Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Season 3 of Shameless felt uneven because they forgot the comedy part, it's just depressing, wrist cutting drama. Still in my top 3 favorite shows but drat S3 was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Watch Shameless because the other options suck.

Maybe not Masters of Sex, I haven't seen that.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Masters of Sex is worth watching, it struggles with a Mary Sue main character but it has some really interesting, well written side characters who make it more than worth it.

You'll know if you like the show after the first episode or two, it's not one of those shows where people say "oh give it three seasons before making up your mind!". You can't go wrong with watching an episode or two of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
MrA is right, Community is really good again. Like, season 1/2 good again. :neckbeard:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

MrA is right, Community is really good again. Like, season 1/2 good again. :neckbeard:

Give it more than two episodes before we start with the "as good as season 2" talk. I'm just happy it's trending in the right direction, and actually funny again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

Give it more than two episodes before we start with the "as good as season 2" talk. I'm just happy it's trending in the right direction, and actually funny again.

Fair enough. I'm just surprised because I'm one of those miserably cynical people who thought Dan Harmon had blown his wad and wouldn't deliver anything remarkable this year after the disaster that season 3 was.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I think Avatar has to be in the list of best sci fi movies

Not really, it's not even in the running for the Best James Cameron Sci-fi movie. I'd place it after Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, and put it neck and neck with The Abyss, although I would say that I prefer The Abyss over Avatar.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 3 of Community is still the best season, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Fair enough. I'm just surprised because I'm one of those miserably cynical people who thought Dan Harmon had blown his wad and wouldn't deliver anything remarkable this year after the disaster that season 3 was.

Harmon is just one of those people who needs someone to follow him around with a rolled up newspaper to smack him when he starts to do something terrible. In other words, an editor, like being fired from your own show. I'm not surprised that Community under him is good again* because the guy clearly has a ton of talent when he isn't so far up his own rear end he can see daylight.

* S4 was fine.

e:

thrakkorzog posted:

Not really, it's not even in the running for the Best James Cameron Sci-fi movie. I'd place it after Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, and put it neck and neck with The Abyss, although I would say that I prefer The Abyss over Avatar.

Avatar was great, and really being middling among James Cameron movies is nothing to be ashamed of.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 4, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 3 of Community is still the best season, though.

Why do you complain so much about slapfights and arguing RE: Community and then make posts like this out of nowhe-:psyduck:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I'm not touching the thread with a ten foot pole, could somebody summarize the Community bullshit? The only thing I think I know is Harmon got fired for being an rear end in a top hat to Chevy, show got cancelled, then Chevy got fired so they could bring back Harmon?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

Why do you complain so much about slapfights and arguing RE: Community and then make posts like this out of nowhe-:psyduck:

Some things are worth fighting for.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Midnight City posted:

I'm not touching the thread with a ten foot pole, could somebody summarize the Community bullshit? The only thing I think I know is Harmon got fired for being an rear end in a top hat to Chevy, show got cancelled, then Chevy got fired so they could bring back Harmon?
Harmon was not fired for being an rear end in a top hat to Chevy but presumably for being notoriously hard to work with. Show was not cancelled; it got new showrunners and most people would agree that no matter what their opinions on s1-3, s4 was very bad (unremarkable at best). Chevy quit/got fired because he was also hard to work with. Separately from that, the cast, led by Joel McHale, lobbied Sony hard to bring Harmon back, which, surprisingly, Sony did (nobody believed it was possible because there is zero precedent on US TV for a fired TV showrunner to be rehired). In other words, if Community ever gets cancelled, Dan's next show could be about the behind the scenes of Community and it would have about the same amount of nuttiness and drama.

So anyway, now, Dan Harmon is back, and based on the 1 hour premiere, season 5 is good (or trending in that direction) again, since most people probably laughed at it more than all of season 4. Season 5 spoiler: Chevy and Dan are not on as bad terms as everyone seems to think; Dan asked nicely and Chevy made a surprise cameo in the season premiere.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks.

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes of season 5 and it was shockingly better than all of 4. A few more episodes and it might go back to being a show I actually look forward to watching each week.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Season 5 of Community is an improvement over 4, but its still not "good." None of the characters' motivations except Jeff's have been fleshed out, so it seems like they're all attending their fifth year of community college not because they need or want to, but because they're characters in a tv show and that's what tv characters do. Until the show works out that little snag and gives each character his own raison d'être, its going to be held back by the falseness of its premise.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bown posted:

It's the narcissism of small differences.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

Season 5 of Community is an improvement over 4, but its still not "good." None of the characters' motivations except Jeff's have been fleshed out, so it seems like they're all attending their fifth year of community college not because they need or want to, but because they're characters in a tv show and that's what tv characters do. Until the show works out that little snag and gives each character his own raison d'être, its going to be held back by the falseness of its premise.

So yeah, it's loving great, what other proof do you need?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EL BROMANCE posted:

And who the gently caress is Russell Brand?!

The leader of the revolution, our Lord and Saviour :allears:

e: All this talk of Community improving is encouraging but I don't want to commit to the show when I know my favourite part of it is barely in this season :(

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 4, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Palooka posted:

So, I have a feeling I know what the answer will be in light of the last few pages, buuuuuuut…

I have Showtime free for three months and I'm thinking of bingeing through a series using Showtime Anytime (streaming). Don't have enough time to do all of them, so : internet, provide me with guidance!

Here are the choices I'm contemplating :
  • Shameless (I watched the first couple eps. last time I had Showtime, and did like it, but I'm not super big on shows that are generally about tons and tons of bad things happening to people, so I'm not sure how much I could handle)
  • Masters of Sex (haven't actually heard much talk about this, whether it's good or not? Like both the actors though)
  • Ray Donovan (did this turn around? I like Live Schreiber and I like crime dramas, but heard it wasn't great)
  • Homeland Season 3 (I really disliked how 24-ish Season 2 became, and have heard Season 3 is all over the place as well, but I liked Season 1 SO MUCH……)
Thoughts?
Watch the first two seasons of Shameless. It's some of the best TV, period. If you're up for watching season three, try it out as well, as it's probably better to watch it riding on the high of watching the prior seasons.

Masters of Sex is fine, but not amazing. I don't think the show would be that interesting without Lizzy Caplan, Beau Bridges, and Allison Janney.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrAristocrates posted:

So it's loving great, what other proof do you need?

I watched the first episode and everything was an improvement except for the comedy and the characters so I'd probably need more proof than the opinion of a terrible poster.

You're entire OP is a complaint about people arguing over the show while inviting it and then you pop into other threads and post poo poo like this.

More proof that people who stuck around after Season 3 just love misery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rarity posted:

The leader of the revolution, our Lord and Saviour :allears:

Wrong Russell Brand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvP3QV15FI

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I liked both Community episodes and I think everyone who watches it including myself is a huge moron so take that as you will.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Irish Joe posted:

I have to agree with that. It's better than S4 (which wasn't as atrocious as some make it sound), and especially the second episode has some good stuff (anything involving Jonathan Banks), but it isn't really that far above S4 like it is some Manna out of heaven. I also agree with the zero motivation (or even in retreads in case of Abed) for anyone aside Jeff. Still, as long as it doesn't disappear up its own rear end like S3 I'm happy.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Decius posted:

I have to agree with that. It's better than S4 (which wasn't as atrocious as some make it sound), and especially the second episode has some good stuff (anything involving Jonathan Banks), but it isn't really that far above S4 like it is some Manna out of heaven. I also agree with the zero motivation (or even in retreads in case of Abed) for anyone aside Jeff. Still, as long as it doesn't disappear up its own rear end like S3 I'm happy.

Apparently episode 4 is supposed to be "really good" so we still have that to look forward to- and the opener isn't just a fluke.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Argue posted:

In other words, if Community ever gets cancelled, Dan's next show could be about the behind the scenes of Community and it would have about the same amount of nuttiness and drama.

Let's call it "After Community"! I'll wait here for my royalty check.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Let's call it "After Community"! I'll wait here for my royalty check.

Isn't "After Community" basically what this season is? The characters are all back for flimsy reasons and Abed directly made a reference to the last season of Scrubs (although not AfterMASH, oddly). It is actually funny though and I like when comedies are funny so I'll keep watching as long as that keeps up. No reason to get all SMG Jr. about character motivations; the last time they tried that Inspector Spacetime happened, after all.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Isn't "After Community" basically what this season is? The characters are all back for flimsy reasons and Abed directly made a reference to the last season of Scrubs (although not AfterMASH, oddly). It is actually funny though and I like when comedies are funny so I'll keep watching as long as that keeps up. No reason to get all SMG Jr. about character motivations; the last time they tried that Inspector Spacetime happened, after all.

Yeah, gently caress basic writing tenants like " character motivation", that poo poo's for over-analytical nerds. Just get a bunch of people to make references to things and funny one-liners.

What's that, that show already exists and is called Family Guy? And most if not all good shows rely on character motivation because, once again, it's a basic tenant of script writing and is one of the reasons Community was so good in the first place?

Also, Inspector Spacetime was a joke that turned into something terrible because nerds can't let a good thing lie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, Inspector Spacetime was a joke that turned into something terrible because nerds can't let a good thing lie.

Little did we know how closely the series as a whole would follow this trajectory.

Episode Two of Season Five was pretty good, to be fair.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, gently caress basic writing tenants like " character motivation", that poo poo's for over-analytical nerds. Just get a bunch of people to make references to things and funny one-liners.

What's that, that show already exists and is called Family Guy? And most if not all good shows rely on character motivation because, once again, it's a basic tenant of script writing and is one of the reasons Community was so good in the first place?

Oh for gently caress's sake, all I'm saying is that the thing they should focus on is making the show funny over focusing on character arcs or whatever Joe was on about, which is something it's been sorely lacking for the last 1 1/2 seasons. It is entirely possible to still have good characterization while keeping comedy at the forefront of your comedy show, you know. No reason to become a giant blubbery snarky baby about it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

While the reasons for getting them all back were certainly flimsy, I can forgive that, 'cos Community is about a community college and I'm not sure there'd be any satisfying way to give them all good motivations to re-enrol, so I'm glad they just busted through what they had to in Ep1 and came up with a really good Ep2.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Little did we know how closely the series as a whole would follow this trajectory.

Episode Two of Season Five was pretty good, to be fair.

Your constant quest to justify and re-earn your avatar is quite remarkable.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 4, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Your constant quest to justify and re-earn your avatar is quite remarkable.

You've posted this before. My negativity isn't meant to be an attack, it's just how I enjoy posting and venting my negative opinions. I'm much more positive in person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because they failed at whatever they were trying to do. A lot of the time people go back to school when that happens.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Season 4 was Community's best season. The only time it was funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only real issue I have with Community season 4 is that it's nowhere near as funny - take any incidental dialogue scene from any of the episodes and it will be worse than 95% of the incidental dialogue scenes from seasons 1-3 (98% if you don't count the first few eps of season 1).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm much more positive in person.

Well it's not like that would be difficult :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, all I'm saying is that the thing they should focus on is making the show funny over focusing on character arcs or whatever Joe was on about, which is something it's been sorely lacking for the last 1 1/2 seasons. It is entirely possible to still have good characterization while keeping comedy at the forefront of your comedy show, you know. No reason to become a giant blubbery snarky baby about it.

I think it's perfectly fine for a show that falls into the "comedy" label to focus on things other than just how funny they can be. Worked for the Firesigns.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it's perfectly fine for a show that falls into the "comedy" label to focus on things other than just how funny they can be. Worked for the Firesigns.

Also, different things are funny to different people. For instance, I recently watched the movie American Hustle and then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, which to my utter bewilderment summarized it as "Riotously funny" whereas I was convinced it was a drama. I only smiled and/or chuckled maybe once or twice during its entire 2.5 hour run (particularly J-Law's scenes; please hand her another Oscar for this, Academy) so I was just astonished that some would consider it a comedy, but there you go. From now on I will never say comedy is not subjective again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Joramun posted:

Also, different things are funny to different people. For instance, I recently watched the movie American Hustle and then looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, which to my utter bewilderment summarized it as "Riotously funny" whereas I was convinced it was a drama. I only smiled and/or chuckled maybe once or twice during its entire 2.5 hour run (particularly J-Law's scenes; please hand her another Oscar for this, Academy)

It's Amy Adams' turn, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Hustle doesn't even work as a drama; it feels completely empty. It was only when I realised it was meant to be a comedy that it started making sense.

• Locked thread