Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

I forgot about this guy. Ed Roman was GBS 2.1 first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ed Roman is the biggest douche rear end in a top hat that has ever been involved with guitars in any capacity. Think about the heights of that achievement for a second.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
supposedly he's a nice guy but the tone king dude should probably kill himself

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

GreatGreen posted:

Ed Roman is the biggest douche rear end in a top hat that has ever been involved with guitars in any capacity. Think about the heights of that achievement for a second.

Someone at one of the guitar forums I went to swore he was a piece of poo poo and that he sold fake guitars. v:v:v

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rhopunzel posted:

Someone at one of the guitar forums I went to swore he was a piece of poo poo and that he sold fake guitars. v:v:v

I can't say anything about the quality of any of his guitars, but what I do know is that both a good friend of mine and I have called him before with the intent to buy from him. As in he didn't even have to sell us on anything. We just wanted some information before we made our purchases. In both instances, on separate days, he answered the phone with an immediate, horrible attitude, like he just couldn't believe the audacity of someone interrupting his day to try to give him money in exchange for an instrument.

My friend asked him about whether a guitar he was interested in was in stock and without another word Ed literally interrupted with "And just how do you plan to pay for this thing, kid? Are mommy and daddy going to buy it for you?" My friend was in high school at the time and had a relatively well-paying job so he could definitely afford whatever it was he was interested in. A few days before that, I had called in and asked about one of the brands of guitars he was carrying at the time, which he immediately told me were all pieces of poo poo, which honestly wouldn't be so bad on its own because hey it's just an opinion, but then he tried to sell me on I believe it was one of his Steinberger knockoffs, you know, those headless 80s style guitars with just enough body wood to house the electronics and nothing else, and would not even entertain the idea of discussing other guitars with me, even when I asked about them directly. He just kept deflecting back to whatever he wanted to talk about, which by the way was not even close to what I was looking for in any capacity, which I tried to explain to him more than once. Needless to say neither one of us bought anything from the guy.

I wish this was hyperbole and that I was exaggerating. Call it anecdotal if it makes you feel any better. I really wanted to like a guy with a guitar store that kick rear end, but what a douche.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 31, 2013

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

GreatGreen posted:

I can't say anything about the quality of any of his guitars, but what I do know is that both a good friend of mine and I have called him before with the intent to buy from him. As in he didn't even have to sell us on anything. We just wanted some information before we made our purchases. In both instances, on separate days, he answered the phone with an immediate, horrible attitude, like he just couldn't believe the audacity of someone interrupting his day to try to give him money in exchange for an instrument.

My friend asked him about whether a guitar he was interested in was in stock and without another word Ed literally interrupted with "And just how do you plan to pay for this thing, kid? Are mommy and daddy going to buy it for you?" My friend was in high school at the time and had a relatively well-paying job so he could definitely afford whatever it was he was interested in. A few days before that, I had called in and asked about one of the brands of guitars he was carrying at the time, which he immediately told me were all pieces of poo poo, which honestly wouldn't be so bad on its own because hey it's just an opinion, but then he tried to sell me on I believe it was one of his Steinberger knockoffs, you know, those headless 80s style guitars with just enough body wood to house the electronics and nothing else, and would not even entertain the idea of discussing other guitars with me, even when I asked about them directly. He just kept deflecting back to whatever he wanted to talk about, which by the way was not even close to what I was looking for in any capacity, which I tried to explain to him more than once. Needless to say neither one of us bought anything from the guy.

I wish this was hyperbole and that I was exaggerating. Call it anecdotal if it makes you feel any better. I really wanted to like a guy with a guitar store that kick rear end, but what a douche.

i've got a good friend with sort of a similar story. ed overcharges, is a complete narcissist, won't shut the gently caress up, ever, and wants to chip in his two cents, no matter what the freakin' topic is.

so I don't want to make a huge mistake, but is an ibanez Jet King acceptable? i mean, i really like the sound of the guitar. I think it could have done without that top bit of tortex imho, but drat i really like the feel of this fuckin guitar

am i in love with an ugly guitar?

its bad
isnt it

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
are the skeevy pics of the models holding shiny bc riches wearing like what looks like lingere from a box under the counter still on that guys site ive been waiting for them all this thread

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

lost hipster treasure

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Fender Stratocaster.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
http://www.edroman.com/featured/wbg.htm

quote:

My criteria is fairly strict, I am a stickler for fit and finish. I don't care how good a guitar looks in a picture, if it doesn't look good from 3 feet, I reject them. There are many small builders who have some pretty good designs, they just fail in the final execution of the product. I have seen some guitars with beautiful wood, with inlay work and glue ups that are not even mildly acceptable. I have seen some guitars that play well but the paint work is horrible. I have seen guitars where the paint is flawless but there are obvious flaws in the workmanship. In short it is rare that the whole package is perfect. I can remember when I was first starting, I had some problems myself.

Ha ha ha ha he's a stickler for fit and finish, as shown by every single guitar that's "featured" underneath the categories being rear end ugly and probably extremely overpriced. This guy seems like the ur-sperg when it comes to guitars, he's probably going to die alone buried under a mountain of ugly crap.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

dude, it's japan...

they get a pass for any weird poo poo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

thread challenge; show me a five string bass that isn't goofy and retarded

A little late, but

The hardware on this thing is rock-solid. The input jack is reinforced like a loving tank. The body is some weird polymer I think?Wikipedia says it's Luthite, a polymer developed specifically for guitars, although calling it lightweight is a loving joke, because it's by far the heaviest guitar I've ever played. It's also contoured on the back as well as the front (you can see he contours sort of by the light reflecting in those pictures) and so it feels really nice against me when I'm playing.

e: Ibanez Ergodyne EDB405, one of the early models (the later ones were a little weirder in shape and lost the 3-band EQ). I only bought it because my guitarist decided to write a bunch of songs for a 7-string and basically demanded I pick up a 5-string to match; I bought it on CL for $225 with a hardcase, straplocks and an extra set of strings (bass strings are loving expensive, a 5-string set is like $30-40)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2014

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

drunk asian neighbor posted:

A little late, but

I'm not going to say that's ugly but are the strings blue as well?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm not going to say that's ugly but are the strings blue as well?

No, just the lighting. Colored strings are goofy as gently caress

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

A little late, but

The hardware on this thing is rock-solid. The input jack is reinforced like a loving tank. The body is some weird polymer I think? It's also contoured on the back and so it feels really nice against me when I'm playing. Only downside is it's by far the heaviest loving thing I've ever slung around my neck.

e: Ibanez Ergodyne EDB405, one of the early models (the later ones were a little weirder in shape and lost the 3-band EQ). I only bought it because my guitarist decided to write a bunch of songs for a 7-string and basically demanded I pick up a 5-string to match; I bought it on CL for $225 with a hardcase, straplocks and an extra set of strings (bass strings are loving expensive, a 5-string set is like $30-40)

thats not that offensive tbqh and i have the worlds ugliest soundgear 500 - it was splattered with brown housepaint, covered in skull stickers and had the fret numbers CARVED INTO THE NECK

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
that's goofy, but not all the way retarded. then again this is subjective

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
all of these guitars,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfGvhDYjyA

also holy gently caress this guy just wont shut the gently caress up

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's goofy, but not all the way retarded.

Kinda like that spergy guy with all the ugly guitars who wants to have Vai's manbabies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh and that's totally a wig/weave

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rob Ford posted:

Kinda like that spergy guy with all the ugly guitars who wants to have Vai's manbabies.

Don't compare me to that fucknugget

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Harry in Rio posted:

i've got a good friend with sort of a similar story. ed overcharges, is a complete narcissist, won't shut the gently caress up, ever, and wants to chip in his two cents, no matter what the freakin' topic is.

so I don't want to make a huge mistake, but is an ibanez Jet King acceptable? i mean, i really like the sound of the guitar. I think it could have done without that top bit of tortex imho, but drat i really like the feel of this fuckin guitar

am i in love with an ugly guitar?

its bad
isnt it

guitar is butt ugly but if you like the sound and feel it Does Not Matter

plus it's cool ugly not sperg ugly so if your halfway attractive you can probably pull it off

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

A little late, but

no need ot justify the purchase, man. those basses always have great action. i'm a split-pickup purist, but you're not going to find one on a 5 string in that price range. best thing you could get that suits your needs, there

still ugly tho the curvy shiny smooth bodies are what alien poop looks like

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mclast posted:

no need ot justify the purchase, man. those basses always have great action. i'm a split-pickup purist, but you're not going to find one on a 5 string in that price range. best thing you could get that suits your needs, there

still ugly tho the curvy shiny smooth bodies are what alien poop looks like

It does but it's heavy and I barely use the low string and I bought a Spector Performer for $80 (I think they were like $5-600 new) and it's the greatest thing ever

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
just tell me you play through a 15'' speaker any other transgression is forgivable

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Not you, that Professor Guitar guy who keeps giving the history lessons and lectures in here.

Hey OP, is it cool to also post ugly/dumb/stoopid guitar poo poo, cause there's a lot of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Handen posted:

For me it may have been down to how the guitar hadn't been that well kept in the 20+ years it had been around. It felt super light and the neck was bowed, but every attempt to adjust the neck just made it worse thanks to the "stabilizer" fin. If you can find a nice CLEAN example of a G707 that had been taken care of, maybe think about it, but I won't ever buy one again and I've got a GR700 with the revision v1.5 chip.

this definitely sounds like the previous owner treated it like poo poo. everyone i know who has owned any piece of roland equipment (guitar, keyboard or drum) has had nothing but awesome things to say about the build quality of them.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rob Ford posted:

Hey OP, is it cool to also post ugly/dumb/stoopid guitar poo poo, cause there's a lot of it.

hey boo, go apeshit. try to not to break any tables

even if i like silverburst guitars

baby don't hurt me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
those old john patrucci Mesa/Boogie adds that used to run in guitar world were just so hilariously terrible

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

all of these guitars,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfGvhDYjyA

also holy gently caress this guy just wont shut the gently caress up

man dont get my wrong all his guitars are terrible and he's basically everything i hate about music but listening to him jjust talk about guitars he just seenms like some dork that really likes guitars and gets to play with his favorite toy all the time and i just want to be happy for him

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

man thats gross posted:

man dont get my wrong all his guitars are terrible and he's basically everything i hate about music but listening to him jjust talk about guitars he just seenms like some dork that really likes guitars and gets to play with his favorite toy all the time and i just want to be happy for him

i think like many things, batio himself probably sucks a lot less than his fans do

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I just want to wish everyone in this thread a happy new year

would anyone like to play a game of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjAPyN7NJDo

happy new year

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

:( I don't think I am a "fucknugget." I've just been trying to GBS with people who kicked off the thread with my beloved guitars; and show some of the technical side of owning and playing. I don't think you have to be either to make good music. My favorite guitarist is Robben Ford and I started playing because of SRV, not EVH or Vai. I never even got into Malmsteen.

I bet if my collection was all Fenders or Gibsons I'd get a different response here.

Is this Spector Legend 5 Classic an ugly bass?

Do you even like this Ibanez USA Custom, built in California, with Tiger-stripe maple and a Bird's-eye maple neck, with a Mahogany body? If not, is it because of the zebra H/S/H electronics? Or some other reason that isn't personal to me?

Or how about the hard-tail swamp ash RG471AH, with Eric Johnson pickups that I covered and potted myself? That's a DiMarzio True Velevet in the middle. Both of these last two guitars have series/parallel push/pull pots.

This one and the Strat Style are the ones I play these days, because they don't have vibrato bars to set up, and stringing them/detuning them takes minutes.

Well, please listen to some Robben Ford. Not Rob Ford. The guitarist, not the Toronto fatso.

Politician (Cream cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k
Worried Life Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU

Happy New Gear, everyone.

VVV I get your message.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 1, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3JDXnK2Xc

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3robgQz4Ig

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

:( I don't think I am a "fucknugget." I've just been trying to GBS with people who kicked off the thread with my beloved guitars; and show some of the technical side of owning and playing. I don't think you have to be either to make good music. My favorite guitarist is Robben Ford and I started playing because of SRV, not EVH or Vai. I never even got into Malmsteen.

I bet if my collection was all Fenders or Gibsons I'd get a different response here.

Is this Spector Legend 5 Classic an ugly bass?

Do you even like this Ibanez USA Custom, built in California, with Tiger-stripe maple and a Bird's-eye maple neck, with a Mahogany body? If not, is it because of the zebra H/S/H electronics? Or some other reason that isn't personal to me?

Or how about the hard-tail swamp ash RG471AH, with Eric Johnson pickups that I covered and potted myself? That's a DiMarzio True Velevet in the middle. Both of these last two guitars have series/parallel push/pull pots.

This one and the Strat Style are the ones I play these days, because they don't have vibrato bars to set up, and stringing them/detuning them takes minutes.

Well, please listen to some Robben Ford. Not Rob Ford. The guitarist, not the Toronto fatso.

Politician (Cream cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k
Worried Life Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU

Happy New Gear, everyone.

Spectors are sweet fucken basses and that Ibanez has a pretty cool finish but that doesn't change the fact that you're a tremendous sperglord and nobody is going to forget how you spent 10 pages of this thread acting like a loving jackass. Also stop trying to show off your guitars. We get it, you have a bunch of them. Some of them are loving ugly and were posted in this thread, because this is the ugly guitar thread. Nobody cares about your custom Eric Johnson pickups or whatever the gently caress.

e: please make your new years resolution to not post in this thread anymore

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
But they're not ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you're not from my generation or my background you probably don't understand why these instruments are so inherently special. They may not look nice to you but they have features that didn't exist before they came along, so we love them.

Calling me names doesn't make you any more correct in your opinions.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
please go away

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreenAcidRage posted:

please go away
You're very polite.

I mean, I have to go because it's New Year's Day and I still have to work. See you soon, unless you just, you know, leave me alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Rank these three things that ruin a guitar thread:

1) Faustus

2) People who can't stop talking about (how much they hate) Steve Vai

3) Faustus making long posts about Steve Vai

• Locked thread