Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
God I've forgotten how big an improvement The Sith Lords is just interface- and mechanics-wise. Scripts in Kotor 1 were a bad joke (Bindo would you loving stay put!)- an inexcusable one if the game weren't so easy once you got a grasp of the rules. And those pigeon-hole menu screens...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, it's excellent. Interesting grid system that is really fun to break. Story's not bad either, all things considered (you have to manage two different timelines by jumping back and forth).

As for more difficult DS RPGs, my first thought was Devil Survivor.

Well for difficult he can always go for Strange Journey... Don't do it, you will hate yourself. If you have 3DS, I'd go for DS1 Overclocked though, but DS2 is on the DS only for now (DS2 OC is releasing in Nippon in the summer). Older Fire Emblems are pretty difficult as well and they are SRPGs so there is that.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rinkles posted:

God I've forgotten how big an improvement The Sith Lords is just interface- and mechanics-wise. Scripts in Kotor 1 were a bad joke (Bindo would you loving stay put!)- an inexcusable one if the game weren't so easy once you got a grasp of the rules. And those pigeon-hole menu screens...

Sith Lords plus the new fixed mod version is certainly better. However, it's kind of awesome to play Kotor on the iPad :P.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Some of the bosses, like the giant spiders, are a huge pain because you can't use Aht's traps. Anything else though it can get pretty hilarious how much damage you can rack up in a single turn.

It's definitely a game that could really use a sequel to flesh out the time travel gimmick a little more. A lot of it felt like a proof of concept attempt that could easily be refined into something really special.

In addition to the above (I cannot stress enough that Aht is mega-broken in the best way possible. Like, Maria from SO3 mega-broken) I thought Radiant Historia had a fantastic soundtrack, especially for a DS game.

Also it's pretty refreshing when (very mild spoilers I guess?) Stocke's reaction to one of the bigger obvious twists in the game is "Yeah I figured that out a while ago, thanks for confirming it for me though."

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 8, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oblomov posted:

Sith Lords plus the new fixed mod version is certainly better. However, it's kind of awesome to play Kotor on the iPad :P.

Unless additional work's been done, I can't imagine combat controls not being very frustrating.

Any tips on raising influence for LS compaions (Bao Dur, disciple etc.) with a mostly DS (female) character? Last playthrough I think I only managed to jedify handmaiden and Mira.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nobody here would be versed well enough in the save editor to help me out with a Nar Shadaa bug? I keep on getting crashes right before the Duros bounty hunters fight (going back to previous saves, the game starts crashing at earlier points, after/before the Twin Suns fight).

I am using the latest version of the restoration mod (1.8.2) and this was a fresh save.

Game was also randomly crashing on every forth or so load screen for some time now (it wasn't so bad initially).

e:actually it seems all my previous saves now crash after any cutscene, wtf?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 10, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Turning off fullscreen seems to have helped. I know windowed is commonly recommended but I haven't had issues with straight up progressing so far.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also it's pretty refreshing when (very mild spoilers I guess?) Stocke's reaction to one of the bigger obvious twists in the game is "Yeah I figured that out a while ago, thanks for confirming it for me though."
Yeah, if you mean the one I think you mean I was prepared to be yelling at the DS "Dammit Stocke, you've been smarter than this all game!" and then he was just like "yes, I know, moving on".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I am disappointed and frustrated that as a DSer you're funneled into dialog choices in the Jedi Enclave Kreia confrontation. Despite the deaths of jedi council members being mostly the result of them giving me no alternatives - I was mostly dark side, but was not a raving lunatic psychopath (unless an opportunity to make thugs jump off sky scrappers presented itself) - there's no way to express regret, or even suggest dissatisfaction at how things ended up, thus failing Kreia's expectations.

It's an important moment and sets up the finale; essential to the plot. But why bother providing the player with a series of choices if they all say the same thing? I have no problem with fatalism and am all for limiting the placer character's ability to impart change. Here, however, you lose control over your character because you are given one choice and you must take it. Obsidian usually manages to avoid giving the player false choices (different looking choices that are actually treated the same), so it's especially disappointing that for such a pivotal moment they simply only provide you with one (well 5 that say the same murderous thing).

I much prefer how the LS version pans out, because it doesn't pretend you have any agency (by incapacitating you). It's a more elegant solution to attaching a linear story to a vehicle with the audience's input, because it's sincere about not listening.

I'm not even going to entertain the possibility that it's the dark side consuming the PC (though that's kind of how Treia interprets it; if only she knew the exile had no choice!) because at almost all other significant plot points after and before you have some determination (even if the outcome is always the same). Plus, you can have this conversation with any alignment if you play your cards right.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What are some of the best DS RPGs if I like stuff like FFT, Disgaea, DQ, Persona, and Fire Emblem?

I know there are DQ and Fire Emblem games for the DS, should I start with those?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

What are some of the best DS RPGs if I like stuff like FFT, Disgaea, DQ, Persona, and Fire Emblem?

I know there are DQ and Fire Emblem games for the DS, should I start with those?

Both Devil Survivor games would probably be right up your alley.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Which model DS do you have? Can you play GBA games? That opens up the list significantly, too.

There's also two DS Advance Wars games, a turn-based Age of Empires, Front Mission, FFXII Revenant Wings (RTS), Heroes of Mana (RTS), Rondo of Swords, Panzer Tactics, Luminous Arc, Hoshigami, Valkyrie Profile, Drone Tactics, and you probably already know about Disgaea DS.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 13, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Dross posted:

Which model DS do you have? Can you play GBA games? That opens up the list significantly, too.

It's actually an emulator on Android called DraStic.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I really hope SMT IV is localised to PAL soon, there are certain flashcarts that make the 3DS region free but it seems like kind of a hassle.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

AFAIK it's still pegged for Q1 this year, so hopefully not too much longer.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Not even sure where to put this, but Yasumi Matsuno wants to make another Final Fantasy Tactics type game. Here's the kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians?ref=live

Hitoshi Sakimoto and Alexander O. Smith are stretch goals! I haven't backed many kickstarters (Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity are my exceptions) but I think I'll be backing this.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Levantine posted:

Not even sure where to put this, but Yasumi Matsuno wants to make another Final Fantasy Tactics type game. Here's the kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians?ref=live

Hitoshi Sakimoto and Alexander O. Smith are stretch goals! I haven't backed many kickstarters (Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity are my exceptions) but I think I'll be backing this.

I admire all of his work and think YazMat is one of the most talented people ever to work in the JRPG genre, but I still don't think I can get behind this. It looks like he's just hitching his name to an unknown iPhone dev he has no prior association with, although I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Microcline posted:

I admire all of his work and think YazMat is one of the most talented people ever to work in the JRPG genre, but I still don't think I can get behind this. It looks like he's just hitching his name to an unknown iPhone dev he has no prior association with, although I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Information is light so its hard to say but if I understand the situation properly he's been working with these guys for a while. From the video they sound like fans but who really knows. I'm cautiously optimistic and the early backer $20 tier seemed like a decent gamble. Putting Matsuno in a purely creative role seems like a wonderful idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Microcline posted:

In the sphere of RPG-related iOS devs, Playdek is hardly an unknown. They announced their collaboration a while ago, and they plan to extend it to future projects. That said, they should be much clearer on the extent of Matsuno's involvement when it's obvious they're setting him up as the selling point.

e:The stretch goals sums seem a tad bit ambitious.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Anybody have any thoughts on the Persona 2 games? I was thinking of picking them up on PSN whenever they go on sale next.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

TheIllestVillain posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on the Persona 2 games? I was thinking of picking them up on PSN whenever they go on sale next.

A lot of people prefer them to the later games, with good reason. Even if the "date demons, summon girls" aspect of 3 and 4 isn't your bag you might still like it: the gameplay in 2 is more traditional PSX JRPG, well refined from the barely-playable mess that was 1, and the story is arguably the best Atlus ever put out. Definitely the most fun. Eternal Punishment isn't even that poorly translated for a PS1 game, or so I hear (still grinding out those last 30-odd levels in Innocent Sin).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheIllestVillain posted:

I would claim that they are the best written games Atlus has ever done, and not even in a "...for a JRPG" manner. They're just really rather swell. I found myself very invested in the story and cast. The music is also outstanding in both games.

A lot of people will claim that the gameplay is too antiquated, but really for a late 90s JRPG it's no worse than any of its contemporaries. In other words, it's fine, hell even rather fun if you get into the swing of things setting up fusion spells and such.

Collectively the two Persona 2 games was one of my favorite all-time JRPG experiences.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Been considering trying a new to me PSOne Classic on my PS3and was wondering if anyone's got any string opinions about the following:
Suikoden
The Arc the Lad Series
Breath of Fire IV
Final Fantasy Tactics

Some favorites of mine include Final Fantasies V, IX & XII, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest VIII.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hurry up and play BoF4 and FFT already.

The Arc the Lad games are kinda hit and miss, mainly because they all have long slogs to wade through to get to bonus content and the second one is really long with a lot of easily missable sidequests. At least one of these sidequests can be missed by not doing things in the first game, namely a dungeon that drat near doubles the length of the game.

At this point Suikoden is more or less a short lead in to its amazing sequel.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 23, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Breath of Fire 4 has a fair amount of padding, but when it's on it's pretty loving fantastic.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

breath of fire 4 has some of the worst scenario writing and pacing in all of games. it is mostly boring slogs through nothing punctuated by extremely cool parts. I think you are stuck on a muppet island that has nothing to do with anything for five hours?

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Suikoden sucks a pretty crazy amount of rear end compared to Suikoden 2. Not even worth playing really. Skip to 2, play three, ignore the rest of the series.

BoF 1-3 are arguably good games depending on your taste (I loved all three), but 4 is a boring, stupid mess.

Tactics is okay if you can get over the awful goddamn translation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, BoF4 is great. It just has a bit of trouble figuring out how to actually get you to the endgame and decided it needed to fill its minigame quota for a couple hours before one of the best scenes in any game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

well, that's a problem that exists in pretty much every breath of fire after 1 (i consider cleansing a fat queen of cellulite demons a minigame) but it's definitely the worst in four. I think it has some of the most powerful writing that is horribly tarnished by all the garbage that comes inbetween. you may think that what i've said about the writing here is the opposite of what I said one post ago but it isn't. It is extremely good and also extremely awful

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let's not forget the amazing music

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

(i consider cleansing a fat queen of cellulite demons a minigame)

That poo poo was awesome as hell. BoF 2 is the crown jewel of the series, every part of it rocked, and I refuse to accept any other argument :colbert:

I don't remember much about BoF 4 despite having played it much more recently. I remember it being tedious and stupid and barely having a coherent story.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wait.

Is 4 the one where you have to walk through a desert and if you gently caress up you can lose max HP permanently through dehydration or whatever...

And the directions given to you when you're first told to do it are correct, but the ones in a note in your tent are WRONG?

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Zereth posted:

wait.

Is 4 the one where you have to walk through a desert and if you gently caress up you can lose max HP permanently through dehydration or whatever...

And the directions given to you when you're first told to do it are correct, but the ones in a note in your tent are WRONG?

Nope, that's 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

wait.

No, 4 is the game with an insufferable robot that always refers to itself in the third person.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Suikoden sucks a pretty crazy amount of rear end compared to Suikoden 2. Not even worth playing really. Skip to 2, play three, ignore the rest of the series.

BoF 1-3 are arguably good games depending on your taste (I loved all three), but 4 is a boring, stupid mess.

Tactics is okay if you can get over the awful goddamn translation.

Suikoden 5 is a great game and I feel better than 3, but 4 can be skipped with no regrets (though Suikoden Tactics is pretty fun). The first Suikoden is an alright game but really kind of aged at this point, thought not to unplayable-ness or anything. Play the first one then play Suikoden 2 about 3 years later, so you can get the full impact of 2. :v:

BoF4 is a great game if you can get past the parts that plod along and the eh dragon form design. The story is really good but it is marred by poo poo pacing

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

no, that's breath of fire 3.

breath of fire 3 probably had the most ????????? of all minigames. They decided to rehash the "desert of death" in 4, but it no longer was quite as stupid/long/potentially damaging to your characters' stats

wow....beaten several times....well....let me just say that fou lu is sephiroth's dad.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

MotU posted:

Suikoden 5 is a great game and I feel better than 3, but 4 can be skipped with no regrets (though Suikoden Tactics is pretty fun). The first Suikoden is an alright game but really kind of aged at this point, thought not to unplayable-ness or anything. Play the first one then play Suikoden 2 about 3 years later, so you can get the full impact of 2. :v:

BoF4 is a great game if you can get past the parts that plod along and the eh dragon form design. The story is really good but it is marred by poo poo pacing

Man I wanted to like 5 so bad, but the combat was broken beyond belief and I felt like it was a cheap attempt at a redo of 2. Suikoden 4 is by FAR the worst of the series (and it fucks up Teds storyline completely somehow), but I felt like 3 was going for something unique and just missed a little bit. My biggest complaint with 3 was the way they ruined the large-scale battle system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The White Dragon posted:

No, 4 is the game with an insufferable robot that always refers to itself in the third person.

Ershin is the second-best character in that game, you shut your goddamn mouth :argh:. (Kahn :allears:)

Besides, Ershin wasn't actually referring to itself (well, for most of the game anyway), so it actually made sense in the end.

GulagDolls posted:

no, that's breath of fire 3.

breath of fire 3 probably had the most ????????? of all minigames. They decided to rehash the "desert of death" in 4, but it no longer was quite as stupid/long/potentially damaging to your characters' stats

BoFIV's equivalent, the Grass Plains, also makes it easy by not making you drudge through encounters the first time through. That and there's maybe three locations you have to visit in it and they're all pretty easy to find. I love BoFIV to hell and back, it's one of the first JRPG's I ever played, but goddamn did it get bogged down in unnecessary minigames in some places. The Sandflier minigame was pretty fun though.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

we can all agree that it was a good idea to put "tony hawk's pro skater" in a breath of fire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're asking about stuff that is only on the PSN tho', Suikoden is fine on its own but you really can't get the second game easily anywhere so it's kind of a wash.

BoFIV is a fun game but it has a lot of weird bullshit which can make it a little annoying. Nowhere near as bad as BoFIII though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 23, 2014