) and poo poo I already have, whereas paying HC to specifically level up a skill of your choice would absolutely get me to spend cash on HC if it was half the price.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Shadowstar posted:

If anybody has any big questions or good feedback I'd be willing to pass it along to him.

For the love of god, please let us untrain/respec covers. I'm on my 4th I have to re-do because I went 5/5/3 instead of 5/3/5 or whatever. The most recent was because I wanted to start a 2nd Widow Classic and instead of moving out of my stash it trained a skill I didn't want on my existing one. gently caress.

I'd even take a penalty like just delete the cover of that color and de-level if necessary. Just don't make me collect a full set of covers and sink 30k ISO into a new one.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

bubbapook posted:

I do kind of agree with Eddain on this one though - the daily deal is indeed enticing, but I keep getting loving Bag Man covers (why in gods name is he still in the game!?) and poo poo I already have, whereas paying HC to specifically level up a skill of your choice would absolutely get me to spend cash on HC if it was half the price.

You could spend 200 HP six times for six Wolverines or directly skill up a Hulk skill of your choice, that's how the daily deals have been working for me. Of course you get the rare lucky draw but without an explicit breakdown of draw percentages it's safe to assume the roulette is heavily rigged against you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Ask him if there's ever going to be a balance pass over the whole roster?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Is anyone else completely unmotivated to go through the Hulk event again, since there's absolutely no chance of getting that 50000 point Punisher cover? I know it doesn't make logical sense, but I just can't make myself bother doing a battle that only gives me 6 points the first time, let alone doing it dozens of times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like it though, it takes pressure off. I know I could have gotten that Punisher cover if I only did two-three more missions. I'll also experiment with skipping some subquests and see how that affects my score.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Each day of Hulk I just join with 8-10 hours to go and aim for top 100 for hp & iso. Last day I will try to maximize my points though.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Shadowstar posted:

I really think ISO costs, either to level a character or amounts available for cash, need to be revisited. As someone who doesn't mind spending money on the game, there's just no reason for me to buy ISO. My level 110 IM40 takes a little over 2K ISO to hit the next level. That's more than $5 in the cash shop, and even with the current sale, that's only a level and a half. That's redonk, and well beyond impulse buy territory.

Speaking of buying, I've bought coins a few times when they were on sale, but even that is getting to the point where it's really not worth it. The "good" characters either require a $20 investment to guarantee 2 skill-ups, or $5 for... half a skill-up. Or I can poo poo my coins into the lottery and get a bunch of Bag-Men and then be super pissed. I'm guessing they have plenty of data from their shop, but I can say as a "regular" user who doesn't mind spending money on a game that I pour a ton of pooping hours into, the prices are just too high to encourage me to bother with the shop unless I'm drunk.

That being said, I do like that rewards seem to have been increased after the Fakebook ISO extravaganza was put to a hold. I seem to get a decent chunk of ISO and coins from the constant events. Sometimes I think there are too many events going on, though - which I'm assuming is intentional. Have people involved in a bunch of tourneys and they're more likely to need health packs and ISO for leveling/boosts.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does the game prevent you from getting too high of a score in the daily challenge? I got up to like 662 in black widow then every time I fought a match I got attacked and lost 20 points or so, effectively preventing me from getting a higher score.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just the function of rubberbanding and other players attacking everything valuable.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Is anyone else completely unmotivated to go through the Hulk event again, since there's absolutely no chance of getting that 50000 point Punisher cover?

I think they've got it about right with this event. The PvE events you can still keep hammering as much as you want, but the setup with the Hulk one reduces that last minute rush a lot. The payoff for the event isn't the one cover at the end of a week-long event, it's levelling your characters as you go with all the iso rewards. That makes the playing more fun for me as there is more incentive to not use boosters (to save iso), which makes it more of a balancing act around winning a round without losing too much health.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked it the first time, but two back to back week-long events is pretty exhausting, especially during holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ghostlight posted:

I liked it the first time, but two back to back week-long events is pretty exhausting, especially during holiday season.

It's probably this, especially with me trying to keep up with the steam games I've bought over the sale.