Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

That is some Stephen King level poo poo right there. Creepy and hilarious.

I got a lot of migraines when I was going through puberty that were triggered by stress, certain foods and (weird) pool chemicals. When I got over the peak awkward stage they just stopped on their own. It was pretty gross, because unlike most people who just get nauseous I actually threw up. So if I didn't take a pill at the onset of the auras (mine looked like technicolor ticker tape) there was no help, they would just come back up before they could work. I wish migraines were made up, people shouldn't have to put up with that.

I forgot about book chat: The Masters of Rome series really is good. It sticks pretty closely to actual historical events so you can convince yourself it's educational as you read through the sexual conquests of GJC. On the other hand, it encouraged me to read his actual writings on his campaign in Gaul against the tribal leader Vercingetorix. Pretty fascinating stuff and I don't know if it was just a good translator but his writing style is very crisp and modern for someone who lived 2000 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

I'd have it so that it occasionally plays the 'chase' sound from amnesia for a brief second if nobody is in the room with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxW9dVm6ZjM

This but combined with more regular plays of stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B92dzyyFW3U

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

This is going on in my living room right now. It's pretty unnerving.

That is disturbing, but you can trim those guitar string ends with a wire cutter and it'll be all right.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

:swoon: I love him :swoon:

It is pretty poo poo on the west coast today. It kept stopping raining while was inside and could see out windows, but it pissed down while trying to wrangle cardboard boxes at the bottle depot and also while carrying food and prescriptions in paper bags. gently caress you rain. I still won though cause I had a sauna with two of my favourite ladies.
I've been lucky with the migraines, I've had two ever. My sister used to get them all the time as a kid and she would be incapable of any thing except whimpering and puking. I do not envy that. However, I've made it a point to have falsified ones about every six months throughout my career because they make great occasional sick day excuses.

Nice makeup and hair, teh winnar! Happy burpday tkh! Hello errbody else!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My mud mask makes me look like Jim Carrey in The Mask :(

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
you must have some strong cheekbones

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZQ_xQEHGY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what the gently caress was the plot of that movie?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Loki's (not Tom Hiddleston) Mask empowers a guy to become a living Tex Avery cartoon. Mob boss takes notice and tries to steal it. Doesn't succeed. Guy gives up mask and gets the girl.

Also Cameron Diaz has never looked finer than she did in that movie. She was when I first noticed cleavage as a lad.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

what the gently caress was the plot of that movie?

jim carrey being wacky, a major departure from the rest of his catalogue

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there's the one where he's blowing ewan mcgregor

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the grinch aged horribly

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Eventually we will all show the passing of time upon our faces. We all end up with roughly the expressions we wear the most. I think the moral of the story is to laugh at everything.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

All Of The Dicks posted:

I am looking for some perfume that smells like something a 17 year old Brazilian hooker would wear. Sexy, sweet and utterly without taste or subtlety. Anything you can rec at ULTA?
The 100% correct answer is Pink Sugar. It smells really good to me (although obv not subtle), but I can't wear it because that's what it is.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

teh winnar! posted:

I'll probably regret posting this later, but I went ahead and got the whole makeup thing done. As I said earlier, it's been years since the last time I updated my colour palette, but a quick trip to the MAC counter was just what I needed to feel better now that I'm over the nasty cold that had me down for the past two weeks.

Try not to mind the fact that my bra strap is showing. Despite that, and I don't care if this sounds horribly stereotype but... ... I feel pretty.

i like it :3: i think your lips are a bit too pink and sparkly for my taste and i would actually go for a peachier gloss, but your eyes and skin look lovely. also maybe get a bit of powder for your decolletage just to even stuff out. my cousin gave me some thin lizzy and i use it to blend from my neck down to my chest when i can be bovvered because i have a v-neck tanline which is annoying

having said that i wear really dark burgundy lipstick and bright silver sparkly eyeliner so we may have differing tastes

ladythread i really want to get rid of this lovely avatar but people in auspol change my avs all the time. i actually chose one a week ago and within hours some tory dipshit replaced it with this. i want to either go back to aunt ida

or mame

but if it just gets changed back again there's really no point in wasting my money :sigh:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Pick posted:

when i was little i used to be petrified of my mum whenever she used a mud mask. i called it 'monster face' and hid

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fruity Gordo posted:

when i was little i used to be petrified of my mum whenever she used a mud mask. i called it 'monster face' and hid

GANGEE

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
zevram you should be locked up you creepy elf fucker

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Fruity Gordo posted:

i like it :3: i think your lips are a bit too pink and sparkly for my taste and i would actually go for a peachier gloss, but your eyes and skin look lovely. also maybe get a bit of powder for your decolletage just to even stuff out. my cousin gave me some thin lizzy and i use it to blend from my neck down to my chest when i can be bovvered because i have a v-neck tanline which is annoying

having said that i wear really dark burgundy lipstick and bright silver sparkly eyeliner so we may have differing tastes

I loved having burgundy lips when my hair was human-red, but once I dyed it firetruck red, it stopped looking good on me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a really hard time defining my lips at the corners. They don't seem to end as "neatly" as I like.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Bought a fluffy new sweater today. Shopping in Japan at New Year is a sport. I don't think I know the rules yet.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
e: you found a straight outta compton sweater in Japan? Globalization is fuckin weird yo.

I know literally nothing about makeup. As in, I didn't own any until six months ago and it's all just sitting on a shelf because I don't know how to use it properly. I see the aisles in the store and it's just a maze of things I don't know what to do with. I'd really like to, because I have dark-rear end shadows under my eyes and a cleft chin I'd dearly like to de-emphasize, but where to start?

Fruity Gordo posted:

POST PICS if you can be bothered

i hope you can be bothered

I will tomorrow but I have to get some light in my room, which is a dank-rear end basement affair that I haven't been able to properly furnish yet.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I did! I almost bought the one that said LIVELY KITTEN but I'm hard, yo.

I know nothing about makeup either. I watch a lot of makeup videos on youtube and buy a lot of cheap makeup to experiment with and then when it's wrong for me I give it to my 7 year old who DOES makeup tutorials. (I share with family. She's hilarious.) I think I may be getting better, I'm up from wearing it twice a year to about once or twice a month. I want to be good at it, but that doesn't count for much.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I'm just wearing a bit of powder foundation most days because it helps cover the mustache shadow. I'll be getting laser soon though, on that note! :toot: I'd really like to figure out eyelinder and shadow and lipstick and the like. I basically don't have fingernails so that's right out, I just can't stop chewing the ends of my fingers off.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I wish the matrix were real so I could download the "How to Makeup" upgrade. Also, algebra, since I'll be taking that again this term.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

People in this thread should stop hogging all the snow.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
i never wore makeup until like a year ago, and here's the change in thought process that helped me: you don't HAVE to wear all the makeup. before i always thought that if you were gonna wear makeup then you had to go the whole shebang - eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blush, bronzer, lipstick, foundation, powder, holy poo poo who has time for all of that gently caress it not gonna happen. i focus on making my skin look pretty all by itself, and then the makeup is just for fun. normally it's bb cream, powder to set, mascara, lipstick, and i'm out the door. sometimes eyeshadow, sometimes not. whatever! It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get ready in the morning so it's not a huge hassle.

ladies, i'm getting a haircut tomorrow, and i'm going shorter (like chin lenght) with bangs. god help me i haven't had bangs in a million years, but lately i've been self conscious about thinking i have a fivehead going, so bangin it up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fruity Gordo posted:

ladythread i really want to get rid of this lovely avatar but people in auspol change my avs all the time.

there is an easy way to make it so this stops happening

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Zeth posted:

A friend once commented on "the general uninhabitability of the midwest" i think he is onto something there.

It is -15 (F). What have I done to deserve this. gently caress this gay frozen earth.

I lived in Las Vegas for 5 wonderful years, I think it's time to move back soon. Nothing here in the midwest except snow, humid summers, and high unemployment. And family, which is why I came back and have stayed for the last 15 years.

Also any suggestions for vacations in February and April? I have 10 days off both times, I'm looking for something beach with an awesome selection of seashells and beach glass to be found. I hit Sanibel Island last April. Going back is a possibility. What say ye, ladythread? PS Las Vegas is also possible, as a recon/pleasure trip.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Women's Rights? posted:

i never wore makeup until like a year ago, and here's the change in thought process that helped me: you don't HAVE to wear all the makeup. before i always thought that if you were gonna wear makeup then you had to go the whole shebang - eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blush, bronzer, lipstick, foundation, powder, holy poo poo who has time for all of that gently caress it not gonna happen. i focus on making my skin look pretty all by itself, and then the makeup is just for fun. normally it's bb cream, powder to set, mascara, lipstick, and i'm out the door. sometimes eyeshadow, sometimes not. whatever! It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get ready in the morning so it's not a huge hassle.

ladies, i'm getting a haircut tomorrow, and i'm going shorter (like chin lenght) with bangs. god help me i haven't had bangs in a million years, but lately i've been self conscious about thinking i have a fivehead going, so bangin it up.

I definitely get that bit, easily. It's just that each of those individual components is it's own small mystery and I'm very self-conscious about wearing it. But I know it will be fun if I can just get past that anxiety and inexperience.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Thora posted:

Also any suggestions for vacations in February and April? I have 10 days off both times, I'm looking for something beach with an awesome selection of seashells and beach glass to be found. I hit Sanibel Island last April. Going back is a possibility. What say ye, ladythread? PS Las Vegas is also possible, as a recon/pleasure trip.

As in all things, west coast best coast. I recommend Santa Cruz, in the summer it's crowded with tourists but in the other seasons it's just super relaxing and low-key, plus it's just over the hills from San Jose and the rest of the bay area if you want to bum around and be a tourist. I strongly recommend visiting the Sutra Baths ruins if you do go into the city. Bring a camera.

e: probably biased by my titanic queerness. all roads lead to san francisco.

Dice Dingus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 3, 2014

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

poopkitty posted:

I did! I almost bought the one that said LIVELY KITTEN but I'm hard, yo.

I know nothing about makeup either. I watch a lot of makeup videos on youtube and buy a lot of cheap makeup to experiment with and then when it's wrong for me I give it to my 7 year old who DOES makeup tutorials. (I share with family. She's hilarious.) I think I may be getting better, I'm up from wearing it twice a year to about once or twice a month. I want to be good at it, but that doesn't count for much.

Dice Dingus posted:

I'm just wearing a bit of powder foundation most days because it helps cover the mustache shadow. I'll be getting laser soon though, on that note! :toot: I'd really like to figure out eyelinder and shadow and lipstick and the like. I basically don't have fingernails so that's right out, I just can't stop chewing the ends of my fingers off.

I used to be really lost at make-up but was always fascinated by the process. One day, I decided dammit, people who are way less smart than me know how to good make-up, I'm going to learn. So I started watching youtube videos, reading blogs, and just practicing. Every day. It took time and investment but doesn't every skill?

On big thing is to have good make-up brushes, you pretty much can't get a good application with just the applicators that come with the package or your fingers. I invested in MAC which are still going strong eight years later but I hear good things about less expensive brushes like ELF.

Read the reviews (makeup alley, temptalia) and get decent quality make-up; cheap stuff generally is chalky, generally unpigmented, and doesn't apply well. The difference between quality eye shadow and bad drug store stuff is amazing. And it doesn't have to be really expensive, nowdays there are lots of less expensive but good indie brands. Also, finding out about types of make-up you might not have known about. Like gel eyeliner you put on with a slanted brush looks a lot like liquid eye liner but is way easier to apply.

And while you don't have to wear all the make-up, there are definitely products you need for a good application. Make-up artists don't just put eye shadow on directly; first they put on primer and maybe a cream shadow base. That's how you get a make-up application that looks polished and lasts and that was a huge revelation to me when I started figuring this stuff out. (I used to do things like buy a single eyeshadow trio from L'Oreal and wonder why it looked to bad; now I know it was bad tools, bad quality make-up, and bad preparation.) I have super heavy hooded eyelids but when I use primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion), followed by a MAC Paint Pot under my powder eyeshadow, my eye make-up lasts all day with fading or creasing.

Pick posted:

I have a really hard time defining my lips at the corners. They don't seem to end as "neatly" as I like.

My secret for a good lipstick application is to get a clear lip liner and outline [ii]outside[/i] the lip line before applying lipstick. The clear lip liner stops the lip stick from migrating and gooping up the corners or moving into lip lines. Plus don't really put any lipstick in the corners, it should taper down to a point right at the corner.

(that's a lot of words on make-up, I'm staying home sick again today and I'm so bored)

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I have a friend for Leopold. Hopefully he can see past the fact that she is 1/4 his size.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Creepy inanimate household statuary is essential. My roommate at my last place brought home three lifesized all-black manequinns and would put them right inside people's bedrooms in the dark when they were gone for a while, in the shower, sometimes in the back yard facing the neighbors windows in the middle of the night. Later they dolled them up with dayglow paint and glitter. ;-*

The arms are busted off some of them now from all the times people have walked into them around blind corners and reflex shoved them.

Dice Dingus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 3, 2014

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

I mainly just do a bit of eyeliner, mascara and lippy make up wise. If I wear foundation then I end up taking hours trying to make it not look poo poo. I was so happy when I discovered primer, makes putting foundation on so much easier.

I have the natural really dark hair and pale skin combo. Foundation always look orange no matter what and you can see my veins through it unless I basically wear a mask :( I think I need to find make up designed specifically for ghosts.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I've started wearing makeup a little more recently, just for the hell of it, and it's honestly pretty easy if you let it be. If you're intimidated, you can always start with one random thing and say gently caress the rest. v :) v Some days I'll just toss on some lipstick or lipgloss, or only bother with mascara.

If I do feel like wearing makeup, it's usually foundation, some eyeshadow (either goin hogwild or keeping it natural and simple, whatever) and mascara. Maybe a lip if I'm feeling it but I drink enough water through the day and hate reapplying enough that sometimes I skip that bit.

ducking into this thread was such a terrible choice, i feel compelled to hit up macy's and sephora this weekend now, uuuuuuugh

i don't even think i need anything

also my advice if you are scared of makeup is to let yourself fall down a pit of youtube videos and emerge hours later dazed and unsure how so much time has passed but unriched with eldritch knowledge of the arcane face painting arts

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
beans, you need some lipstick that'll last. get the wet'n'wild megalast liquid lipsticks, but get a color you like because it's never coming off. I'm also in love with the new revlon matte lip crayons, get those, they have a light peppermint smell and they last a long time.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Women's Rights? posted:

beans, you need some lipstick that'll last. get the wet'n'wild megalast liquid lipsticks, but get a color you like because it's never coming off. I'm also in love with the new revlon matte lip crayons, get those, they have a light peppermint smell and they last a long time.

Noice, thanks for the recs.

I haven't put a ton of thought or effort into it. Like I've legitimately been too lazy/nervy to shop around after a few mediocre experiences in terms of staying power because I didn't feel like wasting money if the packaging was just gonna lie to me again, and somehow it spiralled into just rarely wearing anything on my mouthparts at all out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I too have dark circles underneath my eyes and I find that moisturizer, primer, concealer then powder foundation seems to take care of the problem for the day. Keep in mind that this is a maybe twice a year ritual for me, so I'm far from an expert.

I'm kicking myself for not buying S. before Christmas when it was $25. Now private sellers are offering $70. Ugh.

• Locked thread