Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mq posted:

Oh dear. Bad philosophy or bad writing?
Very much both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Piers Anthony I swear to loving god.

Sorry all, I didn't know where else to post this so I'm just going to rant about it here because I've very rarely ever wanted to punch a 79 year-old man in the teeth and yet here we are! So, you know the Xanth books? Sure you do. And did you also know that the latest book in this series, Esrever Doom, features a protagonist who is a gay man in the "real world" but gets magically "reversed" so that he's attracted to women while he's in the magical land of Xanth and, in fact, ends up falling deeply in love with a woman while he's there?

:shepface:

No, I'm not kidding; I read through the book and this seriously happens. And if I had ten thousand years I still couldn't list all the reasons that this is crazy goddamn offensively terrible. Not that this series has needed any help to be offensively terrible lately, but holy drat, dude. Did I honestly used to enjoy these books?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrianWilly posted:

Piers Anthony ... I read through the book

Found your problem.

The problem is that Piers Anthony is a bad author, and no one should ever read his books.

Compared to some other things that he's written, what you've described sounds just peachy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh my god he's still writing books?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BrianWilly posted:

Piers Anthony I swear to loving god.

Sorry all, I didn't know where else to post this so I'm just going to rant about it here because I've very rarely ever wanted to punch a 79 year-old man in the teeth and yet here we are! So, you know the Xanth books? Sure you do. And did you also know that the latest book in this series, Esrever Doom, features a protagonist who is a gay man in the "real world" but gets magically "reversed" so that he's attracted to women while he's in the magical land of Xanth and, in fact, ends up falling deeply in love with a woman while he's there?

:shepface:

No, I'm not kidding; I read through the book and this seriously happens. And if I had ten thousand years I still couldn't list all the reasons that this is crazy goddamn offensively terrible. Not that this series has needed any help to be offensively terrible lately, but holy drat, dude. Did I honestly used to enjoy these books?

Piers Anthony literally wrote a story where a man had sex with a five year old girl and during the trial the jury said he wasn't morally guilty because she wanted it. Also he wrote this in the author's note

Piers Anthony posted:

It may be that the problem is not with what is deviant, but with our definitions. I suggest in the novel that little Nymph was abused not by the man with whom she had sex, but by members of her family who warped her taste, and by the society that preferred to condemn her lover rather than address the source of the problem in her family.

No one should ever read Piers Anthony.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Adult Conspiracy to Keep Interesting Things From Children is actually what he thinks because he's legit a pederast.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Not that this series has needed any help to be offensively terrible lately
Lately? He's always been offensively terrible. It's a bit sad that you think an adult man magically becoming heterosexual to have a relationship with an adult woman is more offensively terrible than his usual "little girls are just so darn sexy!".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
At least that's just run-of-the-mill sexual perversion. The other thing is actively insulting to real people that actually exist.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

At least that's just run-of-the-mill sexual perversion. The other thing is actively insulting to real people that actually exist.

What? No. Perving on children isn't run-of-the-mill and girls are real people, too. Piers Anthony has a fairly large fan-base and he writes books with the constant theme that young girls can't be raped because, really, they totally enjoy sex with adults.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:stare: Okay, obviously the point of my rant was not to play oppression Olympics between homosexuals and victims of child molestation. I know Anthony had that hella godawful sex monster pedophilia book, but at the very very least that sort of thing was confined to a sex monster pedophilia book and not a whimsical series about a magical land of puns. The Xanth series has a lot of terrible sexism and instances of child sexuality that becomes kinda creepy when we consider the source, but I don't recall it ever legitimately depicting pedophilia at face value. In any case, I just think there's something profoundly, tone-deafedly offensive about having the one and only gay character in your books become straight and gently caress women when he goes into your "idealistic" fantasy world, particularly because I've never heard of Anthony having that kind of bass-ackwards notions of homosexuality before.

tl;dr I expected him to be lovely about women and children. I didn't expect him to be lovely about this as well.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
My default expectation for SF/F writers is they are terrible about issues involving representations of anyone who isn't in the stereotypical demographic for SF/F (straight white men). It is so loving awesome when that isn't the case and I think things have been getting better, but the backlog does not lie and it does not forget.

And then you have cases like Dan Simmons where he writes an awesome POC character like Kassad in Hyperion and then goes loving crazy and becomes a huge awful racist :cry:

That's why I really like this thread; it helps me avoid awful bullshit because you all went and read it instead. You are all heroes in my heart.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 3, 2014

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrianWilly posted:

:stare: Okay, obviously the point of my rant was not to play oppression Olympics between homosexuals and victims of child molestation. I know Anthony had that hella godawful sex monster pedophilia book, but at the very very least that sort of thing was confined to a sex monster pedophilia book and not a whimsical series about a magical land of puns. The Xanth series has a lot of terrible sexism and instances of child sexuality that becomes kinda creepy when we consider the source, but I don't recall it ever legitimately depicting pedophilia at face value. In any case, I just think there's something profoundly, tone-deafedly offensive about having the one and only gay character in your books become straight and gently caress women when he goes into your "idealistic" fantasy world, particularly because I've never heard of Anthony having that kind of bass-ackwards notions of homosexuality before.

tl;dr I expected him to be lovely about women and children. I didn't expect him to be lovely about this as well.

Mmm, it's one thing for an author to present a sexual relationship between a grown man and a five year old girl as totally A-OK because the five year old girl totally wanted it and was thus able to provide her consent to the (apparently explicitly detailed) sexual acts in question, but when he magically changes a character's sexuality so they are attracted to (adult) women, that's when he's crossed the line.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the point here is that Piers Anthony is horrible in many ways. Some of those ways are atrocious and familiar, others are atrocious and new-to-you.

BrianWilly clearly is not defending Piers Anthony's horrific pedophile apologia, let's not suggest he is.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I think the point here is that Piers Anthony is horrible in many ways. Some of those ways are atrocious and familiar, others are atrocious and new-to-you.

BrianWilly clearly is not defending Piers Anthony's horrific pedophile apologia, let's not suggest he is.

But he does enjoy all those books with all the egregious sexism and sexualization of minors (which is only "kinda creepy" and only "when we consider the source"). Everything is all fine and great and worth spending money on when Piers Anthony is being lovely towards women and children but one incident of mild homophobia? THIS WILL NOT STAND

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

fookolt posted:

And then you have cases like Dan Simmons where he writes an awesome POC character like Kassad in Hyperion and then goes loving crazy and becomes a huge awful racist :cry:
I've never read any Dan Simmons; did he go off the rails during the SFWA debacle or was it prior?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

xcheopis posted:

But he does enjoy all those books with all the egregious sexism and sexualization of minors (which is only "kinda creepy" and only "when we consider the source"). Everything is all fine and great and worth spending money on when Piers Anthony is being lovely towards women and children but one incident of mild homophobia? THIS WILL NOT STAND

Yeah, ok, that is a little weird. Never enjoy Piers Anthony, never read Piers Anthony.

xcheopis posted:

I've never read any Dan Simmons; did he go off the rails during the SFWA debacle or was it prior?

9/11 broke his brain.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

9/11 broke his brain.

Well, crap. I'd heard good things about Hyperion and was thinking of reading it and now I'd just hate it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think you should give Hyperion a shot. It's mostly madness-free and it has some genuinely admirable Muslim characters, even if you can see the beginnings of Simmons' phobia in there.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

xcheopis posted:

Well, crap. I'd heard good things about Hyperion and was thinking of reading it and now I'd just hate it.
If you can get by the fact that the author became a terrible person and want to read it without paying the author, I'd honestly recommend picking it up at a second-hand bookstore or checking it out from your library. I read it a few years back and it is quite good, in particular I liked the framing device he used and it was written well before his present insanity began manifesting in his writing. That said, I'm told that as the series went on, he explained all of the cool mysteries presented in Hyperion, and that the explanations are profoundly unsatisfying, but I thought it worked perfectly fine as a standalone novel.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I think you should give Hyperion a shot. It's mostly madness-free and it has some genuinely admirable Muslim characters, even if you can see the beginnings of Simmons' phobia in there.

Azathoth posted:

If you can get by the fact that the author became a terrible person and want to read it without paying the author, I'd honestly recommend picking it up at a second-hand bookstore or checking it out from your library. I read it a few years back and it is quite good, in particular I liked the framing device he used and it was written well before his present insanity began manifesting in his writing. That said, I'm told that as the series went on, he explained all of the cool mysteries presented in Hyperion, and that the explanations are profoundly unsatisfying, but I thought it worked perfectly fine as a standalone novel.

OK, I'll keep on the list of books to get from the library but it's getting bumped way down. I'll be re-reading Clark Ashton Smith first.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Azathoth posted:

Pretty much. I would recommend reading Hyperion and then if you really, really, *really*, truly, desperately want more of the universe, read The Fall of Hyperion.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The warning signs were there even in Hyperion, in retrospect it's got a bad case of 'one of the good ones takes out the bad ones in a juvenile and gratuitous way'.

I thought Hyperion was a good book worth reading but felt no need at all to read more because I could feel the collapse looming just past where the book ended.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I attempted to read Nathan Lowell's The Quarter Share. Some guy's mom dies in a plane crash, he gets kicked out of the corp planet he's living on, and gets hired to an interstellar cargo ship.

I was hoping for an intriguing coming of age story with interesting dialogue, lots of drama and conflict. The book had none of that, the characters were the most unrealistic bland crap I've read in quite a while. No mechanical malfunctions, heightened tensions, space pirates or anything. Felt like YA The Care Bears in space, I gave up half way in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

xcheopis posted:

Buddy, when you're done putting words into my mouth could you also maybe stop jumping to conclusions and tripping over them? I said I used to enjoy these books, as in, "I have not finished one since 1999." I read through this new one while I was in Barnes & Noble because I was curious what the series was like now.

I also said that there is no actual pedophilia in the Xanth books. This is a goddamn statement of fact as far as I know, explaining the actual context of this situation instead of hysteric hyberbole. Anthony's themes of child sexuality is, yes, only "kinda creepy" if you don't know any further context from reading a different obscure book of his from a totally different genre. loving Madeleine L'Engle, Phillip Pullman, and George RR Martin also write themes of child sexuality.

And nice call defending his "mild homophobia," you offensive Xanth apologist. See? I can get worked up over nothing as well! :buddy:

Something made me really angry in a book and I came here to vent about it, clearly that was a mistake for some reason.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 4, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Piell posted:

No one should ever read Piers Anthony.

I read On a Pale Horse. That was enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Buddy, when you're done putting words into my mouth could you also maybe stop jumping to conclusions and tripping over them? I said I used to enjoy these books, as in, "I have not finished one since 1999." I read through this new one while I was in Barnes & Noble because I was curious what the series was like now.

I also said that there is no actual pedophilia in the Xanth books. This is a goddamn statement of fact as far as I know, explaining the actual context of this situation instead of hysteric hyberbole. Anthony's themes of child sexuality is, yes, only "kinda creepy" if you don't know any further context from reading a different obscure book of his from a totally different genre. loving Madeleine L'Engle, Phillip Pullman, and George RR Martin also write themes of child sexuality.

And nice call defending his "mild homophobia," you offensive Xanth apologist. See? I can get worked up over nothing as well! :buddy:

Something made me really angry in a book and I came here to vent about it, clearly that was a mistake for some reason.

Well, there's certainly some very questionable stuff about fourteen-year-olds in A Spell For Chameleon.

quote:

“It can all be yours,” she said. The alluring fourteen-year-old reappeared. “No other woman can make you this promise.”

Bink was suddenly, forcefully tempted. There were times when he wanted this, though he had never dared admit it openly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I just took your post to be "Wow, I already knew this guy sucked, but apparently he found a whole new way to suck!", if that helps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'll second this. Start with the Bolo collection by Keith Laumer. If you like where's he's going with that, go for the shared universe anthologies put out by Baen. Everything Bolo is on this page, http://www.baenebooks.com/s-70-keith-laumer.aspx

The Compleat Bolo is the collection you want to start with. There are two stories available as samples, both are excellent. Annoyingly, neither of them feature an AI Bolo. One of them is a Retief story, so you get two awesome series in one go.

Aha !

The Best of the Bolos collection has Combat Unit in it. That's Bolos in a nutshell right there.

quote:

I do not like it; it has the appearance of a trap, but the order has been given. I enter the room and the valve closes behind me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there a place where I can read in sperging detail kind of equipment a bolo has

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

muike posted:

Is there a place where I can read in sperging detail kind of equipment a bolo has

The wiki page is a good start, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank)#Bolo_offensive_systems

Follow that up with a visit to the Bolo wiki where you'll find some images too, http://bolo.wikia.com/wiki/Bolo_Mark_XXIV

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Why are we supposed to hate Dan Simmons so much anyway? I know he has some fairly lovely views on a couple of subjects and that he sometimes inserts them into his books but as far as I know he's not like Orson Scott Card who has lovely views and funds lovely organisations that are making the world a shittier place for people who don't share them.

Also, Orson Scott Card wrote a book where the protagonist (who in the afterword Card admits is just himself with a different name) discovers that a co-worker is a paedophile who has molested their bosses kid and wants to molest his daughter and doesn't report him to the police because he decides that apart from that he's not a bad person. Orson Scott Card is awful.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can dislike both for being huge bigots and writing stories based on their bigotry. It's not a competition.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

Why are we supposed to hate Dan Simmons so much anyway? I know he has some fairly lovely views on a couple of subjects and that he sometimes inserts them into his books but as far as I know he's not like Orson Scott Card who has lovely views and funds lovely organisations that are making the world a shittier place for people who don't share them.

Also, Orson Scott Card wrote a book where the protagonist (who in the afterword Card admits is just himself with a different name) discovers that a co-worker is a paedophile who has molested their bosses kid and wants to molest his daughter and doesn't report him to the police because he decides that apart from that he's not a bad person. Orson Scott Card is awful.

Dan Simmons posted:

It is circa 2032, or more precisely, the 23rd year of Jobless Recovery. The U.S. is tottering, weighing in at only 44 ½ states, its mass eaten away by Mexico, its interior rotted out by floods of immigrants, by loss of faith in a free-market economy, by national healthcare and a myriad of other entitlement programs, by the global-warming hoax and green-energy boondoggles, and by drugs, the most pervasive being “flashback,” which allows its users to visit their pasts in a dream state. It’s a bad, bad time, and its fatal origins lie, we are instructed, with the Obama presidency, its spendthrift domestic programs and pusillanimous foreign policy.

Highways are disintegrating, people live in former malls cut into cubicles, and, adding insult to injury, right-wing talk radio has been banned. Japanese overlords have set up “green zones” across the land and America’s once proud and powerful military is now hired out as mercenaries to fight for Japan and India. At the same time, a New Global Caliphate flourishes and Islam spreads. An immense and towering mosque sits at ground zero and annual celebrations commemorate the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In Los Angeles, where much of the story takes place, the bells of Christian churches add their peels to “the cries of the muezzin … to show their solidarity, understanding, and forgiveness.” The Caliphate has obliterated Israel with 11 exceedingly dirty nuclear bombs, killing 6 million Jews. The survivors of this “Second Holocaust” are now sequestered in a former Six Flags amusement park in Denver by a U.S. government “terrified of angering the Global Caliphate” that is waiting to exterminate them.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

If you want non-appalling fantasy by a decent person, I just finished
NK Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy. An interesting cosmology, protagonists and major characters of various genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, and some really crackerjack writing. I especially like how each book is framed as the protagonist telling a story to an audience.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

FewtureMD posted:

If you want non-appalling fantasy by a decent person, I just finished
NK Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy. An interesting cosmology, protagonists and major characters of various genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, and some really crackerjack writing. I especially like how each book is framed as the protagonist telling a story to an audience.

That looks really interesting; thanks!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What I got from this is that Dan Simmons doesn't know the difference between 'peel' and 'peal'.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
Does anyone have any recommendations for genre crossovers, e.g. heist books, spy books, private detective books and police procedurals in a sci-fi or fantasy setting?

I've already read Altered Carbon, the first Mistborn novel, Pratchett's Watch series and the first few books in Cook's Garrett P.I. series.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

sam16 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for genre crossovers, e.g. heist books, spy books, private detective books and police procedurals in a sci-fi or fantasy setting?

I've already read Altered Carbon, the first Mistborn novel, Pratchett's Watch series and the first few books in Cook's Garrett P.I. series.

The City and The City by China Mieville.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

sam16 posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora is a really popular fantasy heist book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dan Simmons posted:

It is circa 2032, or more precisely, the 23rd year of Jobless Recovery. The U.S. is tottering, weighing in at only 44 ½ states, its mass eaten away by Mexico, its interior rotted out by floods of immigrants, by loss of faith in a free-market economy, by national healthcare and a myriad of other entitlement programs, by the global-warming hoax and green-energy boondoggles, and by drugs, the most pervasive being “flashback,” which allows its users to visit their pasts in a dream state. It’s a bad, bad time, and its fatal origins lie, we are instructed, with the Obama presidency, its spendthrift domestic programs and pusillanimous foreign policy.

Highways are disintegrating, people live in former malls cut into cubicles, and, adding insult to injury, right-wing talk radio has been banned. Japanese overlords have set up “green zones” across the land and America’s once proud and powerful military is now hired out as mercenaries to fight for Japan and India. At the same time, a New Global Caliphate flourishes and Islam spreads. An immense and towering mosque sits at ground zero and annual celebrations commemorate the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In Los Angeles, where much of the story takes place, the bells of Christian churches add their peels to “the cries of the muezzin … to show their solidarity, understanding, and forgiveness.” The Caliphate has obliterated Israel with 11 exceedingly dirty nuclear bombs, killing 6 million Jews. The survivors of this “Second Holocaust” are now sequestered in a former Six Flags amusement park in Denver by a U.S. government “terrified of angering the Global Caliphate” that is waiting to exterminate them.

Man why do so many white dudes think the New Caliphate is a plausible thing?

I'm actually more confused about why the Ringo/Kratman MilSF yahoo set keeps dredging it up than I am about Simmons (who has clearly just gone of the deep end by this point), considering that those guys, unlike Simmons, have often lived and worked in the Middle East for periods of time, and should be aware that these disparate groups are never going to cooperate on that kind of hegemonic level again.

It's not even "they should know better" so much as "you'd think their disparaging of Muslims would go in a different direction"

What are some works that have had a better or more interesting take on a futuristic Middle East? Most everything I've ever read either ignores it (in much the same way that most SF ignores the current developing world) or does this same nonsense. Does Ian McDonald have something maybe?

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 5, 2014