Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Anne Whateley posted:

I wouldn't read it in the hospital waiting room unless you're there for something pretty routine and not worrying. I read it mostly when commuting, and then the last ~third laying around on a Sunday. It's hard to put down, but commuting worked well because it kind of forces those breaks. I'm probably oversensitive but it's pretty unrelievedly brutal. Good though! Just have a chaser -- her other stuff isn't as depressing, and some is in the same universe. To Say Nothing of the Dog is very light, and fun if you like Three Men in a Boat, Wodehouse, etc.

I love Connie Willis and Doomsday Book is my favourite of hers, but oh it just destroys you. Best if you have someone around who can give you a hug while reading it.

Embassytown is a brilliant Mieville, especially if you have any interest in language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I read the Miéville stuff in chronological order which seems the way to go for me. I'd've been at a loss without the bits in Perdido Street Station where he explains about New Crobuzon's nasty government, and who all of the weird races are, and Remaking and Weavers and so on, because it doesn't get explained again in The Scar or Iron Council. Though other people seem to think that it bogs the book down too much, so I dunno, whatever.

I think The Scar's probably the best of the Bas-Lag stuff, though I personally like Perdido Street Station more. Iron Council is very worthy and full of good ideas, but it's really, really disjointed and sort of all over the place, in my opinion. The Scar's very focused.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Shithouse Dave posted:

Did you name her after http://youtu.be/r0c55lXRAeg ?

(Yes I skipped like 300 posts I'll get to y'all in a bit)
not consciously but i totally, totally did :3:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Love your new av! Your choice or was it a gift?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
my choice, i was so loving sick of people making brony jokes. plus female trouble is a rad movie. thanks poopycat!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best thing about China Mièville is that his actual name is China. Also he's a communist hunk who collects D&D monster manuals.

The scar is really rad.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
he's legit really loving hot

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
speaking of, here are some naked basque firemen protesting against budget cuts: http://www.out.com/entertainment/popnography/2012/07/17/naked-spanish-basque-firemen-protest

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
I want to act like I'm joking when I suggest Order of the Stick as a well-written fantasy story with good female (and gender-ambiguous) characters, but...

I'll also throw in Tamora Pierce even though she's YA and more or less specifically aimed at young girls. The Immortals Quartet was my favorite when I was thirteen. :3:

edit: Ugh, it's snowing so hard here, I just looked outside and the birds beneath the feeder were practically up to their necks in snowdrifts. Stop that! I have work tomorrow! My car's tires skid out on wet surfaces!

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 5, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
goin

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best thing about China Mièville is that his actual name is China. Also he's a communist hunk who collects D&D monster manuals.

The scar is really rad.

i am about as jealous as it is possible to be of him, bc i know im not gonna be that cool ever and it sucks

in other news im headed down to auburn alabama today, see you later ladythread if auburn loses the football i may actually die in the ensuing riot

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Everything here is a solid sheet of ice, and it's not going away anytime soon. I really don't have the shoes for this. On the plus side, if I'm mostly housebound it means I'm spending less money, which I guess is a good thing.

I hope you don't get killed by sports fans, VanSandman.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo posted:

speaking of, here are some naked basque firemen protesting against budget cuts: http://www.out.com/entertainment/popnography/2012/07/17/naked-spanish-basque-firemen-protest

"Yes! Yes!" <- m bison

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Fruity Gordo posted:

thank you

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Fruity Gordo posted:

he's legit really loving hot

gently caress he has a girlfriend

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Fruity Gordo posted:

finally some buttes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Putty posted:

finally some buttes

Are you the rereg of a glistening hodor?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
fireman butte, the greatest lookout

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are you the rereg of a glistening hodor?

OMG RUDE

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
putty has been asked many times whether he is actully hodor and has never denied it once...mighty suspicious that

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
a glistening hodor seems way too stupid to have established a parachute 6 months before gloriously impaling himself on the mast of gbs 2.1

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I like cheetahs a lot
At the San Diego Zoo a lot of the cheetahs have dog buddies to keep them calm and hang out with :3:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i registered to read anime visual novel let's plays

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Murder all safe spaces

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Livingtrope posted:

putty has been asked many times whether he is actully hodor and has never denied it once...mighty suspicious that

It seems ... Problematic

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

taco show posted:

At the San Diego Zoo a lot of the cheetahs have dog buddies to keep them calm and hang out with :3:

Omg I know

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There is ice everywhere

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am trying to quit smoking

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have woken up several times in a panic because I am out of cigarettes

i don't smoke, never have so this is odd

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I like smoking too much to consider quitting at this time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Very nice. It's rare to see a naked protest where the participants are all actually hot. :v:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

same, it rules

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Crow Jane posted:

If you get rid of the cigarette-lighting crow then you're halfway there.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think if I didn't smoke my hands would fidget so much they'd actually fall off somehow

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

Smoking is bad, mm'kay.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

I am trying to quit smoking

in terms of my experiences working with people who are quitting all kinds of drugs, the thing to do is to stop taking the next one, not planning on never doing it again bc that's way too much pressure. quitting is the goal, the practice is not taking the immediately next dose. so instead of being like 'no more cigarettes' when you want one you say no to the next cigarette that you immediately want, and keep trying to stay on that path saying no to the next cigarette that pops up, and no to the next one after that. if you smoke one fag it's not that bad because you can awlays not smoke the next fag so even if you fall off the wagon you haven't failed because your goal is always to say no to the next one. it's okay to fail occasionally bc drugs are bastards

when i get it through my head that i need to quit smoking that's how i'm going to approach it, because incremental thinking really has helped a lot of clients i've known

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 5, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It can be pretty sexy, though

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Fruity Gordo posted:

in terms of my experiences working with people who are quitting all kinds of drugs, the thing to do is to stop taking the next one, not planning on never doing it again bc that's way too much pressure. so instead of being like 'no more cigarettes' you say no to the next cigarette, and keep trying to stay on that path saying no to the next cigarette that pops up, and no to the next on after that

when i get it through my head that i need to quit smoking that's how i'm going to approach it, because incremental thinking really has helped a lot of clients i've known

Yeah, I'm taking it a day or hour at a time. It's for health reasons sadly, I like to smoke and fidget with my hands

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

It can be pretty sexy, though

No.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I got something you can fidget with

*points to Rubik's cube*

Adbot