Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

Is this the thread for freep-like poo poo family member say? "we're going to have to become Muslim and Yellow as they're taking over" (they is "Arabs" and "China" respectively) Haha good old grampa :smith:
I think that's the "Got a crazy forwarded political email from your family?" thread, which is mostly social media anyway. Maybe he posts on freep in his free time though :ohdear:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

How do you become yellow :wtc:
Clearly you're not as familiar with classic American movies as Kurtofan's grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ask James Bond in You Only Live Twice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Liver failure.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Liver failure.

Self-fulfilling prophecy, then. Drink up, lads!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zeroisanumber posted:

Pretty sure he means the Articles of Confederation, which we tossed in favor of the current Constitution because the loving thing didn't work and got to be such a massive headache that George Washington himself (among others) demanded that we come up with something better. Some :byodood: STATES RIGHTS!!! :byodood: wet-dreamers on the far-right want to bring it back.

The Articles of Confederation would be even less apt for a king though. I'm sure he did mean the Constitution just...only the first 10 amendments (Since people don't know what "Amendment" means). They absolutely would bring back slavery and takeaway voting from Women, it's the only choice that makes "sense".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Articles of Confederation would be even less apt for a king though. I'm sure he did mean the Constitution just...only the first 10 amendments (Since people don't know what "Amendment" means). They absolutely would bring back slavery and takeaway voting from Women, it's the only choice that makes "sense".
Sure, taking voting rightsprivileges away from minorities and women would result in Republican supermajorities in Congress with Republican presidents. It would be a dream come true!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Sure, taking voting rightsprivileges away from minorities and women would result in Republican supermajorities in Congress with Republican presidents. It would be a dream come true!
"If only we could reverse women's suffrage, then we would truly be living in the land of the free." --Something a Freeper literally said (or close to it)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Rokstar posted:

"If only we could reverse women's suffrage, then we would truly be living in the land of the free." --Something a Freeper literally said (or close to it)
I believe Ann Coulter said that, more or less

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Rokstar posted:

That was said by Ann Coulter. :negative:

e,fb

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It was also heavily echoed by freep after the 2012 results--even by the few female posters. Damned overemotional womenfolk getting seduced by the black man :argh:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jagged Jim posted:

That was said by Ann Coulter. :negative:

e,fb

Freep has since turned on Coulter. I think it was something birth control related. Maybe immigration. On my phone so I can't look it up easily.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Freep has since turned on Coulter. I think it was something birth control related. Maybe immigration. On my phone so I can't look it up easily.

It was backing Chris Christie over Romney during the primaries, saying that Romney would lose.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Obviously that just means we'll have to cut the evil EBT programs :v:

Over my dead body.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

It was backing Chris Christie over Romney during the primaries, saying that Romney would lose.

That's amazing. I'll remind everyone that supporting Mitt was zot-worthy during the primary.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's amazing. I'll remind everyone that supporting Mitt was zot-worthy during the primary.

Did they every reinstate anyone zotted over Romney after Jimrob did his 180? (doubt it)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zwabu posted:

Did they every reinstate anyone zotted over Romney after Jimrob did his 180? (doubt it)

I don't believe they did, and some freepers who pointed it out got banned themselves if I remember right.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Zwabu posted:

Nope, but they did zot anyone who brought up reinstatement. :v:

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

She spoke at GOProud in 2010. Never mind that she said the same lovely Ann Coulter things she normally does, it was all over for Freep.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't believe they did, and some freepers who pointed it out got banned themselves if I remember right.

Not only that but SavageSusie or someone was denying that Jimrob ever voted for Romney.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Georgia Peach posted:

Yeah, growing up Southern Baptist, it was pretty much taught that if you don't support Israel and the chosen people, God will gently caress you up.

This little tract by Jack Chick gives a pretty solid breakdown.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1000/1000_01.asp

Among the high points:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"Egypt relies on others for aid, unlike Israel"

:ironicat:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But, creating a modern Israeli state was Great Britain's idea?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

But, creating a modern Israeli state was Great Britain's idea?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If the Jews are God's chosen people, shouldn't we all be Jewish then? :confused:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

The Rokstar posted:

If the Jews are God's chosen people, shouldn't we all be Jewish then? :confused:

The Jews are God's chosen people, but they were supposed to accept Christ when he came. The good Jews have converted or will convert, while the bad Jews are spiting God by continuing to be Jewish. This is literally what they believe.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I love it when people say "Lo and behold all these empires collapsed because they didn't follow my belief system" as if there are any civilisations that haven't collapsed a few times.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wasn't Rome more or less supportive of Christianity and Judaism come the end of the empire?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

WarpedNaba posted:

Wasn't Rome more or less supportive of Christianity and Judaism come the end of the empire?

Christianity was the state-sponsored religion of late Rome, so I think it's safe to assume so.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

WarpedNaba posted:

Rome became explicitly Christian (as in, the Emperor declared in the state religion and closed all the old pagan temples) around 320AD. It fell (at least, in the West) about 130 years later, and the adoption of Christianity has been cited as a major reason why.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

Rome became explicitly Christian (as in, the Emperor declared in the state religion and closed all the old pagan temples) around 320AD. It fell (at least, in the West) about 130 years later, and the adoption of Christianity has been cited as a major reason why.

Note: it is widely considered that "Christianity made it fall" was total bullshit made up by some historians a few centuries ago who were angry at churches.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

FMguru posted:

Nooooo it is not.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
As much as I highly distrust organised religions, I'd have to agree with Kyonko on this one. Rome's collapse was more about an enormous, beleaguered bureaucracy coupled with over-extension and expansion, topped off with untold decadence and corruption. For all its faults, Christianity couldn't have toppled one of the largest ancient empires by itself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Smeep posted:

She spoke at GOProud in 2010. Never mind that she said the same lovely Ann Coulter things she normally does, it was all over for Freep.

I have zero problem with her trolling GOProud. gently caress GOProud and anyone one else who responds to being on the receiving end of oppression by going "The only problem with America relentlessly making GBS threads on powerless groups is that I personally am exluded from the ranks of the oppressors."

WarpedNaba posted:

As much as I highly distrust organised religions, I'd have to agree with Kyonko on this one. Rome's collapse was more about an enormous, beleaguered bureaucracy coupled with over-extension and expansion, topped off with untold decadence and corruption. For all its faults, Christianity couldn't have toppled one of the largest ancient empires by itself.

Wasn't it an explicitly fascist talking-point that Christianity ruined Rome because it preached equality, elevated the weak, and told the Supermen to help the needy rather than pursue power and glory?

Anyway, fortunately as we saw in the colonial era, Christianity can be easily adapted to support imperial exploitation and slavery :v:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 5, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It weakened it a lot at a time when Rome couldn't afford it.

Christianity was supposed to unify the empire, but it didn't, because early Christians were a fractious, sectarian lot, and the empire was soon riven with theological arguments and declarations of heresy and ecumenical councils and on and on that required direct intervention from the Emperor to deal with (such interventions would often lead at least one side feeling badly betrayed and hey presto: unrest and rebellion). The adoption of Christianity also kicked away one of the empire's more important strengths, its general religious and cultural tolerance (as long as you remitted your taxes, didn't rebel, and paid lip service to the deified Imperial cult, they didn't care if you worshipped Jove, Isis, Zoroaster, Baal, Woden, Mithas, Sol Invictus, or whoever - and that was now replaced with great pressures for conversion and conformance to a single religion). One reason they could never really integrate and settle the Goths into the population of the Empire was that the Goths practiced the Arian form of Christianity, which had been declared the worst kind of heresy in the empire. Finally, when the empire required a strong central leadership to deal with an escalating series of crises, the church created a parallel, independent, and competing structure of authority and legitimacy - the Emperor needed a free hand to deal with all the problems, and he had keep turning to the Bishop Ambroses of the world in order to get anything done.

It wasn't the main source of the empire's fall, but it was definitely a drain on imperial strength and capabilities at a time when Rome needed everything it had to deal with the barbarian crises.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

FMguru posted:

early Christians were a fractious, sectarian lot, and the empire was soon riven with theological arguments and declarations of heresy

Well its good to see things have changed! :downsrim:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

I love this. This line is not in the bible at all.

The actual passage labeled Revelation 6:8 in the most hallowed KJV is

King James Version posted:

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Chick Tracks are full of these, completely making poo poo up and claiming its in the bible because they know most modern Christians are way to lazy to actually look things up and just go along with authoritative figures.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Could you imagine how baffling it would haven if the line was in the Bible? For two thousand years it'd be the biggest biblical mystery ever and we'd call every war WW1 to try and hasten things.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Anyway, fortunately as we saw in the colonial era, Christianity can be easily adapted to support imperial exploitation and slavery :v:

And to Pat Robertson and Mobutu Sese Seko running a diamond mine together! Like good Christian brothers.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Christians molding the name of Jesus and the Bible as a way to justify their flavor of the month agendas is one of my favorite things about Christianity and goes against everything I've learned about the religion in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FMguru posted:

It weakened it a lot at a time when Rome couldn't afford it.

Christianity was supposed to unify the empire, but it didn't, because early Christians were a fractious, sectarian lot, and the empire was soon riven with theological arguments and declarations of heresy and ecumenical councils and on and on that required direct intervention from the Emperor to deal with (such interventions would often lead at least one side feeling badly betrayed and hey presto: unrest and rebellion).

It's also at least worth noting that although Christianity wasn't the cause of the disastrous loss of Egypt to the Arab invasion, the general populace did welcome in the Muslims because at least the Caliphate would let you alone to practice your religion as long as you paid your taxes, which was way better than the constant Roman inquisitions and suppressions of the largely Monophysite Egyptians. After the conquest there was basically no significant resistance because no one wanted invite those Roman assholes back in.

• Locked thread