Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

My Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday! :toot:

I own a resin Namiki Falcon with a SM nib, and after trying one out at a Pen Posse and taking a month to consider, decided to buy one of John Mottishaw's Spencerian modified Falcon nibs.

Here's a writing comparison between the Soft Medium and the Spencerian Modified nibs, written with the same pen body, ink, paper and hand. The Spencerian Mod is done by grinding down an SF nib to XXF then adding more flex and tighter snap-back. You can see the variation between the thin and thick strokes is larger, plus the switch from thin to thick, or back from thick to thin, is much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

What Pelikan model is this?

It's an M600. Slightly shorter than a TWSBI 540.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Noodler's Purple Heart is a good dusty purple

Yup, it's absolutely beautiful.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I keep a Metropolitan around for work purposes, and HoD is absolutely leaky as all hell on it. It's to the point where I've swapped back to Quink because I'm tired of getting permablack everything. Have people found this to be the case with HoD? I think I'm just going to keep my Safari inked with HoD because it doesn't leak any.

Also I got my girlfriend the purple Metro with some Diamine Majestic Purple (and a journal) for Christmas, and she's absolutely loving it. :a2m:

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
My Lamy Al-Star (ocean blue) and some new ink bottles showed up last night. Quite liking the Lamy, though as far as less expensive pens go, I dig my Metro more. They feel like they serve two different kinds of writers though, and I can see why someone would prefer either. (And I feel like I wouldn't be able to break the Lamy if I tried.) What I'm loving on both is the smaller nibs—on my Pelikan, I've got a larger italic nib, and while I adore the whole shebang it's ultimately more comfortable to write with the finer nibs, since I print most of what I write.

Diamine Twilight is my new favorite ink; highly recommend it. Also have a bottle of Matador, which is a nice, bright red. I also got one of those single-pen leather cases from Leatherology, and while I wouldn't really expect it to actually protect a pen, it's a nice way to carry one around.

Also, Chicken, your handwriting is lovely.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Audax posted:

I keep a Metropolitan around for work purposes, and HoD is absolutely leaky as all hell on it. It's to the point where I've swapped back to Quink because I'm tired of getting permablack everything. Have people found this to be the case with HoD? I think I'm just going to keep my Safari inked with HoD because it doesn't leak any.

Also I got my girlfriend the purple Metro with some Diamine Majestic Purple (and a journal) for Christmas, and she's absolutely loving it. :a2m:

Metro is my workhorse pen, and I keep HoD in it. Never had this problem. Definitely writes on the wetter side, but not leaky.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

asylum years posted:

Also, Chicken, your handwriting is lovely.

Thankyou! It's a somewhat-modified ladies roundhand/Spencerian. I haven't had chance to practice it in a while, so it's gone downhill. I guess one of my new year resolutions could be to practice more.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm going to ask a pretty dumb question but I like pens. My Dad used to buy expensive pens that I would then steal. I ran into some issues with the fountain pens leaking into my pockets. Now, I always carry a pen with me in my pants pocket and am interested in changing out for a fountain pen but I'm afraid of ruining my pants, popping the cap off, or just generally breaking the pen. Are there any shorter fountain pens? Currently I use the because it is super small but expands into a larger size when writing. I assume there is nothing similar with a fountain pen, but something a bit smaller than a normal size that won't ruin my pants?

Thanks for any input

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Tooter posted:

I'm going to ask a pretty dumb question but I like pens. My Dad used to buy expensive pens that I would then steal. I ran into some issues with the fountain pens leaking into my pockets. Now, I always carry a pen with me in my pants pocket and am interested in changing out for a fountain pen but I'm afraid of ruining my pants, popping the cap off, or just generally breaking the pen. Are there any shorter fountain pens? Currently I use the because it is super small but expands into a larger size when writing. I assume there is nothing similar with a fountain pen, but something a bit smaller than a normal size that won't ruin my pants?

Thanks for any input

How about a TWSBI Mini? It's smaller, will fit in your pocket, and has a screw on top. I love mine and use it (and a pilot metro at work everyday).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

powderific posted:

Looking for some new ink to put in my Lamy 2000 with EF nib. The noodler and private reserve inks I've used write too wet from the Lamy so I'm trying to find a different manufacturer. I have some Waterman blue that writes well, but it's not a very pretty color. A dusty purple would be nice, or maybe some interesting shade of green.

J. Herbin's inks generally run dry for me; and Poussiere de Lune is one of my favorites:

Thanks to the rubbish lighting, the further right on that image you get, the closer you are to what it usually looks like for me.

Solkanar512 posted:

Look what came in the mail yesterday! :D

I got this in fine, and I just love the line variation with the gold nib!

Also, I noticed that the pen is still well balanced when the cap is posted, will that ruin the body at all? Anything else I should know about owning this pen?

I usually post my pelikan, and the only wear on the body from the cap is over the section from screwing/unscrewing it. Posting hasn't done the pen any harm.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

wodan22 posted:

How about a TWSBI Mini? It's smaller, will fit in your pocket, and has a screw on top. I love mine and use it (and a pilot metro at work everyday).

Ooh, those look nice. I will look into them. Thanks a ton! Now to work on my penmanship.

Ghoulius
Oct 24, 2010

Audax posted:

At the most, the pens I use HoD in see a little nib creep. I haven't used it in my Metro, but mine's always filled with PR Black Magic Blue and it definitely has some minor leaking problems.

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
Okay, so I have had an eventful week. Moved last weekend, no computer yet, and did not get my pen until Monday. Now that I have settled in all I have to say is... drat; why did I not know sooner? This pen is amazing, a life changing experience, I would choose this pen over my firstborn if I had to. The elegant rich design and color are exquisite, the SEF nib is just my style and the CON-70 converter suits my work style well.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Tooter posted:

Thanks for any input

Another small pen that might suit your tastes is the Kaweco Sport. It's really small when closed, made of sturdy plastic, and the cap screws on so there's no chance of it popping off in your pocket. It can also be converted to an eyedropper filler if you write a lot or don't want to refill it often.

Audax posted:

I use HoD in a metro and I've never had a problem. I will however, say that it is creepy as hell and your nib will always be half black. this is a problem with all the Noodler's inks I've used, so I think it's just his formula. :shrug:

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Tooter posted:

Thanks for any input

Ohto Tasche. It takes international cartridges. Mine was quite nice but apparently the nibs can be hit or miss.

Just got myself a new pen: the waterman carene. Been eyeing it for a long time, but finally got up off my rear end to get it. A red carene with a fine nib. For the record, waterman makes the smoothest nibs: nothing else I've owned comes close. Right now I've got some sailor nano-black in it and it seems to work pretty well.

From top down that's the platinum preppy, the waterman carene, Namiki falcon (the resin one), montblanc 145 Chopin, pilot vanishing point decimo and a faber castell emotion. I've also a lamy safari in charcoal somewhere in the bottom of one of my bags, but not going to dig it up for this group shot.

I badly need a case for these things: they're just sitting out collecting dust.

Anyways, back to the waterman: it's the best pen out of the bunch bar none. Just glides along the page with zero effort, and it looks amazing to boot.

This is to other pilot/Namiki falcon owners: do you all find that the nib is dry sometimes? I bought mine at fouler pens and it writes amazing when the converter is full, but even once it's gone down to half the pen starts skipping like crazy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the ink suggestions folks. I'm going to put together a sample order on Goulet to see what works best for me.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:sigh:

If you've ever asked me for recommendations on pen repairs or nibmeisters, I may have recommended Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens. I probably also warned you that their stated turnaround is about 16 weeks/4 months, and to be patient.

I'm afraid I gotta change my tune. I just did some calculations, and Ron Zorn has had some of my pens for fourteen months now, and I've had to badger them to receive a mere 5 status updates in that time period.

I just want my Mabie Todds fixed and returned :(

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That's far too long, not even Mottishaw with his insane workload takes longer than six months.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, I know. The longest repair before this was 9 months but it was a niche task and the repairer was very clear at the outset about his 9-month turnaround.

Meanwhile, my Mabie Todds were "third in the queue" at Main Street Pens 7 months ago.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:sigh:

If you've ever asked me for recommendations on pen repairs or nibmeisters, I may have recommended Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens. I probably also warned you that their stated turnaround is about 16 weeks/4 months, and to be patient.

I'm afraid I gotta change my tune. I just did some calculations, and Ron Zorn has had some of my pens for fourteen months now, and I've had to badger them to receive a mere 5 status updates in that time period.

I just want my Mabie Todds fixed and returned :(

Yeah, I'm slightly past the year mark with the Southern Scribe and would really just like my poo poo back.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Yeah, I'm slightly past the year mark with the Southern Scribe and would really just like my poo poo back.

Heh, that's the repairer who did my 9-month repair.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there any way to deal with ink that dries on the nib far too quickly? I got a sample of Noodler's Liberty's Elysium from Goulet last week and I've been using it in my EF Lamy 2000 at work. At work, I keep the cap off all day long and it's started to cake on the nib causing skipping and false starts. I really like the color, but like all the Noodler's inks I've tried, it's incredibly finicky. Is there anything I can do? For the time being, I've switched back to my standby: Rohrer and Klingner Konigsblau. The R+K is always well behaved.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Welcome to the finicky land of Noodler's inks! :v:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I actually watered down my noodlers rachmanioff for similar reasons, did I do something horrible on accident? :v:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Is there any way to deal with ink that dries on the nib far too quickly? I got a sample of Noodler's Liberty's Elysium from Goulet last week and I've been using it in my EF Lamy 2000 at work. At work, I keep the cap off all day long and it's started to cake on the nib causing skipping and false starts. I really like the color, but like all the Noodler's inks I've tried, it's incredibly finicky. Is there anything I can do? For the time being, I've switched back to my standby: Rohrer and Klingner Konigsblau. The R+K is always well behaved.

Yeah, cap the pen when you're not using it. Only takes a couple of seconds to uncap it when you need to write.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know of any ink brands or types that are less likely to bleed through pages? I'm normally using a Lamy Safari with an F nib, if that matters.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

duckfarts posted:

Anybody know of any ink brands or types that are less likely to bleed through pages? I'm normally using a Lamy Safari with an F nib, if that matters.

If you dilute Noodler's X-feather, it should do the trick.

In other news, the shower head is hopelessly clogged. Website I read suggested an overnight soak in vinegar, then hitting the thing with silicon grease before screwing the whole works back together. I already had some, because I'd bought a little pot of the stuff from Goulet for something or other.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been using a fountain pen off and on for the past couple years, though I started using it seriously last semester for writing all my notes.

I don't know what kind of pen I have, partly because it was a gift. It has a "Franklin Covey" mark on it, which as far as I can tell is a financial company that sometimes sells accessories, such as fountain pens.

I've been using Monteverde black ink cartridges, but I do have a converter. Between the ink and the pen, I occasionally have ink flow problems, even when the cartridge is full. How much would switching to (non-cartridge) ink help? I like the sound of Heart of Darkness (bulletproof! very dark!) or possibly Noodler's Fast-drying Black, since I'm left handed.

I guess I'm looking for advice on pens and ink. I like the look (and price) of the Pilot Metropolitan, but my current pen is working well enough...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I really like Noodler's X-feather, it and Baystate blue are my two favorites. Sadly I only dare use BSB in a select few pens. X-feather works in everything though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

duckfarts posted:

Hi there! I asked this question a while back, and I did some research, which led me to purchase Waterman Black ink cartridges from my local Staples store (in the U.S.) based on the reviews I saw online.

Waterman black ink seems to work very well on most types of printer and loose leaf papers. It even does pretty well on the tissue paper that I usually make notebooks from. It has less showthrough on the other side of the paper than a Pilot G2 gel pen (which is pretty impressive to me since they're different types of pens). If the Waterman ink bleeds through a certain paper, then that paper isn't safe for anything but pencils and ballpoints (I have one of those spirals...).

I've also had good success with Diamine Ancient Copper, but it miiiiiight bleed through some papers (there's only one spiral notebook I have where dots of ink on the ends of letters poke through so I feel it's good to mention). Does not bleed through my collection of cheap Wal-Mart loose leaf paper though.

But I think Waterman black ink would be good. It's an ink that you can expect great preformance in a work space where you don't always get a choice of what papers you write on. Very bleed resistant which is amazing for a liquid ink.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 7, 2014

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Solumin posted:

I've been using a fountain pen off and on for the past couple years, though I started using it seriously last semester for writing all my notes.

I don't know what kind of pen I have, partly because it was a gift. It has a "Franklin Covey" mark on it, which as far as I can tell is a financial company that sometimes sells accessories, such as fountain pens.

I've been using Monteverde black ink cartridges, but I do have a converter. Between the ink and the pen, I occasionally have ink flow problems, even when the cartridge is full. How much would switching to (non-cartridge) ink help? I like the sound of Heart of Darkness (bulletproof! very dark!) or possibly Noodler's Fast-drying Black, since I'm left handed.

I guess I'm looking for advice on pens and ink. I like the look (and price) of the Pilot Metropolitan, but my current pen is working well enough...

If your Franklin Covey pen is black with silver accents and has a medium nib (a.k.a. the Freemont), it's the least expensive, non-disposable fountain pen Staples carries in store. I own one (it was my second pen). Staples overprices it by at least $20, but it's a nice pen for the price.

The Metropolitan blows it away, however. It's much better weighted and the nib is smoother. It's also cheaper.

I hardly ever use black inks, but I've been pleased with my bottle of basic Pelikan black ink when I do need it. I tend to prefer blues for everyday use. My primary metropolitan has 54th Mass. in it right now and I love it. If you're at all OCD about your nib being spotless at all times, though, it's not for you.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Yeah, cap the pen when you're not using it. Only takes a couple of seconds to uncap it when you need to write.

That's what I ended up doing all day today. I really need to have the pen uncapped for the way I work and how often I move around. I gave the Lamy a rest and brought my Noodler's Konrad inked up with Noodler's Henry Hudson blue. I really like Henry Hudson Blue, but it exhibits the same drying on the nib that Liberty's Elysium does. Sadly, so does 54th Mass. I think I'm going to have to ditch the Noodler's ink, which is a shame because I really like the Henry Hudson Blue.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Magnus Praeda posted:

If your Franklin Covey pen is black with silver accents and has a medium nib (a.k.a. the Freemont), it's the least expensive, non-disposable fountain pen Staples carries in store. I own one (it was my second pen). Staples overprices it by at least $20, but it's a nice pen for the price.

The Metropolitan blows it away, however. It's much better weighted and the nib is smoother. It's also cheaper.

I hardly ever use black inks, but I've been pleased with my bottle of basic Pelikan black ink when I do need it. I tend to prefer blues for everyday use. My primary metropolitan has 54th Mass. in it right now and I love it. If you're at all OCD about your nib being spotless at all times, though, it's not for you.

Black body, silver grip and... silver whatever the cap on the other end of the body is. Your description in regards to price sounds about right.

I prefer black over blue, at least for everyday use. The 54th Mass looks nice though! I'll probably start with a sampler from Goulet and pick up HoD, 54th Mass., and maybe a couple other colors.

I'm getting over trying to always keep the nib spotless. I'll take ink there as a sign of work getting done!

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?

Minenfeld! posted:

That's what I ended up doing all day today. I really need to have the pen uncapped for the way I work and how often I move around. I gave the Lamy a rest and brought my Noodler's Konrad inked up with Noodler's Henry Hudson blue. I really like Henry Hudson Blue, but it exhibits the same drying on the nib that Liberty's Elysium does. Sadly, so does 54th Mass. I think I'm going to have to ditch the Noodler's ink, which is a shame because I really like the Henry Hudson Blue.

You could indulge in a Pilot Vanishing point, everybody likes clickey pens, and a clickey fountain pen is even better.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Do different inks work better than others? My Waterman Carene that I have had problems with ink flow when using Private Reserve Ink is now writing crazy smooth and starting lines reliably now that I reloaded it with Iroshizuku. The only other possibility is that the pen had not been used for like 20 years and it took some time to get used to writing smoothly again.

I also noticed a slight improvement with my Lami Safari but nothing quite as notable. Mainly lines starting 100% of the time vs. every so often one not starting immediately.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iroshizuku inks have a reputation (well-deserved, in my opinion) for flowing well and being very easy to live with.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Iroshizuku inks have a reputation (well-deserved, in my opinion) for flowing well and being very easy to live with.

How are they regarding permanence? You can get them for $10-12/bottle plus shipping through Ratuken and I'm thinking about ordering a few.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Iroshizuku inks are seriously nice. Well behaved and come in some fantastic colours. I love Murasaki-Shikibu purely because it looks awesome in a demonstrator. They'd probably be my go-to ink if they weren't so expensive. Instead I'll stick with my J. Herbin.

Solkanar512 posted:

How are they regarding permanence? You can get them for $10-12/bottle plus shipping through Ratuken and I'm thinking about ordering a few.

I can only speak for Murasaki and Ku-Jaku but they really aren't water resistant at all. Murasaki also fades really badly with sunlight.
That's not really a problem for me as I don't use them in any situation where water-resistance would be a plus, but there are better inks out there if you want permanence.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It seems like the majority of my writing lately has been Chinese, and I could really use something with as fine a nib as possible so I don't have to choose between gigantic writing or feathering into illegibility.

What're some good choices for that? I've got an old Esterbrook with a 9550 nib that I received for Christmas and am in the process of cleaning out, but I've also toyed with swapping out my 54th Mass in my Preppy for something that actually flows and behaves well or getting one of those Jinhao X750s with an EF Goulet nib. Is there another EF option that I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
The pilot penmanship is an EF and it is tiny. I can do a sample tonight after the kid is in bed.