Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So y'all would recommend Resonance of Fate? It's one of the few 360 RPGs I haven't tried yet, and it's been around long enough that I'm sure I could find it for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

So y'all would recommend Resonance of Fate? It's one of the few 360 RPGs I haven't tried yet, and it's been around long enough that I'm sure I could find it for cheap.

Yes but it may help to look up a FAQ on the combat system. It's a bit poorly explained.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

CVagts posted:

Do you enjoy doing the same thing over and over and over again in battle forever and hoping you have the pieces you need to plop on the map so you can actually progress, all the meanwhile listening to people going "oh but the customization is SO WACKY and you can play DRESS-UP which is in no way a reason to look up a teenaged girl's skirt all day"?

Then yeah, knock yourself out.

Dross posted:

Is White Knight Chronicles worth owning now that the servers are gone?

Is it WKC2 and $15 or less? In that case it's a solid time waster, just be prepared to hate the "main character" as your avatar goofs around in the background of most cutscenes. You also won't really get to play around with the avatar's Knight at all since you get it very late in the game because it's mostly for using online. Best way to kill the final boss though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Do you enjoy doing the same thing over and over and over again in battle forever and hoping you have the pieces you need to plop on the map so you can actually progress, all the meanwhile listening to people going "oh but the customization is SO WACKY and you can play DRESS-UP which is in no way a reason to look up a teenaged girl's skirt all day"?

Then yeah, knock yourself out.

The customization options in RoF are actually fun and not for "you can look up a girl's skirt" reasons. There are a tone of clothing options for all the characters and a lot of them are surprisingly normal-looking clothes as opposed to insane anime bullshit. On the other hand if you actually want to go crazy you can stick your dudes in a speedo or a giant panda costume, and it is reflected in the game's cutscenes and combat. It's the kind of system where you can have everyone in Jeans and a T-Shirt, wacky Matrix trenchcoats and sunglasses, goofy power ranger suits or anything in-between.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 1, 2014

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

CVagts posted:

I never managed to finish it, but the gameplay is refreshing for a while until you figure out the One Strategy To Rule Them All. The story is also pretty good, has funny moments and the characters likeable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CVagts posted:

I loving love Resonance of Fate, but be forewarned that it is concentrated Tri-Ace inanity. This is the video that gets linked every time RoF gets brought up, but it's the best litmus test as to whether you'll like the game or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_sLMWE_6Uo

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kokoro Wish posted:

The story is also pretty good

What. RoF is the only RPG I've quit when already over 75% done because I still had no idea what was going on. No NPCs have any exposition except for those little vignettes between chapters that are all about people you haven't met. There IS a story going on but the player is, by and large, not a participant in it. What the player spends most of the game doing feels like the inane side quests of most RPGs' endgame, front loaded.

RoF left me feeling burned after how much time I spent on it. The SETTING of the game is superb. The STORY, however, is not. And as stated above the initially novel and fun combat system very much wears out its welcome when it becomes a chore to do later and every fight's strategy is the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

You're weird, dude.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Polsy posted:

Also I really want to repost this gif from the Games thread -

I prefer to interpret this as "gently caress you I'm gonna dance!" rather than "I'm every bit as dumb as the idiot mascot characters."

Also that little kid in blue is freaking ripped.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Those faces are the creepiest loving thing. It's like looking at "realistic" PS3 game like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time but a hundred times worse.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Those faces are the creepiest loving thing. It's like looking at "realistic" PS3 game like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time but a hundred times worse.

Its because they're using a pseudo realistic render style, the scene would appear to be motion captured, but the rigging on the models causes the anatomy to look really bizarre (look how high that kid in blue can kick). Lastly, perhaps most importantly, the expressions are completely static. What you get is a Chuckie vibe, where you watch some dolls with creepy smiles are dancing around on their own.

Its one reason I have had trouble being bothered with any RPGs this generation. Uncanny valley makes any of these fantasty stories really difficult to engage with, because the action or script tends to conflict with the render style. When the art style can't remain consistent and you get sort of janky animations, or static creepy expressions, things start to get weird and its difficult to tell if you're supposed to laugh or just feel a little bit scared.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I played Star Ocean: The Last Hope from start to (main storyline) finish and enjoyed myself most of the time.

I gave up on Infinite Undiscovery after the first dungeon. Like the part where you are running around in the dark woods and guards and poo poo are after you. Stopped thrre. This is due to a couple of my own problems, like active menus instead of time being paused, and the really lazy text. This is a 360 game and yet there was hardly any voiced dialog to start off with. With my eyesight, I could not read that poo poo before it went away.

Also from the....20 minutes I played, I didn't think it played like SO at all. Perhaps it was the lack of battle transitions and the menus being in real time or whatever you want to call it.

I might have been willing to stick at it but nothing in what I knew of the story interested me. I only tried it to try it and when I had no fun, I returned it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 3, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I bought Drakensang 2 and I really want to like it but I just can't get into the combat. It's tediously slow. Party AI seems to be kind of dumb too, they don't follow you until your're like 100 feet away already.

I was really wanting to get into another party based RPG too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mustang posted:

I bought Drakensang 2
There's your problem right there.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

NikkolasKing posted:

I gave up on Infinite Undiscovery after the first dungeon. Like the part where you are running around in the dark woods and guards and poo poo are after you. Stopped thrre. This is due to a couple of my own problems, like active menus instead of time being paused, and the really lazy text. This is a 360 game and yet there was hardly any voiced dialog to start off with. With my eyesight, I could not read that poo poo before it went away.

FWIW, I had way more fun with IU than I had with Star Ocean. For some weird reason, the first couple hours of that game were developed terribly, so that's where you see the worst dungeons and lack of voice acting. I feel like they originally had a different beginning to the game, but then decided at the last minute that it needed a change. I seem to recall reading reviews long ago that also mentioned how terrible the beginning is.

If you're hurting for a JRPG, it's a decent choice.

... and as annoying as those two kids were in IU, they're NOTHING compared to Lymle, who is the most terrible, creepy, and annoying character in anything ever. kaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 5, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

... and as annoying as those two kids were in IU, they're NOTHING compared to Lymle, who is the most terrible, creepy, and annoying character in anything ever. kaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

"Eeeedge, I wanna go nappy time with you, kaaaaaaay."

:barf:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's the beauty of Private Actions. You can skip that scene and almost every other scene with Lymle. For all the poo poo a lot of old SO fans give the game for having no optional party members, you are free to ignore all of them if you want.

I have completed five JRPGs in the past couple years (not counting replaying old ones) and of those five, The Last Hope takes third place after Final Fantasy IV and Baten Kaitos. In fourth comes FFXIII and in Worst Video Game I've Ever Played Place comes Till the End of Time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe you should start playing games that don't suck.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hey Baiten Kaitos is pretty good.

But yeah, that's a pretty crappy selection for several years worth of games. If you can play two Star Ocean games you can play Tales of Vesperia.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was misled. SO3 is a very popular game you know. I had no idea that, even if it sucked, it would be that level of awful.

And I forgot that people on here like to poo poo on Baten Kaitos too it seems. What a shame. I loving loved that game and not at all in a sort of ironic way like with SO4. I wuld hold Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean right up there with my favorite FF games.

Also I no longer have a 360 so no ToV.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno, I kind of like SO3. Yeah there's dumb garbage like MP Death, the story is stupid as all get out, most of the characters are awful (except Cliff), but.. I dunno. I find it fun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Star Ocean 3 has some kind of weird charisma. Normally I'll beat a game in around a month or less, any longer and I'll just gradually end up dropping it entirely. Except, even though Star Ocean 3 is objectively pretty bad, I kept coming back to it for like half a year until I finally beat it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

That's the beauty of Private Actions. You can skip that scene and almost every other scene with Lymle. For all the poo poo a lot of old SO fans give the game for having no optional party members, you are free to ignore all of them if you want. [...] Worst Video Game I've Ever Played Place comes Till the End of Time.

I'm not sure how you can hold these opinions at the same time. They sort of contradict each other.

You can skip some things in 4 so they can be as awful as they like. Who cares that it does nothing but act as creepy paedobait? It's optional so you don't like it, don't watch it.

You can skip every cutscene in 3 if you really hated them that much and the only uninteresting bits outside of cutscenes (filling out all those goddamn maps) are also optional and thus skippable but they don't get the same mercy because... I dunno, reasons?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't skip important cutscenes. PAs are completely optional though which was my point.

Why do I hate Star Ocean 3 while I do not hate Star Ocean 4?

Simple.

One game manages to tell a story that actually flows. It might be the worst goddam story in the history of human existence but at least the Beginning goes to the Middle which goes to the End. This is a concept a preschooler can manage.

yet the writers of Till the End of Time can't manage it. All the poo poo you do on Elicoor is utterly meaningless. Why did I meet a clone of Sophie, a character who somehow manages to be blander than FFIV's Rosa in spite of coming out two console gens later? Because you do. Why is she conveniently dying? Because she is. And now let's fight an evil empire by building a superweapon. Let's gather all the necessary matrials for that superweapon. Let's build up to a climactic battle.

And now aliens invaded. And they are jerks.

But wait, there they go, neverto be discussed again. now we fight new aliens.

Only they're not aliens. They're the Malwarebytes of the 4D Beings who created the MMo we all play in. And now we are in "the real world" fighting Lucifer.

Who deletes the universe but somehow the universe still exists.

Now, I remember slogging through so many lovely dungeons on the first disk of SO3. I remember going to get a dragon and backtracking and some stupid Disintegration mechanic. I remember wasting several hours of my life on doing all of this poo poo and ultimately it boils down to nothing. It has nothing to do with the real plot of the game.

The only connection is that the magic ball in one of the lovely dungeons was important. We didn't need not-Sophie dying of TB or whatever else just to increase the melodrama.

SO4 starts with the Grigori and ends with the Grigori. I appreciate that. I appreciate some goddam cohesion after the clusteruck of SO3's storytelling. The only part of SO4 that felt a bit out of place was the time travel and Roak but that all had to do with explaining Edge's character and also showing how SO4 is a prequel to SO1. So it still served a function, unlike building a superweapon that does nothing because we are fighting an enemy who are invalidated right at the climactic moment and who are then replaced by another enemy who get written out of the plot even faster than the first group of enemies.

So I loathe SO3 because it made me feel like I was wasting my life away. Which i guess I am but I have never had it so blatantly shoved in my face.

And I guess I also enjoyed the fact that SO4 actually let you explore the "star ocean" while SO3 had me trapped on a lovely stock fantasy setting for so long.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 6, 2014

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

That's a fair point. I think for most people, though, the difference is that the characters in 4 seem to be a lot worse. Coherent story or not, it's hard for me to go through a game if the characters are totally unlikable.

Not that 3 had good characters by any means, but they didn't make me seriously question the sanity of the writers behind them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Where did Revan get these "rad" pajamas?

(Kotor 1, Dark side aligned, no clothes or armors equipped). They look like they came straight out of a poorly made retex mod.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Radiant Historia a good game? What other DS rpgs are good (leaning more to strategic and difficult)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WYA posted:

Is Radiant Historia a good game? What other DS rpgs are good (leaning more to strategic and difficult)
Yeah, it's excellent. Interesting grid system that is really fun to break. Story's not bad either, all things considered (you have to manage two different timelines by jumping back and forth).

As for more difficult DS RPGs, my first thought was Devil Survivor.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It's kind of interesting. I like the time mechanic, but I feel they didn't really do enough with it. I don't regret playing it but wouldn't pick it up again in a million years, I guess.

It's definitely not strategic or difficult, though. You learn how to 'game' the combat system pretty early, and as you get more techniques and characters, it tends to just get easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some of the bosses, like the giant spiders, are a huge pain because you can't use Aht's traps. Anything else though it can get pretty hilarious how much damage you can rack up in a single turn.

It's definitely a game that could really use a sequel to flesh out the time travel gimmick a little more. A lot of it felt like a proof of concept attempt that could easily be refined into something really special.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I bought radiant of fate but feel frustrated with the battle system. It`;s obvious that I didnt get something but what?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

WYA posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, the main character is freakishly competent, and not just by JRPG standards.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Bleusilences posted:

I bought radiant of fate but feel frustrated with the battle system. It`;s obvious that I didnt get something but what?

Choose an enemy. Initiate a Heroic Attack with an SMG user on a line directly through the enemy (preferably intersecting a line between the other two party members). When you get near them, jump over them by pressing the heroic action button again. When your gauge maxes out (or when you're running out of air time) press the fire button to deal (probably) their entire HP gauge worth of scratch damage. Repeat with a pistol user to kill them.

Do this for every enemy for the first half of the game--until you get piercing ammo and enough gear/equipment points to dual wield.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, the main character is freakishly competent, and not just by JRPG standards.

This is probably the most refreshing thing about the game. It's nice to have a main character who doesn't gently caress everything up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Although it does make you feel a little inadequate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stocke is also 100% willing to shiv a dude without consideration if it comes to that. Sometimes too willing to shiv dudes considering he can go back in time to undo mistakes if he shivved the wrong dude.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Where did Revan get these "rad" pajamas?

(Kotor 1, Dark side aligned, no clothes or armors equipped). They look like they came straight out of a poorly made retex mod.

My Guess

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Well yeah it looks that way, but this was from a totally vanilla play through.

Unless Gamefly/D2D is hosting weird versions of the game.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I was misled. SO3 is a very popular game you know. I had no idea that, even if it sucked, it would be that level of awful.

And I forgot that people on here like to poo poo on Baten Kaitos too it seems. What a shame. I loving loved that game and not at all in a sort of ironic way like with SO4. I wuld hold Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean right up there with my favorite FF games.

Also I no longer have a 360 so no ToV.

Huh? I havent seen anyone poo poo on Baten Kaitos here. But I agree with you, it's a really unappreciated game. Probably the most fun ive had with a combat system in a RPG.

Plus it looked great at the time and the story was neat. Shame about the weird relationship mechanic with the player that would make the voice acting sound terrible at the start of the game. I remember that created a lot of criticism for the game when it was released.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

babypolis posted:

Huh? I havent seen anyone poo poo on Baten Kaitos here. But I agree with you, it's a really unappreciated game. Probably the most fun ive had with a combat system in a RPG.

Plus it looked great at the time and the story was neat. Shame about the weird relationship mechanic with the player that would make the voice acting sound terrible at the start of the game. I remember that created a lot of criticism for the game when it was released.

Baten Kaitos has aged amazingly well from a visual standpoint. I fired up my copy a month or so ago and I'd forgotton just how colorful and artistic the world looks! It's a bit on the slow side though and that's hard to get over (much like Xenogears) and the voice acting is pretty abysmal by today's standards, but yeah it's a hell of a game.