Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I build everything from basic forced induction shortblocks ($2600) to tricked out n/a race longblocks with fully ported heads ($7k++), and I ship them all over the country. I'm not a hobbyist doing it on the side (anymore) - building race motors and race parts for Miatas is my day job. Shoot me an email if you want some more info: info at Trackspeed Engineering dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Phone posted:

What are you trying to do?

Boost on a budget on a 16 year old daily driver.

Savington, thats a tempting offer and a good price, but i imagine the shipping costs from california to south florida would be catastrophically expensive.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 27, 2013

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Trackspeed is great, bought a few bits off of them and shipping was quick and easy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He quoted me like $200 for freight.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah shipping a motor is not that much, especially if you can pick it up at a ltl terminal. Delivery to home adds like $75 bucks.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Shipping, compared to UPS, is fairly cheap once you strap something to a pallet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Boost on a budget on a 16 year old daily driver.

Savington, thats a tempting offer and a good price, but i imagine the shipping costs from california to south florida would be catastrophically expensive.

Where in FL do you live?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hollywood, Near Ft.Lauderdale. I actually know the guys at Treasure coast miata, they might be an option.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my crappy all seasons have are finally getting scary to drive in the rain. Im probably going to pick up some Sport Comp 2s to replace them for a daily tire. Any good reason not to get them?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, buy Rivals instead.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I already have a second set of wheels with RS-3s on them. When those RS-3s get too bad, Ill probably go to Rivals. Right now though, I still do pretty well locally on my 1.5 season old RS-3s.
And the sport comps are $40 a tire cheaper and in stock at tire rack.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Has anyone experienced this kind of idling issue? My miata is a 95.

When I start the car, the rpms fluctuate up and down between 200 and 800. It shakes and almost stalls when it dips down to 200. Once I actually get the car in gear and moving, everything is normal. This usually only happens after I've driven the car for a while and the engine is already warm when I start it.

Any ideas?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the battery died on my newly purchased '06 NC. I charged it, put it back in and now the DSC warning is on. You know, the little icon of the car swerving. Is something borked?

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So the battery died on my newly purchased '06 NC. I charged it, put it back in and now the DSC warning is on. You know, the little icon of the car swerving. Is something borked?

Hmm, back in the day you could unhook the positive terminal and hold down the brake for a minute to reset most cars ECUs. I'm not sure if this still works, but there should be an equally easy to reset it to see if its an actual problem.

12345random fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 30, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh rly posted:

When I start the car, the rpms fluctuate up and down between 200 and 800. It shakes and almost stalls when it dips down to 200. Once I actually get the car in gear and moving, everything is normal. This usually only happens after I've driven the car for a while and the engine is already warm when I start it.

Any ideas?

Having owned a lot of old cars this is pretty common if it's happening how I think it is. The engine temperature is getting read as fully warmed up when you first start it up, but all of the coolant in the radiator has already become ambient and it rapidly cools down the engine when the water pump starts moving again. The computer is still trying to give it a low fuel idle for a fully warmed up engine, but the water is cooling the cylinders down too quickly for it to idle smoothly. After a little while the temperature equalizes and the computer can get a normal idle going again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

oh rly posted:

Any ideas?

This happened to me and it turned out to be a super dirty air filter. Seems way too obvious, but worth a check.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Mine used to do exactly that.

It happened less after cleaning the crap out of the intake.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Went out for a nice drive in the snow yesterday. With winter tires and a hard top my NA drove fine, but things got messy on the way home. When it's cold out the wipers are super slow and the windshield washers are weak. It seems like they aren't getting enough power. It would get dangerous in some serious slop if the windshield gets too dirty. Has anyone else run into this problem?

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
I live in MN, we've had a cold streak of many sub zero days.

On some of these days the inside of my NCs windshield had frozen over. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

A thick cost of rain x?

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

1791apparel posted:

On some of these days the inside of my NCs windshield had frozen over. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

A thick cost of rain x?

Maybe leave a big bag of desiccant on the dash? I dunno if that works in extreme cold though

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The inside of my windows all froze over the other day on my NA, and my wipers were super slow but I was OK - snow tires made driving pretty fun. Just warm the car up for ~15 minutes with the heat on full blast and there won't be any problems.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1791apparel posted:

A thick cost of rain x?

Just run the windshield defroster before you go anywhere (I usually put the heat one pip from full blast so the engine can heat up a little quicker). Don't put the car on recirc, but outside air.

This happens on my cars a lot, unfortunately. A friend of mine used to use a little dish of baking soda but that led to an uncomfortable cop conversation when getting a speeding ticket.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Moisture inside the car will do it as well, snow on floormats, etc.

:siren:AFTERMARKET SEAT QUESTION:siren:

Which one would AI go with in an NA?
-2 Sparco Speed 2s for $400
Or
-1 Recaro Profi SPG for $700

Stock seats, no harnesses or rollbar yet. Both are used and in good condition, pretty sure the Recaro is real.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2x Momo Start/Sparco Sprint for $700.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just run the windshield defroster before you go anywhere (I usually put the heat one pip from full blast so the engine can heat up a little quicker). Don't put the car on recirc, but outside air.

This happens on my cars a lot, unfortunately. A friend of mine used to use a little dish of baking soda but that led to an uncomfortable cop conversation when getting a speeding ticket.

I need to place more emphasis on FROZEN. After 20 minutes on defrost yesterday I used my scraper for parts.

I don't have any leaks in the roof or seals either. Moisture during the summer has never gotten into the car.

Any other suggestions? I park outside during the day, so it's a frustrating way to end the work day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

Sparco sprints are miserable, don't do that.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Sparco sprints are miserable, don't do that.

Sit in seats yourself, I have a sprint seat in mine that I daily drive and find it quite comfortable. It's better on long trips than the stock seats, at least for me.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

1791apparel posted:

A thick cost of rain x?
When you get out of the car, leave the doors open for a bit to let your moisture out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TrueChaos posted:

Sit in seats yourself, I have a sprint seat in mine that I daily drive and find it quite comfortable. It's better on long trips than the stock seats, at least for me.

Yep. I had them in my miata basically because they are cheap and they fit (hard to find combo). It's all in how they're mounted and the angle of them as well since they're fixed buckets. They have very little padding (Light weight!) and the shoulder area is pretty narrow.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

destructo posted:

When you get out of the car, leave the doors open for a bit to let your moisture out.

Hmm, seems simple. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So my 95 NA's heater just quit about two weeks ago mid-drive. Went from cooking me to freezing me in less than a minute. I went all over the bay looking for leaks or anything of the sort, and there is no leakage into the cabin. I have not lost a drop of coolant. The flaps on the airbox are functioning just as they were as well. I flushed the entire cooling system and refilled with 30/70 and I've got a smidgeon of heat back, but nothing like the rolling oven that let me ride top-down in freezing weather. I studied the flow rate by pulling off the heater input hose while running the car, and it seemed weak as hell, which is odd because when flushing the cooling system with the hose, everything seemed to flow juuust fine. What would you guys suggest checking?

My first act is probably going to be the thermostat unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure how I feel about this post, but I'm kind of annoyed because its saying nothing.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?p=6712649#post6712649 posted:

Okay. I can't say much and what I will say is veiled. Please don't be offended. I have to be careful with the little info that is fed my way. I am not told to tell others so I always wait until I judge it is okay and weigh the value of the information and it's level of confidentiality.

Months ago I hinted that it was far along. I can now say that, for all intents and purposes, it is done; the ND that is. It won't be long before Mazda shows their hand. I was told by one insider that it's a 'looker'. He said something else similar but I don't even want to quote with exact words.

Another insider has indicated that we will get the engine that I have been saying all along. Don't expect gobs of power but do expect a great engine and a lighter chassis. Other markets may still get a 'lesser' engine.

Expect this car to be released in the earlier areas of people's guessing .

Sorry for speaking in code but it's not too difficult to figure out EVERYTHING I just said.

Nothing totally new; just pleasant, confirming info. I hope you all are as excited as I am.

Paul.

What auto shows are coming up that are international?

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 4, 2014

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

craig588 posted:

Having owned a lot of old cars this is pretty common if it's happening how I think it is. The engine temperature is getting read as fully warmed up when you first start it up, but all of the coolant in the radiator has already become ambient and it rapidly cools down the engine when the water pump starts moving again. The computer is still trying to give it a low fuel idle for a fully warmed up engine, but the water is cooling the cylinders down too quickly for it to idle smoothly. After a little while the temperature equalizes and the computer can get a normal idle going again.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This happened to me and it turned out to be a super dirty air filter. Seems way too obvious, but worth a check.

Ziploc posted:

Mine used to do exactly that.

It happened less after cleaning the crap out of the intake.

Thanks to each of you.

Craig, that makes sense. It would occur after 15 minutes of cooling off.

Luckily, it is perfectly fine if I drive it several hours apart. I will dive deeper into it this weekend. Hopefully it is something easy.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Phone posted:

I guess it'd help if I could find regulations for hpde here, I haven't seen anything about mismatched seats. The Recaro will be way way more comfortable but I'd rather replace my busted suspension :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If the HPDE club is worth anything, they'll have stipulations about equivalent safety for driver and passenger because people get kind of uneasy when the driver has 6 points and the instructor has a stock seat and a 3 point belt.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, that's true. The club I run with will make exceptions if they know you though, see what they say. It's pretty funny when the one dude no one knows shows up driving like a dick and they refuse him based on the equal restraints rule, and yet there are... 3-4 new people running with unequal restraints. Though, everyone out without equal restraints had lots of AutoX & ice racing experience and wasn't a hot head.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Has anyone here done the MazdaTribute/FordEscape washer nozzle upgrade? As usual, M.net is useless. Some people say it's a direct swap, others say they shoot over the whole car and need a regulator to tame them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ziploc posted:

Has anyone here done the MazdaTribute/FordEscape washer nozzle upgrade? As usual, M.net is useless. Some people say it's a direct swap, others say they shoot over the whole car and need a regulator to tame them.

I'm interested in the outcome... The stock washers on both of my NBs would get me as wet as the windshield when the top or windows were down. My NAs and NC didn't have the head cleaning feature.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Stock NA/NB nozzles are adjustable. Stick a pin in each hole and you should be able to point them where you want them. If you don't like the streams, you can upgrade fluidic or 'fanning' nozzles from other Ford cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I just did the washer swap a couple weeks ago because the stock ones were hopelessly plugged and/or messed up. The new ones have a perfect fan pattern and hit about 2/3 the way up the windshield on my NB. Cost me $14.

edit: I forgot to mention, it took me 10 minutes to do with a pocket screwdriver to pop the little tabs loose. Be careful taking the hoses off.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 5, 2014