Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

:stonk:

That looks like it belongs in an aircraft, not a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012

tbb9 posted:

Am I understanding this correctly that he's turning a knob on that steering wheel mid corner?

I was wondering that myself. Seems unlikely?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't think that's going to fit

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Squeeze posted:

I was wondering that myself. Seems unlikely?

It looks like there's a separate switch for entry, mid corner and exit. So those three things are each set independently.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tbb9 posted:

Am I understanding this correctly that he's turning a knob on that steering wheel mid corner?

I keep thinking that you mean he's hauling on a brodie knob in an F1 car and the image brings me joy

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you watch F1 on-boards they aren't tweaking switches and knobs entering, mid, and on corner exit. They do adjust settings but not when actually cornering, that's madness.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Formula E... it's got wings.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Spiffness posted:

If you watch F1 on-boards they aren't tweaking switches and knobs entering, mid, and on corner exit. They do adjust settings but not when actually cornering, that's madness.

When he described the differential, in that video that's what it sounds like they're doing?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I have always wondered why people double up on giant gently caress-off turbos like that....so you can run each at its quarter max boost?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mighty Horse posted:

I have always wondered why people double up on giant gently caress-off turbos like that....so you can run each at its quarter max boost?

I thought the idea was that they are boosting at different revs, but I don't know anything about engine modification.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mighty Horse posted:

Easier than getting stuck with an asymmetric setup, perhaps?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

dubzee posted:

When an F1 chassis and an IndyCar chassis love each other very much...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

Pretty sure it's for mad mike's drift FD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il986P_ooEE

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure it's for mad mike's drift FD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il986P_ooEE

So basically if he thinks about looking at the throttle he will lose traction.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that a 4 or 5 rotor? I think the 6 rotor RX4 drag car some kiwis built is better, even considering the turbos.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Pulse Performance Race Engineering built both the six rotor and have been Mad Mikes engine builders for the past season or two.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah that's mad mike's 4-rotor. With one turbo per two rotors. From another angle I found they appear to be about a 71 or 76mm compressor, so somewhere around 800-1000hp total depending on fuel, which is average for a top drift car these days. Daigo Saito's SC430 has well over 1000.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

dubzee posted:

And here it is in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIsFbdLJ7k

My brain just doesn't want to pair the sound to the vehicle.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought the idea was that they are boosting at different revs, but I don't know anything about engine modification.
I also don't know anything about engine modification (so someone can jump in an correct me), but I think the turbos would have to be different sizes for that. From what I understand, turbos that are effective at lower RPMs are smaller so that they have less rotational weight and can get up to speed sooner.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Spiffness posted:

From my non-driver experience:

There are times when drivers do this, for example if someone's been using whatever setting to approach for a pass and then need something on the coming straight, you have a perfect timing for a mid-corner settings change. Takes balls, but these guys are already crazy. Rewind that some yards, if the guy ahead of you is just awful at entry onto a certain corner you might dial up entry mode while on the straight, and then need to get back to balanced mode asap to break away, maybe you know that turn and a good moment to do it.

But they're not playing with buttons all lap long, in a situation where they're really putting a lap together it's a couple of dials for portions of a lap- like at Suzuka you might need a certain bias for the low-speed sections but high-speed balance for the back straight. Two or three changes, maybe. And for normal situations where they're just staying on pace, eff the buttons and drive the car.

Wasabi the J posted:

Depends on the application. Sometimes they can do precisely that- one turbo is designed for low revs and the other for max revs. But sometimes you only need max power (drag racing) or you can remedy turbo lag in another way (6+speed dual-clutch gearbox) or e-penis so you just stick on MORE TURBOS.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dubzee posted:

How long before we find a way to charge these things with lightning bolts?

I think the real limitation with this is the batteries. We need to find a way of getting rid of those, perhaps by having the electricity flow to the cars through grooves in the pavement. With lighter cars it will increase possible speeds to dangerous levels that would lead to too many driver deaths. I propose we have the drivers stay in the pits and control the speeds of the cars with some sort of analog trigger device.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davebo posted:

The technology has been around since 1955

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

revdrkevind posted:

But they're not playing with buttons all lap long, in a situation where they're really putting a lap together it's a couple of dials for portions of a lap- like at Suzuka you might need a certain bias for the low-speed sections but high-speed balance for the back straight. Two or three changes, maybe. And for normal situations where they're just staying on pace, eff the buttons and drive the car.

Even with the more limited controls in an Indycar, they'll be on them on a regular basis to make sure the car is balanced. Not necessarily "one setting until this turn, then a second setting until I get back to the line and back to the first", but progressively adjusting settings. In a race, you're going to see track grip levels change as the rubber on the track builds up (as well as the marbles off-line), you're going to possibly deal with weather conditions changing, and tire wear / fuel consumption from pit stop to pit stop.

Or, if you've really got the car dancing on a knife-edge, just to keep it pointy-end-forward for four laps at full tilt. If you watch qualifying for the 500, they'll pipe in the driver radio on occasion and you'll often hear "use your tools". The fastest way around that track is to have the car absolutely trimmed out with the driver working their rear end off to keep that throttle pegged as much as possible. Even in the relatively short distance they cover on the warm up laps and four timed laps, with next-to-no downforce the balance of the car will change significantly from lap to lap.

So yeah, I could see a driver making an adjustment mid-corner if needed.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

davebo posted:

I think the real limitation with this is the batteries. We need to find a way of getting rid of those, perhaps by having the electricity flow to the cars through grooves in the pavement. With lighter cars it will increase possible speeds to dangerous levels that would lead to too many driver deaths. I propose we have the drivers stay in the pits and control the speeds of the cars with some sort of analog trigger device.

I know you're joking but
http://www.dailytech.com/South+Koreas+OLEV+Electric+City+Bus+Recharges+via+Cables+Buried+in+Road/article33124.htm

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I wasn't so much joking as I was just making a reference to slot cars and back to the future, but yeah the technology exists. Obviously it's got a way to go but people are wirelessly charging cell phones, and it'd be amazing to see that technology somehow advance to a point where you could retrofit existing race tracks with it instead of having to modify existing ones. Either way it's an exciting technology and I kind of like the sound.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Spotted on the back of a Tigra:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jamal posted:

Yeah that's mad mike's 4-rotor. With one turbo per two rotors. From another angle I found they appear to be about a 71 or 76mm compressor, so somewhere around 800-1000hp total depending on fuel, which is average for a top drift car these days. Daigo Saito's SC430 has well over 1000.

4 rotors but only 2 turbos? Pff, I thought he was 'Mad' Mike not 'mildly unhinged' Mike.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Horse Divorce posted:

And here it is in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqIsFbdLJ7k

My brain just doesn't want to pair the sound to the vehicle.

Haha, he could be going 600mph and everyone would still be underwhelmed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shrapnac posted:

Haha, he could be going 600mph and everyone would still be underwhelmed.

It's running at 1/4 the regular power; of course it's underwhelming. I'm just a little irritated that this was their debut. They should have just posted pics until they went full power, so people can get the right impression. As it stands, it's an underwhelming debut because it's not quick at all; in this day and age people want to see the end result, not a slow test run.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I read up on the Formula E specs and even with full power available, they're not exactly fast cars as race cars go. 270 bhp in an 800 kg car makes it about as fast as a Formula Ford. Also, a limited top speed of 140 mph.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

First time seeing the manual trannied V in the flesh. This one was the right color but curbed with rash on all four wheels and the driver door left ajar, unlocked. Just because you have great taste doesn't mean you have to take care of your poo poo, I guess.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

It's running at 1/4 the regular power; of course it's underwhelming. I'm just a little irritated that this was their debut. They should have just posted pics until they went full power, so people can get the right impression. As it stands, it's an underwhelming debut because it's not quick at all; in this day and age people want to see the end result, not a slow test run.

That's a shitload of aero to still be slow as gently caress.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

blk posted:

First time seeing the manual trannied V in the flesh. This one was the right color but curbed with rash on all four wheels and the driver door left ajar, unlocked. Just because you have great taste doesn't mean you have to take care of your poo poo, I guess.

:swoon:

A manual CTS-V wagon is a rare beast.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

IOwnCalculus posted:

In a race, you're going to see track grip levels change as the rubber on the track builds up (as well as the marbles off-line), you're going to possibly deal with weather conditions changing, and tire wear / fuel consumption from pit stop to pit stop.

Just a clarification, people mentioned there being settings for corner turn-in, middle, and turn-out- I was just saying while they do make frequent changes, it's not three per turn. A couple of switches for major areas of the track, plus extras for changing conditions as the race wears on (and "confirm" and KERS and so on) is about right for "normal" racing. Someone racing harder might throw in more, someone saving fuel might do less.

MrChips posted:

a limited top speed of 140 mph.

Shrapnac posted:

That's a shitload of aero to still be slow as gently caress.

...does 140 really warrant that much aero? I'd prefer simpler, less expensive cars- they'd be more personable that way too.

I mean call me crazy, but I look at this and think "vroom"

...while I look at this and think, I dunno, Michael Bay?

I mean it looks aggressive, but I don't want to drive it. Maybe I'd like to see it transform and fight other robots, but I don't associate it with driving.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

revdrkevind posted:

I mean call me crazy, but I look at this and think "vroom"

...while I look at this and think, I dunno, Michael Bay?

I mean it looks aggressive, but I don't want to drive it. Maybe I'd like to see it transform and fight other robots, but I don't associate it with driving.

I think the first one looks like a go-kart and the second one looks like it might eat me alive, soooooo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Unrelated to anything I just showed this to my cowerker and feel like reposting it for the umpteenth time.

!

Kolster
Dec 31, 2006

Why hast thou forsaken me?

jamal posted:

Here's a video from when they first ran the FD3S with the 4 rotor (~500 hp), and he talks about adding a twin turbo setup to get a 1000 horsepower like the 2JZ's in the class.

http://youtu.be/PArQgneeCe4

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

MrChips posted:

Also, a limited top speed of 140 mph.

I didn't realize that. What tracks are they planning on racing these? Is Formula E just going to be F1 but really slow, or do they have some super windy tracks lined up that wouldn't require 150+mph speeds anyway? One big benefit of ev's is all that instant torque so it'd make sense if they're making this all about acceleration and not top speed, but I'm curious to know where they intend to do that. That idea alone basically makes this the anti-nascar so I hope it have enough support to at least get a fighting chance.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
One of Formula E's gimmicks is that they want all the races to be on street circuits in downtown locations, because you can have electric cars in city centers.

I've said it before but will say it again, it's a pointless waste of time and money (and where exactly is that money coming from?). It's a spec series, so there's nothing to spur innovation and or new thinking. The batteries can't last more than half a race, so each team needs four cars for two drivers (like motorsport isn't expensive enough as it is) and they change cars at a pitstop. What is the loving point? Literally the only thing that's good about Formula E is they're using 18" wheels instead of tiny 13" ones like in F1.

Between the ACO and F1 both encouraging the use of different forms of energy recovery, and the ACO spurring the development of energy storage other than chemical batteries, what's the point of this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

davebo posted:

I didn't realize that. What tracks are they planning on racing these? Is Formula E just going to be F1 but really slow, or do they have some super windy tracks lined up that wouldn't require 150+mph speeds anyway? One big benefit of ev's is all that instant torque so it'd make sense if they're making this all about acceleration and not top speed, but I'm curious to know where they intend to do that.

That's an interesting idea, but isn't F1 already reaching the limits of what the soft squishy pink bit of the car can tolerate in terms of G forces over prolonged periods of a race? I'd hate to think what EV's would do to a drivers neck if they tried to make full use of that torque, breaking and turning for 2 hours.