Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man you're lucky. 525 in my bracket is rank 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Top guy on my bracket has 1422. Ugh.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Shroud posted:

I learned two things recently:

1 - Don't kill someone if they have a 30+ Storm (Classic) with Raging Tempest (party wipe - 1000+ damage to each of my party)
1a - gently caress Storm

2 - You can skip opponents in the SHIELD simulator and events

Always take out Storm first. Like others said, it only hits hard if the team is below 50%, which they won't be if you hit her first. Plus her tile-busting abilities are somewhat dangerous, and she's quick to down due to very low HP.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Mine is a bit more tame.

Shields are certainly going to let people climb higher, but the cost is kind of BS still. If they were 1/2 as expensive, I'd be game or if the HC rewards were better.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man, shields are raising the leaderboards like crazy. 6/10 on my bracket are in the 600+ and shielded. Insane.

I'm #1 in my bracket (but I'm gonna drop like a rock, I made a push for the 800 token and haven't been crabbed back down yet) at 788. #3 (702), #7 (604) and #9 (584) are shielded and likely pissing away 50 HP apiece.

SHIELD Training, someone cracked 2000.

I'll be interested to see if people start dropping shields in Lightning Rounds.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karnegal posted:

Mine is a bit more tame.

Shields are certainly going to let people climb higher, but the cost is kind of BS still. If they were 1/2 as expensive, I'd be game or if the HC rewards were better.

I'd rather spend 200 to cement myself a good spot than 1150 for a single cover, and I'm not going to put any money into this game beyond the $5 I paid to get some cover slots :shrug:

I'll see how high I can push at around midnight then shield up before bed.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My plan is to use the cheapest shield a few hours out and see how that plays since you get that much HC from the event itself.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Apparently the lightning rounds are working again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is my bracket.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ghostlight posted:

This is my bracket.

I hope this doesn't become the norm. I know that the game is somewhat pay to win, but that's just blatant.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So what is consensus on Captain America? His shield gimmick is interesting but I feel like he takes too much AP to get going initially. I'm also not sure if you're supposed to sort of game the shield tile to make more matches or just try to hide it so no one else hits it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

beergod posted:

So what is consensus on Captain America? His shield gimmick is interesting but I feel like he takes too much AP to get going initially. I'm also not sure if you're supposed to sort of game the shield tile to make more matches or just try to hide it so no one else hits it.

When I use him (pretty much just when he's boosted) I hide them in the corner unless I absolutely must get a specific match.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

beergod posted:

I use him sometimes when boosted, especially against henchmen. His blue stun that returns AP and can over-write countdown tiles is useful in some fights. He's not bad, but there are usually better options.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Turns out there's a 30 AP limit. Never noticed that before. Not sure why it's there, but it sucks that I can't dual-triple-shot; with 5-digit characters, it would be useful.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Cap is specialized for replacing pesky countdown tiles in PvE but in PVP I honestly can't find a huge use for him. Yellow would be nice if it werent so expensive.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lone Goat posted:

I'd rather spend 200 to cement myself a good spot than 1150 for a single cover, and I'm not going to put any money into this game beyond the $5 I paid to get some cover slots :shrug:

I'll see how high I can push at around midnight then shield up before bed.

I'm really, really frustrated with the way this is shaking out after one day. I've put 40 bucks in, because I've gotten a decent bit of gametime out of it, and it seemed like you could get competitive at that price. I just got a 5 blue Spiderman together, and am close to maxing out Thor and Wolverine, and I was starting to feel like I could actually start winning covers in some of these tournaments - I actually got 2 Spiderman covers a couple tournaments ago. Except now it looks like there's a minimum investment of at least 200 HP any time I want to TRY to win covers for my 3 stars. So much for saving up for Ragnarok levels, I guess? Since there's absolutely no way I can place in a Rag tournament even with 500 HP in shields.

And now I guess there's not really any content, either. I suppose I could play some Double Shot matches, but there's no way I'm getting anything but a Daken with my bracket leader over 1000.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Their main forums seem to have burnt to the ground somehow.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

iRend posted:

I just reinstalled windows, and now i've copied mpq_save.dat over, i'm not showing either of the current events available. Has anyone experienced this issue before?

I have submitted a problem but that will take days for them to respond.

Reinstalled windows again, made sure I did everything right, "No missions are currently available" :(

I've sadly been waiting days for lightning rounds!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Cap is specialized for replacing pesky countdown tiles in PvE but in PVP I honestly can't find a huge use for him. Yellow would be nice if it werent so expensive.
His shield stun is a good substitute if you don't have a <4 cost Spider-Man web. It's much harder to get a continuous stun compared to Black Widow since you need to be able to do another one before you get the AP refund, but he's much stronger than Widow overall. I liked his synergy with Wolverine as well in that his shield slam is weak but repeatable, so I'd chuck it out and strike tiles would boost the damage a little then when you'd get 10 red back for making more strike tiles - you get a good AP->Damage ratio and you didn't go through dry spots of single-strike-tile Feral Claws. The only problem is that takes ages to get going compared to Thor just making GBS threads out yellows for more matches.

Mostly what I like about him is he plays well with other blue/red abilities on your team because you don't really have to choose between his or theirs - you lose very little as long as the countdown survives so most of the time you can just chuck Star Spangled Avenger until you're ready to mop up the character, then you let Wolverine have all that recycled red AP for Adamantium Slash. Same with Peacemaker and Anti-Gravity Device.

Karnegal posted:

I hope this doesn't become the norm. I know that the game is somewhat pay to win, but that's just blatant.
Someone from >#11 just grinded up through the entire top ten and shielded at 1000, so I imagine there's going to be some shields breaking soon as people try to reclaim their position.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ghostlight posted:

His shield stun is a good substitute if you don't have a <4 cost Spider-Man web. It's much harder to get a continuous stun compared to Black Widow since you need to be able to do another one before you get the AP refund, but he's much stronger than Widow overall. I liked his synergy with Wolverine as well in that his shield slam is weak but repeatable, so I'd chuck it out and strike tiles would boost the damage a little then when you'd get 10 red back for making more strike tiles - you get a good AP->Damage ratio and you didn't go through dry spots of single-strike-tile Feral Claws. The only problem is that takes ages to get going compared to Thor just making GBS threads out yellows for more matches.

Mostly what I like about him is he plays well with other blue/red abilities on your team because you don't really have to choose between his or theirs - you lose very little as long as the countdown survives so most of the time you can just chuck Star Spangled Avenger until you're ready to mop up the character, then you let Wolverine have all that recycled red AP for Adamantium Slash. Same with Peacemaker and Anti-Gravity Device.

Someone from >#11 just grinded up through the entire top ten and shielded at 1000, so I imagine there's going to be some shields breaking soon as people try to reclaim their position.

yeah, but then they'll just re-shield. I'd rather see a solution that wasn't just pay us if you don't want to deal with our poor design.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I'm really, really frustrated with the way this is shaking out after one day. I've put 40 bucks in, because I've gotten a decent bit of gametime out of it, and it seemed like you could get competitive at that price. I just got a 5 blue Spiderman together, and am close to maxing out Thor and Wolverine, and I was starting to feel like I could actually start winning covers in some of these tournaments - I actually got 2 Spiderman covers a couple tournaments ago. Except now it looks like there's a minimum investment of at least 200 HP any time I want to TRY to win covers for my 3 stars. So much for saving up for Ragnarok levels, I guess? Since there's absolutely no way I can place in a Rag tournament even with 500 HP in shields.

And now I guess there's not really any content, either. I suppose I could play some Double Shot matches, but there's no way I'm getting anything but a Daken with my bracket leader over 1000.

Oops, I meant 100 HP since I just shut down shop with less than 8 hours to go. This probably isn't something I'll do every time, but 2-3 Spidey covers seemed worth it. I got myself into a really good brackey by starting at like 3am, if that makes any difference.

Karnegal posted:

yeah, but then they'll just re-shield. I'd rather see a solution that wasn't just pay us if you don't want to deal with our poor design.

They're still vulnerable when they're unshielded, aren't they? I thought that your shield falls off once you attack, so even though you're gaining points, you're still vulnerable to getting crabbed to bits at the same time.

I got to 700+ about a day ago, got pulled down to ~300 over the course of the day, then played for the past couple hours to get to 900+ before I got tired. So here's where I sit and hopefully it'll be good enough for top 10 by the morning

fake edit: within 15 minutes after shielding it prevented the loss of over 100 ponts.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah, I just put myself in first and shielded for 3 hours. I'll probably grind out to 1000 and then shield again 3 hours before the end to come out + 50HC and hopefully another purple cover, since that;s the only spiderman one I need still.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
I figured for the cost of an 8 hr shield, I would go ahead and grind up to where I should be able to secure a blue and yellow Spidey, which I really need. It's better than a pull on the daily heroic slot machine. Top in my bracket was about 1k.

Two hours later and holy poo poo, I actually have the red X-force Wolverine cover and shielded at 1420.

I don't know if all my repeated tanking for ISO farming (thanks for that tip, thread!) somehow screwed up the matchmaking, or if having an 8k+ HP Model 40 discouraged people, but I only got attacked once during the entire time. I know I avoided high level Iron Men, which is illogical because by the end of matches my team (85 Thor/85 Astonishing Wolvie/80ish Model 40) could blast through a few k worth of HP in a turn or two, what with all the strike tiles.

This team sailed through any matches with a heal needed only on Iron Man maybe every 10 matches. Except for matches against Ragnarok, because gently caress Ragnarok.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xforce Wolvie is kinda butts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gently caress. That.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
I think the shielding mechanic is having a nice side effect of less crabbing. People are shielding themselves and then no longer attacking anyone. You can go much higher now than in previous tourneys

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Shielding is making it possible for everyone else to get more event rewards. Before the absolute highest I ever saw anyone get was in the 500-600 range, now it seems possible for everyone to get over 1000 if they keep grinding out matches.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Is anyone's shield showing less time than it should? I bought an 8 hour shield (the middle one) for the Double Shot tourney after midnight EST expecting it to last through 8am, but now it's showing me that I'm shielded until 745am.

e: It turns out I can't read and that I have an hour more than I thought I did. CRISIS AVERTED.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 8, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I managed to reach 500+ for the first time ever using a Thor/Storm/IM40 combo in the jungle (Storm is so loving hilariously broken on that map) and parked myself with a shield in the top 10-15. Aiming for a few Spidey-Covers so depending on how the last hour goes I may need to break shield and win a few more matches but otherwise I may not entirely hate the idea if I can continue reaching the 50HP reward to use a 3H shield to get 1-2 covers per event.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Xforce Wolvie is kinda butts.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, Astonishing Wolverine seems like a million times better, just because he can spam his green ability.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I managed to reach 500+ for the first time ever using a Thor/Storm/IM40 combo in the jungle (Storm is so loving hilariously broken on that map) and parked myself with a shield in the top 10-15. Aiming for a few Spidey-Covers so depending on how the last hour goes I may need to break shield and win a few more matches but otherwise I may not entirely hate the idea if I can continue reaching the 50HP reward to use a 3H shield to get 1-2 covers per event.

Which Storm?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BDawg posted:

Which Storm?

Modern. Start boosted and you can basically trigger thorn rose in 1-2 turns and after that it becomes a cascade of using lightning strike to generate AP for Thor at which point you use Mistress to trigger thorns to trigger lightning strike to trigger thor and you just repeat that until the other team is dead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Presumably Modern. I think it's Modern? The one with the Red AP skill that lets your eat up all the Environment tiles. Use that, get Environment AP and possibly a cascade match, then activate the 50 Environment AP skill that gives you 5 of every AP.

EDIT: Meh, beaten.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Worked my way into the top 10 now. Hopefully I can stay in the top 15 or even challenge for top 5.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well, shielded up at 1200 something in 1st. Easily the highest I ever got and I spent 100 HC but made 150 off the event. If this is the norm it won't be bad. I'm fine with not making a bunch of HC of these events if I can dig deep into the covers. I got a red iron man 40 that I needed, and I should get a purple spiderman if not an invisible woman.

EDIT: Does anyone know if your shield breaks as soon as you start a match or after you finish your 1st one post-shield? That is, can you leapfrog small point increments?

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 8, 2014

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Worked my way up to #14 and bought a 50hp shield since I stand to win 100hp (and two spidey covers). After I bought the shield though I realized that 16 more points would have gotten me to #11, with 20 minutes left in the tourney I'm a little worried about being knocked into >15.

Of course moments after I bought the shield I got a notice saying it had saved my 17 points. So, maybe it's good enough where it is?

The shield mechanic did let me claw my way up into the 600s though so, I got some rewards I probably never would have under the old scheme. The top of my leaderboard looks like a dog fight with the 2, 3 and 4 positions all trying to move up (or at least not shielded) and everyone else through #17 shielded.

e: and with 6 minutes left #17 has moved to 16 looks like he's make a play for top 15.

e2: at 3 min left he's at 15 and 4 points behind me. But spots 16,17 and 18 are all shielded so I think I am safe from someone else driving up and pushing me out. Jesse at 16 is probably pissed though.

e3: If you started a match at <1 min remaining would you get those points even though the match would finish after the end of the tourney? Seems like a way to move up a few spots at the last second without much risk. Get to a good spot just below a tight grouping with juicy target on your queue, shield up, wait for the end of the match and then bounce up.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 8, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just finished in the top 15 in my bracket with over 1100 points. I did not use a single shield the entire tournament, even though others did. I have never gotten above 600 points due to the constant scrum, and rubberbanding in previous tournaments, and have even dropped completely out of the top 25 when I was sitting at #3 at the tie over point.

So far I'm loving these shields. They're nothing but good to me.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Top 5 and almost stole first. My bracket was full of slackers and first was only shielded on 1002.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I guess I have to eat crow on my initial impression on the shields - despite the heavily armoured bracket I was in I pushed my way up over 1400 in the last 15 minutes into 1st place, and felt quite smug to see the shields disappear off the leaderboard as people scrambled to get back into position. Top 5 finish, all progression rewards and no shield use :smug:

I wish I knew what team Skyward was using though because he gained 300 points to retake the lead in the time it took me to fight two matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, I failed to get in Top 5 for the Double Shot Tournament (was #6 before I got into my last match) but hey, I figure I got a Blue Spidey cover, so I'm good.

Then I use my Standard Token from Rag Lightning Round and it's a loving Purple Spidey.

Bitchin'.