Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I always rush Industrialism for the free tenets. I look at the tourism overview and if I’m being influenced heavily and I don’t think I can ride it out with excess happiness, I go Order. Order is almost always the most popular ideology on Immortal and Deity. Otherwise, I go Freedom because it’s just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The real question is, why were there eight other players left? Murder Time Fun Time has the late-game benefit of eliminating potential threats before they even get into the Renaissance Era. I used to be very self-conscious about this until I realized that the AI will always inevitably hate you just because you're winning, so it's not like diplomacy is gonna help you but for some research agreements in the mid-game. Even those I've noticed have gotten quite the nerf for the tech leader since G&K.

Re: rushing Industrialism, I prefer the Radio slingshot with Oxford. If you build it in your top production city, chances are you'll get both it and finish Electricity before you would complete Factories in three different cities.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 3, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The problem with the Radio slingshot is that even if you pop Oxford for Radio itself, Scientific Theory has more pre‐requisites: everything Industrialization has, plus Acoustics and Architecture. That’s quite a wait.

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

1) This is why you should make the Continents Plus change

2) If you're Venice and you're too far away to trade, buy a city state that's in a nice central location and make him your trade hub.

3) I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking, you are BAD at this game and I would totally watch a Let's Play of you on this game so I can watch a grown man flail uselessly against the world.

I imagine you as your avatar, with Sweden (loving Sweden) standing over you, glowering, and slowly unzipping his pantaloons.

Yeah Venice is disgustingly easy maybe it's just really suited to my playstyle (I love tall with puppets) but Merchant of Venice seems unfair in some games. From setting up trade hubs like you said, to puppeting that CS that has coal/oil/plutonium, to just stealing that CS that has a huge navy and whoa it's mine now. You should hit a stage where you industrialise first and then buy factories in your 10 puppets on the next turn. You're Venice.

aeverous fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I wish I was better at seeing enemy victories coming. England just beat me via Diplomacy while I was just about 20 turns from Cultural as Ethiopia. Every vote was crazy even between her and Alexander but at some point she swung the poo poo out of every city state and I failed to see it happening.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Disable diplomatic victory in single player, seriously. Cash already rules everything around you in this game, you don't really need to to be able to literally buy a win in addition to that (or get pantsed by an AI doing it). More gold/GPT does everything for you. More units and happiness buildings you can maintain, rush buying, more city state allies and perks, more bribes to the AI. It's not as bad as it was in G&K since you have to protect trade routes to keep that income going, but it's still pretty bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antares posted:

Disable diplomatic victory in single player, seriously. Cash already rules everything around you in this game, you don't really need to to be able to literally buy a win in addition to that (or get pantsed by an AI doing it). More gold/GPT does everything for you. More units and happiness buildings you can maintain, rush buying, more city state allies and perks, more bribes to the AI. It's not as bad as it was in G&K since you have to protect trade routes to keep that income going, but it's still pretty bad.

It's worse than that. Now that diplomatic victory no longer requires construction of the UN or any technological advance it is essentially guaranteed to happen before a science or cultural victory can be achieved.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Great Scientists, is it ever beneficial to create Academies, or should they always be expended for beakers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Sweetling posted:

Speaking of Great Scientists, is it ever beneficial to create Academies, or should they always be expended for beakers?

Plant the first few for sure. Early in the game they pay for themselves within a few dozen turns, and in the late game they can yield up to 50 beakers/turn each, as well as culture if the World Congress has passed Historical Landmarks.

Try clicking on an existing academy tile and seeing how your beakers/turn changes. Multiply that by the number of turns you expect the game will last for then compare to what you would if you expended the scientist to help discover a technology.

The Modern Era is when they start to break even. There are fewer turns left in the game for the academies to work their magic, and your raw rate is very high so you would get a lot of beakers for expending them.

Keep in mind you don’t have to use the scientist right away. I usually have two or three scientists waiting for me to research Plastics and build research labs. The best time to use great scientists is at least eight turns (on standard speed) after your labs have become operational.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Platystemon posted:

Plant the first few for sure. Early in the game they pay for themselves within a few dozen turns, and in the late game they can yield up to 50 beakers/turn each, as well as culture if the World Congress has passed Historical Landmarks.

Try clicking on an existing academy tile and seeing how your beakers/turn changes. Multiply that by the number of turns you expect the game will last for then compare to what you would if you expended the scientist to help discover a technology.

The Modern Era is when they start to break even. There are fewer turns left in the game for the academies to work their magic, and your raw rate is very high so you would get a lot of beakers for expending them.

I'd stop making academies way before Modern. I make no more than 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Personally I like to use them to build Academies just because of the long term benefit, but I just looked up the formula for how many beakers they actually give you, and optimal use depends on your situation.

They provide a certain number of turns worth of beakers of your current science output (the number depends on game speed; 5.36 for quick, 8 for standard, 12 for epic, 24 for marathon). So essentially to figure out how useful an Academy will be for you, multiply your current science output by the modifier for your current game speed, then divide the resulting number by your current Academy yield (you can probably just round it up to the next level if you're close to discovering scientific theory or atomic theory). The result is the number of turns it will take for an Academy to produce an equivalent number of beakers to just popping the GS immediately. It'll be slightly off because of the weirdness of beaker overflow, but I'm trying to keep the calculation simple.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So essentially to figure out how useful an Academy will be for you, multiply your current science output by the modifier for your current game speed, then divide the resulting number by your current Academy yield (you can probably just round it up to the next level if you're close to discovering scientific theory or atomic theory).

Science gets a lot of multipliers, 10% from Rationalism, 17% from universities and Free Thought, 33% for the university itself, 50% for the National College, 50% for observatories, 50% from research labs and if you picked Order, 25% from a factory.

All told, working the tile might yield 335% as many beakers as the tooltip suggests.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Platystemon posted:

Science gets a lot of multipliers, 10% from Rationalism, 17% from universities and Free Thought, 33% for the university itself, 50% for the National College, 50% for observatories, 50% from research labs and if you picked Order, 25% from a factory.

All told, working the tile might yield 335% as many beakers as the tooltip suggests.

...It's weird to note how many multipliers Science gets. I don't think Food gets that many, nor does production.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Polish just declared war on me, claiming they needed 'living space.'

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What's polish for liebensraum?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bloodly posted:

...It's weird to note how many multipliers Science gets. I don't think Food gets that many, nor does production.

This is part of what allows second-banana civs to catch up in the middle of the game now. Early on simply having more people will give you more beakers, but a burgeoning population won't help you in the face of a Free Thought/University renaissance city in the jungle.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of my puppet cities as Venice has decided to produce Wealth, even though there's a bunch of basic buildings left to be built. Is there any way to dissuade them?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

How is your GPT? The only thing I can think is they tend to prioritize what they think you need, so if your income is low or negative they might favor wealth/markets/banks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does Continents Plus have less resources or is that just a combination of confirmation bias and seeing the crazy 20-resource starts people post here?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Does Continents Plus have less resources or is that just a combination of confirmation bias and seeing the crazy 20-resource starts people post here?

There are at least a couple ITT that do stuff like always play with Legendary Start set on King, restarting until they have 4 Salt, and dispense advice on how handily you should be winning games. I doubt it's the map script. I often generate maps (although I seldom use continents plus) with regional resource concentrations where I'd have to go 50 tiles to find more than two different luxuries.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For some reason I used to think Prince was too hard, but as of today it's easy enough that it's boring. I'm routinely stepping all over the AI while they beg me for money and friendship declarations. I'm pretty sure I've gotten both World Religion and World Ideology every time without even going for a diplomatic victory.

Any tips for King? I'm thinking I'll start in my comfort zone, Babylon and Science Victory.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Antares posted:

How is your GPT? The only thing I can think is they tend to prioritize what they think you need, so if your income is low or negative they might favor wealth/markets/banks.

I had something like 200 GPT. :v They went back to buildings after a few turns, so I guess it was just an AI quirk.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Harrow posted:

For some reason I used to think Prince was too hard, but as of today it's easy enough that it's boring. I'm routinely stepping all over the AI while they beg me for money and friendship declarations. I'm pretty sure I've gotten both World Religion and World Ideology every time without even going for a diplomatic victory.

Any tips for King? I'm thinking I'll start in my comfort zone, Babylon and Science Victory.

Genghis - Keshik

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Genghis - Keshik

There is something uniquely beautiful about a ranged unit that can move after attacking. I can never decide if I like that or the Chu-No-Ku "fire twice per turn who needs cannons and also you keep this magnificent ability all the way up to Bazooka" better.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the worst part about Keshiks and Horse Archers is they turn into melee units.

If you don't do a hell of a lot of conquering before they obsolete, you're sitting on a bunch of +1 Range, Double Range Attack Melee Units who get neither of those bonuses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m pretty sure Logistics carries over to cavalry (and stacks with blitz), though range obviously doesn’t. The worst part is that accuracy and barrage don’t carry over yet you’re still paying for them in XP cost scaling.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Accuracy and Barrage carry over their damage bonuses but they don't allow you to access promotions deeper in the tree.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keshiks still win over cannons, gatling guns and the early gunpowder infantry, they just take a little longer to kill.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Platystemon posted:

I’m pretty sure Logistics carries over to cavalry (and stacks with blitz), though range obviously doesn’t. The worst part is that accuracy and barrage don’t carry over yet you’re still paying for them in XP cost scaling.

Logistics does not carry over. I know because my Horse Archer turned Knight could only attack once.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JayMax posted:

The thread used to say the cutoff point is Plastics, but I've lately been stopping at around Scientific Theory. Still, I generate so many goddamn GSes to that point I usually have four or five Academies by then.

Bloodly posted:

They certainly don't, but they also aren't balanced around having those bonuses.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 5, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JayMax posted:

Unless you're planning on abusing the overflow exploit or something, that would sacrifice too much early and mid game science, imo. I usually go for around 3 or 4 academies around my capital.

The White Dragon posted:

The thread used to say the cutoff point is Plastics, but I've lately been stopping at around Scientific Theory. Still, I generate so many goddamn GSes to that point I usually have four or five Academies by then.

I've never heard anyone say to settle GSes until plastics. I've heard plenty of people say to save up your GSes after a certain point and mass bulb them once you hit Plastics, or somewhere around there. That's a viable strategy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think that technically Logistics does carry over from Keshik to Cavalry, but since Logistics only applies to ranged attacks which the Cavalry doesn't use, it can't make use of the promotion.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think that technically Logistics does carry over from Keshik to Cavalry, but since Logistics only applies to ranged attacks which the Cavalry doesn't use, it can't make use of the promotion.

The one time I tried this, my cav upgraded from Keshiks could attack twice with the Logistics upgrade, but adding Blitz didn't give the cav any additional attacks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Been awhile since I went for an early military victory. Went Zulu, built up my forces to kick rear end. Unfortunately Askia was my neighbor and his city was quite powerful. He had few forces but he was able to blow away my catapults in one shot each using just his city. drat. I had forgotten that the Zulu really shine in the Middle Ages. Needed more Impi!

AddMEonFacebook
Dec 3, 2012

by Cowcaster
So is this like a good place to find serious players for multiplayer games?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

AddMEonFacebook posted:

So is this like a good place to find serious players for multiplayer games?

There is a steam group for this thread, with regular games: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

Currently there's a game running for US players (Thursday and Sunday, 7pm EST to 9pm EST) which tends to turn into a series as one game ends and a new one starts - but so far only one game at a time. I think they're in the middle of one at the moment.

I've been trying to start a game for EU players - same days but a few hours earlier - but have been plagued with computer problems. Last time I just plain disappeared because my computer was overheating. I think they're finally all fixed now though so I'm going to try and join the next US game and play that through (just to make sure), then start an EU game again.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 5, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I randomed Siam in a multiplayer game so I said to myself okay: Gonna collect all the things worth selling, going to make a huge trade empire, going to spend money on making city states like me, going to go tradition and get huge stacked cities and be the happiest goddamn country that ever existed.

I started on a continent by myself with only a mercantile city state. The island had two wines, five sugars, one gem. Each of those sugars was far enough away that it required a separate city to reach. I only put two on this first lonely continent before paddling over for better locations and found one with spice, two bananas, and three pearls.

So my trade empire safely consisted of one banana, one wine, two sugars, two pearls. After that I'm selling my happiness. I Look over at the trade options for my friend, on the main continent, running liberty, and he has every single luxury resource except pearls, whales, and porcelain, and he was at war with america, then ethiopia, then I paid austria to go to war with him and he beat them too, and then he doubled my score and like whatever my score was his was exactly double for the rest of the game. He didn't sell his resources he just sat on them, three at a time, and I couldn't catch up.

So clearly when there's only one cultured city state and korea won't stop rigging the elections, and I do not have a trade empire base, and I can only find mercantile city states, the answer was not to go piety (gods and kings only by the way) for the +culture from excess happiness and hope to out culture/outtech with my wats in the jungle. I lost very badly and confusingly. I would periodically ask what his gold/culture/science per turn was and my numbers were either higher or at parity but he was doing laps around me culture wise (I finished tradition, got three into piety, he had finished commerce and liberty and had the same honor opener I did. He had four cities and for 90% of the game I only had three but he out cultured me). He very clearly was doing culture faster than me even though he shouldn't have, unless being at war as japan gives you culture out the rear end. My religion, also, was built to make city states like me better and take to the faith faster, plus pagodas and cathedrals and it didn't end up helping.

A side question: Only the aztecs are supposed to get culture from war right? Why do I see culture +'s appear after killing barbarians no matter who I play?

Okay so clearly the RNG boned me with placement but that's only if my original idea was my only option and I'm pretty sure there exists a thing to do when you have a continent to yourself and all the sugar you can eat. What should I have done with simple isolation and inherent security from the fact that nobody is likely to bother me?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Basic tank equips itself with advanced weapons found in the ancient ruins -- suddenly a flock of modern armor! That must have been the leftovers of one of my apocalypse-then-space victories.

In my most recent game I managed to pick up a lot of culture and free policies, snagged first ideology suddenly, and popped out the six foreign legions; only needed to attack with two or three to capture any city on my entire continent :woop: They trounced the in-vogue pikemen and muskets.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Krinkle posted:

A side question: Only the aztecs are supposed to get culture from war right? Why do I see culture +'s appear after killing barbarians no matter who I play?

Because you took the honor opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Okay so clearly the RNG boned me with placement but that's only if my original idea was my only option and I'm pretty sure there exists a thing to do when you have a continent to yourself and all the sugar you can eat. What should I have done with simple isolation and inherent security from the fact that nobody is likely to bother me?

The honor opener gives you culture for killing barbs.

It might help if you post a save file of one of your games so we can identify what exactly is going wrong. You mentioned you needed 5 cities to reach all the sugar on the island but really, building extra cities just to get more copies of a luxury you already have is not worth it by itself.

• Locked thread