Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Pretty much anything by Simgoober and Xannepan (find them on Sc4devotion) and all of Paeng's stuff (on simpeg) are absolutely fantastic. It really depends on what kind of a city you want as there is some fantastic UK stuff out there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just reinstalled the game and downloaded the latest Old Fashioned. Feeling super overwhelmed because there is so much stuff that I have no clue how to start building my region.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Working on a new region during the Christmas break.

The downtown of the region.

Residential district.

Suburbia.

And the start of the farms.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
That looks really nice.

benzine posted:

Suburbia.

And the start of the farms.

How did you get these to work? I can never have large swaths of residential areas without them getting abandoned completely from commute distance being "too long."

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Brotato Broth posted:

That looks really nice.

How did you get these to work? I can never have large swaths of residential areas without them getting abandoned completely from commute distance being "too long."

NAM is not optional to play this game.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Brotato Broth posted:

NAM mostly. But honestly that city is not big so there is not a big problem.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

NAM is not optional to play this game.

I do have NAM installed and I still need to be careful about my residential zone layouts. I'll have to recheck my install.

benzine posted:

NAM mostly. But honestly that city is not big so there is not a big problem.

Are those all 2x1 zones? Whenever I try to create a "rural" town with anything larger it invariably turns into some weird ultra-rich not-plantation countryside. :v:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Brotato Broth posted:

Are those all 2x1 zones? Whenever I try to create a "rural" town with anything larger it invariably turns into some weird ultra-rich not-plantation countryside. :v:

1x1, with a space in the middle to plant trees. The rich always expand if you let them have the space.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
That's insane.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good lord. How many city tiles are on that?

I really want to see the King of Sperglords do an incredible fantasy Japan on that map.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So that is the Japanese island chain then? I don't recognize it well enough :eng99:

If it's going to be fantasy Japan, it'd better have a Neo-Tokyo. No future fantasy Japan is complete without Neo-Tokyo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Christ Almighty :stare:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I really want to see the King of Sperglords do an incredible fantasy Japan on that map.

Can't find much information about it. There's a Japanese site about it that you might find more useful than I did.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I wonder how many city tiles you would need to make a 1:1 replica of Japan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was going to make a great big Japanlike region next time I play this game but now I don't have to anymore. Asian cities are easily my favorite in this game, but I think I should try to go for a different flavor some time, maybe Polynesian or South American or Middle Eastern something, can probably be done with the right plugins.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think we could fill that beast in about two months* if we combined the collective goonery of posters in this thread.

*Assuming none of us have jobs, school or the need to eat/drink/poo poo/sleep.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lots of luck finding two goons with the same mods and custom buildings to work with, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lots of luck finding two goons with the same mods and custom buildings to work with, though.

Hmm, coming to think of it, it'd totally be possible to make a mod manager that has profiles which launch with redirected mods folders synced at dropbox public shares as profiles.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
If only SimCity just took regions and everything of this size and let us simulate them with multiple players at once.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

CanOfMDAmp posted:

If only SimCity just took regions and everything of this size and let us simulate them with multiple players at once.

It is possible.

By the way there is a new version of NAM (32) available.

Info of the update
Download link

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

CanOfMDAmp posted:

We did this a while ago, actually! We used a program called SugarSync to synchronize a shared region folder.

My city ended up with a population of 1,500,000, mostly poor people crammed into decrepit hi-rise condos. The population regularly fluctuated down to 900,000, probably since lots of people couldn't find jobs because the traffic volume out of the city exceeded the game's hard-coded limit.

Would be up for doing this again sometime, it was pretty entertaining.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hahahaha, alright, 'fess up. Who's responsible for the Gor reference?

edit: maybe I should have checked the city name in the second screenshot before asking.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 17, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

So that means you're going to do it in your LP? :haw:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KillHour posted:

So that means you're going to do it in your LP? :haw:

I am merely the Prince of Sperg at best. Like a fifth to the throne prince. Have you SEEN the SC4 community? :colbert:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

In the OP there is no mentioning of the SC autosaver and the guy who made it put it on some forum where it has been removed since a few months. Anyone has it and is able to share?

Oh, when there will be another goon region I would like to be in. SC5 or whatever it was called was such a huge disappointment it made my teeth bleed.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 18, 2014

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Keetron posted:

In the OP there is no mentioning of the SC autosaver and the guy who made it put it on some forum where it has been removed since a few months. Anyone has it and is able to share?

Oh, when there will be another goon region I would like to be in. SC5 or whatever it was called was such a huge disappointment it made my teeth bleed.

You can download the SC4 launcher it has an autosave function.

And for a goon region I'm also interested.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Here is an interesting thing, but over the years I collected a massive amount of buildings from these kind of threads and from other sources. I would like to merge a couple of folders I have, such as /Plugins2010, /Plugins, /Plugins_new etc. There are bound to be a ton of duplicates in there and I would like to consolidate them.
As I care most about buildings, the game for me is to get the circumstances right to get an awesome mix of buildings in my line of sight. Grown buildings are the best, I kind of dislike ploppables cluttering up my menu's and all this digging lots and what not are horrible and useless.

So I was wondering, is there some sort of plugin manager, like a file explorer, that allows me to consolidate my plugins because it would be awesome to manage your plugins in a way that does not require 5 to 10 minutes of loading the application and then another 5 to load the map. Organizing by type, information about lot size, building preview, stats, etcetc.

Best would be if you could just dump all the files in a single folder and then sort it out with this tool.
Probably I would need a second thing to sort out duplicates but that is not the hard part. The hard part is what I would like to keep.

Did I mention I was send a couple of DVD's filled with lots after donating some money to some site?

---edit---
I forgot how much the SC4 group hates it's users. The most user friendly piece of software I encountered was the launcher above.
The rest of the developers just hate people.
For undoubling there seems to be this: http://doubles.sourceforge.net/
The rest is all manual it seems.

more edit: That doubles thing is awesome and it means I can lump together all my old folders, remove stuff I really do not like and have a shitload of great buildings! Yay!
btw, the pack I am using out of the OP could use some undoubling itself as there were some texture packs doubles.

even more edit: When gathering all plugins and packs that I collected over the years, I found the Killhour pack. The OP asked for it, it is 1.5 Gb and I will try and find a spot to place it so it can be linked.

even moree edit before bed: Now how about all that crap above did not work and I decided to use totalcommander to move allfiles that match the string *plop* to one folder called PLOPHELL and then use that same search function to copy all that matches *.sc4*, *.dat and *.sav to one single big rear end bulk folder, the dupes sort it out themselves, are we then in what circle of organisational are we? As said, it is time for bed, let's look at the results tomorrow. Hey, at least when I want to remove something I will not have to browse folders all day long.
HAHA! 16687 files, 7,03G! Live my creatioN!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 19, 2014

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011

Keetron posted:

<slow descent into plugin insanity>

...Are you still with us, Keetron? :ohdear:

Please let us know if your plugins folder has become sentient and is on its quest to destroy the universe!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What is the terrain mod included in the Old Fashioned pack? I uninstalled awhile ago to make room on my hard drive and deleted my plugins folder too. Now I'm reinstalling and kinda want to start fresh and hand-pick my own add-ons instead of downloading massive, unwieldy goonpacks.

Starting with the newest version of NAM and working my way up from there.

Edit: actually I may just say "gently caress it" and redownload Old Fashioned. Is the 3.0 version posted in the OP the most up-to-date one?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
The new site design for SC4Devotion is fantastic. It gives you links to every dependancy and if they exist on site you can 1-click download all the ones you dont have. FINALLY.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
First time playing Simcity 4 with any plugins except NAM. I downloaded OldFashioned and it's really great, but one thing I cannot figure out are the seawalls. I like the Marrast ones, but it seems that diagonal pieces and... straight? pieces are somewhat different (ie diagonal pieces have kind of brown texture on the sidewalk, the straight have a regular grey sidewalk). They also seem to not match well when combining diagonal and regular pieces. Am I doing something wrong?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Maltor posted:

...Are you still with us, Keetron? :ohdear:

Please let us know if your plugins folder has become sentient and is on its quest to destroy the universe!

I woke up in the morning and was pleased with the results. Expect your plugin folder to be assimilated soon.

Honestly, I playtested only a little bit on my desktop (it crashed three minutes in) and will move the files to my laptop and probably play a bit over the coming weeks, remove some more stuff that gets in the way and hope it is stable. It is actually a pretty neat collection buildings and mods if you like stuff like civics, transport and so on. I don't like digging lots and so on so will need to find those in the grand directory of everything but I think it will be better then going into the folder jungle that comes after using the installers.

The launcher is not working for me with regards to core use, affinity and autosave but I found the classic autosaver on my desktop as well. Unlimited storage (2x1 Tb spinning drive, 200Gb in SSDs) has it's perks.

machinegunmessiah posted:

First time playing Simcity 4 with any plugins except NAM. I downloaded OldFashioned and it's really great,
Is NAM also in OldFashioned, so can it be you accidentally loaded it twice? This might screw up some modifiers, like the distance sims are willing to walk.

machinegunmessiah
Jul 16, 2012
Nope, did a fresh install.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

quote:

So my question is to anyone who knows what's inside the jumbled mess of Old Fashioned 3.0, are there any folders or .dats that I can just yank out of there and plop into my own that will add a bunch of growable variety at once without lengthening my menus or load times? Barring that, is there some folder or .dat that has a bunch of the common dependencies that I can throw

Not on my laptop so I can't give you specific advice, but - try running a search for the word grow. I pretty much tried to avoid plopables unless they were really cool, so a lot of the buildings have those versions removed. That said old fashioned revolves around a specific theme so if you're willing to do the work I'd recommend DIY.

There's a dependency folder in there somewhere but better yet there's a pack someone made in the OP. Use that one!

quote:

seawalls

Yeah it's a crazy stupid bug with the HD sidewalk replacements I haven't been able to fix. However, in most sets there are 1x2 and 1x3 straight overhang pieces (normally used to go under bridges.) you can overlap these on each other and cover up the botched sections with relative ease.

3.0 is the latest version, but I'm doing an update in a few months with new buildings/NAM. Sorry the pack is such a mess yo!

Terrain mod used is Appalachian plus the same guy's beach/gravel/water, you can find them on sc4devotion.

*PUNCH* fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 23, 2014

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is my tennis court employing almost 14,000 people?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GodlessCommie posted:

Why is my tennis court employing almost 14,000 people?

:stare: It's Wimbledon?

I'd have to assume that the court has got its wires crossed with another building somewhere, or you've got a hold of a cheat building of some sort?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's the gathering place for the local cult.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Coming back to this after years of separation. Can you build a car-free city with the right mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

It's clearly a secret entrance to the government base where they grow weiners on sexy ladies

• Locked thread