Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Do we know the pool of characters that a Double Shot token draws from? Is it just Magneto Modern, Bullseye, and IM40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Meh, I say we have to wait and see how many people actually bother with shields before we jump to any conclusions.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Welp. I'm done playing this seriously now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mr. Met posted:

Do we know the pool of characters that a Double Shot token draws from? Is it just Magneto Modern, Bullseye, and IM40?

I got a Daken.
~~~
I also loving lost three fights in a row because the opening salvo of the computer's move NEVER loving STOPPED. Seriously. One guy had my exact team, 20 levels lower.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Meh, I say we have to wait and see how many people actually bother with shields before we jump to any conclusions.

I'm willing to bet to get any serious top five you're going to pretty much have to. There really aren't even slacker brackets now, I forgot to join the tournament last night until 16 minutes were left, my first fight put me in 37th place (meaning a new bracket was just formed) and after my second fight I was dropped to 150, and had to fight constantly just to make top twenty.

The short boost seems cheap enough that I will be surprised if we don't end up seeing mostly locked top tens, especially since that will pay for the lock with HP anyways.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looks like they upped the duration on the shields by the way. 50 for 8 hours, 100 for a day, 200 for 3 days.

Still seems like a lovely idea to me though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

haha paying money to "protect" your rating is the most loving cash-grab scumbag poo poo move possible. These guys are going to make a mint from their whales.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Hmm yea, it seems like instead of fixing an existing broken mechanic they're just trying to make a quick buck off of it by applying a little F2P band-aid, when in reality the entire system needs to be redesigned. But im still hoping that in practice, it won't actually be as bad as it seems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

This is scummy as gently caress.

Wow what the gently caress is this. This is not how you fix things :argh:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

rabidsquid posted:

I'm willing to bet to get any serious top five you're going to pretty much have to. There really aren't even slacker brackets now, I forgot to join the tournament last night until 16 minutes were left, my first fight put me in 37th place (meaning a new bracket was just formed) and after my second fight I was dropped to 150, and had to fight constantly just to make top twenty.

The short boost seems cheap enough that I will be surprised if we don't end up seeing mostly locked top tens, especially since that will pay for the lock with HP anyways.

I think this might be the way to go from now on, though. I don't usually join tournaments until less than 8 hours to go anyway, so I'm not sure how much it'll affect me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If I actually cared about placing high in tournaments rather than just grabbing the handful of cover tokens you get for reaching the first few score "miletones", I'd probably be pretty pissed about that.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Mr. Met posted:

It's any 2 Star or better character with a higher than normal chance of IM40.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

Spikey posted:

It's any 2 Star or better character with a higher than normal chance of IM40.

So naturally, when I rolled the dice I got the most "Ironclad" character in the roster. Bagman.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

McDragon posted:

Looks like they upped the duration on the shields by the way. 50 for 8 hours, 100 for a day, 200 for 3 days.

It varies per event.
Double-shot is the one posted. You're looking at S.H.I.E.L.D Training.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Call Me Charlie posted:

So in theory if the top 25 guys in a bracket all shielded during the final hours of an event and you're #26, you're probably screwed? It would be extremely hard to move up the bracket because you wouldn't be able to score points very efficiently attacking people with lower scores than you. Am I understanding this correctly?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Merrill Grinch posted:

So in theory if the top 25 guys in a bracket all shielded during the final hours of an event and you're #26, you're probably screwed? It would be extremely hard to move up the bracket because you wouldn't be able to score points very efficiently attacking people with lower scores than you. Am I understanding this correctly?

Well, I think your potential matches draw from EVERYONE playing, not just the people in your 500-man bracket. But I suppose if the top 25 in each bracket usually shield themselves, it might be harder to find high-level opponents?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
While the language suggests otherwise, I think the only way this can really work is by locking your points at a certain level, not your rank. It'll be interesting if you're still able to be attacked while protected. It could effectively raise the ceiling for progression rewards if someone sprints 100 points ahead and throws on a shield; they instantly become a target for all the lower players and enable them to slingshot their scores that much higher.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Merrill Grinch posted:

Not necessarily. They're frozen in place, while you can still gain points. I'm assuming it works like this:

I (with 500) attack you (with 800, unshielded): I gain 25, you lose 35.
I (with 500) attack you (with 800, shielded): I gain 25, you lose 0.

So I can still overtake you if I keep playing the game and overcome the crabbing.

But wait! What if those top 25 use a shield, wait for the right opponents to show up, beat two or three people quickly and slap the shield back on?

Those who can afford to do that will win consistently. Those who can't, won't. That's why people are screaming.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's a scumbag move, and I say that as someone with over 7k HC sitting around.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Dev 1 - Grinding during the last hour to place high is pretty bad, guys, we have to fix it.
Dev 2 - Yep, players only have to poopsock it once and we don't even make a cent on that.
Dev 3 - I got it! Let's have them grind multiple times per event and buy "protection" from us between said grinding sessions. Hey, nice score you got there, be a shame if somethin' happened to it, y'know what I'm sayin' ? :lol:
Dev 1 & 2 - :signings:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

matryx posted:

It varies per event.
Double-shot is the one posted. You're looking at S.H.I.E.L.D Training.

Oh, that's pretty sneaky.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Hmm.. Will high-end SHIELD training progression rewards finally be achievable with shields?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I love this game / I hate this game. I finished the Hulk event yesterday by playing a 240 point match with <1 min to go and in the low 400s for rank (wanted <600 for Hulk). Woke up this morning, surprised to find out I was a top 1000.

At least I got 3 OBWs.

Where do you go to buy the shields? I know how to buy roster spots and covers, but not power-ups / shields.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 6, 2014

Shroud
May 11, 2009

BDawg posted:

I love this game / I hate this game. I finished the Hulk event yesterday by playing a 240 point match with <1 min to go and in the low 400s for rank (wanted <600 for Hulk). Woke up this morning, surprised to find out I was a top 1000.

At least I got 3 OBWs.

Where do you go to buy the shields? I know how to buy roster spots and covers, but not power-ups / shields.

Top left corner, blue + sign.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
You may not have the button if you haven't updated the game to the latest one. It didn't force the update for me, at least.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Hmm.. Will high-end SHIELD training progression rewards finally be achievable with shields?
Unless they drop like boosts then I doubt it. With drops it depends on how frequent they are.

Without drops it's a trickle down economy based on people who can beat the whales buying them. At best it might boost the majority of user's progression one or two prizes, but it would come at the price of basically shuttering the possibility of achieving a high rank prize without paying for it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The update broke the game on my phone and I no longer have an iPad to play on. :(

When I go to launch the game I get "Initialization Failed" then "Failed to laod system file (error 0). Please try reinstalling Marvel Puzzle Quest."

I've reinstalled twice now, restarted the phone, and tried moving it to the SD card and I keep getting the error. It leaves a process though, because I can go and kill the app in my app manager.

If I could get top whatever in the IM40 event I could finish my Spider-Man too. :argh:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Just started a couple weeks ago or so, I've got 4 lvl 20's and 5 more level 1-8's.
I've been holding off on using medpacks, because I usually just play at work and I can wait the hour if I need to, but, do they ever come back? I've got like 11 but I got them all in like the first few days and I haven't seen one since.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Quad posted:

Just started a couple weeks ago or so, I've got 4 lvl 20's and 5 more level 1-8's.
I've been holding off on using medpacks, because I usually just play at work and I can wait the hour if I need to, but, do they ever come back? I've got like 11 but I got them all in like the first few days and I haven't seen one since.

They refill every 35 minutes after you have fewer than 5 remaining. You don't really need them in the very early going, but by the time you have high-leveled characters you will use them constantly.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Just got my fifth Spider Man blue from randomly deciding to play the 500 ISO lottery! Today is a good day.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

zamin posted:

Just got my fifth Spider Man blue from randomly deciding to play the 500 ISO lottery! Today is a good day.

Grats! I paid the HC for my 5th one over the holiday since I had a lot of down time. It makes a huge difference.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

McDragon posted:

Not on my screen. I have the original durations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Looks like #2 in my bracket has shielded up - there's a little grey hexagon next to his ranking. #1 is still 100 points ahead and is clearly a maxed Rag/Magneto whale since he's dropped about 30 points in the last 6 hours despite the rest of the top 10 going from ~250 to ~450.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Deep Winter posted:

Not on my screen. I have the original durations.

Duration depends on the tournament apparently. They last longer for SHIELD Training.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Grats! I paid the HC for my 5th one over the holiday since I had a lot of down time. It makes a huge difference.

Thanks, brother. It's already a huge boost.

Top guy in Shield Training is currently over 1700. For over the last month or longer, top has been floating around 1300-1400. Either someone made a crazy push or the Shields are pushing the scores higher already. Hopefully it's the latter, then those top rewards might finally be attainable in a week or so.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I experienced a weird bug last weekend in which the Hulk missions didn't have mission text (they had placeholders instead), gave out Hawkeye Moderns, and were low-leveled. I played those a bit, got a bunch of Hawkeyes, then the next day the missions went back to normal. Pretty funny when half of the missions turned out Impossible on my difficulty rating (the rewards changed, too).

That was fun. Hawkeye Modern kinda suffers for targeting random tiles for countdowns, though...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still to early to tell, but it seems like shields will give better ledges to boost yourself up from since their value doesnt collapse when you hit them?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm really not a fan of the UI shifts. The information I care about is time left and my rank. Now it's on the bottom of the screen. I can tell that they want to advertise shields, but come on.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
That seems to be the case. Maybe the days are upon us when we can feasibly get those 1100 - 1400 progression rewards! In the past, the 1100 point ones were just outside of reach and were pretty drat good (Spidey blue, etc).

That's got to be one hard fall from the top when you get attacked that high though. Shields up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I fought my way up to 2nd with 609 points currently. I've followed the earlier advice and only gone after people with higher point values to ensure a point loss for them if they want to slap fight.

And oh, do some of these people not know when to stop a slap fight. :smug: