Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I have a sad idiot story, kind of.

There was a GM2 in my security department. Totally weird dude, mid 30's, kinda nice, but could fly into these little retard rages over small things, so after a while he wasn't even trusted for gate guard duty. So he got "the VSS room" which was Video Surveillance of the flight line. He did it pretty well, and was one of the few people who didn't bring a book, or newspaper(this was 2004-ish), or just fall asleep in the dark little room. To our detriment though he would rat out the flight line mobile unit or the flight line sentries if he saw 'em sleeping or slacking.

Anyhow, it came to our attention once that he hadn't left a five-mile radius of the base in over a year. He had no girlfriend, no dog, and actually seemed pretty lonely most of the time. We gave him some grief(nicely) and told him to get off the island for a bit.

A off-duty weekend goes by...

Monday rolls around. And I'm listening to our Road Sup query the man-child.

MA1 Brock-landers- Yo, GM2, you go out this weekend?

GM2 DumDum- Yeah, I met this girl and she really seems into me. I'm gonna see her again this Thursday.

MA1- (Surprised) No poo poo, where'd you meet her?

GM2- I was out to get something to eat in Lynnwood and I met her there.

MA1- (Suspicious) Really, was she there with friends? How'd you meet her?...

Turns out GM2 was at Hooters, and the waitress was nice to him. AND she wrote "Really great meeting you, <3 Brittney" on the check. He took that as interest and asked her out. But she was "Really busy", and a student, and "didn't have time to date right now" but encouraged him to come back Thursday night on her next shift.

I asked him what he dropped for a tip. I think it was ballpark about $50 on a plate of hot wings, and a Dr. Pepper, "with re-fills". He went back religiously for months. It was like an hour and a half away driving. He probably ended up making her car payments with what he was tipping her.

Last I heard of him he was a GM1 and in Guam a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
holy poo poo it's butters

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

well at least he got off base :unsmith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
prolly found a nice wife at one of the gentleman's clubs in guam too :unsmith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Probably spent less overall than a dependopotamus would have cost. :unsmith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I know at least a couple guys with what are probably mail order brides. One is your standard eastern european darling but the other is from China. She didn't speak English but her husband would always reply in English a la Ocean's 11. Didn't even know he was married but found all this out after bumming a ride from the guy. That trip to the liquor store ended up in an awkward quest driving around town to get documentation so her parents could get visas which is a totally normal thing to do, right guys?

Somehow they maintain security clearances :psyduck:

E. Some dude at the same base also got caught in a sting trying to sell radar warning stuff to cops and made front page news the next day. Officers.txt

E2. Another dude there loaded up a bunch of computers into the bed of his pickup after hours and pawned them. Army strong :911:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 2, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

hosha posted:

I got attached to some arty unit which had only been to afgan. Since I had been there before I pulled scout (lead truck) in a set (cep?) team. Was mostly fun until aug 22 when a hole was ripped in my door by an EFP and took my leg with it. My LT at the time was a little bitch and screamed. I was directing traffic and poo poo until they pulled me out because I thought I couldn't move my legs because they were broke...um no not really. Rather a hole was torn out of my rear end and my hip and had paralyzed me so I didn't feel poo poo. I remember them saying where the gently caress is it gonna land as the medevac bird blades beat in the wind and I was carried over what I thought was most of Iraq and finally placed on the bird. I passed out shortly after landing a woke up in walter reed several months later to find my left leg gone, a feeding tube in my belly and three or four tubes tubes into my kidneys to keep them from shutting down. One year and a half later the docs having done a bang up job I was issued a wheelchair and sent to the WTB. Which is where I met the worst of the worst of the US militaries NCO corp's.

This story (and injury) are remarkably similar to Marine Infantry O. acquaintance of mine . It was when the Marines were cleaning out Fallujah. He was running across a street and a bullet him him in the side and came out near his hip. He remembered feeling the hit, falling, and then he woke up in Bethesda like a month later. He was a little luckier than you though as he still has both legs but is missing a significant portion of his intestines. Glad you were able to make the best of it though.

Dingleberry posted:

I have a sad idiot story, kind of.

There was a GM2 in my security department. Totally weird dude, mid 30's, kinda nice, but could fly into these little retard rages over small things, so after a while he wasn't even trusted for gate guard duty. So he got "the VSS room" which was Video Surveillance of the flight line. He did it pretty well, and was one of the few people who didn't bring a book, or newspaper(this was 2004-ish), or just fall asleep in the dark little room. To our detriment though he would rat out the flight line mobile unit or the flight line sentries if he saw 'em sleeping or slacking.

Anyhow, it came to our attention once that he hadn't left a five-mile radius of the base in over a year. He had no girlfriend, no dog, and actually seemed pretty lonely most of the time. We gave him some grief(nicely) and told him to get off the island for a bit.

A off-duty weekend goes by...

Monday rolls around. And I'm listening to our Road Sup query the man-child.

MA1 Brock-landers- Yo, GM2, you go out this weekend?

GM2 DumDum- Yeah, I met this girl and she really seems into me. I'm gonna see her again this Thursday.

MA1- (Surprised) No poo poo, where'd you meet her?

GM2- I was out to get something to eat in Lynnwood and I met her there.

MA1- (Suspicious) Really, was she there with friends? How'd you meet her?...

Turns out GM2 was at Hooters, and the waitress was nice to him. AND she wrote "Really great meeting you, <3 Brittney" on the check. He took that as interest and asked her out. But she was "Really busy", and a student, and "didn't have time to date right now" but encouraged him to come back Thursday night on her next shift.

I asked him what he dropped for a tip. I think it was ballpark about $50 on a plate of hot wings, and a Dr. Pepper, "with re-fills". He went back religiously for months. It was like an hour and a half away driving. He probably ended up making her car payments with what he was tipping her.

Last I heard of him he was a GM1 and in Guam a few years back.

Whidbey Island.txt

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Guest2553 posted:

Somehow they maintain security clearances :psyduck:

The people who have unrestricted access to all the buildings on my base are chinese cleaners that don't speak a word of swedish and are really bad at cleaning.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Affi posted:

The people who have unrestricted access to all the buildings on my base are chinese cleaners that don't speak a word of swedish and are really bad at cleaning.

There's bound to be huge numbers of tall, stuck-up blondes - fresh off of the factory floor - lounging around in Zhejiang soonish. Dudes will copy anything.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Koesj posted:

There's bound to be huge numbers of tall, stuck-up blondes - fresh off of the factory floor - lounging around in Zhejiang soonish. Dudes will copy anything.

But our secret missile bas.. oh yeah right we have nothing else worth spying on :smith:

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Affi posted:

But our secret missile bas.. oh yeah right we have nothing else worth spying on :smith:

Oh hey a Swede. Are your guys artillery still broken or decommissioned or what? I was thinking of taking one of the three or so pieces we have left and driving over the bridge and like taking Skåne back. Probably bring one of our 45 Tanks too. :denmark:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Is the Dano-Canadian War over Hans Island still a thing? :allears:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

-Anders posted:

Oh hey a Swede. Are your guys artillery still broken or decommissioned or what? I was thinking of taking one of the three or so pieces we have left and driving over the bridge and like taking Skåne back. Probably bring one of our 45 Tanks too. :denmark:

I'll have you know that our artillery regiment in Boden actually got some artillery not long ago! They have 4 pieces of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Artillery_System

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 4, 2014

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

-Anders posted:

Nah, we just don't have any artillery until the Archer systems are delivered which maybe will happen in the next ten years, there were also some complaints a while ago that we only had a battalion of part time militia without any heavy weapons whatsoever on Gotland which lies right here and from which you can lock down the Baltic from. However the Swedish military solved it by placing 14 tanks in a storage in the middle of the harbour area.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Syncopated posted:

I'll have you know that our artillery regiment in Boden actually got some artillery not long ago! They have 4 pieces of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Artillery_System.

Norway canceled the Archer buy, but we stil have 3 whole batteries of M-109s. :downs: :norway:

E: There's a dot in your link so it doesn't work.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Guest2553 posted:

Is the Dano-Canadian War over Hans Island still a thing? :allears:

Those Canadians can gently caress right off, Hans island is OUR useless little island. Ps our M109s are so broken that we had to go buy some Israeli heavy mortars so that we had something resembling artillery in Afghanistan. :v:

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

-Anders posted:

Oh hey a Swede. Are your guys artillery still broken or decommissioned or what?

I'm curious as well. I heard this fall that Sweden has zero operationally capable arty battalions left. The source was another reservist jackoff so I didn't put much weight on it.

E: Should refresh before posting.

brakeless fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 2, 2014

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

-Anders posted:

Those Canadians can gently caress right off, Hans island is OUR useless little island.

Just think of all the promotion potential if it turns into something big.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Lord Tywin posted:

Nah, we just don't have any artillery until the Archer systems are delivered which maybe will happen in the next ten years, there were also some complaints a while ago that we only had a battalion of part time militia without any heavy weapons whatsoever on Gotland which lies right here and from which you can lock down the Baltic from. However the Swedish military solved it by placing 14 tanks in a storage in the middle of the harbour area.

We can probably just wire that sucker and blow it up if we have to.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If it makes you feel any better, the Canadian Army has hardly any working artillery left, besides the M777.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Meanwhile, the Finnish Defense Force has the largest artillery branch in Europe but it's all obsolete towed crap that will end up killing something like half of all our artillerymen through counterbattery if it ever comes to war.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

besides the M777.

The m777 is fantastic though.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Best Friends posted:

The m777 is fantastic though.

Not if it's cold outside.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Not if it's cold outside.

When it comes to Petawawa or Shilo, it's always cold outside. I bet Americans are living the life down in Kentucky, Georgia and California.

I want the M109 back so badly, does that make me an idiot?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's wrong with the M777 in cold temperatures?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mortabis posted:

The problems usually start when someone double dares you to stick your tongue to it...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

If you remember your asvab score then you have the saddest life possible.

I remember because my recruiter hosed it up and made it a 70 instead of 88 like it was supposed to be. Which I didn't find out till I got out.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Affi posted:

We can probably just wire that sucker and blow it up if we have to.

Haha, no. Did you miss that Russian contractors built a harbor on Gotland when building their pipeline across the Baltic sea. They "forgot" to build in holes for explosives that exist in all strategic bridges and harbors...

Also, Russian contractors. Come on!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

zokie posted:

Russian contractors. Come on!

Oh, the stories I can tell in 35 years :allears:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

zokie posted:

Haha, no. Did you miss that Russian contractors built a harbor on Gotland when building their pipeline across the Baltic sea. They "forgot" to build in holes for explosives that exist in all strategic bridges and harbors...

Also, Russian contractors. Come on!

hahahaha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mortabis posted:

I don't know how much is OPSEC, but it's not a good time. Crewing any gun in an open field in the Canadian winter is a bad time. It's hard on the guns and obviously everybody stuck out there working on them.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mortabis posted:

Hydraulics in -40C temperatures don't really work too well.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Hydraulics in -40C temperatures don't really work too well.

How do the Russians make it work?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

How do the Russians make it work?
It involves vodka, hazing, and general disregard for human life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Alcohol-based fluids rather than petroleum-based.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

ded posted:

I remember because my recruiter hosed it up and made it a 70 instead of 88 like it was supposed to be. Which I didn't find out till I got out.
At least they tell you your score. In the CF all they said to me was "you did very well".

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

E.Nigma posted:

At least they tell you your score. In the CF all they said to me was "you did very well".

I got to see mine during an interview with a BPSO to swap trades so if you really wanted to find out you probably could. I don't remember what mine were though :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ded posted:

91 and a 127 GT :saddowns:

It's not that spergy unless you're remembering all of your line scores.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

DoktorLoken posted:

91 and a 127 GT :saddowns:

It's not that spergy unless you're remembering all of your line scores.

no its spergy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
My food score was high as gently caress, like 140 or something, probably because I answered 'do you wash your hands after you finger your butthole' as 'true'.