Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, standard covers can give you better than 1 star heroes? I've considered it 100 ISO for like, a week now.

I got an invisible woman last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

I got an invisible woman last week.

I've gotten three X-Force Wolverines from 1 star tokens, as well as about a dozen three star heroes including three Rag reds. I've never gotten better than a 2 star with Heroics. RNG.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just used a standard token and got **** Invisible Woman :smugdog:

Then I realized I'll probably never get another one and she is completely useless now

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Thinking back, all my random 3-stars have come from Standard tokens, too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For Grey Widow the go-to build is 5-3-5, right?

I've heard people argue against this build but this is definitely the way to go. Especially considering how many other people have awesome red abilities. The sniper rifle is insane at level 5 with her maxed out and her recon has amazing utility and should be able to get you really drat close to popping their whole team for 2k+ damage.

E: I've gotten two Red Rags off of standard tokens. Well after I already maxed it out. :negative: But a good chunk of my Spider-Man's growth has come from them as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For Grey Widow the go-to build is 5-3-5, right?

I assume so because her Green is pretty good and her Purple is amazing and her Red is rubbish. Certainly what I'd go for.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jibo posted:

I've heard people argue against this build but this is definitely the way to go.

I'd like to hear the arguments. Green does solid damage and major board churn, Purple is a green / critical factory, Red pops some tiles at high cost and doesn't do much damage or generate AP. 5/3/5.

Hulk event: 62314, #28th. Love it when a plan comes together.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:woop: Just got X-Forcerine from one of my heroic tokens from the side events. I will never use him but for the moment my inner sperg is happy to have everyone.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jibo posted:

:woop: Just got X-Forcerine from one of my heroic tokens from the side events. I will never use him but for the moment my inner sperg is happy to have everyone.

Grats! I'm so close, I need classic mags still, and somehow I have him on my phone which I rarely play

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My heroic tokens got me... 2 bag men. :negative:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I beat all the missions this morning on my ipad, but on opening my phone up to quickly grab some more prizes the sync registered the last mission as a failure for some reason - I didn't lose the recruit pack I won from it, but icon lost the repeatable sign, I lost the points, the mission isn't worth any now, and I've dropped out of the top 300 because of it. :suicide:

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Happy Bear Suit posted:

After rolling like 100 standards and not getting anything above one-star...

...just got my fourth red Rag :stare:

I think I won the lottery

Welcome to the big leagues. If they have their poo poo together this week, have fun stomping teams into the dirt during the lightning rounds. Once I got my fourth red rag and leveled that fucker, the rest of his covers were achievable through his lightning round. Don't forget to tank a round or two before his comes up.

Rag + wolverine are just plain insane.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Welcome to the big leagues. If they have their poo poo together this week, have fun stomping teams into the dirt during the lightning rounds. Once I got my fourth red rag and leveled that fucker, the rest of his covers were achievable through his lightning round. Don't forget to tank a round or two before his comes up.

Rag + wolverine are just plain insane.

Really? I love having that red stockpiled to keep boosting wolvy's attack tiles, then unleashing hell when I know it'll guarantee victory. But I guess when you can make more greens so cheaply, it's not really necessary to build up the reds? I don't have a big enough Rags to play with it yet.

I'm torn on what to do with Original Widow. Maxing her purple seems like a no-brainer, but anti-grav and espionage both don't really seem to be THAT much better at 5 as opposed to 3. I've got a decent Grey Widow already, so don't know if Original will see the light of day anyway.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking my current team of Wolverine + Spidey + Grey Widow. Spidey matches purple to make defense tiles, while at the same time fueling Widow's purple, which then feeds Wolvy greens. Only problem is that black and yellow matches are mostly useless, at least until I get Spidey's yellow cover.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Really? I love having that red stockpiled to keep boosting wolvy's attack tiles, then unleashing hell when I know it'll guarantee victory. But I guess when you can make more greens so cheaply, it's not really necessary to build up the reds? I don't have a big enough Rags to play with it yet.

I'm torn on what to do with Original Widow. Maxing her purple seems like a no-brainer, but anti-grav and espionage both don't really seem to be THAT much better at 5 as opposed to 3. I've got a decent Grey Widow already, so don't know if Original will see the light of day anyway.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking my current team of Wolverine + Spidey + Grey Widow. Spidey matches purple to make defense tiles, while at the same time fueling Widow's purple, which then feeds Wolvy greens. Only problem is that black and yellow matches are mostly useless, at least until I get Spidey's yellow cover.

The damage on Espionage at five can get totally out of hand if you've got some high level strike tiles on the board. The problem with leveling purple on OBW is the cost goes up, too. I actually like OBW a lot more than Grey Suit Widow. It's tough to end up on a board with bad matches with her and Wolverine, and if your third team member can do something with yellow tiles there pretty much are no bad matches.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Any tips for the last mission in Hulk event? Those 240 guys kick my rear end.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I built Original Widow as 5/4/4.

Espionage is absolutely a 4 or a 5 as although it's not good damage itself, it counts as a separate attack so it double-dips on strike tiles. The difference between a level 4 and a level 5 Espionage though is 56 damage per match, which (while it would add up) is basically nothing.

Purple is either a 3 or a 5 in my opinion. There's effectively no match-cost difference between 4 and 5, but level 5 will 'refund' up to 4 purple and shutdown opposing Widows. It takes longer to start up a shutdown at level 5, but once you've started it it's pretty hard for them to break. I wouldn't mind actually having another Widow with 3/5/5 just for swapping in against teams that don't use purple themselves.

Anti-grav is effectively a heal that can be blocked by countdown timers. Timers are pretty rare outside of NPCs who only have timer attacks, so the delay doesn't see a lot of use outside of PvE. I'd say this is easily the swing skill because adding 4 instead of 3 to timers is a decent boost with no additional cost, and healing regardless of timers is useful but mostly in PvE where there's always going to be a timer blocking your heal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JagGator posted:

Any tips for the last mission in Hulk event? Those 240 guys kick my rear end.

Stun the gently caress out of them. Black Widow Modern's blue stun at level 5 has a 5 turn stun + 1 turn stun for their teammates if you dont have any other stun capable guys. Bring along +all ap and +blue/purple ap to keep them stunned and drained of ap.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Looks like the point values are done inflating - unless someone at the top is waiting to make their play and push number 1 forward. It's going to be real interesting to see where I end up. I'm in the 800's now and I have all my missions left, so like 250 points. I'm about 850 points out of 1st place, so I could end top 300, but I might come up shy. At least I'll have Hulk up to 4/3/2 when this thing is done, which is pretty drat good. My Punisher is at 4/2/5. I started the first event with no Punisher, bought the guaranteed 10 pack so I could compete and I got 3 Punisher covers in that. I'm pretty happy with the pay out; it turned into a pretty good investment with 6 hulk covers and 2 Punisher's just in event rewards and 1 with potentially 2 4 star wolverines as bonus.

EDIT: Looks like no one is going to pass thereck in 1st and he's done his missions, so I just banged mine out since rubberbanding is over. Currently 121, we'll see if that's good enough.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 6, 2014

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Stun the gently caress out of them. Black Widow Modern's blue stun at level 5 has a 5 turn stun + 1 turn stun for their teammates if you dont have any other stun capable guys. Bring along +all ap and +blue/purple ap to keep them stunned and drained of ap.

I tried it like 6 times and could only beat it with Wolverine and Thor. Spider-man didn't work for me since as soon as I ran out of blue the match was over. +3 All, R/Y and Green boosts. Deny red and use Thor 's redas often as possible to keep the board covered in yellow, since none of them can use it. Kill order of Rag, Juggs then Venom.

Keep an eye on their AP. If they ever get above 6 Red, toss Punisher out front to eat the Headbutt.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm not going to get a red Hulk this time around, but having a social life is more important, so they say. At least I got emough ISO to get my Spider-Man up to level 116.

I just started the NHB and tore my way to first through some crazy whale teams without boosts. Surprisingly enough, the only team I lost to was a Wolverine/Daken/Grey Widow team. They ripped my Spider-Man apart before I realized things were going that bad. There definitely is something to be said for that team combo.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Well, that's it for points for me. It's a bit frustrating to be squeezed out of the tier I was going for, but as long as I get a couple of hulk covers out of it, I'm good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Karnegal posted:

EDIT: Looks like no one is going to pass thereck in 1st and he's done his missions, so I just banged mine out since rubberbanding is over. Currently 121, we'll see if that's good enough.

I am at 31 somehow! I didn't really have trouble with the 240 mission using 5 blue Spidey and Wolverine, it just took a ton of grinding on those health bars. I used 3All, 3R+Y, and 3B+P boosts to start with 6 blue, and made two quick blue matches to keep them permastunned until I won. Once you start stunning for 5, it is way too easy to keep it going.

I'm not sure if I wrung all the points out of the missions, though. I played the easiest ones first and noticed they still offered extra points for a replay, but after I beat the rest of the missions, nothing had points anymore.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That's just a UI issue that has persisted this whole event. They will show that they still give points if you go back to that mission immediately after beating it, but if you play it again you get nothing. You can generally force it to update points values by exiting the game completely.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Bandire posted:

That's just a UI issue that has persisted this whole event. They will show that they still give points if you go back to that mission immediately after beating it, but if you play it again you get nothing. You can generally force it to update points values by exiting the game completely.

They really should get this fixed. Even if it still does have points, the listed amount is usually what it gave you last time, instead of what you get for that go. I usually just do a different fight and go check afterward and it usually updates.

Sitting at #182 right now, dropped about 60 points in the last 4 hours. Fingers crossed I can hold on for the Wolverine. Don't even know what I'd do with it, except for my completionist OCD. At least my Hulk will be almost done.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

#4600ish after not really trying for the whole event, also got my 50k reward too. Feels good.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
~325ish with a 36 point mission still uncompleted. Unless there's some bizarre point distributions out of my sight, I think I'm safe to wrap this up a bit later.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Man, nobody gives a poo poo about this round of No Holds Barred. My bracket tops out right now at 460.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the prizes arent really all that great. Wowwww, IM40 or Magneto Now. zzzzz.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Really? I love having that red stockpiled to keep boosting wolvy's attack tiles, then unleashing hell when I know it'll guarantee victory. But I guess when you can make more greens so cheaply, it's not really necessary to build up the reds?

Bingo. My go to move with Rag is headhunt a couple red matches first, if I can, then dump 2 - 3 thunderclaps in a row and that usually generates enough for wolverine to feral claw a few times. If the first 'clap makes a green match I let wolverine make a strike tile ASAP so my next thunderclap gets the damage bonus (as well as the subsequent green matches). Using feral claws as soon as you can saves the red basic tiles from being turned into greens as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I really wish I could get a red Rag cover. He seems so fun :smith:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
What are the best boosters/characters to use to beat The Final Showdown? For the life of me I cannot do it and I have a maxxed out Thor, Wolverine, a level 77 Hulk, level 30 Punisher, maxed out Captain America and lots of others.

What did y'all use?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

28 Punisher, 85 Wolverine and a 77 Spider-Man. I took +All, +Blue/Purple, and +20% to Dark Avengers.

I can't imagine how punishing it must be to do it without a Spider-Man.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Necroneocon posted:

What are the best boosters/characters to use to beat The Final Showdown? For the life of me I cannot do it and I have a maxxed out Thor, Wolverine, a level 77 Hulk, level 30 Punisher, maxed out Captain America and lots of others.

What did y'all use?

I followed zamin's setup and strategy outlined further up with Thor, Wolverine, Punisher (~30 2/2/2). All, R/Y, G/B boosts. Whatever you do hinges on a big scoop of luck, but I managed a few of the crazy level teams earlier in the tournament with the same setup. In the final round I made I through with only ~200 damage taken total, all tanked by Wolverine.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, the prizes arent really all that great. Wowwww, IM40 or Magneto Now. zzzzz.

I need like a million IM40 covers, especially after getting hosed on the widow one, but I'm just too burnt from the last few to care about this one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How should one build IM40 anyway? 5/5/3 so the yellow isn't hella expensive?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on what you want to use him for. I'm going 4/5/4 so I have purple regen. If I ever pull IM40 out of storage. :effort: Everyone else is on the backburner as I'm currently levelling up Spiderman and Punisher.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

How should one build IM40 anyway? 5/5/3 so the yellow isn't hella expensive?

If you plan on pairing IM40 with any of the 3 widows (and they all have good synergy with IM40) then you definitely want that 4th yellow cover. If all you want to do is power spiderman then stop at 3 yellow.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
1444 with 25 minutes left. Only the 240s left, but hopefully won't need them to stay under 1500.

e: Sitting 24 in NHB for Magneto now.

e2: 1450 with 15 minutes left.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 6, 2014

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I feel like I could fill Arlington national cemetary with the Captain America covers I've sold during these Hulk events.

I have the feeling that the randomness of the covers is teaching the users to never ever spend money on the game because you'll just end up with another cover that you've sold eight of previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I went for Magneto instead of IM40, so they bring out an IM40 Tournament. :negative: