Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Just dinged 15 on my ranger. Nybright sisters are getting a little slow...are rangers still the red-headed stepchildren of groups? Wondering if I should head to Unrest or Upper Guk for the next 5-7 levels. Which dungeon would I be more effective in?

Rangers have a lot of issues in kunark and do get better in velious but most likely will still be stigmatized. The first issue is skill caps which don't affect you until lvl 51. They only get 200 max defense while warriors, monks, and rogues get 252. You can tank just fine in group content until 51 if you are decently twinked, however, if people will give you a chance. This can let you get groups more often. The second issue is dps, monks get better weapon ratios and flying kick does much more damage than kick. This causes Rangers to be worse than monk dps and on par with warriors though warriors might be better since I believe they can triple attack at this point and Rangers cannot. The third issue is they don't get good nukes to weave between auto attacks until after velious. This makes a two hander pretty necessary as you can get the lvl 50 nuke in between attacks for extra dps.

That said, you can be an asset to a group if you have very good situational awareness. Flame lick is the best aggro in the game, Rangers on live still used it to at least lvl 90. With the crazy aggro and root you can do some great CCing and make sure the Cleric and chanter survive. You and Paladins are the only ones who can keep twink epiced rogues safe as well. Do things like spot heal between pulls and snare everything so it doesn't run. Once you do a good job in a group, make sure to friend everyone and try to get a good rep going. Rangers need to do more work on the social side than other classes.

Velious gives them some nice tools. The skill cap issue gets fixed, they get group ATK buffs and some self weapon proc buffs. The best thing is at lvl 22 they get fear animal which makes them good soloers since there are tons of animals to fear from 22 on.

For your last question, I'd do unrest since generally more people are there then mistmoore next. They are both outdoor zones which lets you pull and use camo until you get improved camo.

Ranger effortposts are my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

GIMpy12 posted:

Honestly I have a untwinked rogue im slowly leveling and I love it. My mainhand is a jagged chokidai spine (100PP) and if im hastened I can still pull aggro if I start backstabbing early. Ragebringer is a waste early on unless you have a pally buddy to root tank otherwise you're going to be tanking for sure.

I got a Rapier of Orion (or something like that) and a Crystaline Short Sword on my level 18 rogue and even without backstabs I'm stealing aggro from every tank. The only exception was a good SK I had once but even then I was still tanking 25% of the time without BS.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

hayden. posted:

I got a Rapier of Orion (or something like that) and a Crystaline Short Sword on my level 18 rogue and even without backstabs I'm stealing aggro from every tank. The only exception was a good SK I had once but even then I was still tanking 25% of the time without BS.

Someone in your group should be able to root, just make them root every mob and have the tank stand closest.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

online as pokest in EC looking for an invite.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Maed posted:

For your last question, I'd do unrest since generally more people are there then mistmoore next. They are both outdoor zones which lets you pull and use camo until you get improved camo.
Yep, and once you get harmony at 22 you can be quite useful as a puller in the outdoor "dungeons" as well. Unrest/Highkeep/Mistmoore/CoM are your friends.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
If anyone wants to give me a port from FoB to Nektulos and an invis, I just died after doing my Red Wine turn ins to some roaming cocksucker NPC on unaffected faction :(

The worst part is I had invis pots still but after 4 bags of turn ins I couldn't even think straight. Will be around most of the day as Vallisk, or edit this post later if I make another character to tool around on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone know if neckbeard (manstache) from EQMac plays here?

Also, is <unknown> still the guild name you guys are running under? Haven't seen anyone online for the last few days. Currently a level 11 rogue stabbing poo poo in the back.

Even with the 25% bonus, leveling is still sooo slow! Luckily, someone in the EC Tunnel took pitty on me and gave me the jagged chokdai spine and a few other pieces of banded.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Look for /who all 'unknown guild'

Needs the quotes. I haven't seen many people on recently during the times I play.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hayden. posted:

Look for /who all 'unknown guild'

Needs the quotes. I haven't seen many people on recently during the times I play.

Cool thanks. Gonna jump on now and see about an invite.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What's your char name? Logging in to invite you

edit: nvm i see you got one

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 31, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

For anyone that hasn't been following the raid discussions - a group of guild leaders/officers and staff began discussing the different raid proposals last night. A new Raid Discussion forum was setup on the p1999 forums for guild leaders and officers to hash out these plans between themselves, without the rest of the server weighing in and bloating/bogging the conversations down. A few of the different ideas that have been tossed around are:

1. Bag limits on raid mobs (so guilds are forced to prioritize throughout the month).
2. A rotation for half of the month and competition for the other half of the month.
3. A tiered system where TMO/FE/IB are all Tier A and everyone else is Tier B. Some mobs alternate between Tier A & Tier B rules after each spawn.
4. Tokens to spawn raid mobs at the time of each guilds choosing (not really sure if anyone took this proposal seriously).

It seems like #3 is currently gaining the most traction, as Rogean proposed his own set of raid rules that mirrors and tweaks this approach. I personally think this is the correct direction to take the discussion, because each tier is guaranteed mobs and each tier gets to work out rules for their spawns. There would also be a clear way for guilds to go from Tier B to Tier A, if they choose (something along the lines of a kill in VP or reaching a certain number of VP keyed characters).

If it was my choice, I'd remove the repop bag limit from Rogeans proposal (with a Tier A agreement to not go after lower priority mobs for X# of hours) and remove the 3 hour lockout for Tier A spawns. High priority target (always Tier A rules) would be VP/Trak/VS/CT, low priority targets (alternate between Tier A & Tier B rules) would be Sev/Tal/Gore/Naggy/Vox/Inny/Fay/Draco.

We'll probably see some rules established within the next few days, because the entire server goes on a raid suspension tonight until this is resolved.

ohno fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2014

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think part of the problem is just EQ's bastard rear end in a top hat design combined with how stale poo poo is on an emulated server, further compounded by the lack of needing to pay for more accounts.

The problem with a straight up tier progression currently is epics. Even the bestestest guild will want to go back and get epics for people, even though gear-wise they can get great stuff from VP (ignoring min-maxing must BIS everything whining).

I'll be glad when the Hate/Fear revamps go out, so epics won't play as big into the issue.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Messing around EC as a human monk. Name is Inyku, can anyone throw me a guild invite to <unknown guild>?

I would /who 'unknown guild' but apparently I can't type apostrophes in chat.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Goast posted:

Messing around EC as a human monk. Name is Inyku, can anyone throw me a guild invite to <unknown guild>?

I would /who 'unknown guild' but apparently I can't type apostrophes in chat.

Quotes works "unknown guild"

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Nothing on that key works. My backslash key also types ] and my ] key types [.

I have no idea what would cause this.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Velious really will alleviate pretty much all of these problems for a while with the obscene amount of content that will open up.

However, I like that the raid scene will be opening up for people that currently don't want to take part in the beast that it has become. I would like to see some effort put forth from the guilds who haven't really raided before to earn their shots at Trak, VS, CT, and Inny, but who knows how this will all shake out.

I personally like the plan that Sloan suggested, but I do admit that I'm biased.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I'm almost of the opinion that they should leave things be as the WILD WEST and occasionally pull a secret shopper and ban everyone caught gameshitting. I feel that would discourage a lot of the behavior that the beta, delta, and gamma players decry.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Jeez-o-weez. Reading through the raid discussion threads is reminiscent of the founding fathers hammering out the constitution.

A bit whinier.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

moolchaba posted:

Jeez-o-weez. Reading through the raid discussion threads is reminiscent of the founding fathers hammering out the constitution.

A bit whinier.

Taking part in the discussions/ being involved in the vent conversations has made me want to slam my head in the door.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They wanted to force the guilds to make an agreement, but without:

-an arbiter to lead the discussion
-reducing the number of vocal participants (only 1 voice per guild at most)
-removing the GMs from weighing in (Sirken seriously has no place, and he's power tripping badly and basically trolling people who disagree with him, he's terrible - he even trolls other GMs/ex-GMs)

It will continue to be a shitshow.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Wasn't the ice level supposed to be out by 2014?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

xZAOx posted:

(Sirken seriously has no place, and he's power tripping badly and basically trolling people who disagree with him, he's terrible - he even trolls other GMs/ex-GMs)

Yeah. He always been a zerg endorser suggesting other guilds go tit for tat with the socking guilds. Snarky nerd gently caress at that.

Rog and Nil share the blame for the state of things on the server, it's been like this for well over a year now. I wonder what special event suddenly inspired rog to be so proactive on this?

It's all still very weird, so it should be interesting to see how things are in 2-3 months from now.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Elephunk posted:

Wasn't the ice level supposed to be out by 2014?

They were trying to get Velious done for the holidays but it looks like they didn't. No one should be surprised. I would guess the beta server will go up soon after they get the new raid rules sorted.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

They were trying to get Velious done for the holidays but it looks like they didn't. No one should be surprised. I would guess the beta server will go up soon after they get the new raid rules sorted.

Didn't Rogean's rant say "beta in a few months"? So I'd guess beta Velious around March or April. Maybe launch in the summer.

Anyways, after a week of in depth discussion, and Rogean constantly saying other things, Sirken decided that the new raid rules are FFA everything, but with 3-4 server repops a month. On the first and second server repops, tier 2 guilds only may engage. The only other things of note are Naggy and Vox are off-limits for tier 1 except during server repops, and competing in VP puts you in tier 1.

So all that work and discussion for nothing. The T1 guilds promised to play nice, and we got regular server repops. It's better, sure, but not at all what Rogean was talking about.

In other news - I made a baby bard and did all the lambent quests this weekend. Boy is that gear crappy! But blue is purdy.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I'm really surprised to see the lack of any real change after all of this chest beating about changing the raid scene/rules. If the 3-4 repops per month reset the spawn timers, we are going to have an effective Tier 2 rotation for the first half of the month, and then a bunch of mobs with synced up spawn windows later in the month. If the 3-4 repops per month do not reset the spawn timers, we are going to see many more raid mobs downed per month (probably a good thing, other than to the economy). It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in-game.

edit: Other things that have changed are perma-bans for people that train on purpose (i.e. an increase in FrapQuesting to screw the other side) and a promise to attempt arbitration between guilds (i.e. a call for less PetitionQuesting).

Overall, I think this whole exercise is a net loss for the server. More would have been accomplished if Rogean had just sat TMO/FE/IB down and said "Hey guys, please find a way to help the 'Tier 2' guilds get raid fun/experience/loot/etc." and then stuck in additional repops (with the same play nice request) as a bonus.

ohno fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 6, 2014

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

ohno posted:

Overall, I think this whole exercise is a net loss for the server. More would have been accomplished if Rogean had just sat TMO/FE/IB down and said "Hey guys, please find a way to help the 'Tier 2' guilds get raid fun/experience/loot/etc." and then stuck in additional repops (with the same play nice request) as a bonus.

Yep.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
hey guys lets get this content down because it hasn't been downed yet

oh wait

we did it first !!!

fuckin casuals ruin everything

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pretty hard to not just roffle about the current state. Rogean needs to get his house in order - it's obvious he's appointed staff that he's at odds with.

Either let them run it however they want, or he needs to boot them.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

Pretty hard to not just roffle about the current state. Rogean needs to get his house in order - it's obvious he's appointed staff that he's at odds with.

Either let them run it however they want, or he needs to boot them.

He seriously undercut Sirken with that and it will be hard to take him at face value for anything anymore.

3 of the 4 (Rog, Nilbog, Deru, and Sirken) agreed on something (I assume it was Rog that disagreed, hence what he has done). It seems nothing will be "enacted" without Rog's consent (which is completely legit, it is his server after all). He should have just made that clear to his staff that basically whatever he wanted/ wants goes so they didn't make themselves look like a bunch of jabronis.

Let the slap fights continue!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Funkutron5000 posted:

He seriously undercut Sirken with that and it will be hard to take him at face value for anything anymore.

3 of the 4 (Rog, Nilbog, Deru, and Sirken) agreed on something (I assume it was Rog that disagreed, hence what he has done). It seems nothing will be "enacted" without Rog's consent (which is completely legit, it is his server after all). He should have just made that clear to his staff that basically whatever he wanted/ wants goes so they didn't make themselves look like a bunch of jabronis.

Let the slap fights continue!

So what happened? At work and can't check the forums.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sirken posted a new set of raid rules a few days ago and lifted the server-wide suspension on raiding.

Then Rogean shows up and posts that NOPE, not everyone agreed to those (i.e. him, he was busy at work and presumably MIA from the forums/PMs/emails) so they aren't going to stick and the discussion and server-wide raid suspension will continue.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
They did a pretty good job removing morons from staff over the last couple years. No clue how Sirken slipped through.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I didn't think the agreement posted by Sirken was really that great either, but in fairness to him, it's not like he came up with it all by himself. His taking action without Rogean's approval is actually a good quality in a lead GM. Rogean will go MIA for weeks at a time without notice, and nobody wants zero-raiding to go on any longer than it has to.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

aparmenideanmonad posted:

nobody wants zero-raiding to go on any longer than it has to.

I'm cool with it. This is hilarious.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Stupid druids and their stupid quadding of all the hill giants in Rathe Mountains. Go away! :argh:

(This must be my taste of things to come...)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Harettazetta posted:

This is sad. I just want to chill in Velk's and play casual EQ again and all these raid sperglords are delaying my fun.

edit: Like, it really matters this much who gets to kill Cazic-Thule this month? We're talking about 15 year old raid bosses with not even that great loot considering the limitations of the EQ system. Spergs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Harettazetta posted:

Ditto.

Elephunk posted:

This is sad. I just want to chill in Velk's and play casual EQ again and all these raid sperglords are delaying my fun.

edit: Like, it really matters this much who gets to kill Cazic-Thule this month? We're talking about 15 year old raid bosses with not even that great loot considering the limitations of the EQ system. Spergs.

No, they're not? Velious isn't delayed because of this.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

lol I just noticed this on the OP. Look at who it is on the 3rd to last picture!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, he used to make mad cash pulling Skyfire AE and letting people sit in group for XP. I was semi-AFK waiting to loot a book for epic in that screenshot :D

PS, send me some screenshots people, I know you have them. Just post them in the thread or PM me if you want to be anon.

EDIT: Added that to the first post, if you want to leave it in your post you should prob make it smaller.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Bunch of neckbeards sitting around outside of VP at the end of the recent raid suspension - before Rogean undercut Sirken.

Edit - thanks for the heads up.

ohno fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread