Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A tournament with buffed IM40 with Spiderman prizes? 10k hitpoint IM40 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Largepotato posted:

1444 with 25 minutes left. Only the 240s left, but hopefully won't need them to stay under 1500.

e: Sitting 24 in NHB for Magneto now.

e2: 1450 with 15 minutes left.

I think I just finished NHB at 25 for Magneto, too. Hard to tell, though, I couldn't win one more without getting into the yellow IM bracket, and I think a loss might have dropped me out of 21-50. I have NO idea what to do with his build, though -- this win will bring me pretty close to filling him out. I have him at 3/2/4 right now, and the last red cover doesn't really sound that good -- +3 AP to destroy a larger block. I'm not a huge fan of the 4th blue, either, because the countdown goes up to 3. I think 4/5/4 might be the best tradeoff? Dunno, I really liked him when I first started playing, and was upset I hadn't found enough covers to use him, but at this point he doesn't sound very strong anymore. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, that's usually how they work. Weird prize? Will probably feature soon.

Also drink up Tony.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I went for Magneto too (successfully, for once), but my IM40 is 4/4/4 and I will probably never be able to max him out level-wise anyway. He's only 64 now.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I was fighting a match just as nhb ended and have not gotten any reward at all for it. I did drop to 1600 in the Hulk tournament, but then went to the bathroom during the work Christmas party and with +3 all rd/yw and 20% DA and a lot of luck managed to down the last mission and get my top 1500 hulk all covers.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Top 300 for Hulk and 3 Mag rank for NHB, mission accomplished.

Sold my 3/0/4 IM40 to rebuild after I got 3 covers from the Widowmaker. Don't I feel like an rear end... On the bright side, IM40 is basically useless with his crazy skill costs in the current meta of boosted quick wins. Just dodge the ones that'll take forever to clear and you should be gold. Hopefully my lowish finish in the last tournament should give me a kinda slacker bracket so I can finish off my Spidey.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Huh, somehow got top 1500 in the Hulk event without really trying that hard. That's nice. And got my 3 Mag covers, exactly what I needed.

Also, hahaha @ double shot with boosted IM40 with spidey covers for top prizes. My IM40 and spidey are both already maxed out and I Don't know if I should bother trying to get the IW prize. I could if I really wanted to...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow got knocked out of first place while I was fighting my last battle, but at least I was in Top 4, netting me 3 IM40 covers. And hey, what's that, an IM40 Tournament! Also got withing 1,500 in Hulk so no Wolverine but yes Red Hulk.

Hopefully I can get at least a Blue cover for Spidey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2 Magneto covers, 2 Original Widow covers, 100 HP total put of the events ending. Not bad considering how little effort I put. Now with Classic Spidey as a reward, I'll be a try hard with this event.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I got 3 original BW covers and I am approximately 0.5% of the sperglord that everyone else who plays this game seems to be so I feel like I won big

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm up to 3 green for Hulk and I have one more spare. I was thinking 3/5/5 or 4/4/5, but I cant decide. :ohdear:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

In keeping with the trend of rewards foreshadowing upcoming events, I have a bad feeling the dumb Hawkeye/Bullseye event is coming after Double Shot.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Wow this game is super addictive. Is there any strategy to getting more covers or do I just need to pay money/keep going with the plot missions?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Well thanks to coming #1 in two out of the last three PVP tourneys, I have a 3/2/2 ironman to have fun with! Yayyyy.

No Holds Barred was a crazy battle, I was certain I wouldn't come first, I came in too early because I was bored and ended up in a match with 5 other dudes. I guess I clicked faster.

FYI powered up Iron Man takes priority over wolvie's yellows and reds at level 38 :(

On the plus side, he can power up OBW's heal enough that it doesn't really matter!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want 1* covers, throw 500iso at that lottery. 2*s will come out of the 200/100 hero point lottery, but the range of prizes is so huge it'll be awhile before you build up useful characters. Yes, do the plot missions for more reward tokens, and do events too, they'll also throw tokens at you regularly. Not counting lucky breaks, you're better off saving points to boost specific skills on good characters rather than just drawing at random.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

I'm up to 3 green for Hulk and I have one more spare. I was thinking 3/5/5 or 4/4/5, but I cant decide. :ohdear:
I'm sitting on an extra as well.

Both Thunderous Clap and Smash are built around having a large store of green supplied by Anger - but for the foreseeable future I'd rather be immediately dumping those greens into strike tiles. That said, Thunderous Clap at least might get some cascades for 10 green AP - a level 5 Smash still needs 14 green AP to do damage equivalent to Unibeam, but with a backfire component.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

so is Iron man 40 as lovely as he looks? it seems all his powers do craptons of expensive burst damage at the expense of crippling the rest of your team.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, he's pretty baller because he's a tanky AP battery that has good single-target damage and team damage. You don't have to pay the extra AP, it just drains it if it's there - most of the time it isn't or he's stunned from Recharge.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Whelp, I fell asleep with an hour left but somehow top 8's NHB. If I was awake, maybe I would have managed top 4 :(. Oh well Still a major boon. Also top 300 in hulk! Good day for covers. Too bad purple spiderman is at 2-5, since those are the only ones I need.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
The event rules for the IM40 tournament mentions double rewards if you've fought over 500 guys. Does that translate to double points, or double point milestone awards, you think? Either way, I hope that encourages people to actually PVP at a steady clip as opposed to the mad dash for top 10 we usually see.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PaleBlueDot posted:

The event rules for the IM40 tournament mentions double rewards if you've fought over 500 guys. Does that translate to double points, or double point milestone awards, you think? Either way, I hope that encourages people to actually PVP at a steady clip as opposed to the mad dash for top 10 we usually see.

500 is a stupid high number though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's... a lot of people to fight.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

PaleBlueDot posted:

It doesn't say that.

quote:

Take on just 500 rivals and claim twice the rewards!
It's a really terribly way of wording that brackets are limited to 500 people.
As for the double rewards thing, could just be a reference to the back-to-back nature of the tournament.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Well, that's disappointning, also clumsily phrased. :sigh: Oh well, at least this one ends in a sane time in my time zone, so I'm in it for the rush.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Huh. Woke up and got 4 Original Widow covers from the event and a 3 star Magneto (after complaining about never getting anything good from recruit tokens) for no readily apparent reason. Spent the morning grinding another roster slot up.

I'm gonna be freaking out when the prologue missions are finally tapped dry of Hero Points rewards.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think I already sucked all the prologue missions dry of HP. I have 16 slots opened?

Anyway, went to bed 11th in NHB with, woke up outside the top 125. If I lived in a PST time zone finishing top 10 would have been no problem, but I'm penalized for living on the east coast and not being a college student?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

In keeping with the trend of rewards foreshadowing upcoming events, I have a bad feeling the dumb Hawkeye/Bullseye event is coming after Double Shot.
Yeah. Since they've recently given out IM40 and Spidey rewards, I'm guessing an Avengers tourney is just beyound the horizon. And seeing as how they've also given out Bullseye progression rewards and Daken rewards, I'm maybe smelling a Dark Avengers tourney?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Murgos posted:

I think I already sucked all the prologue missions dry of HP. I have 16 slots opened?

Anyway, went to bed 11th in NHB with, woke up outside the top 125. If I lived in a PST time zone finishing top 10 would have been no problem, but I'm penalized for living on the east coast and not being a college student?

End times shift with every event, so if this one was bad for you, a different one will be good.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Welcome to the big leagues. If they have their poo poo together this week, have fun stomping teams into the dirt during the lightning rounds. Once I got my fourth red rag and leveled that fucker, the rest of his covers were achievable through his lightning round. Don't forget to tank a round or two before his comes up.

Rag + wolverine are just plain insane.
Yeah. Im finding Rags ability to generate green tiles to basically be one of the strongest abilities in the game. Aside from the crazy crit cascades, It gives him great synergy when paired with other green characters. Grey widow is currently my Ragnarok battle buddy and it is very insane. I can also definitely see wolvie, possibly hulk, and even thor's green abilities matching up pretty well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I honestly hope they have some kind of Hawkeye-centric tournament coming up, mainly because I feel like I can cram Hawkeye onto any team of mine without Modern Storm and feel he's clearly team MVP. Take Aim is just a great ability, and if Hawkeye wasn't one of the sad "I max at level 40!" characters, he'd be one of the best in the game. As it stands, he's merely "The best at my newbie levels, since I don't have anyone at 40 anyhow."

That said, what I really, BADLY, want is some Classic Storm blue covers. I am in love with Classic Storm and feel she's probably going to be one of the centerpieces of my team when I have to graduate to two/three stars.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Yeah. Im finding Rags ability to generate green tiles to basically be one of the strongest abilities in the game. Aside from the crazy crit cascades, It gives him great synergy when paired with other green characters. Grey widow is currently my Ragnarok battle buddy and it is very insane. I can also definitely see wolvie, possibly hulk, and even thor's green abilities matching up pretty well.

Take rags+storm and boosts, never let enemies have more than one turn ever again...

Add Daken for bonus never letting anyone else get a turn.

Wolverine is great if you're not taking boosts, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Yeah. Im finding Rags ability to generate green tiles to basically be one of the strongest abilities in the game.

It's a little frustrating at just how powerful Ragnarok seems to be whenever I fight the AI versions. Even the ~45 ones have a chance of cascading like mad and taking 5 minute turns. I'm saving up for 1250 HP, and with Spiderman at 5 blue, I'm thinking my only real choice is bringing my Ragnarok to 2/0, 2/1 with the free cover I get in a week or so. My IM40 is at 2/2/2, and my Hulk is at 5/1/2, so both are much closer to being playable over my Thorverine, and hell, I'd rather boost my 1/0 Doctor Doom because I like Doctor Doom... I had no idea who Ragnarok was before this game. But it seems like none of those guys are anywhere near as strong as Ragnarok would be with double boost.

e: What on earth are you guys doing with your Magneto Now covers? I don't like the +3 AP on level 5 red, but I don't like the timer increases on level 4-5 blue. I think I'd keep him at 3/5/4 ideally, but then you lose some levels. 4/5/4 and suck up the 3-turn countdown on blue? Or 3/5/5 and just have giant, expensive red bombs?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 6, 2014

Shroud
May 11, 2009
How does the matching work for events, like the current doubleshot one?

This is my roster:

This is one of the opponents that I was matched with:

What on earth makes the system think that would be a remotely close fight? Or is it just random?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Phenotype posted:

e: What on earth are you guys doing with your Magneto Now covers? I don't like the +3 AP on level 5 red, but I don't like the timer increases on level 4-5 blue. I think I'd keep him at 3/5/4 ideally, but then you lose some levels. 4/5/4 and suck up the 3-turn countdown on blue? Or 3/5/5 and just have giant, expensive red bombs?
I guess 4/5/4 is more versatile but I went 3/5/5 because I intend to use him exclusively was a blue recharge buddy for Spidey, IM40, and any other blue characters. Also its worth noting that the red bomb generates AP while the blue doesn't.

Also in my experience matchmaking is pretty freakin random so get used to mashing SKIP until you find someone worthy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Shroud posted:

How does the matching work for events, like the current doubleshot one?

What on earth makes the system think that would be a remotely close fight? Or is it just random?

It's random, but with a certain amount of matchmaking as well; I'm pretty sure as you place highly in tournaments, you tend to see and be visible to other players who placed highly. My account doesn't usually see the level 1s anymore, and I tend to get all 85/85 Wolverine/Thor teams once I've beaten the first couple matches in a tournament. I am just now starting to see the occasional leveled 3 star character, too.

That said, the team you're looking at is a pretty newb team, too. Thor is a reward from prologue missions, and the other two are base-level 2 and 3 stars, which means the guy got lucky popping a Standard pack or something, but can't level them and only has one skill. Thor's the only one with any ISO poured into him, and level 19 is easily attainable with a day of Hulk missions. Honestly, I think you may be spreading your ISO a little too thin. You tend to want a single high level character over a bunch of similarly-leveled ones, because you're going to want your tanky Iron Man to be absorbing most of the hits over your squishy Black Widow. I'd focus on leveling Iron Man at first, and then BW and Storm, especially since you'll be drowning in covers for them. I got my Iron Man to 25 or so before having enough Thor covers to swap over.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Phenotype posted:

It's random, but with a certain amount of matchmaking as well; I'm pretty sure as you place highly in tournaments, you tend to see and be visible to other players who placed highly. My account doesn't usually see the level 1s anymore, and I tend to get all 85/85 Wolverine/Thor teams once I've beaten the first couple matches in a tournament. I am just now starting to see the occasional leveled 3 star character, too.

That said, the team you're looking at is a pretty newb team, too. Thor is a reward from prologue missions, and the other two are base-level 2 and 3 stars, which means the guy got lucky popping a Standard pack or something, but can't level them and only has one skill. Thor's the only one with any ISO poured into him, and level 19 is easily attainable with a day of Hulk missions. Honestly, I think you may be spreading your ISO a little too thin. You tend to want a single high level character over a bunch of similarly-leveled ones, because you're going to want your tanky Iron Man to be absorbing most of the hits over your squishy Black Widow. I'd focus on leveling Iron Man at first, and then BW and Storm, especially since you'll be drowning in covers for them. I got my Iron Man to 25 or so before having enough Thor covers to swap over.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is scummy as gently caress.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Hahahahaha, I would love to see the activity on the store over the next week of events.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

What should hulk's green and red be at? I'm maxing out the black passive, and am leaning 5/3/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, update just dropped. Now you can finally shield your points in a tournament...if you pay HP. It's actually cheap -- 50 HP for 3 hours, 100 for 8, and 200 for 1 day, and it breaks if you attack someone else, which stops it from being seriously abusable, but I'm afraid of what it's going to do for tournaments. It seems like people who can afford to spend a lot of HP will be able to climb the highest by constantly grinding and then buying a new shield, and it seems like optimal strategy will be to play late at night when less people are on, and buy shields for the rest of the time.