Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ghostlight posted:

I guess I have to eat crow on my initial impression on the shields - despite the heavily armoured bracket I was in I pushed my way up over 1400 in the last 15 minutes into 1st place, and felt quite smug to see the shields disappear off the leaderboard as people scrambled to get back into position. Top 5 finish, all progression rewards and no shield use :smug:

I wish I knew what team Skyward was using though because he gained 300 points to retake the lead in the time it took me to fight two matches.

Yeah me too. I made 250 HC on that bracket and got to 1200+ to take first spending only 100 HC on shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh great, more Daken covers, just what I always wanted.

I was top 40, but had to stop playing to go to work :smith:

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
So, is there some sort of trick to the lightning rounds or do you just have to be beefy enough to not get crushed and grind your rear end off?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PaleBlueDot posted:

So, is there some sort of trick to the lightning rounds or do you just have to be beefy enough to not get crushed and grind your rear end off?

The trick is ragnarok. Hope this helps.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Murgos posted:

e3: If you started a match at <1 min remaining would you get those points even though the match would finish after the end of the tourney? Seems like a way to move up a few spots at the last second without much risk. Get to a good spot just below a tight grouping with juicy target on your queue, shield up, wait for the end of the match and then bounce up.

From the results I've gotten, if you don't finish the battle before the tournament expires, it gets applied in S.H.I.E.L.D. training instead.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

e3: If you started a match at <1 min remaining would you get those points even though the match would finish after the end of the tourney? Seems like a way to move up a few spots at the last second without much risk. Get to a good spot just below a tight grouping with juicy target on your queue, shield up, wait for the end of the match and then bounce up.

As long as you finish the match before the server calculates the winners it'll count the points. (at least that was how it worked when it first started, I assume it's still the same now).

e: Top 15 because I forgot what time the match was supposed to end. Unfortunately for me, it's the two colours I don't need for Spidey.

mania fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 8, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Top 45 because I Didn't Care and figured I'd let people who needed them go for the Spidey covers.

So, instead of shielding (-50 HP) to get 100 HP and two 25 HP covers, I got 100 HP and one 25 HP cover. A winner is me!

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I won a thing. No shields required! Rag is now fully 5/5!

Ragnarok and maybe another intimidating 3*** diabolical character is the key to finishing the lightning round near the top. The key is going as fast as you can, which Rag can do better than anyone else in this case.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I used a shield to stay in the top 5 :negative:
B-but I really needed those Spidey covers; that makes it okay, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

triplexpac posted:

Oh great, more Daken covers, just what I always wanted.

I was top 40, but had to stop playing to go to work :smith:

I would rather have the choice of a random token than a set cover for a poor-man's Wolverine. Maybe they should do that in the future- you can take the known item, or you can go for what's in the box!

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So is spidey better built 5 blue, 5 yellow, 3 purple? or 3 yellow and 5 purple?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

seravid posted:

I used a shield to stay in the top 5 :negative:
B-but I really needed those Spidey covers; that makes it okay, right?

You get 100 HC from top 5 it's a cheap price to pay if you're locking 3 3 star covers

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So is spidey better built 5 blue, 5 yellow, 3 purple? or 3 yellow and 5 purple?

These days, 3 Yellow / 5 Blue / 5 Purple is the desirable build. Purple used to be terrible but was buffed significantly.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

For 3/5/5 Spidey, if you have 5 web tiles on board and you make a few purple matches, the protection it affords is uh... extremely powerful. Watching a giant tile cascade fall against you and plink you down for -1 damage per match is hilariously gratifying.

Yellow isnt that important because the health that is restored is dependent on character level, not cover level. And in my experience its one of those powers you'll only use like once every couple of games anyhow. Just take a +3 yellow boost if you really need to heal up.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Had 7 blues form a U-shape. Instead of forming a massive critical, it formed a pair of individual match 3 columns. :negative:

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I managed to scramble into the Top 5 and clear 1100 points without shielding. 4th was at about 1300 and 1st place was high 1500's.

Now I have to pick which final Spider-Man cover will be more useful. Do I go 4/5/4 or 3/5/5? I'm leaning towards 3/5/5 because I can usually complete heal everyone by the end of the round anyway by locking the last guy down and spamming webs all over for bandaging up.

EDIT: And of course by the time I finished my post I see everyone give their opinions already. Purple it is!

Gallow fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 8, 2014

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Xforce Wolvie is kinda butts.

Yeah I'm noticing.

Never really played him until just now after getting a green cover from Hulk event and red cover today.

I knew his abilities sounded kinda meh and too high AP but I figured at high levels his stats would start to more then make up for it. Plus 7x7 strike tiles, yo.

But now after having used him, it appears "3x3" strike tiles only means "5 strike tiles in an X formation". And even at level 50 the strike tiles were for a lousy 3 damage!

I have to think either he gets buffed down the road, he synergizes with some future 4-star, or after eleventy bajillion ISO is sunk into him he turns a corner. I mean he is the top prize in so many events, it seems like we should get badass Hugh Jackman, not Hugh Jackman from Les Miserables.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

JagGator posted:

I have to think either he gets buffed down the road, he synergizes with some future 4-star, or after eleventy bajillion ISO is sunk into him he turns a corner.

At Max Level (230)
HP:9328
Tile damage: 55/62/10/9/70/9

Compare this to a max level 3* IM40:
HP: 7250
Tile damage: 60/67/52/12/11/10

Or a max level 3* Hulk:
HP: 9788
Tile damage: ylw/red/blu/prp/grn/blk - 11/60/12/10/67/52

Xverine has the strongest Green base in the game, but not by much over Hulk and only after a staggering ISO investment.

As for his powers:

quote:

X-Force - Green 15 AP
Wolverine shreds, creating a 3x3 X-shaped pattern of Strike tiles centered on the selected tile's location. Only transforms basic color tiles.
Level 5: 7x7 slash, Affects all tile types.
Max Level: Damage increased by 15 per Strike tile

Meh.

quote:

Enraged Slash - Red 15 AP
Wolverine slashes the enemy, dealing 420 to the current target and shredding the selected tile's row.
Level 5: +50% damage (cumulative from previous upgrades), Slashes three rows centered on the selected tile.
Max Level: 2313 damage

Meh.

Yellow I have to quote in full because what the HELL:

quote:

Recovery - Yellow 10 AP
Wolverine starts the process of regeneration. Creates a 5 turn Countdown tile that heals 420 damage, and another 42 for every yellow AP.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Reduces countdown to 3 turns.
Level 3: +20% base heal.
Level 4: +40% base heal.
Level 5: +300% base heal. Increases countdown to 7.
Max Level: Heals 4626HP and additional 153HP per yellow AP

A seven-turn countdown tile? Even the three is likely to be too late if he really needs it.

If Hero Points slot costs end up making me ditch characters to make room for new ones, my 2/3/0 XWolv is among those on the chopping block. (Bag-Man 5/3/4, IM35 5/5/3 also making no long-term commitments.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Currently first place in my tournament. Now to hold this for 2 days and 6 hours.

...oh.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Nothing says way faster than normal healing like a 5 or 7 turn cooldown tile.

XForcerine really is loving useless and they should have just made him a direct copy of Astonishing and called it a day.

Really bummed I didn't hit top five today because I only need two purples to finish out my Spider-Man (I thought I needed a purple and a yellow). Because of my schedule and whatever glitch prevented the game from working for me for a day I had to go for a last minute slacker run which really doesn't seem to work any more. Hopefully in the next one I can play earlier and mess with the shields.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Since this game doesn't seem to have steam cloud support, is there a way to move saved games from one computer to another?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
e: oops double post

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Your save file is C:\Users\%NAME%\AppData\Local\Demiurge Studios\Marvel Puzzle Quest\slot0\mpq_save.dat. All you have to do is copy that file to the same location on another computer.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Speaking of save files, twice now on iOS in the last day or so I've gotten "Your save file is corrupt" when logging in. Everything else seems normal... so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same here. Worrying.

quote:

We've adjusted the pricing and amount of Iso-8 awarded in the latest data patch (168653). The new pricing is as follows (in USD)...

Dead Drop - 800 Iso-8 - $1.99
Treasure Box - 2,100 Iso-8 - $4.99
Hidden Stash - 8,800 Iso-8 - $19.99
Rich Deposit - 25,000 Iso-8 - $49.99
Mother Lode - 52,000 Iso-8 - $99.99

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that just deleting one of the middle tiers and adding an extra top tier at almost the same rates as it used to be?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 9, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

Same here. Worrying.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that just deleting one of the middle tiers and adding an extra top tier at almost the same rates as it used to be?

Looks like it to me, and it's still way over priced

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Karnegal posted:

Looks like it to me, and it's still way over priced

Yeah. There is still no incentive to actually buy ISO. And this is coming form someone who generally has more disposable income then common sense when it comes to these games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Same here. Worrying.

They've increased the lower levels by 300/600/800 which really is still really miserly for using it to do anything but pull a standard token.

I think they need to scrap the ISO-8 purchases all together - just let people buy standard/hero token packs and make duplicate character covers able to be used to level up those characters. It stops the scaling issue where levelling becomes so slow that I want to buy ISO to speed it up but it costs literally $5+ a level at that point, makes pulling the one-armed bandit much more rewarding, and would possibly encourage people to level-up their abandoned 1/2 stars and experiment with different teams more as a result.

e: also, apparently there's a new Wolverine in town according to the official forums -

Wolverine (Patch)
Berserkers Rage 9G
Deals 237 damage to the current target and creates 2 Strike tiles for each team (Green for allies, Purple for enemies).
Level 2: Deals 284 damage

Best There Is 14R
Wolverine deals 16 damage for each tile on the board that bears his icon
Level 2: Creates a Red Strike tile for each team

Healing Factor 0Y
(PASSIVE) Every turn there are 12 or mroe Yellow tiles, Wolverine's healing factor restores 59 health.
Level 2: Requires 11 or mroe Yellow tiles.

Looks interesting, but it would make more sense for him to generate green strike tiles for the enemy and purple for you.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 9, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently, there's a *** Wolverine cover now. Some weird stuff happened and some people got several day's worth of Daily Rewards, and this is the it.

His skills.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Why won't they give Wolverine a skill called Berserker Barrage? :argh:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So, uh, why do we need three and a half Wolverines? (question also applies to Black Widow, Iron Man, Magneto, Storm, Hawkeye)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its easier to trace over existing artwork than make new ones.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

seravid posted:

So, uh, why do we need three and a half Wolverines? (question also applies to Black Widow, Iron Man, Magneto, Storm, Hawkeye)

Honestly? I think i'ts so they can reuse assets/design ideas rather than building characters totally from scratch. It's the only reason I can think of for them to do it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My uncle who works at Nintendo says that if you hold your iPod upside down and match a sequence of tiles that spells out A-R-S-E-B-I-S-C-U-I-T-S in Morse code, it unlocks a 4* Howard the Duck. He won't tell me which colors are short and which are long tones, though.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

delfin posted:

My uncle who works at Nintendo says that if you hold your iPod upside down and match a sequence of tiles that spells out A-R-S-E-B-I-S-C-U-I-T-S in Morse code, it unlocks a 4* Howard the Duck. He won't tell me which colors are short and which are long tones, though.

But what about android????

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
WEll, if nothing else, the lighning rounds are still impossible clusterfucks of old-school crabbing! Good luck staying over 200. I really need more blue Dooms just so I can level his rear end some more. Doing 390 per strike tile is nifty, but still not quick enough.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't know what's going on but I went from getting top 50 or 25 when I wanted to for like four weeks, to taking two weeks off from the lightning rounds, to ending up just shy of top 100 in the three of them I've done today.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The amount of level 110+ Ragnarok/Magneto/Spider-Man teams in these lightning rounds is kind of absurd. I thought I might make some headway with my shiny new 51 Rag/66 Doom but :sweatdrop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After the Hulk events and some drunk iap purchases, my Spider-Man is in pretty good shape. Doom/Spider-Man pair up with webs and demons to tear poo poo up. It's not speedy, but it is effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Its easier to trace over existing artwork than make new ones.
I actually really like that they use the same base for all the variations on a character.

The four Wolverines probably make the most game sense - they all have the same focus of Strike/Heal, so in RPG terms they act like a single class with different talents/spec. The other character variations only work superficially like that though (if they do at all), so I've no idea if that's even a design goal or just because that's their method for limiting how many passive healers you can have on your team.