Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Not to get all D&D but the American police force is incredibly militarized and very easily provoked. False reports are actually becoming a seriously dangerous problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting

A false report like that is also a serious felony, though. The police pretty much have to respond to a potential hostage situation in that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Groups like DERP are just embarrassing. Good job. You took a web server down. Okay..?

At least years from now everybody involved will be overcome with cringe at the fact that they were once a member of a "trolling organization".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dicky B posted:

Groups like DERP are just embarrassing. Good job. You took a web server down. Okay..?

At least years from now everybody involved will be overcome with cringe at the fact that they were once a member of a "trolling organization".

No see they took it down to fight the power and protect user rights!

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I haven't played Minecraft for a long while, but I started playing in the Alpha. I didn't like how the game developed. But my most vivid and cherished memories are of my griefs. Usually they involved drowning towns in water or lava. This was the most elaborate.

There was a server which had built itself up around a villager town. There were a few buildings around, but mostly people were storing things in the town. They had a nice little town square built up, and a massive tower reaching from bedrock to the sky. When I saw the tower, a lightbulb went off over my head.

The Sky Pyramid

I burned the town down using a flint and steel. The other people on the server were unimpressed, and told me to put it out. I did; I built a giant pyramid floating in the sky over the town, then placed water on top of it. Logged out. When I tried to log back in I was banned. Eventually I persuaded the server owner to let me back in and played nice for a while, building myself the nicest house on the server - a pair of evil towers joined by small bridges.

I quite liked my new home; it was suitably majestic for someone who'd drowned the main town in water. But in the end it wasn't enough. I grew bored with the server and found myself back up on the big tower, looking at the sky-pyramid, yearning for the release of a good solid grief. Below you can see the partly-rebuilt town.

I gave in. The impulse to chaos was too strong in me for me to allow the town to be rebuilt.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
How do you top getting the police on a guy?

I mean, one time I played starcraft and would run in and kill all a guys dudes until he just had workers and run away, and maybe he would think he could win or something. But that was it.

"Haha! You think you can win but in fact you will lose! Haha!" It's not really very good compared to getting a guy arrested by the police at gunpoint.

Incidentally, is it like, normal for the police in america to point assault rifles at a guy who's probably obese and in his underwear? I mean, they can't feel threatened by a youtuber type guy, right?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 31, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DreadLlama posted:

How the hell do you top that?

One time I played starcraft and would run in and kill all a guys dudes until he just had workers and run away, over and over. So maybe he'd think he could just barely win or something. I don't know.

But getting the police to arrest a guy? I hope they post that on youtube.

I hope they're dumb enough to do that; calling the police on someone for something as serious as a hostage situation is dangerous for everyone involved and is highly illegal to boot. Trolling and griefing people in games is fine and fun and all that, but when it crosses into the real world, and especially when it crosses into criminal territory then it has gone way too far.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Incidentally, is it like, normal for the police in america to point assault rifles at a guy who's probably obese and in his underwear? I mean, they can't feel threatened by a youtuber type guy, right?

They pretty much have to figure out the situation and can't assume anything until they have complete control of the situation. Otherwise you end up with the "carnival booth effect," where people planning something nasty do a shitload of trial runs and figure out what variables go under the radar so they can exploit them when they pull off something for real.

They did say he was released quite quickly. They probably cuffed him, went into his home and confirmed there were no hostages and then let him go.

The only counter you can do to this is imposing massive penalties to the hoaxer when he's caught. Most people aren't unhinged enough to take such a risk just to inconvenience someone for a bit (they're wasting several police officers' time way more individually than their target).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Eh, destroying and burning down peoples stuff in minecraft just doesn't strike me as good griefing, it's the online equivalent of kicking down a kids sandcastle, mostly just kinda dickish and doesn't involve a lot of thought.

The interesting ones are where you work within the system and bring down everything, like the guy who crashed a server economy with a overabundance of wool.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Yes, worryingly so. Radley Balko is a journalist that has been covering the rise of militarized police in the US if you're interested in the topic. He wrote a book recently along with a bunch of articles: http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%E2%80%9Cwhy_did_you_shoot_me_i_was_reading_a_book_the_new_warrior_cop_is_out_of_control/

This is particularly why "Swatting" is all sorts of hosed up, they easily could've gotten their target killed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
'Militarized police' is only a problem in the most major of cities in America, for what that's worth. I don't know where this kid is and I don't care to, but I'd be almost certain he's within spitting distance of one of the major, world-known cities like New York, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco, or similarly close to a really troubled city like Detroit or New Orleans. SWAT teams exist everywhere but they get way more leeway to do stuff around cities where they can routinely see some serious poo poo. I live near a city of 1 million, with the suburban sprawl encompassing another 1.5 million at least, and SWAT teams have some pretty strict criteria for even getting DEPLOYED, let alone utilized.

But yeah, calling the police and pressing their buttons to get an assault called reminds me of the crop of dumbfuck kids in the late 90s and early 2000s that JeffK was incepted to mock, defacing web sites and making 'crank calls' doing terrible poo poo like saying their family had died in a car crash, you know the drill. People in those situations also got the book thrown at them, just like the dumbfucks who try to goad police assaults get the book thrown at them now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bouchacha posted:

Yes, worryingly so. Radley Balko is a journalist that has been covering the rise of militarized police in the US if you're interested in the topic. He wrote a book recently along with a bunch of articles: http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%E2%80%9Cwhy_did_you_shoot_me_i_was_reading_a_book_the_new_warrior_cop_is_out_of_control/

This is particularly why "Swatting" is all sorts of hosed up, they easily could've gotten their target killed.

Yeah the police you guys have are crazy and seem to really enjoy the use of force over any other tactic. The scary thing is that the mindset is spreading to other countries and people are extremely supportive of it as long as its not aimed at them.

"swatting" someone isn't griefing, its pretty much attempted murder.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Watching a few of the videos posted.

I'm confused on one thing. People pay $50-$300 to watch these retards play video games badly? Why?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Ok rah rah America is terrible let's hope you all elect republicans so it can die quickly etc.

A thing I've found to be effective griefing is when you're at an arcade cabinet and you're about to lose but then you blow in the other guys ear. Totally distracts them and then you win.

But sometimes they punch you irl and then it's not really a fighting game anymore but just fighting. Then I usually lose.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Coolguye posted:

'Militarized police' is only a problem in the most major of cities in America...SWAT teams have some pretty strict criteria for even getting DEPLOYED, let alone utilized.

I'm really not interested in starting a debate in this thread, but I'm only replying because this is so completely and totally factually wrong. SWAT teams routinely get used for everyday warrants all over the country. See here: http://www.salon.com/2013/07/13/radley_balko_once_a_town_gets_a_swat_team_you_want_to_use_it/
The rise of SWAT teams nationwide, the number of annual SWAT deployments in the U.S., has gone from a few hundred in the ’70s, to 30,000 per year in the early ’80s, to 50,000 in 2005. That’s 100, 150 times a day in this country you have these heavily armed police teams breaking into homes, and the vast majority of times it’s to enforce laws against consensual crimes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Ok rah rah America is terrible let's hope you all elect republicans so it can die quickly etc.

A thing I've found to be effective griefing is when you're at an arcade cabinet and you're about to lose but then you blow in the other guys ear. Totally distracts them and then you win.

But sometimes they punch you irl and then it's not really a fighting game anymore but just fighting. Then I usually lose.

Dude, that's less griefing and more just being creepy and very unpleasant.

Edit for actual content:

A friend of mine was running a D&D campaign for a group of my friends. Throughout the night, he was getting frustrated that on a twenty sided die (d20, numbered 1-20), he was consistently rolling an average of 3. Now, he's played a lot of RPGs that use a d20, so he just rolled with it and figured that he was getting an unlucky streak. As the night rolls on, he's getting more and more frustrated at the dice and how the challenges he's carefully crafted for the players are just getting steamrolled through because the NPCs are incapable of doing anything.

A couple of hours into the session, one of the players starts cracking up. She tells him to look at his d20 more closely. Another friend of mine had swapped out his d20 so that instead of ranging from 1-20, it ranged from 1-5 with the numbers 1-5 repeated on different sides of the die so that it didn't look out of the ordinary at a casual glance. He immediately ragequit the game and stormed out to fits of laughter from the players.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 31, 2013

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Not to get all D&D but the American police force is incredibly militarized and very easily provoked. False reports are actually becoming a seriously dangerous problem.

Hostage situations are what the SWAT team is made for though, and I think the cops made the best possible decision in this instance. Rather than risk having a hostage situation go bad, they went in with full force immediately, arrested the guy, searched the house, found nothing wrong, and the only casualty was scaring the hell out of a Twitch guy. Whoever made that report is a moron though, he's either getting the book thrown at him, or he's going to have to cut a deal to sell out some other people in the group.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

The rise of SWAT teams nationwide, the number of annual SWAT deployments in the U.S., has gone from a few hundred in the ’70s, to 30,000 per year in the early ’80s, to 50,000 in 2005. That’s 100, 150 times a day in this country you have these heavily armed police teams breaking into homes, and the vast majority of times it’s to enforce laws against consensual crimes.
Yeah I'm not really interested in reading any article you've got because from the single quote you decided to put out there it's obvious they're not going to take into effect the city ordinances and city governance that I was just referring to. Again I'm not saying that this poo poo isn't a problem, it totally is, but when places like Salon look at it on a national level or whatever it misses the point. You can't say I'm 'factually wrong' when you're not even talking about the same facts I am in the first place. Anyway if you're so concerned about it I suggest you lobby for discreet police presence and police restraint laws in your municipality like I did, surprisingly enough being politically active can get results, particularly on a local level where one pissed off loudmouth can influence an election pretty heavily.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Militarized police are heavily area dependent. Even in smaller urban areas you have places like Maricopa County in Arizona where they drive tanks to burn down peoples houses because they have a couple legal firearms. They get away with it because "tough on crime!" BS and older/whiter people lap it up because minorities.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

:what:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Hostage situations are what the SWAT team is made for though, and I think the cops made the best possible decision in this instance. Rather than risk having a hostage situation go bad, they went in with full force immediately, arrested the guy, searched the house, found nothing wrong, and the only casualty was scaring the hell out of a Twitch guy. Whoever made that report is a moron though, he's either getting the book thrown at him, or he's going to have to cut a deal to sell out some other people in the group.

Again I don't want to go all D&D, but I really disagree with you.

Going through the DERP twitter feed the guy apparently has evaded capture through the super advanced technique of using Starbucks Wi-Fi and wearing a suit, so I'm not holding my breath.

Also it looks like they took out Runescape, though I guess its more surprising that game was still up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Also it looks like they took out Runescape, though I guess its more surprising that game was still up.
What's even more surprising is that it's still as reliable a source for scam stories as it's ever been. It loving stuns me that 70-somethings learned over the course of 10 years or so not to give your financial information to Nigerian princes, but idiots on Runescape are STILL getting bilked out of their digital poo poo with the same lines that worked back when the game was hot.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
This thread is griefing itself.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

What's even more surprising is that it's still as reliable a source for scam stories as it's ever been. It loving stuns me that 70-somethings learned over the course of 10 years or so not to give your financial information to Nigerian princes, but idiots on Runescape are STILL getting bilked out of their digital poo poo with the same lines that worked back when the game was hot.

Gullible old people are a diminishing resource - stupid kids are renewable, infinite, forever.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Wasn't there that guy on twitch that for a long time would only show up in a wheel chair and get pity money like that until one day he had his camera on accidentally and got up from his chair? That poo poo was pretty funny and a grief for all his viewers.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Green Puddin posted:

Wasn't there that guy on twitch that for a long time would only show up in a wheel chair and get pity money like that until one day he had his camera on accidentally and got up from his chair? That poo poo was pretty funny and a grief for all his viewers.

I think if you're going to call that a 'grief' then we're stretching the word to the point of uselessness unless we're going to talk about that time someone griefed me by stealing my wallet.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 31, 2013

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What's the difference between briefing and trolling?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

red19fire posted:

Griefing is a gaming term while trolling is more expansive. Trolling is also less about doing things to other people and more about making them mad with communication alone. Griefing is usually directly affects the person in some way.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

red19fire posted:

The military is fond of briefing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Again I don't want to go all D&D, but I really disagree with you.

So you don't want "to go all D&D" but you do it anyway, so let's drop this stupid discussion and start talking about griefing stories.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
In this wonderful day and age of sandbox games, you'd expect more sandbox gamers to understand that going AFK while your character is out in the open with a bunch of expensive equipment is a bad idea.

Sadly, not all EVE Online players understand this, and are very surprised when they return to their computer and discover that their precious mining barge was broken up for scrap while they were still inside.

It went on like this for several EVEmails, too.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've spent too much time on the internet--the only thing I felt reading that was a mild interest in how coyote was spelled. Not with an a? Huh.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dirk the Average posted:

Dude, that's less griefing and more just being creepy and very unpleasant.

Edit for actual content:

A friend of mine was running a D&D campaign for a group of my friends. Throughout the night, he was getting frustrated that on a twenty sided die (d20, numbered 1-20), he was consistently rolling an average of 3. Now, he's played a lot of RPGs that use a d20, so he just rolled with it and figured that he was getting an unlucky streak. As the night rolls on, he's getting more and more frustrated at the dice and how the challenges he's carefully crafted for the players are just getting steamrolled through because the NPCs are incapable of doing anything.

A couple of hours into the session, one of the players starts cracking up. She tells him to look at his d20 more closely. Another friend of mine had swapped out his d20 so that instead of ranging from 1-20, it ranged from 1-5 with the numbers 1-5 repeated on different sides of the die so that it didn't look out of the ordinary at a casual glance. He immediately ragequit the game and stormed out to fits of laughter from the players.

Sounds like there's a catpiss story behind this. Please, do go on. :munch:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Daman posted:

The military is fond of briefing.

Tablet posting is a way of griefing myself.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Green Puddin posted:

Posted 25 days ago in this very thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!
I can't believe I just discovered this thread! Guess I haven't been paying attention or something.

Anyway, I don't know if you guys ever played Epicmafia - basically a chat-based, in-browser Mafia game that was popular some years back. A few of my friends and I griefed the poo poo out of games we were in sometimes, and there were a lot of possibilities for griefing because the creators added a ton of different types of characters beyond the typical "Mafia" or "Doctor" roles. Obviously sometimes we'd just go for colluding and getting everyone to bandwagon on one person (since there were four of us this was very easy), and sometimes we'd reveal who the Mafia were if one of us was in it and throw the game. I think my favorites were with the weird classes, though - for instance, once, my friend was the Spy - a Mafia role where you can anonymously whisper to any player. This was fun on its own for a while, but then my friend realized that you can choose to leak messages sent to the chat, viewable by everyone. So basically he could anonymously spam the chat and nobody but those in the Mafia (and us) knew who it was. All the players got ridiculously distracted and/or annoyed and the game went nowhere.

Another fun Mafia role was the Ventriloquist - as the name suggests, they could speak as any player they wanted. This made bandwagoning even easier, and caused a shitload of confusion. Plus it was pretty easy to piss everyone off by throwing in random insults, which incited a lot of "I didn't say that!! That's not me!!!"s, which were always hilarious (and pretty obviously unnecessary).

However, the BEST thing that ever happened was any game with a Gunsmith - especially if one of us was the Gunsmith. The Gunsmith can give one player a gun, and then anyone with a gun can kill someone else instantly. This caused a shitload of chaos usually, and since the Gunsmith could give guns anonymously, we usually got a few shots off. It was also fun to try and bandwagon with the threat of death - "Vote [player] as mafia or I'll shoot you right now." And then we would, and all was well. Sometimes we'd threaten to kill people for no reason, too, of course! Or we'd try to get them to do dumb stuff. It was awesome.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

MizPiz posted:

I did something like that once. I borrowed some dice from a friend and for some reason he had a d20 that was printed as 1-10 twice and I used it for a good chunk of a session.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

rodbeard posted:

I did something like that once. I borrowed some dice from a friend and for some reason he had a d20 that was printed as 1-10 twice and I used it for a good chunk of a session.

Most of the first 20-sided dice were printed like this. It was a relic of the old wargaming days when I guess nobody realized that you could have dice that weren't Platonic solids, and more wargames used percentages (roll two dice: one die is the tens place, the other the ones place) than actual d20 results.

You were supposed to crayon in half of the numbers to make them recognizably different - like the blue numbers were the 11-20 results. Pain in the rear end. If I recall, the first D&D boxed sets came with dice like this made of lovely plastic that would round off in a couple years from wear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've spent too much time on the internet--the only thing I felt reading that was a mild interest in how coyote was spelled. Not with an a? Huh.

You thought coyote was spelled with an a? Gringo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Sadly(?) there's nothing really catpissy about the group. The guy who ragequit the game will occasionally ragequit games, but he's an otherwise quite pleasant person and there are warning signs far in advance when he's getting visibly upset with a game. We'll often purposely troll him a bit in games just for fun, but it's the kind of thing that all of us, him included, laugh about afterwards and it's all in good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

Bruceski posted:

You thought coyote was spelled with an a? Gringo.

Naw, I'm a gringo and I know how to spell it, he's from the city.

• Locked thread