Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Slasherfan posted:

I don't get the love You're Next gets. I thought it was a routine by the books home invasion movie ruined by awful acting, awful camera work and stupid humour. I wished it had been played more straight as the comedy wasn't funny and ruined the tone.
The best thing about it is easily Erin, a pretty kick rear end heroine and the only person in the entire movie who could act. People keep saying it's very violent but I can't remember any of the violent moments.
The camera jerking around was very distracting and made the movie look really cheap. It wasn't throughout the entire film but when it happened it was noticeable.
I don't understand how this is the one critics praised. I've seen a lot of these kinds of movies and the acting in You're Next is worse then you normally find.
I don't hate it, I just find it very average, something that probably could have been better.

Agreed, after I'd finished watching it I found myself incapable of saying anything particularly positive or negative about it. I think people were saying earlier in the thread that it's not 'the movie you think it is' except it was exactly what I thought it was right down to the twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What do people have against Vampire in Brooklyn?

Eddie's accent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slasherfan posted:

I don't get the love You're Next gets. I thought it was a routine by the books home invasion movie ruined by awful acting, awful camera work and stupid humour. I wished it had been played more straight as the comedy wasn't funny and ruined the tone.
The best thing about it is easily Erin, a pretty kick rear end heroine and the only person in the entire movie who could act. People keep saying it's very violent but I can't remember any of the violent moments.
The camera jerking around was very distracting and made the movie look really cheap. It wasn't throughout the entire film but when it happened it was noticeable.
I don't understand how this is the one critics praised. I've seen a lot of these kinds of movies and the acting in You're Next is worse then you normally find.
I don't hate it, I just find it very average, something that probably could have been better.

The thread's still around, the same thing was brought up there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

I finally got to see the 2013 Carrie. I have to say I was impressed. Julianne Moore was incredible. I was really creeped out by her performance. I don't remember a lot of the original but I think this was just better in some way and lacking in others. I'd recommend it for people to check out for a good watch as long as you don't expect the original movie or the book.

Every time this movie comes up I have to express my love for it. I seriously love this movie.

Anyone have similar stuff to WNUF Halloween Special?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kvlt! posted:

Every time this movie comes up I have to express my love for it. I seriously love this movie.

Anyone have similar stuff to WNUF Halloween Special?

Ghostwatch did the same thing as WNUF, but was much much better at it. Especially because it was original broadcasted as being real.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Maybe it's just a personal thing, but a home invasion movie where one of the victims is unexpectedly a tactical survival expert is begging not to be played straight. I mean really, what would make that any different than run-of-the-mill home invasion movies where victims survive for an unbelievably long time / occasionally pull one over on the villains, regardless of their background?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Casting Eddie Murphy in the one serious role in a fairly comedy-heavy film was an act of genius and I won't hear otherwise.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

saulwright posted:

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but a home invasion movie where one of the victims is unexpectedly a tactical survival expert is begging not to be played straight. I mean really, what would make that any different than run-of-the-mill home invasion movies where victims survive for an unbelievably long time / occasionally pull one over on the villains, regardless of their background?

Except it wasn't played entirely straight, in fact when Erin really starts going to town and wrecking the bad guys' poo poo it practically turns into a dark Home Alone-style slapstick comedy. You didn't find the reactions from the other main characters in on the scheme to be funny? Particularly Erin's husband at the end when he comes back and he's just completely floored by how Erin handled herself. The ending "stinger" was pretty funny, too.

I'm not saying it was "hilarious", but it was at least humorous, intentionally so.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'll go right ahead and say that was hilarious. He was kind of right, for whatever the faults of his plan, Erin *murdering everyone* probably wasn't in the cards.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not sure how you can watch you're next and say its played straight. It's a really obvious horror parody/horror comedy (it was also really funny and def the best horror movie I saw in theaters last year after the conjuring being a major disappointment)

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

quote:

WNUF Halloween Special

I'd seen this pop up in the thread a couple times but had no idea what it was. I googled it and have an idea, I think. Definitely going to check it out, thanks for mentioning it. My Halloween obsession is year-round, and I love Trick 'R Treat, Creepshow, Night of the Demons (80s original), Satan's Little Helper, etc. etc.
Can't wait to see this one.

Who else is loving stoked for Trick 'R Treat 2?!

whatshesaid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 5, 2014

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What do people have against Vampire in Brooklyn?

Too dark to be funny, too dumb to be scary. Tries to be an updated Blacula and fails miserably, which is a shame because it had a great supporting cast.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Starscream posted:

Too dark to be funny, too dumb to be scary. Tries to be an updated Blacula and fails miserably, which is a shame because it had a great supporting cast.

Starscream, you took the words right out of my mouth. I don't think a better description of how bad that movie was has ever been stated. I mean don't get me wrong fans of the film but the few good scenes it has don't compare to the rest of the film.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

whatshesaid posted:

I'd seen this pop up in the thread a couple times but had no idea what it was. I googled it and have an idea, I think. Definitely going to check it out, thanks for mentioning it. My Halloween obsession is year-round, and I love Trick 'R Treat, Creepshow, Night of the Demons (80s original), Satan's Little Helper, etc. etc.
Can't wait to see this one.

Who else is loving stoked for Trick 'R Treat 2?!

Don't be an idiot and get Trick or Treat, instead. Ruined my Halloween.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The only right answers to the worst Wes Craven films are either Chiller or The Hills Have Eyes 2, not even something like Vampire in Brooklyn is as bad as either of those.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
I guess something was lost in translation there, because I know You're Next was not played straight, and it would have been complete crap any other way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What about Cursed? That was a Wes Craven movie with Kitty from Arrested Development as a werewolf who flips Christina Ricci off for calling her fat or something, isn't it? I remember that one being...very much not good.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I'll take a marathon of Cursed and Vampire in Brooklyn for 24 straight hours before I'd ever watch THHE2 or Chiller again.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

You're Next was predictable and all the criticism is accurate. I enjoyed it very much.

Other small reviews
Christmas Evil: Not good but it's worth your time if you can watch with other people.
Jack Frost: It's ok. A lot of effort went into this for a straight to video movie about a killer snowman. The music is great.
Body Bags: Not as good as Creepshow.

I can't wait for Trick 'r Treat 2's release in 2019!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some reccomendations for horror movies that are more psychological and deal with depression and/or suicide? Think along the lines of maybe Lovely Molly.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
Has anyone had a chance to watch Hell? It is on Netflix. On a whim I decided to sit with it, not expecting much....at all...and was actually pleasantly surprised by it. While it is not the best movie of the decade, it does pull some interesting survival/post-apocalyptic horror(?) elements together. It was better than it should have been, actually, meaning I didn't hate myself for wasting 1.5 hours on it. Kind of like The Road but in German and a bit more focus on the sweet, sweet delicacy of cannibalism for survival, without being too over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE4iomYHF7c

eckoelab fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 5, 2014

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Kvlt! posted:

What are some reccomendations for horror movies that are more psychological and deal with depression and/or suicide? Think along the lines of maybe Lovely Molly.

The Changeling

I've never seen Society is it on the same level as other Yuzna films?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't seen much of Yuzna's other work as a director, but Society is pretty good. Watch it for the last 15 minutes. That's not to say the rest of it isn't good, but those last 15 minutes are something else.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Holy poo poo You're Next was one of the most fun horror movies I've seen in a while. I wish I'd seen it in theaters, I remember hearing about it when it came out, I should have listened to everyone then.

Also I thought Tariq the "underground documentary filmmaker" looked familiar - it's Ti West. Pretty funny stuff.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
We should all just be watching Maniac Cop 2 together. The new blu ray is swank.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Holy poo poo You're Next was one of the most fun horror movies I've seen in a while. I wish I'd seen it in theaters, I remember hearing about it when it came out, I should have listened to everyone then.

Also I thought Tariq the "underground documentary filmmaker" looked familiar - it's Ti West. Pretty funny stuff.

Yeah it's really good. I think this forum over rates it by a whole hell of a lot but it's still in the top five of horror flicks that I saw this year.

The Ti West stuff made me laugh pretty hard.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

schwenz posted:

The Changeling

I've never seen Society is it on the same level as other Yuzna films?

Society owns, it's deliciously 80's and the last 10-15 minutes are something else, I discovered back during the death of VHS when I would buy peoples whole collections off eBay for peanuts, I still own that tape I'm hoping for a good Blu-ray release one day..

Name-drop Fellini
Nov 21, 2001

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is great. It continues the trend of odd numbered Paranormal Activity Movies being good in a big way. There is an ocean of subtext to swim through. All the ritual "getting to know the characters while they goof around" scenes are loaded with weighted talking points like healthcare, immigration, and the negativity of anonymous online comments. This movie is like Spring Breakers in that there are a wide variety of themes to chew on (it's not as good as Spring Breakers but has the same appeal).

In a genre full of homoerotic films, this might be the gayest horror movie since A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2. A huge portion of the film focuses on Hector being closeted. First he draws the dick on Jesse's face as he sleeps. Hector has no idea what to do with the girl after they leave the party. During the climactic scene, Hector goes into a closet for a while and momentarily escapes trouble as the antagonists lose interest. Then when Jesse spots Hector, Hector reluctantly goes into another closet, but this one "takes people to dark places" and ultimately causes his demise.

There aren't as many of the franchise's trademark haunted house gags but that works in its favor after Paranormal Activity 4 was so stale. The suspense scenes all work well and this series' experience in stretching things to the outermost limits of dramatic tension is very effective in the Simon game scenes. The Mexican gangster cartoonishly blasting witches with a shotgun might be the most fun thing out of all 5 movies. The ending ties together the previous movies in an inventive way and overall the whole movie is such a great breath of fresh air for a franchise that was starting to need one badly.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just saw You're Next last night, and I liked it a lot. I'm not sure it deserves the huge level of praise it has been getting, but I thought it was well done and very entertaining. It was also really funny - I thought the scene where they are first attacked and Drake and Crispian continue the petty bickering even after Drake is hit by a crossbow bolt and people around them are dying was hilarious.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Name-drop Fellini posted:

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is great. It continues the trend of odd numbered Paranormal Activity Movies being good in a big way. There is an ocean of subtext to swim through. All the ritual "getting to know the characters while they goof around" scenes are loaded with weighted talking points like healthcare, immigration, and the negativity of anonymous online comments. This movie is like Spring Breakers in that there are a wide variety of themes to chew on (it's not as good as Spring Breakers but has the same appeal).

In a genre full of homoerotic films, this might be the gayest horror movie since A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2. A huge portion of the film focuses on Hector being closeted. First he draws the dick on Jesse's face as he sleeps. Hector has no idea what to do with the girl after they leave the party. During the climactic scene, Hector goes into a closet for a while and momentarily escapes trouble as the antagonists lose interest. Then when Jesse spots Hector, Hector reluctantly goes into another closet, but this one "takes people to dark places" and ultimately causes his demise.

There aren't as many of the franchise's trademark haunted house gags but that works in its favor after Paranormal Activity 4 was so stale. The suspense scenes all work well and this series' experience in stretching things to the outermost limits of dramatic tension is very effective in the Simon game scenes. The Mexican gangster cartoonishly blasting witches with a shotgun might be the most fun thing out of all 5 movies. The ending ties together the previous movies in an inventive way and overall the whole movie is such a great breath of fresh air for a franchise that was starting to need one badly.

I like how they were able to progress the overall mythos of the series without sacrificing the story at hand.

Quick question even though I am almost positive I know the answer the girl at the very end who peaks into view to turn off the camera is the daughter from PA4, right? So that means the timeline of this is after 4, no weird timeline things as well?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
PA: Chronicles of Dark Mijo might have too much circumstance and incident after the halfway mark to the point I can see someone checking out for the third act, but it's pretty good. It's square in the middle of the 5 other movies. I do like the ending trick it pulls (which is not done nearly as well as Insidious Chapter Two).

TUS posted:

Quick question even though I am almost positive I know the answer the girl at the very end who peaks into view to turn off the camera is the daughter from PA4, right? So that means the timeline of this is after 4, no weird timeline things as well?

Why would it not be Katie?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

eckoelab posted:

Has anyone had a chance to watch Hell? It is on Netflix. On a whim I decided to sit with it, not expecting much....at all...and was actually pleasantly surprised by it. While it is not the best movie of the decade, it does pull some interesting survival/post-apocalyptic horror(?) elements together. It was better than it should have been, actually, meaning I didn't hate myself for wasting 1.5 hours on it. Kind of like The Road but in German and a bit more focus on the sweet, sweet delicacy of cannibalism for survival, without being too over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE4iomYHF7c

Been meaning to and your description pushed me over the edge. Will check it out tonight.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I watched Insidious 2 a few nights ago, and I can't remember if it was discussed here, but did anyone laugh at the obviously fake beard?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I watched Insidious 2 a few nights ago, and I can't remember if it was discussed here, but did anyone laugh at the obviously fake beard?

I laughed at so much more in that movie than the fake beard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Twin Cinema posted:

There are so many good stupid little things in that movie.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

:words: about the new paranormal activity

:toot: Excited for this! I love me some found footage.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Speaking of Craven, I watched The People Under the Stairs this morning for the first time. It was exactly what I was expecting and not very good, but I love the early 90s so I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing the Pastor from Silver Bullet again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Violator posted:

Speaking of Craven, I watched The People Under the Stairs this morning for the first time. It was exactly what I was expecting and not very good, but I love the early 90s so I enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing the Pastor from Silver Bullet again.

I thought it was great to see Big Ed and Nadine Hurley back together again!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is great. It continues the trend of odd numbered Paranormal Activity Movies being good in a big way.

Wait, since this is an unnumbered side story, does that mean PA5 is going to be good or suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why would it not be Katie?

I thought it was Alex, but with the light on the camera, it could have made the hair brighter then it actually was.