Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Hammers.

After I get done with spears tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll make a compilation with everything as it's proper color for ore tiers, and then I'll get to working on armor.

I love love LOVE the idea of bashing someone over the head with an Ionic Column!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yikes, ok, thanks a lot. I'll try it out later on when I play again

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

sector_corrector posted:

Also, when does holiday spirit stop dropping? I need a lot of pixels right now, and I feel it's taking up volume that could be replaced by pixels.

Is there an easier way to get pixels other than exploring and killing stuff?

Holiday spirit can be converted into pixels at the Christmas table or whatever it's called. There's "small suspicious present" and "large suspicious present" that you can craft for two and three holiday spirit respectively, they're presents that when placed hop up and down and can be killed just like any other creature, and they drop pixels. The loot they spawn is based on where you place them, not where you craft them, so you can craft them on a Sector Alpha planet and then take them to a Sector X planet and get a LOT more pixels and better loot that way.

Once you build the Refinery, you can convert ore to pixels at varying rates, one copper makes five pixels, one diamond ore makes 100 pixels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Darksaber posted:

According to Tiy on Twitter, Starbound has now crossed the 1 million copies sold point. Congrats to them! Now how long before we see Starbound posters at Walmart. (I saw a Terraria one there when I was Christmas shopping and it seriously blew my mind)

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. I knew it would be big because Terraria is big but I didn't expect it to get that big that fast. Congratulations Chucklefish on Starbound being a massive success. It feels good to see nice people make a great game and be well rewarded for it. :feelsgood:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Well, Starbound is like, the most hyped game ever. :v:

But seriously, that's awesome and it shows that you don't need AAA graphics or budget to make a great game. Go indie game developers! :woop:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Think of all the blow the devs could snort off a hookers rear end with a million copies sold. When I play the Austin Powers theme on some steel drums I raided from an Apex village I think "Yeah, they deserve every cent"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You aren't traveling through space correctly unless you play the Doctor Who theme between FTL jumps. :colbert:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Starhawk64 posted:

You aren't traveling through space correctly unless you play the Doctor Who theme between FTL jumps. :colbert:

If you hit a wormhole between jumps, then this is appropriate. Not just for Hyper-speed. :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Starhawk64 posted:

What the hell is a doctor Who?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Malek posted:

If you hit a wormhole between jumps, then this is appropriate. Not just for Hyper-speed. :colbert:

Oh, then Star Trek is more appropriate then. :v:

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
I remember a while ago seeing video of members from the yogscast playing Starbound and thought it looked really unfun and boring. I got it on sale from steam and I'm playing it now more than WOW. And the amount of mods I have in it is just crazy. Why yes, I love that my matter manipulator looks like a sonic screwdriver and my ship is the satellite of love from mst3k!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Is there a database on songs to download?

Also, are the racial armor bonuses implemented?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Rutkowski posted:

Is there a database on songs to download?

Also, are the racial armor bonuses implemented?

Check the OP for a couple.

Not yet.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Starhawk64 posted:

Well, Starbound is like, the most hyped game ever. :v:

Star Citizen will forever hold that title for all time.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Malek posted:

If you hit a wormhole between jumps, then this is appropriate. Not just for HyperLudicrous-speed. :colbert:
:colbert:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Ablative posted:

Check the OP for a couple.

Not yet.
Holy poo poo it's the same system as LotRO?

For reference, I used to play this song all the time in LotRO:
http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/s/8572

EDIT: Apparently, fatlute have lost the files and now only have the sheets. How do I convert a sheet into a .abc file for use? Cause I got an 80's electrical guitar(a classic axe) for my glitch who totally should roll this song, he even got the motherland hat.

EDIT2: I'm dumb nevermind.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 7, 2014

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Rutkowski posted:

EDIT: Apparently, fatlute have lost the files and now only have the sheets. How do I convert a sheet into a .abc file for use? Cause I got an 80's electrical guitar(a classic axe) for my glitch who totally should roll this song, he even got the motherland hat.

I think you can just copy that into a text file and label it as an .abc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

I remember a while ago seeing video of members from the yogscast playing Starbound and thought it looked really unfun and boring

Sounds about right

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok.....

So I just logged back onto Starbound to play for a bit, and the game is totally hosed. I don't spawn in the ship anymore, I spawn above it in space and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get back on

Another weird thing is that I can still beam down to a planet, but it's not the last planet I was on. I made it to the fourth "sector" or whatever, and I was back on a planet in the third one....

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do to fix this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Duro posted:

Ok.....

So I just logged back onto Starbound to play for a bit, and the game is totally hosed. I don't spawn in the ship anymore, I spawn above it in space and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get back on

Another weird thing is that I can still beam down to a planet, but it's not the last planet I was on. I made it to the fourth "sector" or whatever, and I was back on a planet in the third one....

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do to fix this

There's a character wipe coming in the next patch so it won't matter.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a character wipe coming in the next patch so it won't matter.

Yeah, but I still wanted to play in the meantime. This essentially breaks the game for me because I can't access anything in the ship, including the navigation panel to go to another planet. I'm either stuck in space or on a planet I already explored and gutted for its minerals.....

I guess if the patch happens soon, I'll just re-install, but I was still having fun with it....

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Duro posted:

Yeah, but I still wanted to play in the meantime. This essentially breaks the game for me because I can't access anything in the ship, including the navigation panel to go to another planet. I'm either stuck in space or on a planet I already explored and gutted for its minerals.....

I guess if the patch happens soon, I'll just re-install, but I was still having fun with it....
Your ship is stored in \Starbound\player\LONG-rear end-HEX-STRING.shipworld so you can delete that if you don't mind losing your ship.

If you have multiple characters, play the broken character a little bit then save and quit and check the Date Modifieds of all the files in there so you can find out which is your LONG-rear end-HEX-STRING. :)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Duro posted:

There are others who've had this problem, so you could probably find a thread for it on the official forums. If that doesn't lead anywhere, try joining a multiplayer server and beaming to another person's ship, then back to your own. Or, try backing up your ship file then deleting it and seeing what happens.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

I remember a while ago seeing video of members from the yogscast playing Starbound and thought it looked really unfun and boring.

It's really not a spectator game in the slightest, but there's something immensely satisfying about exploring a unique universe and carving out your own little corner of it.

If they even implement half of the things on their 'to do' list, including their roadmap, it's going to be a loving phenomenal piece of work. The highly modular nature of it all will likely lead to some amazing mods later on too, especially if they manage to implement auto-downloads from servers.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Dominic White posted:

It's really not a spectator game in the slightest, but there's something immensely satisfying about exploring a unique universe and carving out your own little corner of it.

If they even implement half of the things on their 'to do' list, including their roadmap, it's going to be a loving phenomenal piece of work. The highly modular nature of it all will likely lead to some amazing mods later on too, especially if they manage to implement auto-downloads from servers.

I didnt see mention of it, but is there any plan to do dedicated servers for multiplayer?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

I remember a while ago seeing video of members from the yogscast playing Starbound and thought it looked really unfun and boring.

Yeah, I heard that a lot of the 'early' streamers ended up basically making it look boring because it took them forever to get through the first tier. :jerkbag:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

XboxPants posted:

There are others who've had this problem, so you could probably find a thread for it on the official forums. If that doesn't lead anywhere, try joining a multiplayer server and beaming to another person's ship, then back to your own. Or, try backing up your ship file then deleting it and seeing what happens.

I search on google but couldn't find much, the only thing I found said to restart the game but that didn't work. How do I back up my my ship file?

I tried multiplayer servers but it did nothing. Any time I beam to my ship with this character, he's just in space like 10 invisible spaces above my spaceship.....

I hope I don't have to resort to making a reddit account just to trouble shoot. I started a new character just to test and it works fine....It's really just tied to that one character and/or ship

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~

E-Tank posted:

Yeah, I heard that a lot of the 'early' streamers ended up basically making it look boring because it took them forever to get through the first tier. :jerkbag:

You know what that's exactly it! I went back and re-watched it and it was just so slow because they were just tossed onto a planet and just told to explore and etc.

Oh, so copper can repair diamond pickaxes? That seems a bit.....cheaty?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

I search on google but couldn't find much, the only thing I found said to restart the game but that didn't work. How do I back up my my ship file?

I tried multiplayer servers but it did nothing. Any time I beam to my ship with this character, he's just in space like 10 invisible spaces above my spaceship.....

I hope I don't have to resort to making a reddit account just to trouble shoot. I started a new character just to test and it works fine....It's really just tied to that one character and/or ship

That's happened to me. I basically had to delete the .shipworld file associated with the save and lost all the stuff in my ship. :( I don't know of any way to fix it without doing that.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

You know what that's exactly it! I went back and re-watched it and it was just so slow because they were just tossed onto a planet and just told to explore and etc.

Higher tier ores just seem to repair a higher % of damage per ore (ie. instead of 5-6 copper ore you can do a full repair with 1-2 gold).

By the time you have a Diamond pickaxe the early scarcity issues you have should be over, so it didn't feel too cheaty to me to just throw a few copper at it every so often.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

xxEightxx posted:

I didnt see mention of it, but is there any plan to do dedicated servers for multiplayer?

There's already dedicated servers, since day 1.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

Wait- you can repair pick axes?! How do you do that?!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Left click on some ore in your inventory and then right click on your pickaxe.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Was that explained in game at all? That is definitely something that should've been explained in game (and before I crafted a whole bunch more pickaxes...)

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
So, my Avian found a saxophone, and they were really excited to play it. Tragically, the exact second they started playing, and asteroid fell from the heavens and landed right on them. They were killed instantly.

The second time they tried playing it, the game crashed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mister Bung posted:

Was that explained in game at all? That is definitely something that should've been explained in game (and before I crafted a whole bunch more pickaxes...)

I do not believe it explains this no. Also a lot of confusion (such as my own) is trying to fix your first pickaxe early and failing, wondering what is going wrong, and nobody pointing out YOU CANT FIX A STONE PICKAXE. Only the ones past stone.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I played a little Starbound recently and I've got to ask, how deep is the gameplay? I established myself as head badass of the planet I landed on within a few minutes thanks to finding a not-awful weapon, and it quickly became apparent that every enemy around was more or less the same difficulty level.

Do I need to dig deeper, is the tutorial planet just super easy, or does the game's difficulty reallt plateau off that soon?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ThirdEmperor posted:

I played a little Starbound recently and I've got to ask, how deep is the gameplay? I established myself as head badass of the planet I landed on within a few minutes thanks to finding a not-awful weapon, and it quickly became apparent that every enemy around was more or less the same difficulty level.

Do I need to dig deeper, is the tutorial planet just super easy, or does the game's difficulty reallt plateau off that soon?

You are on Tier one.

There is a Tier 10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Help me goons, for as much as I loved (and still love) Terraria I'm having a hard time maintaining focus and interest in this game. Maybe it's because it doesn't run super smooth on my laptop (likely due to its non-optimized beta state), or maybe it's the constant character resets, but three or four times now I've gotten to the point where I build a little wooden hovel for my dude, craft a few tools, and then immediately find myself playing something else. I don't know if it's the lack pre-established underground tunnels, or the slower feel of movement compared to Terraria, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mister Bung posted:

Section Z posted:

I do not believe it explains this no.
Doesn't it say this explicitly in the ore descriptions?

• Locked thread