Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
i'm now thinking i could make a loving fortune making and selling real cider because apparently that's not a thing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a US/UK thing that's all. Cookies and biscuits.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

toe knee hand posted:

i'm now thinking i could make a loving fortune making and selling real cider because apparently that's not a thing here

Yeah we have alcoholic cider made from apples too. It's already been mentioned, we just call it "hard cider" instead. Stuff like Angry Orchard and Woodchuck are pretty big already.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Yeah, it's not as if cider doesn't exist here. It's just a difference in terminology.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pick posted:

It's a US/UK thing that's all. Cookies and biscuits.

Calling them biscuits is intensely stupid, though. If I wanted biscuits I'd go to a breakfast place south of the Mason-Dixon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Calling them biscuits is intensely stupid, though. If I wanted biscuits I'd go to a breakfast place south of the Mason-Dixon.

I know! And I don't know what you call a true biscuit in the UK.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pick posted:

They don't exist, actually.

It's a savage, cruel, degenerate land.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

scones?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah we have alcoholic cider made from apples too. It's already been mentioned, we just call it "hard cider" instead. Stuff like Angry Orchard and Woodchuck are pretty big already.

oh and that's legitimate cider? calling anything "hard" to me just implies you've taken a beverage and put vodka in it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Torka posted:

scones?

Nah, scones are like biscuits but sweet and they have bits of fruit in them. They're kind of a cross between a muffin and a biscuit.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

toe knee hand posted:

oh and that's legitimate cider? calling anything "hard" to me just implies you've taken a beverage and put vodka in it.

Nah, it's actually fermented fruit juice like your "cider".

Also how can people live without biscuits and gravy? That sounds terrible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Torka posted:

scones?

Biscuits aren't sweet though, scones have sugar or fruit bits. No biscuit has ever been baked with fruit in, or nuts. That would be hosed up. You'd get your rear end beat for being some kinda tard.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Also how can people live without biscuits and gravy? That sounds terrible

They also don't have pancakes. *shudder*

And don't get me started on the abomination that is Britain's scrambled egg situation.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
you can make your own loving pancakes, they are easy

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And don't get me started on the abomination that is Britain's scrambled egg situation.

what about the BACON

even streaky bacon which is supposedly north american bacon doesn't actually have any loving fat on it

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
also in belgium the bacon has bones in it

yea i don't even know

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

toe knee hand posted:

you can make your own loving pancakes, they are easy

I tended to eat breakfast out a lot because I'm a terrible cook.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I'd probably starve to death if I couldn't cook.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
american bacon was always in the "inedible poo poo" section of the meat rack in the czech republic, and let me tell you, it is some loving hurdle to be on the inedible poo poo rack over there

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

toe knee hand posted:

what about the BACON

even streaky bacon which is supposedly north american bacon doesn't actually have any loving fat on it

I actually made my peace with British bacon early on when I found you could get chops of the stuff which was like eating a thick, extra-salty country ham.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
i dont like ham though

i just like bacon

britain was hell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i only like bacon for recipes, like some soups and stuff

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, in one of the Discworld books Vimes is eating a BLT with quite a lot of crispy bacon and hardly any LT. In north america you just let the bacon cook a bit longer and it basically deep fries in its own fat, making a nice salty crunchy wonderful mess. So I was picturing something like this inside his sandwich:

If they are just calling pork bacon, what does british bacon look like when it is crispy?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

iirc there's a bit where vimes is described as loving "little crunchy brown bits, the food group of the gods" so that picture seems about right

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
bacon is good as a topping
maybe a couple strips with a breakfast
thats it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
bacon is alright. prefer ham as a breakfast meat, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VanSandman posted:

bacon is good as a topping
maybe a couple strips with a breakfast
thats it

Yeah but we don't eat bacon made from the flesh of your victims like you do.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

toe knee hand posted:

what about the BACON

whoever told you that is a lovely liar.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Super crunchy bacon is amazing but absolutely impossible to stab with a fork.

I'm feeling really ladylike today because I got a late-xmas-present coat from my sister-in-law and it's super nice.

(There isn't a better picture of a model with it closed.)

It's much warmer than you'd expect for how thin it is and it has a button-up neck, too.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
As promised - Ichiro! He is being a jerk, and will not sit still for a picture. But this is his grumpy self. He was rescued from the streets of Yokohama and was skinny and dirty and had no idea how to be a cat. He is now clean and fat, but still makes only bird noises and a scratchy yell if you offer "TREATS?" He also hates Xbox 360 avatars and will make a predator sound at the login screen. Ichiro is very popular here, and advertises everything from cigarettes to coffee to shoes, hence the cat name. My vet thinks it's hilarious. About a month or two after we got him (and when he was still a kitten) he fell off an ironing board and badly broke his leg. He is the most graceless animal ever to walk the Earth. Seriously. An ironing board. Compound fracture of both the tibia and the fibula requiring external fixators. ¥250,000. Yay free rescue kittens. Anyway! Here he is in all of his clumsy splendor.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

poopkitty posted:

Seriously. An ironing board.

I had a not-clumsy cat fall off the back of a rocking recliner (she didn't understand the 'rocking' part in time) and break her leg. I think it's less clumsiness and more bad angles. Poor kitty.

I missed 1200 posts and I'm not reading them all. I skimmed. If I missed any meltdowns or anything else interesting, please tell me.

Crow Jane posted:

This is amazing, you rock. Can you do it with that wonderful dark red Carrie Brownstein wears sometimes on Portlandia?

Sure, when you get a chance, post a pic or three so I can be as accurate as possible. By the way, is your name from William Gibson's Burning Chrome? If not, nevermind me.

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm going to have sooo much fun at Ulta this weekend! Will update! May have to wait until my dumb lip scab heals because ew.

I'm probably too late but DON'T SWATCH OPEN-TO-THE-PUBLIC-TESTERS on your lips/face before sanitizing them with the alcohol spray they keep at those little stations with kleenex and makeup remover and whatnot. If a store employee goes to put something on you, ask them if it's been sterilized. Some stuff, like mascara and glosses with wand applicators, can't be sterilized, so it's your choice if you want to ask them to open a new tester (they might say no), see if there's a mini you can buy to have new product tested on you, or just brave out makeup that has been touched to strangers' eyes and lips and then shoved back into a goop-filled, sealed tube. I'm really paranoid about catching an eye infection from mascara testers, myself, cosmetic-borne infections can be awful, and ruin your sight/scar skin permanently. I'm also scared of getting colds/herpes from lipgloss. I understand this is kind of a hang-up, and will not judge you if you choose to ignore part or all of this advice.

While I'm at it, don't buy counterfeit cosmetics. That poo poo can be harmless, if lacking in quality, or it can have rat & human feces and ridiculous amounts of lead in it.

All Of The Dicks posted:

I am looking for some perfume that smells like something a 17 year old Brazilian hooker would wear. Sexy, sweet and utterly without taste or subtlety. Anything you can rec at ULTA?

Viva la Juicy.

poopkitty posted:

I did! I almost bought the one that said LIVELY KITTEN but I'm hard, yo.

I know nothing about makeup either. I watch a lot of makeup videos on youtube and buy a lot of cheap makeup to experiment with and then when it's wrong for me I give it to my 7 year old who DOES makeup tutorials. (I share with family. She's hilarious.) I think I may be getting better, I'm up from wearing it twice a year to about once or twice a month. I want to be good at it, but that doesn't count for much.

Quoting this because it was the first I saw of several that echoed this sentiment. You're basically painting your face, using a variety of techniques (stippling is probably mentioned more often in cosmetics chat than art chat), and it takes practice, like anything else. Unless you have an insanely steady hand and ridiculous luck, things aren't going to come out the way you planned sometimes. A lot, if you're just getting started.

Makeup has moved firmly over into the 'hobby' category for me, but I still don't wear it all that often. Usually between twice a week and twice a month. I mess with it almost every day (swatching for blog posts, mostly) but it doesn't always end up on my face.

t_violet posted:

I used to be really lost at make-up but was always fascinated by the process. One day, I decided dammit, people who are way less smart than me know how to good make-up, I'm going to learn. So I started watching youtube videos, reading blogs, and just practicing. Every day. It took time and investment but doesn't every skill?

On big thing is to have good make-up brushes, you pretty much can't get a good application with just the applicators that come with the package or your fingers. I invested in MAC which are still going strong eight years later but I hear good things about less expensive brushes like ELF.

Not all ELF brushes are awesome. Those that are tend to be from the Studio Line, but it doesn't have everything. I could reel off a dozen alternative brands, from cheap to oh-my-god pricey, but I won't (unless someone asks).

t_violet posted:

Read the reviews (makeup alley, temptalia) and get decent quality make-up; cheap stuff generally is chalky, generally unpigmented, and doesn't apply well. The difference between quality eye shadow and bad drug store stuff is amazing. And it doesn't have to be really expensive, nowdays there are lots of less expensive but good indie brands. Also, finding out about types of make-up you might not have known about. Like gel eyeliner you put on with a slanted brush looks a lot like liquid eye liner but is way easier to apply.

Agreed, especially about the indies. There are also good drugstore products and horrible mid-to-high-end ones, so the reviews part is double important. Blogs are good too, for reviews. Makeup Talk is another good forum, I find it a hell of a lot easier to read than MakeupAlley.

t_violet posted:

And while you don't have to wear all the make-up, there are definitely products you need for a good application. Make-up artists don't just put eye shadow on directly; first they put on primer and maybe a cream shadow base. That's how you get a make-up application that looks polished and lasts and that was a huge revelation to me when I started figuring this stuff out. (I used to do things like buy a single eyeshadow trio from L'Oreal and wonder why it looked to bad; now I know it was bad tools, bad quality make-up, and bad preparation.) I have super heavy hooded eyelids but when I use primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion), followed by a MAC Paint Pot under my powder eyeshadow, my eye make-up lasts all day with fading or creasing.

My secret for a good lipstick application is to get a clear lip liner and outline [ii]outside[/i] the lip line before applying lipstick. The clear lip liner stops the lip stick from migrating and gooping up the corners or moving into lip lines. Plus don't really put any lipstick in the corners, it should taper down to a point right at the corner.

I agree with all of this, and I think that matters, since someone called me a Sorceress of Makeup or something like that.

Women's Rights? posted:

"it's okay for me to like knitting and zombies and nail polish and video games and makeup and beer liking one does not negate the other" is something that took me an embarrassingly long time to learn.

Same, except substitute "fashion and sewing" for "knitting and zombies." It's sad how many women go through this phase, doesn't say anything good about the messages we receive when we're young.

If anyone wants help finding a lipstick/eyeshadow/whatever shade, or a matching foundation, or whatever, post or PM me. I love hunting that poo poo down. I am not friends with many ladies (which is why I can't shut up about makeup in here), so any chance to play shade detective is a happy event.

Okay um back to food again.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

You guys were talking about squirrels and I saw some little fat squirrels in the park this morning and I'm a bit worried they should be hibernating by now :ohdear: Do they not know it is January?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Where did you get this idea from? The UK has pancakes, I eat pancakes all the time. We don't go as crazy for them as you Yanks do but we still appreciate a nice pancake. Mostly on Shrove Tuesday :catholic:. On the other hand we seem to have just discovered waffles, I only know one place where you can reliably get waffles and bacon for breakfast (luckily between my house and work).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Maybe it was just Manchester where they didn't have pancakes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Squirrels don't hibernate :confused: You can see them year-round.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
@Fabulist- I'm at work all day, but will look for pics when I get home. You're the best.

The name is actually from an old murder ballad that lots of cool people have interpreted over the years. Nick Cave does a pretty good one, and there are some amazing old blues guys who rock it as well. I haven't read any Gibson, but I'd be willing to bet that he's referencing it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Angela Christine posted:

Okay, in one of the Discworld books Vimes is eating a BLT with quite a lot of crispy bacon and hardly any LT. In north america you just let the bacon cook a bit longer and it basically deep fries in its own fat, making a nice salty crunchy wonderful mess. So I was picturing something like this inside his sandwich:

If they are just calling pork bacon, what does british bacon look like when it is crispy?

Those are American streaky rashers, which are about half fat. If anyone in the UK talks about bacon (or rashers), it's something much, much thicker, with less fat - more like it is just slices of fried ham.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Maybe it was just Manchester where they didn't have pancakes.

The UK definitely has pancakes, but American pancakes are a very doughy, thick, cake-like pancake, whereas the pancakes you will get throughout most of Europe are much thinner - you'd probably think of them as crepes. In Ireland and the UK, Shrove Tuesday (right before lent) is actually called Pancake Tuesday because everyone gorges on pancakes all day before Lent (even if you don't actually participate in Lent, you get to eat them all day). Not quite Mardi Gras, but full of pancakes.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 6, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Anne Whateley posted:

Squirrels don't hibernate :confused: You can see them year-round.

B-but they store nuts in their little squirrel holes for winter and have cute sleep times? :( Someone in nursery school lied to me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
no one go outside. jesus chrsit the earth is dying

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
thank god that in this weather my dog, who normally farts around for like 15 minutes before she does anything no matter how long she's been holding it, goes "gently caress this" and pees immediately

it's so loving cold outside i'm honestly debating on whether it would be REALLY that bad to let her just poop inside because if she goes outside i have to a) wait for her and b) wade through a foot of snow to pick it up and c) somehow navigate down to the dumpster to throw it away and none of that sounds god drat worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I am jealous of everyone's snow :(

• Locked thread