Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Rexicon1 posted:

The "when your older argument" is a way old people try to end a conversation and try to keep their self respect when they have nothing to retort with. I often just let my mother "win" with that one and try not to strangle each other over holidays. It's the only way not to implode into a black hole of infinite frustration.

Not to mention the "daughter protecting" thing is really creepy. Sure it's normal to want to protect your kids, but men singling out daughters as requiring special protection from sexual knowledge/experience is just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Eventually you get old enough that it doesn't work. But you have to get into your 30's, have a kid and a mortgage, cut checks to pay taxes, the usual trapping of full on adulthood.

It is sort of nice, because then people just agree to disagree.

Have pretty much all those things save the kid part. Unless something magical happens next year when I turn thirty, I still suspect my mom will ask me to wait til I'm older.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Possible biohazard liability maybe.

That's why they wouldn't give my little brother his gallbladder.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ocean Book posted:

Gross and Weird are usually good criteria for making things illegal.
Who will be the Rosa Parks of the placenta?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I really don't have any strong opinion on keeping the placenta, but I would like to remind everyone that Rick Santorum & family took home an entire dead baby with them, and that's most definitely far worse.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't forget the Bush-in-a-jar.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

joeburz posted:

I fully expect that any "defects" in his mind will somehow be OK if his grandchild ends up that way, much like how GOP congresspeople end up supporting gay rights once their child comes out(provided they aren't an archlich incapable of compassion on any level like Cheney).

I remember hearing something along the lines of "Republicans are more likely to come around on gay marriage because they'll never wake up one day and find out their children are black and poor."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Don't forget the Bush-in-a-jar.

I had totally forgotten about that one.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Isn't the placenta a rich source of stem cells, if kept in the right conditions? The mothers who are taking them home are probably doing so if their child needs a transplant any time in their life.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

meristem posted:

Isn't the placenta a rich source of stem cells, if kept in the right conditions? The mothers who are taking them home are probably doing so if their child needs a transplant any time in their life.
No, they're not doing it for that reason. It's not common and it's harmless so I don't want to act like it's a big deal but some people eat it and some people do some new-agey ceremony with it.

Some people (have others) harvest/store cord blood for what you're talking about, though that falls somewhere between playing things super-safe and I'm-rich-so-might-as-well and a scam.

edit: less commonly, people CAN have others store placenta for those cells etc. But if anyone is taking their placenta home to store themselves for future use I haven't heard of it.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

OOPS Fox News

The host is in Palm Beach and asks a group of two women "say something about tonight?"

the girls response was not bleeped

"We are going to gently caress poo poo up"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 2, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Unfortunately, they can afford the fine.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Media Matters has been doing an amazing job in making compilation videos of right wing media in 2013.

"How Conservatives treated women in 2013"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhKFx4A9FuM

quote:

Rush calls for all Female Barracks so that all the women are synchronized in their periods so they can release the "banshees" on the enemy

Islamaphobia on Fox News in 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVl3QrVVc0o

and

Top Ten Things Fox Called "Wussification" In 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME609bT6HFQ

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 2, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

pangstrom posted:

No, they're not doing it for that reason. It's not common and it's harmless so I don't want to act like it's a big deal but some people eat it and some people do some new-agey ceremony with it.

Some people (have others) harvest/store cord blood for what you're talking about, though that falls somewhere between playing things super-safe and I'm-rich-so-might-as-well and a scam.

edit: some people can also have others store placenta for those cells etc. But if anyone is taking placentas home to store them themselves for future use I haven't heard of it.
Some people are just loving weird. As long as their being weird doesn't affect me, who cares, right? I can imagine in America's litigious society there being some rule about placentas, but at the end of the day if someone wants to take it home for any reason and the thing isn't instant death in a jar, then great. Then they can call me a bigot for calling them weird and I can roll my eyes at them for being weird and we can all still happily be American and grab a beer or whatever.

Still, my guess is that it's down to litigiousness, not bigotry, because hospitals back home have a habit of erring on the side of caution after decades of regulation and lawsuits.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Unfortunately, they can afford the fine.

What fine? It's cable, the FCC literally cannot do anything about sex, language, or violence to them. TBS could start airing Game of Thrones tomorrow and the FCC couldn't do jack poo poo.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

LP97S posted:

What fine? It's cable, the FCC literally cannot do anything about sex, language, or violence to them. TBS could start airing Game of Thrones tomorrow and the FCC couldn't do jack poo poo.

I like that they're in Miami around midnight, and it's a "family" show. IT'S loving MIAMI AT MIDNIGHT ON NYE.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Placentas are central to religious practices of the Hmong, so much so that they often pick doctors to supervise child births based on based on which doctors let them take them home. Maybe legally requiring hospitals to provide the placenta when asked will let more Hmong feel comfortable using modern medical care. It seems like such a small thing.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Media Matters has been doing an amazing job in making compilation videos of right wing media in 2013.

"How Conservatives treated women in 2013"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhKFx4A9FuM

How can women watch Fox News and other sources listening to this and agree with it? This is mind blowing, this whole video is insane.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I like that they're in Miami around midnight, and it's a "family" show. IT'S loving MIAMI AT MIDNIGHT ON NYE.

And he called her a "tall drink of water," class act guy.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ReindeerF posted:

Some people are just loving weird. As long as their being weird doesn't affect me, who cares, right? I can imagine in America's litigious society there being some rule about placentas, but at the end of the day if someone wants to take it home for any reason and the thing isn't instant death in a jar, then great. Then they can call me a bigot for calling them weird and I can roll my eyes at them for being weird and we can all still happily be American and grab a beer or whatever.

Still, my guess is that it's down to litigiousness, not bigotry, because hospitals back home have a habit of erring on the side of caution after decades of regulation and lawsuits.
Yeah, hospitals are becoming legal fortresses. Everything is prohibited-unless-explicitly-authorized (and even some things you legally should be able to do are usually difficult, like try to get your MRI scan in a digital format... techs and nurses are doing most of the work and they understandably default to "no" with uncommon requests). This isn't some stealth tort reform argument, it's just expressing a reality.

I hate pseudoscience but I just celebrated Christmas and sold my kid on the magic gift-bringing moral-accounting man and flying reindeer etc. so yeah it's a shades-of-gray thing with me, too.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 2, 2014

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

LP97S posted:

Basic cable mainly self-censors for advertising. We can't have Comedy Central let loose an obvious gently caress rather than a bleep now can we, little Timmy could hear that next to a Huggies commercial!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It was announced Bob Grant just died. He was a mainstay of New York City radio for decades and was considered the father of conservative talk as we know it.

That reminds me of a few years ago when he thought the Ohio state flag was the pending Obama flag:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2008/10/16/radio-host-bob-grant-asserted-that-obama-create/145712

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I know what you mean but I feel like I have to point out that South Park had Kyle dropping an F-bomb in the middle of that episode where they say poo poo like 500 times.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

^^Goddamnit

Radio Nowhere posted:

Basic cable mainly self-censors for advertising. We can't have Comedy Central let loose an obvious gently caress rather than a bleep now can we, little Timmy could hear that next to a Huggies commercial!

Though a few years back they did have that one southpark episode with a bunch of "fucks" in it. So they don't even really care themselves (it was aired at like 11pm, which was almost certainly a factor).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The traditional distinction has always been before and after 22:00 Central or 23:00 Eastern.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

It was announced Bob Grant just died. He was a mainstay of New York City radio for decades and was considered the father of conservative talk as we know it.

That reminds me of a few years ago when he thought the Ohio state flag was the pending Obama flag:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2008/10/16/radio-host-bob-grant-asserted-that-obama-create/145712

So how did Obama kill him like he did with Andrew Breitbart? Can not wait until Conservative media blames it on Obamacare.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Angry Bum posted:

So how did Obama kill him like he did with Andrew Breitbart? Can not wait until Conservative media blames it on Obamacare.

If Obama's death panels were real certainly the father of conservative talk would be rounded up first.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beatlegs posted:

Not to mention the "daughter protecting" thing is really creepy. Sure it's normal to want to protect your kids, but men singling out daughters as requiring special protection from sexual knowledge/experience is just weird.

Not really. I get it. I have a son and am glad I do, for several reasons. My brother in law has two daughters and I don't think it's creepy, weird or much of a stretch to think that he has the harder job, if for no other reason than the acknowledgement that women are not treated equally under the law and in society in general, so maybe they might require "extra" or "special" protection by their parents.

I get what you mean as well but, as a parent, I think it'd harder and scarier overall to raise a daughter than a son.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really. I get it. I have a son and am glad I do, for several reasons. My brother in law has two daughters and I don't think it's creepy, weird or much of a stretch to think that he has the harder job, if for no other reason than the acknowledgement that women are not treated equally under the law and in society in general, so maybe they might require "extra" or "special" protection by their parents.

I get what you mean as well but, as a parent, I think it'd harder and scarier overall to raise a daughter than a son.
I think it depends on what you mean by "protection from sexual knowledge/experience". It's one thing to give extra attention to a daughter over a son when it comes to teaching them about sex, since obviously the consequences of sex can be much more severe for a girl than a boy. It's another thing to "protect" a daughter by keeping facts about sex hidden from them so they will remain "pure" or whatever. I think beatlegs was referring to the latter.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just have to drop the knowledge that was dropped on my when we had my daughter: If you have a boy you have to worry about one penis. If you have a girl you have to worry about all the penises.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I think he was more going for the Purity Ring/Ball/Ceremony stuff versus like enrolling your daughter in an aikido class.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you have a girl, you only have to worry about one vagina. If you have a boy you have to worry about all the vaginas.

Oh wait, no one says that because we don't associate having sex with moral tarnishment for boys the way we do with girls.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

"Feminsim is radical and based"

Yes it is, Limbaugh. Yes it is.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Besides, I plan on having a gay son so yes I will have to worry about all the penises with him :colbert:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think it was just a reference to keeping daughters unpregant for practical purposes as opposed to a moral judgement based on gender or that's how I took it at least.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

President Kucinich posted:

"Feminsim is radical and based"

Based Greer

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Feminism hosed my bitch

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I think it was just a reference to keeping daughters unpregant for practical purposes as opposed to a moral judgement based on gender or that's how I took it at least.

I don't understand the practical purpose. Not only can a girl take a pill every morning that stops pregnancy even in case of a broken/forgotten condom, but Plan B or abortions are available to her after the fact.

A boy has none of those guaranteed ways to avoid being liable for child support should he have an 'oops'. I see no reason to take sex ed for boys less seriously than for girls.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

There is the fact that a daughter is more likely to be raped/molested/sexually harassed than a son. That reality is influenced by our hosed up views of gender and sexuality, but you should probably account for it.

Being more protective of a daughter is not just sexual purity bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand the practical purpose. Not only can a girl take a pill every morning that stops pregnancy even in case of a broken/forgotten condom, but Plan B or abortions are available to her after the fact.

Good parenting for daughters means making sure that she knows about and has access to all of those, which is not as common as it ought to be.