Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Black Widow and Hawkeye are doing around the same level of stuff they do in the books.

A big problem of Avengers is that a lot of character in the movie hinges entirely on knowing the (comic) characters already. If it was drawing entirely from the movies, it would be fine as a sequel, but instead it's like "here's the part where Captain America starts leading people because you know he's supposed to be a leader from the comics," or "here's where Thor fights Hulk because this has happened in the comics a lot" as opposed to something that should organically occur from the plot of the movie(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darko posted:

Black Widow and Hawkeye are doing around the same level of stuff they do in the books.

A big problem of Avengers is that a lot of character in the movie hinges entirely on knowing the (comic) characters already. If it was drawing entirely from the movies, it would be fine as a sequel, but instead it's like "here's the part where Captain America starts leading people because you know he's supposed to be a leader from the comics," or "here's where Thor fights Hulk because this has happened in the comics a lot" as opposed to something that should organically occur from the plot of the movie(s).

Yeah. From the movies only, there's nothing to identify Cap as a tactical genius. But from the comics, sure.

Same thing goes for Batman. There's nothing shown in the movies that would tell us why Batman is "The world's greatest detective". But the comics provide a wealth of references.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darko posted:

Thor going to handle the Hulk makes sense in the movie because power wise Thor is the only one who can hang with him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dexo posted:

Thor going to handle the Hulk makes sense in the movie because power wise Thor is the only one who can hang with him.

TOP TRUMPS!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

How is that demonstrated and how does the movie explain that? We know from Thor that he's strong as gently caress. We know the Hulk is strong as gently caress. But Iron Man fought Thor well enough, why couldn't he?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

redshirt posted:

Where does Cap gain his tactical genius? From the super solider serum?

He never got any tactical training, did he?

In The First Avenger, you can see a diagram/sketch he did of some kind of strategy or military movement in his journal. It's during the scene where he's sketching a monkey, when he meets Peggy after being deployed overseas. I think that was basically a hint that he had studied warfare and whatnot before even getting juiced.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gatts posted:

How is that demonstrated and how does the movie explain that? We know from Thor that he's strong as gently caress. We know the Hulk is strong as gently caress. But Iron Man fought Thor well enough, why couldn't he?

Iron Man is busy using his technological prowess to save the Helicarrier, something only he could do. So at that point, occupying the Hulk is something only Thor can do.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Iron Man is busy using his technological prowess to save the Helicarrier, something only he could do. So at that point, occupying the Hulk is something only Thor can do.

Captain America is an ever better version of Blonsky, who handled himself against the Hulk pretty well.

TOP TRUMPS!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dexo posted:

That's not what I meant. I'm referring to, like, something earlier in the movie demonstrating a kind of dialogue between the two, so they organically would go after each other. I don't even think Banner said a line to Thor in the entire movie. ie. Organically, given the movie itself, Tony constantly poking at Banner would bring out a "oh you got what you wished for" scene, but, instead, Thor ends up taking him because he's "supposed" to because "two strongest and they fight in the comics and it's what everyone wants to see."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PriorMarcus posted:

Captain America is an ever better version of Blonsky, who handled himself against the Hulk pretty well.

TOP TRUMPS!

I like how the Hulk kicked him into a tree and broke every bone in his body.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

TOP TRUMPS!

As someone else said, that Blonsky thing made me look forward to Captain America...and is still a much better look at Cap type powers than anything in any movie thusfar with Cap. Hopefully, Winter Soldier will have similar displays.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I like how the Hulk kicked him into a tree and broke every bone in his body.

POWER LEVEL 10 vs. POWER LEVEL 50.

TOP TRUMPS!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

That's not what I meant. I'm referring to, like, something earlier in the movie demonstrating a kind of dialogue between the two, so they organically would go after each other. I don't even think Banner said a line to Thor in the entire movie. ie. Organically, given the movie itself, Tony constantly poking at Banner would bring out a "oh you got what you wished for" scene, but, instead, Thor ends up taking him because he's "supposed" to because "two strongest and they fight in the comics and it's what everyone wants to see."

Does Thor even know who the Hulk is when they're fighting on the helicarrier? Like, is he told at some point that the giant green monster is that scientist guy Tony was working with?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does Thor even know who the Hulk is when they're fighting on the helicarrier? Like, is he told at some point that the giant green monster is that scientist guy Tony was working with?

Thor calls him Banner as they're fighting, I'm pretty sure.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

soapgish posted:

This is correct, the exact line is; "You do not wish to fight me Banner, my special move is more powerful than yours and only three more critical hits will allow me to use it!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

soapgish posted:

Hes probably been briefed on him, but he wouldn't know more than "hes really strong."

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
This discussion about Cap reminded of one of my biggest problems with the Chitauri invasion.

What the gently caress were they doing inside a building, preparing to kill a random bunch of unarmed civilians? What was the plan for the invasion apart from blow poo poo up, look vaguely menacing and get beaten up by the Avengers?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The Chitauri with the bomb was next to the balcony railing looking down at the civilians. The next scene shows him pull out the bomb and activate it when Cap jumps in through the window and throws his shield. If the bomb was intended for the Avengers he probably would have been at the window, and seen Cap coming in. I thought it was pretty obvious they intended to drop the bomb down into the huddled mass of civilians.

It's obvious right up until you think about what his possible motivation could be to throw a bomb at a bunch of cowering people who he is there to subjugate and realize that there is none. For all we know he got caught in the middle of doing the Joker's trick from The Dark Knight and setting up grenades to keep the hostages from acting up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was basically a terrorist attack mixed with an actual invasion. Dude was gonna toss a bomb into a huge crowd of civilians, just like all the other Chitauri blowing random things up and killing random people.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't remember the movie all that great, apparently. Do we actually see the Chitauri shoot and kill someone who isn't an armed combatant?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't remember the movie all that great, apparently. Do we actually see the Chitauri shoot and kill someone who isn't an armed combatant?

I believe it's implied but not shown. Anyway, a bunch of giant buildings fall over this would have killed large amounts of people.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's obvious right up until you think about what his possible motivation could be to throw a bomb at a bunch of cowering people who he is there to subjugate and realize that there is none. For all we know he got caught in the middle of doing the Joker's trick from The Dark Knight and setting up grenades to keep the hostages from acting up.

I don't see how they need a possible motivation other than they are literally comic book (movie) villians and therefore do evil things for the sake of being evil. There was even a deleted scene where one of the Chitauri kicks a puppy

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

I don't see how they need a possible motivation other than they are literally comic book (movie) villians and therefore do evil things for the sake of being evil. There was even a deleted scene where one of the Chitauri kicks a puppy

Because a good movie gives their villains motivation because if someone wanted to make a lovely comic book, ideally they'd make a lovely comic book.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

That would be fine – well, lousy, but at least an explanation – if it were established anywhere within the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Because a good movie gives their villains motivation because if someone wanted to make a lovely comic book, ideally they'd make a lovely comic book.

They have motivation though: They want to kill all the humans and take over the planet. So they're you know...killing all the humans.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

They have motivation though: They want to kill all the humans and take over the planet. So they're you know...killing all the humans.

Well, no. Loki is clear that humanity is going to be ruled by him, not exterminated. Where are you getting this from?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, no. Loki is clear that humanity is going to be ruled by him, not exterminated. Where are you getting this from?

From the fact that the alien leader clearly doesn't give a gently caress what Loki wants from their scene together and then the Chitauri pour out of space shooting everyone and everything they see, including a ton of buildings full of civilians.

At the very least they're trying to show superiority via killing a ton of people.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yoshifan823 posted:

The Chitauri aren't villains, they are tools of the villains. Loki says he wants to rule, but it seems more like he is trying to unite the Avengers and weasel out of his deal with Thanos, whose motivation has not yet been revealed.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
First Picture from Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://i.imgur.com/QPghEs2.jpg

lomzus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 31, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lomzus posted:

First Picture from Guardians of the Galaxy.

http://i.imgur.com/QPghEs2.jpg

I didn't think Zoe could get as big as she is in that photo. :drat:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's how the new Cap helmet look from the side.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yikes. Yeah I can't really understand why he even needs a helmet. His identity is totally public. I guess it's to satisfy comic book sperg lords, whom no movie should ever cater to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bung Harmer posted:

Yikes. Yeah I can't really understand why he even needs a helmet. His identity is totally public. I guess it's to satisfy comic book sperg lords, whom no movie should ever cater to.

Probably to protect his head, like actual soldiers? Sure, he's super, but getting shot in the head would still kill him.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
We live in a world where Batman's cowl exist and no one bats an eye.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

On second thought, if they wanted to cater to comic nerds, that costume shouldn't have the helmet since the outfit it's based on does not have one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cap's a man out of time. I think it's good to have pieces of the costume that evoke his original era.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can you smell what The Rock is cooking with Warner Bros and DC Comics?

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/418130830171852800

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh god if he's in MOS 2 that will be the best thing to happen to comic movies ever.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Bung Harmer posted:

Oh god if he's in MOS 2 that will be the best thing to happen to comic movies ever.

They'll just go ahead and add another character to the mix for him.

He's totally going to be Jimmy Olsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The MSJ posted:

Here's how the new Cap helmet look from the side.

I think the helmet, and the costume as a whole, looks pretty good. For you helmet haters it looks like Cap won't always be in this outfit as evidenced by the trailers.

Also loving that GotG pic.

• Locked thread