Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Just wanted to tell you guys that the old Umlaut problem is back. The Umlauts are fine if I post in a thread, but if I edit a post all the Üs, Ös, Äs etc get messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Skimmed through the last few pages, sorry if I'm covering something wrong:

Shifting from portrait to landscape (or vice versa) on my Galaxy 7 tablet will always revert to the main forum page, losing my place in a thread. Interestingly, the main forum thread retains the title of the thread I was in. It's really annoying.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 31, 2013

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Can anyone explain how to add an app icon for the awful app to the home page of a kindle fire hdx? I got it to install fine from the link in the OP but I'm drawing a blank on how to get it on the home page.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Trast posted:

Can anyone explain how to add an app icon for the awful app to the home page of a kindle fire hdx? I got it to install fine from the link in the OP but I'm drawing a blank on how to get it on the home page.
Not to be unhelpful, but can't you hit the mayday button? That's what football season taught me about the Kindle Fire HDX.

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.
Are avatars broken for anyone? I left mine to show avatars but all of them is just a question mark.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Vulpix posted:

Are avatars broken for anyone? I left mine to show avatars but all of them is just a question mark.

Question mark icons indicate a loading problem. Could be caused by the current ddos on SA maybe.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cruseydr posted:

Not to be unhelpful, but can't you hit the mayday button? That's what football season taught me about the Kindle Fire HDX.

I'll give that a shot.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Because I'm a loving idiot and can't seem to find the option can anyone tell me how I disable the screen always on option I chose for this app because it's really draining the battery on my phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ferrosol posted:

Because I'm a loving idiot and can't seem to find the option can anyone tell me how I disable the screen always on option I chose for this app because it's really draining the battery on my phone.

Its in the thread options, like "post reply". If there's no checkmark there, it's not Awful.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Does anybody else's app auto-close when they set a post to Last Read?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

oldskool posted:

Not mine.

Device, Android version, app version ?

Not seeing crash reports with your name on them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

oldskool posted:

Not mine either. However, your post did make me realize that I'm an idiot that didn't even know that's a feature and I'm excited to know it exists.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

oldskool posted:

Mine does. Droid 4, Android version 4.1.2, Awful 3.0.5.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cocoavalley posted:

Mine does. Droid 4, Android version 4.1.2, Awful 3.0.5.
Mine too. Cherry Mobility poo poo Chinese tablet, 4.1.1, 3.0.5

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Droid Razr M, Android 4.1.2, Awful 3.0.5

It does mark the thread last read, at least.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

oldskool posted:

Yes, sometimes, on my Motorola Xoom. Running Awful 3.0.6 and Android 4.1.2.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Looks like it's a drat good thing I upgraded to 4.3 a couple weeks ago!

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

MisterBibs posted:

Skimmed through the last few pages, sorry if I'm covering something wrong:

Shifting from portrait to landscape (or vice versa) on my Galaxy 7 tablet will always revert to the main forum page, losing my place in a thread. Interestingly, the main forum thread retains the title of the thread I was in. It's really annoying.

Yeah this is driving me mad on my N7, any change of orientation completely messes things up. It seems to be related to the dual pane mode because it doesn't do it on any of my phones.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

From the dev thread:

Sereri posted:

How would you guys feel about removing the Go up function and replacing it with a sidebar Navigation Drawer? I guess you could do the hierarchy there anyway.

Also put stuff like settings and logout there and use the menu overflow for actual content related stuff.

We could even put favorited forums there.

Not sure how well it works with the viewpager.

baka kaba posted:

I only just found out it did that. I always assumed it would go back a screen!

You might want to pitch the idea in the other thread - I've sometimes thought it would be nice to be able to go up to the forum if I got in through a bookmark, maybe a lot of people are already doing that a lot and would get super mad

Probably not the worst idea. There was an app that just used a ⚙ button for settings and and 0/1 button for off (logout) at the top but I forgot which one it was. Other than that just look at the youtube or gmail app. Like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

From the dev thread:

Probably not the worst idea. There was an app that just used a button for settings and and 0/1 button for off (logout) at the top but I forgot which one it was. Other than that just look at the youtube or gmail app. Like that.
On the one hand the current swipe navigation works so well that it'd be hard to give up. On the other though I'll admit it's really non-standard.

I wish I could say something other than I'd really need to try it for a while before I could give an informed opinion.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

On the one hand the current swipe navigation works so well that it'd be hard to give up. On the other though I'll admit it's really non-standard.

I wish I could say something other than I'd really need to try it for a while before I could give an informed opinion.

I've yet to write a single line of code towards this so yes, gotta see how it turns out. Theoretically though the swipe navigation would stay. Similar to how in the gmail app you can swipe to archive mails and pull up the menu when swiping from the left border of the screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

I've yet to write a single line of code towards this so yes, gotta see how it turns out. Theoretically though the swipe navigation would stay. Similar to how in the gmail app you can swipe to archive mails and pull up the menu when swiping from the left border of the screen.
In that case then it seems like a no-brainer incorporate the menu there.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

In that case then it seems like a no-brainer incorporate the menu there.
How can you make all of these posts about Android and not know how "hamburger" menus work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How can you make all of these posts about Android and not know how "hamburger" menus work?
I know how hamburgers work but what I didn't know is if the swipe navigation precluded use of them. If the hamburger could only be pulled with the button in the upper left then no, it'd be a bad idea because most people can't reach that region one-handed holding the device with their right hand. If the hamburger could be pulled while retaining the swipe navigation then that's not an issue.

It doesn't help that Awful is the only app I've seen that uses full page swipes for UI navigation so I don't really know what's possible and what isn't when it's used.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the only app I've seen with a hamburger menu AND a full screen swipe user interface is ES File Explorer and you can't pull the hamburger from the edge, you have to hit the button in the upper left. That of course uses a nonstandard fake action bar so I'm not sure how applicable that would be to Awful's situation.

Edit: vvv Didn't think of the Play Store, thanks.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 9, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google's Play Newstand is a good example of an app that uses full screen left/right paging with swipes and also has a Navigation Drawer (hamburger menu), and most people probably have it installed, so check that out if you want to see how it works/feels.

Edit: Maps also does it but it's a little different since you can drag the map in any direction.

Edit edit: Actually the Play Store itself is another one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The new beta just hit my tablet which means it is available on play for everyone in the beta.
The main change is the rearranged settings menu made by baka kaba. If you have any suggestions for it please post them in the dev thread. I also changed the immersion mode on a test basis, as suggested by Glimm.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 12, 2014

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Sereri posted:

The new beta just hit my tablet which means it is available on play for everyone in the beta.
The main change is the rearranged settings menu made by baka kaba. If you have any suggestions for it please post them in the dev thread. I also changed the immersion mode on a test basis, as suggested by Glimm.

The new settings menu is a lot easier to find stuff in.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Sereri posted:

The new immersion mode is pretty awesome, except it uses the old behavior (text shifting and black navigation buttons) when clicking on the down arrow/context menu thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just joined the beta. Unfortunately I can't try inmersive mode but the new menu structure looks to be a huge improvement.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Dradien posted:

The new immersion mode is pretty awesome, except it uses the old behavior (text shifting and black navigation buttons) when clicking on the down arrow/context menu thing.

LastInLine posted:

The new sticky immersive mode looks like poo poo but is much nicer without the jumping around so I say keep it but it's still annoying with the menus causing a jump.
This is the reason why I haven't merged it in yet and since it's a 7 character change I just edited it in before building.
The problem is that immersion mode is disabled if the activity loses focus. For some inane reason this also applies to the menu overflow and dialogs. Google wants immersion mode to focus on the content, in our case the forum list and the thread posts. Displaying the actionbar during IM is apparently not advised.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
In the thread view, if you click the next page button while at the bottom of the page, it takes you to the bottom of the next page instead of the top. Is this a known bug?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Dradien posted:

This is something I've been working on, but haven't got anywhere :(

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In the thread view, if you click the next page button while at the bottom of the page, it takes you to the bottom of the next page instead of the top. Is this a known bug?

Its a known bug but now there's ticket for it :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The app is completely broken for me. I was getting the "Loading failed" error, which I figured might have been because I'd had to change my password. I logged out, logged back in with the new password and got the "GLUE" message to indicate this was successful. However, while all my bookmarks appeared I was told I wasn't logged in when I tried to refresh them, and when I tried updating my account features in settings my Platinum disappeared.

Using Galaxy S4, I think I have KitKat.

E: just checked and I do have Platinum when accessing through my mobile browser, so it's just the app.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jedit posted:

The app is completely broken for me. I was getting the "Loading failed" error, which I figured might have been because I'd had to change my password. I logged out, logged back in with the new password and got the "GLUE" message to indicate this was successful. However, while all my bookmarks appeared I was told I wasn't logged in when I tried to refresh them, and when I tried updating my account features in settings my Platinum disappeared.

Using Galaxy S4, I think I have KitKat.

E: just checked and I do have Platinum when accessing through my mobile browser, so it's just the app.

Fully close the app then start it up again. If this doesn't help clear the app data.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sereri posted:

Fully close the app then start it up again. If this doesn't help clear the app data.

Tried both. I fixed it, but I had to do a full uninstall and reinstall.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If anyone thinks any settings are in a stupid place/have stupid names and has any suggestions, fire away! There are length considerations (for smaller screens) but that's probably all you have to worry about

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Am I posting issues with the beta here or in the other thread?

Anyway, is the frog in the top left supposed to take me back to the forum or to my bookmarks list? I navigate almost exclusively through bookmarks, and the frog used to take me back to bookmarks...now it seems to take me back to the forum of whatever thread I am in. At least most of the time, I believe

E: of course, after this post the frog took me back to bookmarks

E2: the frog took me to IYG after the edit ahhhh

myron cope fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 16, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

myron cope posted:

Am I posting issues with the beta here or in the other thread?

Anyway, is the frog in the top left supposed to take me back to the forum or to my bookmarks list? I navigate almost exclusively through bookmarks, and the frog used to take me back to bookmarks...now it seems to take me back to the forum of whatever thread I am in. At least most of the time, I believe

E: of course, after this post the frog took me back to bookmarks

E2: the frog took me to IYG after the edit ahhhh

http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation.html

A well-designed Android app is supposed to move back to the previous page when you use the back button and up to the higher page in the hierarchy when you use the up button (i.e., the frog).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Maybe I always was hitting the back button and I'm just losing my mind. That works all the time