Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Guest2553 posted:

I got to see mine during an interview with a BPSO to swap trades so if you really wanted to find out you probably could. I don't remember what mine were though :v:
The recruiter basically told me I'm smart enough for any job in the CF. Doesn't matter anymore though, diagnosed with Keratoconus a few years ago and now permanently disqualified from any kind of military service. So if the draft ever comes back my number won't come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Painsaw posted:

My food score was high as gently caress, like 140 or something, probably because I answered 'do you wash your hands after you finger your butthole' as 'true'.
They break it down that far? I don't even remember having any questions about food.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

E.Nigma posted:

The recruiter basically told me I'm smart enough for any job in the CF. Doesn't matter anymore though, diagnosed with Keratoconus a few years ago and now permanently disqualified from any kind of military service. So if the draft ever comes back my number won't come up.

poo poo dude, sorry :( I know a guy who got in about a month before some med reg changed and went from V4 to legally blind. His only available options became logistics (land), logistics (air) or logistics (sea) so he just released.

To keep things on the idiot track...non-ironically posing with your rifle pointed at a wall wearing shades and a pink pop-collar shirt in your barrack room isn't cool. It's not cool on week 1 of basic, and it's especially not cool as an Lt. And if you do feel compelled to take one, don't put it on facebook. Because even if you decide to display judgement for the first time in your life and take it down, once it's on the internet it's out there for good so you really shouldn't be surprised when it shows up again in a very public manner.

e. vvvv been half-assedly trying to track it down, it was a couple units ago. Last I heard it made a great debut at a callsign night along though :v:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 4, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

To keep things on the idiot track...non-ironically posing with your rifle pointed at a wall wearing shades and a pink pop-collar shirt in your barrack room isn't cool. It's not cool on week 1 of basic, and it's especially not cool as an Lt. And if you do feel compelled to take one, don't put it on facebook. Because even if you decide to display judgement for the first time in your life and take it down, once it's on the internet it's out there for good so you really shouldn't be surprised when it shows up again in a very public manner.
You really posted that without the picture? For shame.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Guest2553 posted:

To keep things on the idiot track...non-ironically posing with your rifle pointed at a wall wearing shades and a pink pop-collar shirt in your barrack room isn't cool. It's not cool on week 1 of basic

How would one have access to a camera, the internet, civilian clothes, or a "barrack room" in any week of basic training?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

thehumandignity posted:

How would one have access to a camera, the internet, civilian clothes, or a "barrack room" in any week of basic training?

Officer basic and some non-commissioned member basics have private rooms. Also depending on your instructors you might be allowed to use your cell phone at night. I know I was.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

thehumandignity posted:

I went through BCT in 2011 and we were given our phones for 5-15 minutes 2-3 times during BCT instead of using pay phones.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

It wasn't on basic training.I was trying to make the point that he did something 99% of privates know is dumb after he had a couple years in.

As far as cameras, not sure what it's like now but my Rambo shots were taken with a disposable camera. That made it much easier to destroy evidence when I got around to developing it years later - just had to burn the roll of film. Sometimes the old ways are best.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Godholio posted:

Alcohol-based fluids rather than petroleum-based.

I feel like the Russian version of this thread would be stories of people drinking the fluid.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BexGu posted:

I feel like the Russian version of this thread would be stories of people drinking the fluid.

They usually did. And being Russians, they also ran a black market on it. Someone (MrChips?) made a big effortpost in the AI Planes thread about it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BexGu posted:

I read something once about Siberian exiles getting into a barrel of lend-lease machine grease and eating a bunch of it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Snowdens Secret posted:

They usually did. And being Russians, they also ran a black market on it. Someone (MrChips?) made a big effortpost in the AI Planes thread about it.

I remember renting a movie called The Beast in the late 90s about a Russian tank crew terrorizing the local Afghans. One of the Russians was getting drunk off the brake fluid (" Added a little nuts and spices, its not bad!") who know it was based off reality?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
They used alcohol-based solvents and fluids whenever possible because they were easier to get hold of. All their rockets got wiped down with alcohol before being tested, which made it a popular job.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I do recall hearing about them using some sort of alcohol based fluid as a coolant for avionics on some of their jets, and of a bunch of Ruskie pilots drinking said coolant and causing their planes to crash because the avionics went out.

Or something to that effect. Point being, Russians are a bunch of alcoholics.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I read the same variation, only the Soviets would wipe down their communication/radio/avionics poo poo with gasoline instead of the intended alcohol solvents. Wasn't alcohol banned in the Soviet Army, which is what this all stemmed from?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Found it

MrChips posted:

Instead of a conventional hydraulic fluid, the MiG-25 used pure grain alcohol as hydraulic fluid. Being Russian at heart, pilots and ground crews alike in MiG-25 squadrons formed miniature black-market bootlegging rings to sell this free, state-supplied nectar, skimming off a bit of fluid every now and again and selling it in makeshift market stands outside the gates of their fighter bases! It was such a popular thing to do that the MiG-25 quickly earned the nickname “Massandra”, which is a backronym in Russian for “Mikoyan Aviation equips alcohol, people happy with decision of aircraft designer”. Famously (and perhaps apocryphally), the wives of these bootlegger-pilots began a letter-writing campaign, sending letters to both the MiG design bureau and the Air Ministry, demanding that a change be made to the MiG-25 to rid the aircraft of its boozy hydraulic fluid. Artem Mikoyan bristled at the suggestion, stating that “If aircraft system performance demands we fill it with the finest Armenian cognac, then that’s what we’ll use drat it!” Ultimately, later versions of the MiG-25 switched to a more conventional hydraulic fluid; certainly not because of the endemic bootlegging either.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That's loving awesome.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

BexGu posted:

I remember renting a movie called The Beast in the late 90s about a Russian tank crew terrorizing the local Afghans. One of the Russians was getting drunk off the brake fluid (" Added a little nuts and spices, its not bad!") who know it was based off reality?

This movie loving owns.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the Canadian Army has hardly any working artillery left, besides the M777.

Hey, the C3 works just fine!

As a museum piece.

I got really depressed once when working with some Americans, and they were like "Oh, THESE? We use these as ceremonial pieces."

:smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

You haven't hit the bottom of the barrel until you start swapping tac control radar parts with museum pieces because they're in better condition than the ones in your line squadron :v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Guest2553 posted:

You haven't hit the bottom of the barrel until you start swapping tac control radar parts with museum pieces because they're in better condition than the ones in your line squadron :v:

Scavenging parts off of display aircraft is a fine tradition in Naval aviation.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not as good a tradition as getting drunk off your 80 proof hydraulic fluid, I think :ussr:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

BexGu posted:

Wouldn't alcoholic brake and hydralic fluid be extremely flammable? With high enough alcohol percentage it would burn when you brake and heat brakes. Am I forgetting something about the chemistry here?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
I read an account of a bunch of Soviet POWs being freed in WWII. They apparently found a German tanker car leaking kerosene and started yelling "vodka!" and proceeded to drink themselves sick/blind.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Victor Suvorov's book The Liberators details a couple of absolutely amazing stories about alcohol and the Soviet army, which I would post here but I'm not sure if it would be :filez:.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
When i was working in the in the Norwegian Airforce as a firefighter we responded twice to the same MX-shop being on fire because of a herc pilot working on the magnesium wheels for his car. same pilot both times

i have tons of idiot stories from 3 years working fires on norwegian airbases, and don´t get me started on being deployed, where part of the job was training afghan nationals in firefighting.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Selklubber posted:

Wouldn't alcoholic brake and hydralic fluid be extremely flammable? With high enough alcohol percentage it would burn when you brake and heat brakes. Am I forgetting something about the chemistry here?

Not if there's no oxygen in the mixture

1MCLMF
Jan 3, 2014
I knew a guy that was in the National Guard and he was arrested for breaking and entering, theft of property etc... Basically he broke into a frat house on campus and stole thousands of dollars in clothes and electronics. Last I heard of him he didn't tell anyone in his unit. In this instance if he were to be convicted what would happen to him in the military?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Selklubber posted:

All I know is that MIL-PRF-83282 is flame inhibiting.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Selklubber posted:

The version of the story I heard was that it was used for coolant, not hyd fluid. Even if you have air-tight hyd lines, that stuff is always leaking out to some extent, and then you have hot, flammable liquid smeared all over your plane. Coolant would be under much less pressure and be much less leak-prone.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2017

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The Polish still use PGA for something on their birds, I'm not sure what but they'd always present me with canteens of "chopper juice" whenever there was a celebration.

It's basically the same as drinking hot sauce.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

50 Foot Ant posted:

You're assuming the people in charge of design, purchasing, putting it into the field, or making sure some poor rear end in a top hat has to use give a gently caress about you or any other unconnected non-bribing no rank having scumbag who might have to use it.

You're assuming that the people in charge of all that poo poo give a gently caress about human life beyond getting loving paid.

Who gives a poo poo if it bursts into flame and kills some private/conscript/lower NCO, there's plenty more of those assholes where the dead one came from, and if nobody is looking you might even be able to resell the dead guy to the chowhall as loving pork.
There were some interesting stories in Ignition! where some hair brained schemes got stopped before they became the death traps you're thinking of. It is very readable and has some very amusing passages. If you can get the book through interlibrary loan, I strongly recommend reading it. Some of the liquid fuels tested in the 50s and 60s ended up getting rejected by the Navy because of pesky things like "using water to extinguish the flames causes the water to catch on fire". Not the sort of things you want on a ship surrounded by water. Not the sort of thing you want to be around at all.

50 Foot Ant posted:

Plus, what were the chances it was ever really going to get used? A shitload of Soviet gear never moved once it was towed off the train and put into the motorpool. Hell, when we were looting East Germany and the poo poo they left behind we found poo poo that had less than 5 miles or 1 hour of running time.
Suvorov's books mentioned that many of the tanks needed engines rebuilt after about 20 hours of running time.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Huttan posted:

Suvorov's books mentioned that many of the tanks needed engines rebuilt after about 20 hours of running time.

I read this as being the 1730-1800 Suvorov to start with.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This guy's blog is pretty good, let's see what's going on-

quote:

There’s a report from the early 1950s (in this PDF) of a one-ton spill of the stuff. It burned its way through a foot of concrete floor and chewed up another meter of sand and gravel beneath, completing a day that I'm sure no one involved ever forgot. That process, I should add, would necessarily have been accompanied by copious amounts of horribly toxic and corrosive by-products: it’s bad enough when your reagent ignites wet sand, but the clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid are your special door prize if you’re foolhardy enough to hang around and watch the fireworks.

:stare: Whoever had 1 ton of that stuff laying around deserves a special mention in this thread :stare:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Huttan posted:

There were some interesting stories in Ignition! where some hair brained schemes got stopped before they became the death traps you're thinking of. It is very readable and has some very amusing passages. If you can get the book through interlibrary loan, I strongly recommend reading it. Some of the liquid fuels tested in the 50s and 60s ended up getting rejected by the Navy because of pesky things like "using water to extinguish the flames causes the water to catch on fire". Not the sort of things you want on a ship surrounded by water. Not the sort of thing you want to be around at all.

It's available to read here:
http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

This quote never gets old either:

quote:

Chlorine Trifluoride, ClF3, or "CTF" as the engineers insist on calling it, is a colorless gas, a greenish liquid, or a white solid.

It is also quite probably the most vigorous flourinating agent in existence - much more vigorous than fluorine itself... It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, water, sand, asbestos, and test engineers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Huttan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

the last one, water and glove, just :stare:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I love how most of that protective clothing doesn't even waste time burning. It just loving explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A guy I went to college with got drunk and beat up three disney land employees with a pvc pipe.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20131014/NEWS06/310140018/Update-Navy-aviator-training-accused-attacking-3-Disney-World

there have been no less than five different GMT's/all-hands meetings about this in the two training wings I've been in since.