Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dehry posted:

:(:respek::( I finished the main game this morning and my final building finished a few minutes ago. I had almost no interest in the game but after playing it I want ten copies. The hard part will be keeping my wallet away from the special edition. I don't need a soundtrack or AR cards and probably won't even use it.

Also, I found a site with all the AR cards, not just the 6 on nintendo.com
http://ar.essh.co/decks/bravely-default

For those curious about what the AR cards do, the six illustrated ones all play a little movie of the character on them (Ringabel's one is the best :allears:). The exception to that being the Airy card, which plays Agnes pleading with the player to aide them. The rest of the cards will make a 3D model of the character in question appear, and the X/Y/A/B buttons will each make them speak and gesture through a different sentence of their voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Am I completely retarded or just doing something wrong? I purchased the level 3 spells (Fira, Cura, etc) and have a level 3 white mage and a level 3 black mage and they still don't list those skills as available. The level 2 abilities are all there and when I look at my magic menu those abilities are listed but I can't access them in a battle. What's the deal?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Eddain posted:

Isn't that pretty much endgame?

Halfway point pretty much it seems. But yeah it's not an early game job.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Am I completely retarded or just doing something wrong? I purchased the level 3 spells (Fira, Cura, etc) and have a level 3 white mage and a level 3 black mage and they still don't list those skills as available. The level 2 abilities are all there and when I look at my magic menu those abilities are listed but I can't access them in a battle. What's the deal?

You need to learn Black/White Magic level 3 which gets available around job 5 or 6.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Atlas Hugged posted:

The spell levels a mage can cast don't correspond one-to-one with the mage job levels, but are granted through job skills. A black mage gets the skill to cast lv. 2 black magic at job level 3, lv. 3 magic at job level 7, etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thanks. In the Demo it's job level 4. I got it just as I came here to check for replies.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there going to be a collectors edition or preorder bonus for this game? I'm debating going to Gamestop and dropping $5 on this, but if there's no extras for a physical copy, I'll just get the digital one. Gotta fill up the 32GB card after all...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Annath posted:

Is there going to be a collectors edition or preorder bonus for this game? I'm debating going to Gamestop and dropping $5 on this, but if there's no extras for a physical copy, I'll just get the digital one. Gotta fill up the 32GB card after all...

The collector's edition is pretty decent. You get a very nice hardcover artbook, a set of AR cards, and a "selections" soundtrack with about 10-12 songs. If you go back through my posts, I took some pictures of the Aussie/EU one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Speaking of music, the game suffers the same problem Radiant Historia did: The music is very nice but there is not enough of it! I think theres a whole 3 dungeon tracks in the game and it starts to get really annoying as you continue to play the game only to hear the same music over and over in all kinds of places.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is the rebuilding the village a feature in the main game? I stand no chance in acquiring street passes :(.

Also I'm a bit turned off by the battle system. I'm not a fan of turn based battles like in this and FF4. FF4 is the only RPG I've ever been able to stomach for a long period of time, in which you gave commands to ever party member and then initiated the turn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

Is the rebuilding the village a feature in the main game? I stand no chance in acquiring street passes :(.

It is indeed, and you don't need streetpasses in the full game. There's an option to sync with your online 3DS friends list once per day, and that'll get you between 3-5 villagers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Speaking of music, the game suffers the same problem Radiant Historia did: The music is very nice but there is not enough of it! I think theres a whole 3 dungeon tracks in the game and it starts to get really annoying as you continue to play the game only to hear the same music over and over in all kinds of places.

Yeah, but just like Radiant Historia, even though there's not a lot of music, it's so good it's hard to get tired of it. Except the dungeon music, which is pretty meh, but I never get tired of any of the battle themes. That Person's Name Is just gets me going every time, I can never get tired of it. Which is good, because it plays a lot. A lot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I... supposed to kill this dragon?

I guess if I rebuild the village I get much better equipment? Because it's basically impossible right now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess if I rebuild the village I get much better equipment? Because it's basically impossible right now.

Yes and yes. It's not hard when you start synergizing some jobs. Ninjitsu is awesome for dodging attacks. Black Mages Damage Dispersal is also good for that. Red Mage's turn the tables will allow you to gain free BP if you dodge. If you armor up with what you can get from the level 2 armor shop you should be defensive enough to win (I was).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I literally never bothered buying any armor from the armor shop. Properly synergize skills and you don't need to (in the demo.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

Yeah, but just like Radiant Historia, even though there's not a lot of music, it's so good it's hard to get tired of it. Except the dungeon music, which is pretty meh, but I never get tired of any of the battle themes. That Person's Name Is just gets me going every time, I can never get tired of it. Which is good, because it plays a lot. A lot.

I dug out the soundtrack from my collector's edition just to see what's on it, and it does include That Person's Name Is. Though it's called "He of the Name" instead.

Here's the full track list;
  • Overture to Hope (Main Menu theme)
  • Land of Beginnings (Caldislan theme)
  • Horizon of Light and Shadow (World map theme, same one from the demo)
  • The Gongs of Battle (Standard fight theme)
  • Sylvan Tranquility (Temple of Wind theme)
  • Under a Hollow Moon
  • He of the Name (Standard Boss Fight theme)
  • Windswept Day
  • Land of Radiant Flowers
  • Ship upon the Open Skies

Levantine posted:

Yes and yes. It's not hard when you start synergizing some jobs. Ninjitsu is awesome for dodging attacks. Black Mages Damage Dispersal is also good for that. Red Mage's turn the tables will allow you to gain free BP if you dodge. If you armor up with what you can get from the level 2 armor shop you should be defensive enough to win (I was).

I'm partial to a Knight using Two-Handed with Swordmaster in the subjob. It deals out a shitload of damage, especially countering, and it'll still protect party members.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Levantine posted:

Yeah I started noticing synergies but the issue is I leveled up Knight/Ninja/Swordmaster/Valkyrie on 2 guys and the magic jobs on the others, a lot of the useful skills cross over from physical to magic. I didn't really give the dragon that much effort, I just assumed I should come back later. I leveled Ninja late, didn't know how awesome they were because everything they have synergizes with something.

I'm sure it's easier with village items, I just got to the dragon without building the village at all :v: other than that nothing was too difficult after you figure out what the fight wants you to do.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Doh, missed the last page...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to do the 20 villagers trick. How do I delete my current save file? I already saved clear data, if that matters. Do I just do it through the 3ds settings menu thing?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yeah I started noticing synergies but the issue is I leveled up Knight/Ninja/Swordmaster/Valkyrie on 2 guys and the magic jobs on the others, a lot of the useful skills cross over from physical to magic. I didn't really give the dragon that much effort, I just assumed I should come back later. I leveled Ninja late, didn't know how awesome they were because everything they have synergizes with something.

I'm sure it's easier with village items, I just got to the dragon without building the village at all :v: other than that nothing was too difficult after you figure out what the fight wants you to do.

You can definitely make each party member fairly unique and still have ways of mitigating and dealing damage. Ninja is just one way - Black Mage's Damage Dispersion is actually really good, especially for the dragon. Same with White Mage's Angelic Grace. As far as dealing physical damage, make sure someone has Two Handed (Swordmaster and Valkyrie are natural for this). Magic is still very good even for the dragon if you Default to full BP and Brave a bunch of -ra level spells into his face.

Yes, the game looks to be one of trial and error. If you beat a boss first try, good on you! Otherwise, expect to die until you learn patterns and strategies. I hope that holds in the main game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just received the New Year's Eve Streetpass superboss.

I'm sure someone has managed to come up with a strategy to beat this guy into the ground but gently caress if I'm gonna figure it out. And of course he's got 1200000 health as well, because why the hell not, let's keep this fight going.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Am I doing something wrong? I just got to the desert area in the actual game, everything up to this point has been manageable but I went and did the sidequest and got the thief job from the boss in that without too much trouble (used aero on my white mage and thunder on my black mage to hammer them while healing with treat on my knight and monk). Went back to town and figured I'd try continuing that sidequest and the merchant and the bodyguard slaughter me. Just not even close, seems like I kinda have to go into a fight, expect to die and then switch all my dudes into jobs that will be good against that boss, is that right? Or I might just be too low level to be trying this fight (10/11 for my team right now). I assume those two bosses are relatively resistant to physical attacks right? Since my knight (and thief when I tried it out on Tiz for one attempt) were doing absolutely nothing in terms of damage with their abilities and attacks.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Harlock posted:

The Adamantoise is kicking my rear end. What weapons work best against him? Oddly enough it seems like Oaken Poles and Maces were the only things doing decent damage.

You don't need to use 4 mages like other people have been saying. Just default everyone when he gets 2 BP and then spend the next turn or 2 unloading on him. Knight and/or Shell will help for defense. Valkyrie has a pierce default skill that lets them attack through a default and do full damage. I used a Knight/Red Mage/Valkyrie/Swordmaster team but really you can use anything as long as everyone blocks and then heal up after the boss attacks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I ended up beating the dragon just changing around jobs. The issue was I wanted JP and didn't want to "waste" the fight on maxed out stuff but oh well. Black Mage, white Mage, both with Utsusemi and the red Mage turning tables thing. Ninja with the buff from dodging attacks, and the sword master passive that lets you attack again sometimes. These 3 guys were almost never hit, meaning the ninja always had fully buffed attack and the mages constantly had extra BP. Last party member was a 2 hand spear Knight who kept using the bushido skill that reduces damage and attacks back. It was perfect because he was tanking through hits like a champ and also attacking at the same time.

Didn't want to use 3 utsusemis, felt like I was playing FF11 for a bit there

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

thebardyspoon posted:

Am I doing something wrong? I just got to the desert area in the actual game, everything up to this point has been manageable but I went and did the sidequest and got the thief job from the boss in that without too much trouble (used aero on my white mage and thunder on my black mage to hammer them while healing with treat on my knight and monk). Went back to town and figured I'd try continuing that sidequest and the merchant and the bodyguard slaughter me. Just not even close, seems like I kinda have to go into a fight, expect to die and then switch all my dudes into jobs that will be good against that boss, is that right? Or I might just be too low level to be trying this fight (10/11 for my team right now). I assume those two bosses are relatively resistant to physical attacks right? Since my knight (and thief when I tried it out on Tiz for one attempt) were doing absolutely nothing in terms of damage with their abilities and attacks.

I did end up coming back to that fight later because I got wrecked at first, so yeah go on with the story for now. Aside from anything else you'll need more HP to survive Takeover, which does a fixed 300 damage that isn't reduced by armour, protect or default, and he can and will use it twice in one turn on the same person. You could probably deal with it now if you got Damage Dispersion on everyone to spread the damage out, but that might be a bit too much JP grinding at that early stage.

Another thing it might be helpful to know for these fights is that the bodyguard will leave once you do enough damage to either him or the other guy, so focus on the other guy so you don't waste damage

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chapter 5: Loving the little nuances of the story here. I've only just gone back to kill Crowe. I love how the party assume that Edea kicked his rear end so badly that the mere sight of her is enough to terrify him, yet the fact that he drops the Ise-no-kami suggests that he's terrified because he murdered her already. This game is a tad dark. A tad meaning very in this circumstance.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

I did end up coming back to that fight later because I got wrecked at first, so yeah go on with the story for now. Aside from anything else you'll need more HP to survive Takeover, which does a fixed 300 damage that isn't reduced by armour, protect or default, and he can and will use it twice in one turn on the same person. You could probably deal with it now if you got Damage Dispersion on everyone to spread the damage out, but that might be a bit too much JP grinding at that early stage.

Another thing it might be helpful to know for these fights is that the bodyguard will leave once you do enough damage to either him or the other guy, so focus on the other guy so you don't waste damage

Nah I was doing something wrong, hadn't quite gotten the job stuff down yet so hadn't realised I could throw black magic on most of my guys but keep them in whatever actual jobs I wanted to raise. Merchant went down well easily and I stole the mithril staff off him. He knocked out one of my guys once with takeover but that was it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Gyoru posted:

Here's how to cap out on 20 villagers in the demo without using Streetpass at all:

I must be retarded or something but I'm not getting an extra villager when I accept the quest for adamantite. Is it only a small percent chance to happen or something?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I must be retarded or something but I'm not getting an extra villager when I accept the quest for adamantite. Is it only a small percent chance to happen or something?

Talk to everyone in the village, it's not part of the quest reward, if I recall correctly.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Aurain posted:

Talk to everyone in the village, it's not part of the quest reward, if I recall correctly.

That seems to have been it. Thank you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gamestop has the collectors edition still for those still looking for it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What I did is first set everyone's abilities to Damage Dispersion, Turn Tables, Angelic Ward, and Comeback Kid. I set both Tiz and Edea as dual-wielding ninjas. Agnes was a white mage and Ringabel was a performer, both with ninjitsu as their job commands. In the battle, I defaulted till everyone had max bravery, then made everyone utsusemi, with Ringabel using Love For You twice. Then I had Tiz and Adea use all their bravery on attacking the dragon. I just kept doing that, while healing, using utsusemi, and buffing up whenever necessary.

I said come in! posted:

Gamestop has the collectors edition still for those still looking for it.
It's also up on Amazon, for $10 less I think.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 5, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon shows as sold out for me still. :( This is on the American site.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh you're right, it does. You can still try Gamestop at least. Or maybe hold out for a possible restock.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is the turtle the last mission in the demo? I feel as though there should be a boss in the tower at the south part of the map.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DrManiac posted:

Is the turtle the last mission in the demo? I feel as though there should be a boss in the tower at the south part of the map.
Nowhere near. Don't forget the town changes at night!

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

The dragon does nothing but physical damage. Make sure you have at least one spell caster with both white and black magic and the passive abilities you get from both of those jobs. Black mages can do lots of damage with Blizzara. If you're using melee that aren't ninjas, make sure they have the Two-handed ability equipped. Knights should have high enough defense that the dragon shouldn't do too much to them. Valkyries and Swordmasters are squishier, use Protect on Valkyries and you can spam Nothing Ventured on Swordmasters for decent counter attack damage.

Basically, look for ways to sync up abilities between different jobs. If you need to farm up JP, I'd recommend the forest for easy to kill enemies or the beach to the west of the tower for 6 chomper groups (kill them with Thundara spam if you don't have good Norende weapons yet).

e: spoilers just in case

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DrManiac posted:

The fairy's your friend! You should listen to her.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I said come in! posted:

Amazon shows as sold out for me still. :( This is on the American site.

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh you're right, it does. You can still try Gamestop at least. Or maybe hold out for a possible restock.

Best Buy has the collector's edition for $49.99 as well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dunban posted:

Don't immediately head to the cave, level up a bit in the desert near the town and try to get a feel for the jobs and abilities you're using.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yea the game expects you to fight out in the field and do the field related quests when you first start. you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, though I'd imagine it would be possible to survive with the base classes if you knew what you were doing.

Just do the field quests.
Thanks for the tips, I spent a bit of time in the desert close to the town, and did the initial sidequest you get. I managed a bit better (I had gone South first, and just got wrecked by one of those Cat Mage things, and two of the poison snake/worm things), levelled up a bit, got some better equipment and some actual spells (I forgot you had to buy scrolls).

Just a question about the mini-boss in the cave to the West, when I fought her, she seemed to keep getting BPs every turn (max'd to 3 of course, though). I'm not sure if I was just missing the command she was using to get that, it wasn't like the Imps' Brave Thief ability, or whatever it's called. She was then trying to Aeroga my party a few times every turn, but having died to her previously I used Silence on her as soon as I faced her again. I'm just wondering where she was getting the BPs from and why they weren't decreasing at all even though she was doing 2 actions per turn?

The demo is quite fun, although I feel like I won't be able to wrap my head around combining skills from different jobs.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually did end up beating the dragon, and used that same exact setup I posted to beat the Desert golem thing but with the aid of some equipment from building the town at that point.

Knight/Bushido/2 hand, spamming the defense up/counter thing
Ninja with the Ninja evasion buffs
White Mage with Utsusemi and red Mage evasion buff
Black Mage with same

And a LOT of utsusemis later I beat both. About 6.5 hours to beat all that, pretty big for a demo.

• Locked thread