Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am watching the walking dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

detectivemonkey posted:

Alcohol did not kill germs, they multiplied overnight and will soon overtake me. Avenge my death, ladythread!

Aww, every time I've gone out drinking while even the slightest bit sick, it's always made things worse. Hope you get better!

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I used to watch the Walking Dead, then I realized part of the way through season 2 that it was kind of boring and I'm just really sick of the zombie apocalypse thing (and most post apocalyptic fiction in general). Of course now that I've noticed, it's like every single movie/video game/show is something about "virus causes the end of the world and finally gives us an excuse to shoot people! :supaburn: "

My exceptions: the Fallout franchise and The Road are both pretty good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

why

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

To see rick cry like a little bitch

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
i lik when rick has his emotional scenes, and it's a british man trying to maintain a southern accent and be sad, and basically he ends up sounding like no else on earth has ever talked

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Kimmalah posted:

Aww, every time I've gone out drinking while even the slightest bit sick, it's always made things worse. Hope you get better!

I used to watch the Walking Dead, then I realized part of the way through season 2 that it was kind of boring and I'm just really sick of the zombie apocalypse thing (and most post apocalyptic fiction in general). Of course now that I've noticed, it's like every single movie/video game/show is something about "virus causes the end of the world and finally gives us an excuse to shoot people! :supaburn: "

My exceptions: the Fallout franchise and The Road are both pretty good.

The show got boring, but got more interesting this season, and I like to see all of the terrible things that happen to rick, and all of the brain damaged things the characters do, and the gratuitous violence. Amc is marathoning it today

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

no one good has ever been named rick

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The show got boring, but got more interesting this season, and I like to see all of the terrible things that happen to rick, and all of the brain damaged things the characters do, and the gratuitous violence. Amc is marathoning it today

Yeah I tried to give the show a chance again in season 3 but problem is I hate pretty much all the major characters like Rick, Andrea and Michonne especially. And like I said I don't give a poo poo about the "gratuitous zombie kills" part sooo there's just not really anything in the show for me anymore. Not a big loss.

I actually tried reading the comic a few years before the show was even made and I had the same problems.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
if you want to watch the walking dead, watch the pilot, watch clear, then skip to season 4.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Getting ready to go to a party with the hick part of the family
current plan to survive is to be a loving adult

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

no one good has ever been named rick

how about trevor

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

if you want to watch the walking dead, watch the pilot, watch clear, then skip to season 4.

I think a lot of my problem is just that I'm not big on the survivalist thing, so I watch stuff like this with people fighting to survive zombies and think "what's the loving point?" If the world ends, I hope I just die in whatever apocalyptic event sets it off.

AriadneThread posted:

Getting ready to go to a party with the hick part of the family
current plan to survive is to be a loving adult

As someone with her own hick relatives, my advice is to desperately cling to whoever seems the most normal in the room.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i had my hick family experience over christmas. one of my uncles talked about how the EPA was behind a huge fraud (turns out it was a high-level employee lying about something completely unrelated) and then another chimed in to talk about how global warming was a huge hoax.

it was painful

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the problem with The Wire is that stupid loving boxing dude's story is hella boring

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Sabel posted:

Once you're familiar with a small number of more common radicals and think of kanji/hanzi as two or three mini-kanji all stacked against each other in a cube it goes from a ludicrous, superhuman feat down to difficult but still within the realm of feasible: That シ-looking thing (technically incorrect) on the left side of 海 (ocean), 汗 (sweat), 油 (oil), 池, 港 (harbor) generally implies or suggests something to do with fluids or moisture.

IIRC it's a really simplified version of 水 (water). It also helps to know that most characters are meant to phonosemantic in Mandarin, i.e. having parts that both show sound and meaning. For instance, 馹 is said rì and means "relay horse"; it has the hanzi for horse (馬) in it, but it also has the character for day/sun (日), which is said rì as well. This doesn't hold up well in Japanese even using on readings, but knowing that allows you to separate the useless phonetic part from the semantic part.

Also you wanted yuri recs, but what kind are you looking for? There's more realistic stuff and then there's fluffy schoolgirls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
sarasponda sarasponda sarasponda ret set set

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

i had my hick family experience over christmas. one of my uncles talked about how the EPA was behind a huge fraud (turns out it was a high-level employee lying about something completely unrelated) and then another chimed in to talk about how global warming was a huge hoax.

it was painful

My aunt works for Northrop Grumman and she scares me a lil bit to be honest, she's always getting really enthusiastic about how many missiles they can fit on a plane and how much more stuff they can blow up now

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I heard some people don't like this thread, we should just shut it down

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Who cares what jerks think?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
i want to sleep more

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
puppies, like all babies, steal sleep from others

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Who cares what jerks think?

Hey I tried that gin you recommended last night, it was awesome. Thanks!

e: gently caress the haters

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Donkay NOoo posted:

I heard some people don't like this thread, we should just shut it down

nah they should just dwi

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Hey I tried that gin you recommended last night, it was awesome. Thanks!

e: gently caress the haters

Glad you liked it! I myself had red wine, a little whiskey and some prosecco last night. For some reason, my mouth tasted like vermouth this morning, it was really strange and gross

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still have a headache from last nightttt

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Gyre posted:

IIRC it's a really simplified version of 水 (water). It also helps to know that most characters are meant to phonosemantic in Mandarin, i.e. having parts that both show sound and meaning. For instance, 馹 is said rì and means "relay horse"; it has the hanzi for horse (馬) in it, but it also has the character for day/sun (日), which is said rì as well. This doesn't hold up well in Japanese even using on readings, but knowing that allows you to separate the useless phonetic part from the semantic part.

Also you wanted yuri recs, but what kind are you looking for? There's more realistic stuff and then there's fluffy schoolgirls.
Whatever you'd call Ayumi and Aika

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

My aunt works for Northrop Grumman and she scares me a lil bit to be honest, she's always getting really enthusiastic about how many missiles they can fit on a plane and how much more stuff they can blow up now

lol i have a hard enough time dealing with my idiotic relatives, if i had one that was enthusiastic about literal murder i think i might claw my eyes out

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I bet if you pushed her to the limit about why she gets such a boner she'll intellectualize the war fetish as "that's just human nature, if we don't others will!"

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
off-topic: are there still dudes lurking the lady thread

don't be shy

come see how the other half lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CDY8zVFVo

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I'm pretty sure a good 40% of posters itt are dudes

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tjadeth posted:

off-topic: are there still dudes lurking the lady thread

i'm a dude. i think my posting makes that obvious

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I ain't hiding my dangle. I just like the chill atmosphere of this thread.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

its a good thread and a "safe space" for ladies to talk about lady things but not even close to everyone posting in it is a lady and thats ok its chill and cool and full of good posts

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
tbh I hardly even notice if someone posting is male or female unless they are specifically one of those Lurking Dudes who comes into the thread to make a big deal about how they HAVE A PENIS

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
earlier i accidentally said that the problem with the wire is the boxer guy, i should say other thn mnulty which is the obvious problemo numero unoo

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Tjadeth posted:

tbh I hardly even notice if someone posting is male or female unless they are specifically one of those Lurking Dudes who comes into the thread to make a big deal about how they HAVE A PENIS

if only they could refrain and just i dunno be normal they wouldn't just get hella ignored :(

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
mcnulty is a dumb rear end in a top hat. i liked chris, murderous psychopath, more than him

he should have died instead of bodie. :(

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wildlife Analysis posted:

mcnulty is a dumb rear end in a top hat. i liked chris, murderous psychopath, more than him

he should have died instead of bodie. :(

mcnulty sucks horribly and is only there to make white guys watching feel connected to the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

McNulty has his moments, and I rather liked Cutty's arc. The journalists were the weakest part for me, and I wasn't too interested in Carcetti either.

The absolute worst character on The Wire is Namond's mom

• Locked thread