Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Mage Ham posted:

After getting the game just recently, I decided all I'd do before the forthcoming wipe was find the perfect randomly-generated name for each race- which I'll then keep for future characters.

This resulted in:
-Zap Robo, Glitch Pirate King
-Freedom Face, Apex Revolutionary
-Twerkgaurd, Hylotl Awkwardness-bringer

Still no truly satisfactory Avian/Human/Floran names, though.
Although 'slicelicker' was a pretty cool plant-lady (and landed right in the middle of a HUGE Avian town on her starting planet....before being killed by Acid Rain).

This game.

I have an Avian named "Cuddle-Gouger." He is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I was at work earlier today just daydreaming and I came up with an amazing idea for a race I'd like to see modded in.

Space-Viking Walrus-People

I'd do it myself but I have no experience whatsoever with modding so if anyone else wants to take this idea and run with it, be my guest!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Their racial helmets just make their horns, both helmet and actual, increasingly ludicrous. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

karl fungus posted:

If the dragon boss kills me, will he still be on the planet or do I have to find 100 titanium ore again?

After being offscreen or not taking any damage for a while, bosses will de-aggro and after a minute or two despawn, meaning you'll have to make the summoning materials all over.

So, uh, try not to get killed.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

karl fungus posted:

If the dragon boss kills me, will he still be on the planet or do I have to find 100 titanium ore again?

If you spawn the dragon at your spawn location on the planet, you can make it back quickly enough for the dragon not to despawn. Hell, it's very easy to make it back in time for the boss to not regain any of its health. I had to do this for the UFO boss when the steam EAG first came out and every enemy was extremely overpowered. I think I died once during the current patch against the jelly boss and did the same.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I have a huge Avian settlement on a world, can I put the distress beacon down in the middle of it and have them help me with the fighting?

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

If I have a huge Avian settlement on a world, can I put the distress beacon down in the middle of it and have them help me with the fighting?

This is how I cheesed the dragon boss the first time I fought it - by summoning it on an Avian pirate airship. They tore it to pieces pretty quickly.

KineticCapitalist
Jan 4, 2014

Doldrums. Doldrums. Eviler than the Devil. Boredom makes men to villains.

Mage Ham posted:

After getting the game just recently, I decided all I'd do before the forthcoming wipe was find the perfect randomly-generated name for each race- which I'll then keep for future characters.

This resulted in:
-Zap Robo, Glitch Pirate King
-Freedom Face, Apex Revolutionary
-Twerkgaurd, Hylotl Awkwardness-bringer

Although 'slicelicker' was a pretty cool plant-lady (and landed right in the middle of a HUGE Avian town on her starting planet....before being killed by Acid Rain).

This game.

My human character is named Ace Starburn, and he is a dopey adventurer.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Mage Ham posted:

I killed an avian NPC named 'Birdbird', and honestly I just can't imagine a better name :allears:

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Here is a list of good adventurer names :v:

MST3k posted:

Beat PunchBeef
Big, Brave Brick of Meat
Big McLargeHuge
Blast HardCheese
Blast ThickNeck
Bob Johnson
Bold BigFlank
Bulk VanderHuge
Brick HardMeat
Buck PlankChest
Buff DrinkLots
Buff HardBack
Butch DeadLift

ChunkHead
Chunky
Crud BoneMeal
Crunch ButtSteak

Dirk HardPec

Fist RockBone
Flink
Flint IronStag
Fridge LargeMeat

Gristle McThornBody

Hack BlowFist
Hunk

Lump BeefBroth

Punch RockGroin
Punch Side-Iron
Punt SpeedChunk

Reef BlastBody
Roll Fizzlebeef
Rip SteakFace

Slab BulkHead
Slab SquatThrust
Slam
Slate Fistcrunch
Slate SlabRock
Smash LampJaw
Smoke ManMuscle
Splint ChestHair
Stump BeefKnob
Stump Chunkman

Thick McRunFast
Touch RustRod
Trunk SlamChest

Whip SlagCheek

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Any advice on where to find an awesome 1H sword? I have my Impervium stuff, currently rolling around on Lv. 10 planets, and I feel a distinct lack of pew pews in my melee.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

J.A.B.C. posted:

Any advice on where to find an awesome 1H sword? I have my Impervium stuff, currently rolling around on Lv. 10 planets, and I feel a distinct lack of pew pews in my melee.

Just a matter of luck, I've found?

Best I've seen so far is a onehander that hit for almost 3k damage - which plays very nicely with a pistol or the like: whittle down at a distance and finish with one big fat hit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nomikos posted:

Here is a list of good adventurer names :v:

Should be required viewing before you can purchase Starbound.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Should be required viewing before you can purchase Starbound.

I feel like forcing people to watch it could provoke some kind of protest.
Perhaps even....a mutiny.
In space.
A space mutiny.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm going to name every character I play from now on Lieutenant Waitress.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My go-to Cheesy Space Hero name is Blitz Manjaw. It has a wonderful kind of swaggering, idiotic machismo to it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pilchenstein posted:

I did something constructive with the last few hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Cw_QO7V8o
Just imagine the penguin is a higgs-boson or some poo poo.

I actually built one that went right around an entire planet, but when I got back to the starting point all the wires had snapped because they can't cross chunk boundaries. Live and learn.

I'm very, VERY excited at the prospect of the X-Com Blaster Launcher being modded into Starbound. Maybe not what you had in mind when you made it, but technology finds a way.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I've noticed something with the races:

Fairly cool:
Avians
Florians

Assholes:
Apex
Human

Mixed:
Glitch

Extinct:
Hylotl

Seriously, I'm kind of wanting the character wipe so I can ditch Orfment, my human character, and play as something else. Because every Human settlement I've seen has tried to kill me. Apex are the same way, just with smaller bases and bigger guns.

As a human, I've never had to fight a Florian or Avian, and only met one or two hostile Glitch, and they calm down if you switch your weapon out. Never seen a Hylotl settlement, yet.

Do the races change interaction outside of dialogue, or is that it?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Glitch and Avians do not like visitors in their castles and tombs, respectively. And there's a Florian area where both the guys that are supposed to be assholes to you and the guys you'd think might help you out both try to murder you with equal assholery, so.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I've noticed something with the races:

Fairly cool:
Avians
Florians

Assholes:
Apex
Human

Mixed:
Glitch

Extinct:
Hylotl

Seriously, I'm kind of wanting the character wipe so I can ditch Orfment, my human character, and play as something else. Because every Human settlement I've seen has tried to kill me. Apex are the same way, just with smaller bases and bigger guns.

As a human, I've never had to fight a Florian or Avian, and only met one or two hostile Glitch, and they calm down if you switch your weapon out. Never seen a Hylotl settlement, yet.

Do the races change interaction outside of dialogue, or is that it?

Fora point of reference: humans don't have a settlement outside of two dungeons and the hyoltl settlements don't exist due to no oceanic planet. Florans, glitch, and apex do have both a town and dungeon settlement.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

:magical:

Good loving god.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Someone please make the hosed up retarded apes playable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I feel really bad when I visit an Apex town because I want to fight the guards and throw off the yoke of Big Ape's tyranny but sometimes one of the guards will whisper, "please don't make trouble or the Miniknog will take my family," so now I can't bring myself to do it anymore. :smith:

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
I played with someone who "Liberated" an Apex city. The minute he got done some predatory animals swooped in and vomited highly corrosive blood on half the population, drinking up their delicious melted prey afterward I'm sure.

I imagine the Apex were a little less than pleased with their sudden freedom after that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hopefully you also "liberated" their awesome retro furniture as well. Before the ship wipe one of my characters converted his ship into a space Winnebago after he liberated an Apex village of its guards and furniture.

I swear this game is like Animal Crossing but in space and with a 100 percent more murder.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Starhawk64 posted:

I swear this game is like Animal Crossing but in space and with a 100 percent more murder.

Why is this not in the thread name yet??

I am patiently awaiting this final wipe...

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Because Space-Terraria in Space is more appropriate. :v:

Though Animal Crossing in Space with 100% more murder is pretty accurate as well. My biggest thought when finding a new dungeon or village is "Ooo! New stuff to decorate my ship with! Yoink!"

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
So how do I move up the tech tiers? I just built a Mk2 starmap but I'm not sure where I'm meant to be going to be able to tech up to things like turrets and the like.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Mister Bung posted:

So how do I move up the tech tiers? I just built a Mk2 starmap but I'm not sure where I'm meant to be going to be able to tech up to things like turrets and the like.

As you gain access to more starmaps, you get more recipes. To get more starmaps, you need to make the boss items and beat the boss.

later on you'll get a portable crafting computer, which will unlock the nano-recipes.

Remember to make Steel bars out of Iron Bars and Coal at the Metalcrafting station. That'll allow you to make the robot parts and brain collector to make the robot boss.

I had the same issues.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hammers.

After I get done with spears tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll make a compilation with everything as it's proper color for ore tiers, and then I'll get to working on armor.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 6, 2014

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Mister Bung posted:

You have to eat the starmap upgrades

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just started playing, and I've made decent progress to Beta systems. I did have three questions I didn't see in the OP...

When there's a wipe does that mean my characters are completely gone? I think people mentioned there may be one soon, and I don't want to get too attached if that's the case.

Also, when does holiday spirit stop dropping? I need a lot of pixels right now, and I feel it's taking up volume that could be replaced by pixels.

Is there an easier way to get pixels other than exploring and killing stuff?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

sector_corrector posted:

Also, when does holiday spirit stop dropping? I need a lot of pixels right now, and I feel it's taking up volume that could be replaced by pixels.
Probably during the next patch or something. You can convert them to the useful Fairy Lights (basically torches) at the Toymaker's Table for 1 Spirit apiece.

If you get the Refinery made, you can start stuffing Ore into it for pixels. One note though is that Diamond Ore is worth 100 pixels, it takes 4 Diamond Ore to make 1 Diamond, but 1 Diamond is only worth 200 pixels. All of the other bars have an equal ore:bar 1:2 ratio (25:50 for gold, etc).

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

sector_corrector posted:

I just started playing, and I've made decent progress to Beta systems. I did have three questions I didn't see in the OP...

When there's a wipe does that mean my characters are completely gone? I think people mentioned there may be one soon, and I don't want to get too attached if that's the case.

Yeah, the wipe makes it so your old characters are incompatible with the new patch and won't show up in the selection dialog. Thankfully, the next patch is implementing a new system that should prevent future character wipes. Ship/world wipes are still possible though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm probably going to hold off until the next patch, then. It's a really fun game so far, though.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
According to Tiy on Twitter, Starbound has now crossed the 1 million copies sold point. Congrats to them! Now how long before we see Starbound posters at Walmart. (I saw a Terraria one there when I was Christmas shopping and it seriously blew my mind)

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, so I bought the game last friday, and I've been cruising through ever since. I can't believe I'm gonna have to start over because I'm so happy with the way things are going. I think I've been advancing pretty fast because I watched a lot of videos so I had an idea of what to do to progress

Anyways, I just defeated the dragon using the turret method (I can't believe they're only 1 pixel), except I had forgotten to activate them before summoning the boss...... The first few minutes consisted of me trying to doge it while running around activating them and healing myself. In the end, I had installed dozens of turrets but only needed a handful of them

Now, my question is: how I do I go to the coordinates I input myself. Every time I try it doesn't work and just takes me to a planet I've just been to

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Duro posted:

Now, my question is: how I do I go to the coordinates I input myself. Every time I try it doesn't work and just takes me to a planet I've just been to

You need to fully zoom out on the starchart before you punch coordinates in.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

You need to fully zoom out on the starchart before you punch coordinates in.

Then select the planet in the center of the starchart. Dont hit the big button yet. The coordinates only link to a star system, you need to zoom in and select a planet to travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Duro posted:

Make sure you're fully zoomed out on the starmap. When you enter the coords, the corresponding system will be the one in the middle of the screen. Click it and go to whatever planet needed. Most online coordinate databases will specify which planet/moon they're referring to.

Edit: Beaten.

• Locked thread