Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I wonder if the hide the game controllers trick will work on my roommate...this requires some thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Best Tasting! posted:

so what you're saying is break my right arm so i can paint my nails better

I just pay someone to give me 80s coke whore nails. It's great 'cause it lasts way longer than when I do it and I get to chat with my manicurist about life in Vietnam.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Women's Rights? posted:

i got the UD naked 3 palette as (another) christmas present to myself

hnnnnnnng i'm in love with the entire thing holy poo poo i will never wear anything else

This bitch knows what's up. Thanks to that loving palette I just had to go out and get the eye lash primer potion in Eden.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I painted my nails occasionally/rarely growing up, and I was always a total fuckup with my left hand. When I got hooked on the nail polish thread and started doing them regularly (2-4 times a month), it was unbelievable how good it got and how fast. Just do it 5-10 times and your brain will be like "ugh I guess you want to use that space now, ugh fine." Don't give up :unsmith:

I'm still a total fuckup at writing/drawing/etc. with my left hand, though!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Yeah, I was gonna say. Manicures and pedicures are pretty cheap. There's a (nice) place around here that does gel manis for $15 Monday through Thursday. My friend treats herself once a week and it always looks great.

I'm way too fickle, and use my hands far too much, to wear the same polish for a week, though

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Mani/pedis are INSANELY priced in Japan. I miss my Vietnamese guy in Cali.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

poopkitty posted:

Mani/pedis are INSANELY priced in Japan. I miss my Vietnamese guy in Cali.

See if you can get a Zainichi or FOB Korean place for nails. If you ever take a booze cruise to korea their Mani/pedi set ups are off the chain.

Full disclosure: I am a dude so I cannot comment on their polish selection. But I did enjoy having 3 Asian ladies cleaning both hands and feet at the same time. Made me feel like a pharoh for like 25k won / 20 USD.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

with extra cheese posted:

Weird tip that totally works: always paint the nails on your dominant hand first. It sounds really weird, but it really does help.

this is true and helped a lot when I started painting mine! just gonna pimp the nail thread again, we're friendly and like to give excessive amounts of advice to new people

for you guy lurkers in this thread interested in nail polish, we've got like three guys who post regularly

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Women's Rights? posted:

i can't imagine how people who get them frequently deal with it

Hardcore narcotics. Fioricet, whaddup.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I get migraines from scents.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's something luxurious about having a team of attractive women clean parts of your body. Like 2000 years ago who could have that? Emperors and Pharos, that's who. So I am a modern day king paying like 15-30 bux for a half hour of such treatment.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Then you get a creeping fungus from the pedicure basin.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
It's snowing here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

KirbyKhan posted:

There's something luxurious about having a team of attractive women clean parts of your body. Like 2000 years ago who could have that? Emperors and Pharos, that's who. So I am a modern day king paying like 15-30 bux for a half hour of such treatment.

See personally that would make me feel creepy even though I was paying. I can clean my feet myself, I don't need someone else to do it for me in order to do it properly (like say a decent haircut).

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
happy birthday to me :toot:

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I get a pedi once a month and it's totally worth it. It's nice to relax and read or chat depending on my mood. I like having cute smooth feet.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
I love pedicures but in the summer I have the nastiest heels. The pedicure people hate me because it takes like three times as long for my feet. They have to break out the razor blade thing.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

grapey posted:

I love pedicures but in the summer I have the nastiest heels. The pedicure people hate me because it takes like three times as long for my feet. They have to break out the razor blade thing.

according to the ladies in the nail thread you can do a footsoak with blue cross cuticle remover to get rid of that sort of thing, I never have that issue though because I always wear sneakers so my heels are nice and not gross

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Kimmalah posted:

See personally that would make me feel creepy even though I was paying. I can clean my feet myself, I don't need someone else to do it for me in order to do it properly (like say a decent haircut).

I dunno, the pedicure I get is usually way more thorough than I'd do myself and the paint job is way neater. Plus pedicures are like major profit for the salon ladies (less time than a manicure yet they charge more) so I don't any first world guilt about getting them. One of my former manicurists quit her job at Silicon Labs because she made more money and had a more flexible schedule working in the shop.

So I broke down and ordered hipster pizza for dinner delivered by a cute hipster guy rode on his bike. I didn't realize it was the wrong order until after he left but I was so hungry I didn't worry about it and ate it anyway (still good, fresh spinach, artichokes, and goat cheese). But the cute hipster guy just showed up again on his bike with the right pizza, apologizing profusely for bringing the wrong one and giving the new one for free. :3: I need to go write a glowing review on Yelp. Spartan Pizza in Austin, good guys.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

t_violet posted:

I dunno, the pedicure I get is usually way more thorough than I'd do myself and the paint job is way neater. Plus pedicures are like major profit for the salon ladies (less time than a manicure yet they charge more) so I don't any first world guilt about getting them. One of my former manicurists quit her job at Silicon Labs because she made more money and had a more flexible schedule working in the shop.

Well I don't ever paint my finger or toenails, which is probably a big factor in why I really have no desire for a manicure or pedicure. As long as my feet are reasonably clean, that's good enough for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My feet are always carved up to poo poo because of the shoes I wear but I don't care. In summer I like to go barefoot everywhere also so they toughen up.

I hiked Yellowstone barefoot :black101:. I probably couldn't do it now; winters here are too long and my feet soften up too much.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

It's snowing here.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Pick posted:

My feet are always carved up to poo poo because of the shoes I wear but I don't care. In summer I like to go barefoot everywhere also so they toughen up.

I hiked Yellowstone barefoot :black101:. I probably couldn't do it now; winters here are too long and my feet soften up too much.

in other words you're a hobbit in the summers :3:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's snowing here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Donkay NOoo posted:

in other words you're a hobbit in the summers :3:

Gross for any gender

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

All the houses on my block are Victorian, it looks like a Christmas Wonderland outside :3:

If the snow keeps up I won't have to work tomorrow, which will give me a three day weekend. Which will put 2014 off to a very good start

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
It's raining here. I love the west coast and all, but more than any other weather (with the possible exception of a blizzard) rain just makes it so drat hard to leave the house and do anything.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Rain owns (on the west coast, anyway)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

100 degree heat with 90% humidity makes it really hard to leave the house

Like literally, my hair doesn't fit out the door

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

there hasn't been actual weather the entire time I've been on break (about three weeks), it's just been hazy and kind of chilly

although today it was so dry my hair made staticky sounds when I was brushing it this morning

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

It's snowing here.

Yep. Now my best friend is trapped here for a slumber party with brews booze and adventure time. gently caress yeah

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

what should my new av be, i need some ideas

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

turtle

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

good as it is, fella, good as it is

Shiftless Red
Mar 2, 2009

with extra cheese posted:

Weird tip that totally works: always paint the nails on your dominant hand first. It sounds really weird, but it really does help.

Just tried this, and it's pretty loving amazing

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I get migraines from scents.

I actually do sometimes. I GET. MIGRAINES. FROM SCENTS.
No idea what ingredients cause it either, which sucks. Trying a new company's perfume/lotion/whatever holds extreme danger.

Zeth posted:

Hello lady thread. I just want to say that i am ultra jealous of all of you who can train yourselves to not suck at applying nail polish with your non-dominant hand because mine is all hosed up and I can't grip things quite right with it so my right hand always ends up looking like rear end.

-1 outside and I need to go grocery shopping once my paycheck clears. A friend once commented on "the general uninhabitability of the midwest" i think he is onto something there.

I suck at it with both hands, I shake from medication I take (and drugs I used to take). I just slap on the basecoat, polish(es), and topcoat, don't give a poo poo if it gets everywhere. I then either clean up the edges with a q-tip soaked in acetone polish remover, or just soak my hands in warm water for a few minutes after everything is good and dry. Fingers pruning up loosens the polish that's on skin instead of nail, and scrubbing at my fingertips with a washcloth for a minute dislodges all of the extra. Bam, perfect nails.

Scully lip-color hunting. Without fail, these look brighter in pictures and in the tube than they do on the lips. Don't be scared. See if their are any makeup counters anywhere nearby, for swatching.

So this one has a fair amount of coral/apricot in it, with some peach and pink. Explaining this in case you decided to go looking yourself.

Similar shades:
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick - Protest or Liar
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Annika or Grandma (mixed with the clear to make it sheer)
Illamasqua Lipstick - Brink
NARS lipstick - Barbarella (avoid NARS pencil products in general)
Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 (christ)- 13 Peach Passion seems like a very good match, if applied lightly.
Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense - 38 & 39
Too Faced La Creme - Juicy Melons
Sephora Collection Rouge Shine Lipstick - No. 28 Just Married
Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick - Coral Blossom
Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick - Coral Castle
Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Colour - Peche
Lancome Rouge in Love Lipcolor - 322M Corail in Love
Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint - Tangelo

This one is actually a berry pink-nude, just a muted one.

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick - Naked
Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 (christ)- 09 Caress Pink - again, a very close match, if not laid on thick.
Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense - 6 & 34
Too Faced La Creme - I Want Candy
Sephora Collection Rouge Shine Lipstick - No. 30 Secret Affair
Amazonian Butter Lipstick - Watermelon
Bite Beauty Luminous Crème Lipstick - Zin
Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick - Graceful
Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint - Juice

Sort of a mixture between the two.
Urban Decay Rush
NARS Dolce Vita

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

your current one is pretty good tbh, I feel like it captures your idgaf attitude

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Fabulist posted:

No idea what ingredients cause it either, which sucks. Trying a new company's perfume/lotion/whatever holds extreme danger.

Yeah sometimes really strong scents will set me off too. I used to live with someone who insisted on putting really strong potpourri and air fresheners everywhere, then when I complained she was like "Wellll maybe you're getting migraines from those fluorescent lights at your job. :clint: " Like it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the loving CLOUD of perfume in the whole house (different for every room, so it all mixed together).

Re: Weather chat - It's snowy here, with a nice strong wind to blow it all around. But I'm a weirdo who loves snow/cold weather so I don't mind it at all. Heat and humidity kill me and my barely under control hair.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Fabulist posted:

I suck at it with both hands, I shake from medication I take (and drugs I used to take). I just slap on the basecoat, polish(es), and topcoat, don't give a poo poo if it gets everywhere. I then either clean up the edges with a q-tip soaked in acetone polish remover, or just soak my hands in warm water for a few minutes after everything is good and dry. Fingers pruning up loosens the polish that's on skin instead of nail, and scrubbing at my fingertips with a washcloth for a minute dislodges all of the extra. Bam, perfect nails.

Scully lip-color hunting. Without fail, these look brighter in pictures and in the tube than they do on the lips. Don't be scared. See if their are any makeup counters anywhere nearby, for swatching.

So this one has a fair amount of coral/apricot in it, with some peach and pink. Explaining this in case you decided to go looking yourself.

Similar shades:
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick - Protest or Liar
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Annika or Grandma (mixed with the clear to make it sheer)
Illamasqua Lipstick - Brink
NARS lipstick - Barbarella (avoid NARS pencil products in general)
Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 (christ)- 13 Peach Passion seems like a very good match, if applied lightly.
Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense - 38 & 39
Too Faced La Creme - Juicy Melons
Sephora Collection Rouge Shine Lipstick - No. 28 Just Married
Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick - Coral Blossom
Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick - Coral Castle
Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Colour - Peche
Lancome Rouge in Love Lipcolor - 322M Corail in Love
Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint - Tangelo

This one is actually a berry pink-nude, just a muted one.

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick - Naked
Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick SPF 15 (christ)- 09 Caress Pink - again, a very close match, if not laid on thick.
Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense - 6 & 34
Too Faced La Creme - I Want Candy
Sephora Collection Rouge Shine Lipstick - No. 30 Secret Affair
Amazonian Butter Lipstick - Watermelon
Bite Beauty Luminous Crème Lipstick - Zin
Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick - Graceful
Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint - Juice

Sort of a mixture between the two.
Urban Decay Rush
NARS Dolce Vita

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Portals posted:

your current one is pretty good tbh, I feel like it captures your idgaf attitude

if it aint broke dont fix it

• Locked thread