Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mr. Stingly posted:

Good to see they're finally adding the function to rebind keys. It was super weird to be playing this game with WASD and realize there was no way to rebind it for my left handed-ness. Like every time I tried to play it was a reminder "dude, you're kind of crippled."

I've been avoiding playing it until I can switch the movement to the arrow keys. It was just too awkward trying to jump out of caves being chased by monsters and basically mashing the keyboard like I've got hook hands.

I'm left-handed and don't have any problems with the default controls. You either get used to WASD or you don't I guess. :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
SO how much of the full game is "in" now? This thread moves at the speed of light and I stopped playing just before the first wipe because I don't like losing my character. Will there be anymore wipes?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ScienceAndMusic posted:

SO how much of the full game is "in" now? This thread moves at the speed of light and I stopped playing just before the first wipe because I don't like losing my character. Will there be anymore wipes?

Less than half and yes, all the wipes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
For anyone bothered by the fact that crops only grow when you're standing looking at them, someone in the modding irc last week was working on making them check how long it'd been between update ticks and grow a proportionate amount. So you could plant them, go to another planet, come back an hour later and they'd be ready to harvest. I don't think he's released it yet though, he was worrying about the fact that you could also just log off the game for an hour and they'd still grow last I heard. I'm sure it'll turn up at some point though.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

worrying about the fact that you could also just log off the game for an hour and they'd still grow

Why is that a bad thing?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kly posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

Because balance man. Modders are nuts about that sort of stuff. It doesn't matter that it's entirely trivial to mod in ten billion pixels and all the corn you can eat, nobody wants to release a mod that gives players something for nothing. :psyduck:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've been playing a little State of Decay and that game has a feature that keeps the game world running after you quit, in a sense. Like, if you play one character for two long, his wounds and fatigue will accumulate, and he'll need to sort of rest up at the home base. So you can bring him home and switch control to another playable character. However, if instead you just quit and come back later, it'll have the same effect. Whether you were playing as someone else or not playing at all for an hour, the game still gives that injured character an hour's worth of rest. It's a neat little feature and it affects a lot of different areas within the game.

My point is that having crops grow while you're logged off is not going to affect the game's balance significantly in any way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if there's going to be any spreading biomes like Corruption this time...

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Gasmask posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to mod in enemies or NPCs yet? If they're all procedurally generated I'm not sure if there's scope for making our own.

I'd like to make this mockup a reality:

(also I need to improve my pixel art)

I love this.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Just a minor gripe:

So, it took fourteen and a half minutes traversing right to find this dungeon, the only one on the surface. This planet took about twenty to circumnavigate. Adding in all the fights and ore mining, it took close to an hour. There could be a dozen dungeons underground and I would never find them because to hell with spending ages digging through the rock and coming up empty.

It's probably been mentioned before but this game really needs a Star Trek-like tricorder. Just something to vaguely give the player some direction through flavor text, like "Readings indicate a structure east and below me." or "I'm detecting sentient life west of here." or even "I'm picking up some faint readings to the east." It encourages exploration, because it gives players a goal to seek out, instead of blindly (and boringly) running about.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Vib Rib posted:

I've been playing a little State of Decay and that game has a feature that keeps the game world running after you quit, in a sense. Like, if you play one character for two long, his wounds and fatigue will accumulate, and he'll need to sort of rest up at the home base. So you can bring him home and switch control to another playable character. However, if instead you just quit and come back later, it'll have the same effect. Whether you were playing as someone else or not playing at all for an hour, the game still gives that injured character an hour's worth of rest. It's a neat little feature and it affects a lot of different areas within the game.

My point is that having crops grow while you're logged off is not going to affect the game's balance significantly in any way.

The problem here is the difference between "balance" and "what mod makers think is balance".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Speedball posted:

I wonder if there's going to be any spreading biomes like Corruption this time...

It's not Terraria so there is no "other time" to compare it to. And since they aren't in now and the devs haven't hinted at them probably not no.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Trochanter posted:

Just a minor gripe:

So, it took fourteen and a half minutes traversing right to find this dungeon, the only one on the surface. This planet took about twenty to circumnavigate. Adding in all the fights and ore mining, it took close to an hour. There could be a dozen dungeons underground and I would never find them because to hell with spending ages digging through the rock and coming up empty.

It's probably been mentioned before but this game really needs a Star Trek-like tricorder. Just something to vaguely give the player some direction through flavor text, like "Readings indicate a structure east and below me." or "I'm detecting sentient life west of here." or even "I'm picking up some faint readings to the east." It encourages exploration, because it gives players a goal to seek out, instead of blindly (and boringly) running about.

In the future they'll be adding a planet scanner which show you the amount of dungeons and other goodies that are on a planet.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Azzents posted:

In the future they'll be adding a planet scanner which show you the amount of dungeons and other goodies that are on a planet.

I'd love to purchase ship upgrades... like enhanced teleporters, fuel efficiency engines, scanners, etc.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't see any point to making a planet that takes five minutes to circumnavigate, let alone 30 minutes. You're not going to find it's secrets and most of it will be empty.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin

Azzents posted:

That sounds good, but what I'm hoping is that it gives you a direction. A tool that says there are x dungeons and doomweapons on a planet isn't much good if it can't indicate where.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

:monocle:

As has already been said, Avians are by far the cutest. Add to that the fact that I randomly generated the name Beakbeak (Later I also got Birdbird), and I'm sold.

The randomly generated names are great. I've been playing a Hylotl named Bro-Lord and my friend has an Apex named Don Beefjeff.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

What exactly are you growing? It's possible it's just a very slow growth.

I tried every seed I had, on a couple of different planets as well to tinker with it.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Carecat posted:

I don't see any point to making a planet that takes five minutes to circumnavigate, let alone 30 minutes. You're not going to find it's secrets and most of it will be empty.

Agreeing with this. I actually played around a bit with the values for planet generation - for a planet with a single surface structure anything over a thousand blocks for planet map width feels a bit much to me. 1000 gives you a little wilderness, an interesting setpiece, and then everything under it down to the lava. Of course if you gently caress with the values too much the game starts crashing on load so I didn't mess with it much.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Trochanter posted:

Just a minor gripe:

If you are running your own server you can watch the server window when you fly to a new planet and it will say on the server console now many dungeons there are and also give coordinates. I haven't figured out yet how to know where I am coordinate wise in the game though. But if I see it say there are 2 dungeons I know that I can stop looking after I find 2.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Improbable Lobster posted:

The randomly generated names are great. I've been playing a Hylotl named Bro-Lord and my friend has an Apex named Don Beefjeff.

My favorite so far was an Apex named Freedom Kong.

:911:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Isn't dungeon generation slightly broken in Angry Koala, or was that fixed in the hotfix?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin

Trastion posted:

If you are running your own server you can watch the server window when you fly to a new planet and it will say on the server console now many dungeons there are and also give coordinates. I haven't figured out yet how to know where I am coordinate wise in the game though. But if I see it say there are 2 dungeons I know that I can stop looking after I find 2.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try that!

But on a general level, I'd still like to have some non-cheat way to hint at these places. A vague tricorder or scanner would be a great way to do that that meshes with the in-game universe.

I've got to admit, with sandbox games I tend to cheat if I want to find anything of interest. In Minecraft I turned on Creative mode and flew around until I found my first village. In Terraria I used a map editor to find a floating island. These game worlds are so large that it would've taken me hours to find them on my own. I just think it would be an improvement, from a gameplay standpoint, if you had an optional tool that said ":heysexy: Hey, maybe there's something cool over this way!"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well, it seems like weapons can have a sort of alt-fire mode. I found a 2-handed hammer that does fire damage and burns enemies when I left click, and poison damage and poisons enemies when I right click.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Adorable bird chat. My first randomly generated name which I stuck with for my very first character was Cuddlebeak :3:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best random name in the human champion of the free space market, Galtborn.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Best random name is Batman. Always be Batman.

Coincidentally, I came across this name as Human.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The best random name is the Avian Birdbird.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Trochanter posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try that!

But on a general level, I'd still like to have some non-cheat way to hint at these places. A vague tricorder or scanner would be a great way to do that that meshes with the in-game universe.

I've got to admit, with sandbox games I tend to cheat if I want to find anything of interest. In Minecraft I turned on Creative mode and flew around until I found my first village. In Terraria I used a map editor to find a floating island. These game worlds are so large that it would've taken me hours to find them on my own. I just think it would be an improvement, from a gameplay standpoint, if you had an optional tool that said ":heysexy: Hey, maybe there's something cool over this way!"

The answer to this is the same as for almost all of the other problems with the game: everybody knows about it, everybody wants it fixed, and the game is in early beta. Just wait it out and it'll either get modded or added by the developers or both.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
My first Avian's default name was Chickbringer. Whenever I enter any multiplayer server, I am almost immediately asked "Did you bring the chicks?" or "Where are the chicks?"!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Even though Floran is the best race, I found their random names sort of dull, I ended up calling myself Johnny Leafs.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How are you supposed to beat that penguin UFO thing? I have the full set of crafted Floran armor and a silly hammer called the Dire Brohammer that throws around poisoned bones. Tried to take it on the first time and died horribly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Now, it ain't as amazing as Onion Knight's hella fancy spaceship, but it's mine. :toot:

It also has the 'feature' of letting you remove the wall anywhere to make windows*! :v:
*Might result in asphyxiation.

Are there any suggestions for stuff to improve? I'm thinking about tossing it onto the modsite in a bit.
Also, I adjusted how the engines-thrusters look a bit after taking the picture.
And I figure I need to tweak the lights a bit.

e: oh my this is annoying.
Too many lights and the performance drops.
Too few, and you end up with a lot of dark spots.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 1, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Davoren posted:

Even though Floran is the best race, I found their random names sort of dull, I ended up calling myself Johnny Leafs.

So far I've been Paula Green, Emeril Lagrassy, and Giada De Lotus as character wipes necessitate new characters.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin

Zenzirouj posted:

The answer to this is the same as for almost all of the other problems with the game: everybody knows about it, everybody wants it fixed, and the game is in early beta. Just wait it out and it'll either get modded or added by the developers or both.

's cool. I know it's only a very early release and I'm having a great time with the game anyways.

Besides, I've found everything I need:

I have my throne, all's right with the universe.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

karl fungus posted:

How are you supposed to beat that penguin UFO thing? I have the full set of crafted Floran armor and a silly hammer called the Dire Brohammer that throws around poisoned bones. Tried to take it on the first time and died horribly.

I beat it quite easily first time (just started playing). I think the key is setting up a good arena. You want a place to hide so it can't ram you. Then jump out and bash its head in. Also spam healing items if you have them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My first Floran was Petalstabber and that's a pretty good description of what he does.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

TheChad posted:

I beat it quite easily first time (just started playing). I think the key is setting up a good arena. You want a place to hide so it can't ram you. Then jump out and bash its head in. Also spam healing items if you have them.

Yeah, when I beat it the one time (haven't really been playing due to the character/world/etc. wipes and "you might want to reroll" patches), I just ducked into a little L-shaped tunnel I had dug to get up a mountain and just took potshots at it with my iron bow. It never really got a good attack off on me and I was in a position where the small penguins couldn't really reach me, so it went down without giving me too much trouble (although it did kill a nearby NPC merchant and demolish her house that I had been living in, but since I was leaving the planet at that point anyways...).

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Davoren posted:

No randomly generated name is better than the mighty "DirtLicker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:toot:

The ship is up on the modsite:
http://forums.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/xan-union-corvette.788/

for anyone who's interested.

• Locked thread