Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disco Prince
Apr 29, 2012

push the button
anything and everything on ed romans website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
who's been running the place since he died?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

comes along bort posted:

i will never get tired of the henry kaiser dumble vid

purely because alex dumble's stupid attitude about who he'll sell to yet he's totally buds with kaiser, and how utterly mad it makes the kind of dipshit willing to spend 50k+ on an amp

pretty sure that video is responsible for at least several bluesdads having strokes

oh god it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nU5Ghq5Wo

who convinced this guy that any of that sounded good?

like i do some weird poo poo with synths and glitch sounds but they turn out kind of musical in the end, this is just unlistenable

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

killhamster posted:

who convinced this guy that any of that sounded good?

like i do some weird poo poo with synths and glitch sounds but they turn out kind of musical in the end, this is just unlistenable

I unironically enjoy poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPLcst4OL8 and even think his stuff sounds like trash

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
henry kaiser owns you plebs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJus_qf2Pk

saturated fart
Dec 26, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I unironically enjoy poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPLcst4OL8 and even think his stuff sounds like trash

But Lightning Bolt isn't really that far from conventional rock.

There's a bunch of people which are much more inaccessible than Henry Kaiser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VkeiKqc-xc

Also I unironically like The Five Heavenly Truths, you guys just don't get it. :argh:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Didn't the singer/guitarist for Helmet always play a pink ESP because it "sounded better?" LOL.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

fyodor posted:

Didn't the singer/guitarist for Helmet always play a pink ESP because it "sounded better?" LOL.

lol that is hosed up! (if true)

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

comes along bort posted:

i will never get tired of the henry kaiser dumble vid

purely because alex dumble's stupid attitude about who he'll sell to yet he's totally buds with kaiser, and how utterly mad it makes the kind of dipshit willing to spend 50k+ on an amp

pretty sure that video is responsible for at least several bluesdads having strokes

oh god it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nU5Ghq5Wo

I actually think this was p. cool

It was like 99% garbage but I kept hearing cool poo poo where I was like "that was cool poo poo" especially w/ "the demon" early on

and I have to commend that kind of experimental spirit,

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fyodor posted:

He's into the superstrat thing because they sound better for Helmet's music (and they do, easier to palm mute on than a carved top guitar and lighter) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGyX7WPxuQ

He's the reason that seemingly every nu metal band had a dude playing a superstrat and chuggachuggaing

As far as the magenta thing goes well who the gently caress knows

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Can we all agree that P90s are the best pickups though?

I have a dream of owning my own super ugly guitar :

I think it would be amazing. But I'd have to wire it some how so I could get 5 pickup positions.

Is that ugly? I own an Antigua Strat, so apparently I like ugly guitars.

e: Also the single piece wrap around bridge is better than the normal tune-o-matic

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 9, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i do not like a gold guitar

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fax Sr posted:

i do not like a gold guitar

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If you're going to have a gold guitar, it needs to be sparkly. Like Billy Zoom's stuff.

Silver, but close enough for discussion. Also, good lord, that's a baby-eating grin.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dirt posted:

I think it would be amazing. But I'd have to wire it some how so I could get 5 pickup positions.

e: Also the single piece wrap around bridge is better than the normal tune-o-matic

i got a p90 sg and it buzzes all the fuckin time. mini-hums here i come :argh:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

"Allen Wren" posted: posted:

Also, good lord, that's a baby-eating grin.

Zoom always looks creepy as hell onstage.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Goldtops are beautiful. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

comes along bort posted:

and here's mr. dumble himself explaining why you should wait up to two years (if he approves of you) for an amp that costs as much as a well-equipped honda accord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyQ786w2wU&t=243s

I love this. Jabba the Butt on a bar-stool "Unh, Electrons...frequencies...harmonics, vibration vacuum tubes. It's just that simple". It's like a 30 second infomercial for Homeopathic Chiropractor in a Bottle.

That's the same look he had on his face when I saw X back in '84.

Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna die soon.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

used to have this guy with creme P90s :3:

if you're gonna go flashy, go flashy

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Handen posted:

i got a p90 sg and it buzzes all the fuckin time. mini-hums here i come :argh:

P-90's are well known for doing this, there are things you can do to quiet it down though. Get yourself some aluminium or copper tape and insulate the routs, This guide is for telecasters, but the principle is exactly the same.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 9, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The hum is part of the magic.

Proper shielding helps a lot though.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
actually makes me wish i had something with a pickguard to make it easier to hide some shielding

i mean how the hell are you supposed to faraday this poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

mclast posted:

I would play that thing forever.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

man thats gross posted:

actually makes me wish i had something with a pickguard to make it easier to hide some shielding

i mean how the hell are you supposed to faraday this poo poo

Just putting aluminium/copper tape in the control cavity and the back of the control plate will make a massive difference, p-90's unscrew pretty easily so whack some tape their too. If you really want to be anal you can wrap tape around the pickup wires too. It's pretty easy as far as DIY goes.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

mclast posted:

Bigsbys look like a 55 year old with jet black straightened hair and Ed Hardy patches on all his clothes trying to pick up a 20 year old coed

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

iostream.h posted:

Bigsbys look like a 55 year old with jet black straightened hair and Ed Hardy patches on all his clothes trying to pick up a 20 year old coed

i never whammy but the heavier bridge made it sound better. yup i'm that guy

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

Just putting aluminium/copper tape in the control cavity and the back of the control plate will make a massive difference, p-90's unscrew pretty easily so whack some tape their too. If you really want to be anal you can wrap tape around the pickup wires too. It's pretty easy as far as DIY goes.

i thought the whole reason it worked at all was that you were basically creating a grounded cage? if its applied piece-meal do you still get some reduction?

there is what appears to be shielding paint in the cavity but damned if i know without buying a meter or something

its also a weirdly directional hum. like if i were to spin in a circle the hum cuts in and out at different times. happens whether im amped or plugged into my computer, and at every place ive ever played this thing. so weird..

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

They aren't actually very good either :ssh:.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
for the F of it here's my collection now

missing my strat because i keep it at work

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

man thats gross posted:

i thought the whole reason it worked at all was that you were basically creating a grounded cage? if its applied piece-meal do you still get some reduction?

you solder the pieces of tape to create a continuous connection, and run a wire between each cavity

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

comes along bort posted:

you solder the pieces of tape to create a continuous connection, and run a wire between each cavity

oh man :effort:

i guess as a grown goon i should own a soldering iron anyway but still

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

stratdax posted:

Also, it has built in, internal green LEDS that can light up and highlight all those lines in the body.

hahahaaaa it has that loving handle too. good god its ugly, rich people truly have no taste

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have never seen a classy looking Danelectro before, huh.

man thats gross posted:

there is what appears to be shielding paint in the cavity but damned if i know without buying a meter or something

its also a weirdly directional hum. like if i were to spin in a circle the hum cuts in and out at different times. happens whether im amped or plugged into my computer, and at every place ive ever played this thing. so weird..

Definitely sounds like your guitar is picking up interference from electronics due to lovely shielding, it probably is shielding paint, but shielding paint is rubbish really. Even kitchen foil is better.

I'm not sure if it's actually possible to create a Faraday cage with a guitar due to the jack-output(I'm not as clued up on electrics as I could be, anyone fancy weighing in?), but applying shielding in the right places makes a massive difference. You could also ground the electrics to something other than the bridge, but that requires pretty extensive soldering.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
maybe i should just build a faraday cage i can stand in and play in that seems simpler tbh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dirt posted:

i personally thing the cream on gold looks super lovely but ymmv, it's a classic look (that i personally hate but i also hate black strats with white pickguards and i also hate nonreverse firebirds so maybe i'm broken)

man thats gross posted:

just solder poo poo it makes your life easier

yeah everything should be quick connect by now but guitarists are stubborn

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

man thats gross posted:

shielding paint's easier to work with imho but you need to use several coats

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm not sure if it's actually possible to create a Faraday cage with a guitar due to the jack-output(I'm not as clued up on electrics as I could be, anyone fancy weighing in?), but applying shielding in the right places makes a massive difference. You could also ground the electrics to something other than the bridge, but that requires pretty extensive soldering.

some manufacturers run grounds straight from each pickup to the cavity in addition to the bridge/trem claw wire, kinda like a star ground

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 9, 2014

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

My friend has a quilted maple top guitar. His uncle makes custom guitars from scratch apparently and built him a really nice custom Tele. I never noticed the quilted maple because it's light blonde but at least it's seamless. I mentioned the other night that I didn't like the look of quilted maple and he insisted that his that I look at his guitar and started to open his case to show me how good it looked. I told him about this thread and I fear that he is butt-hurt about his love of ugly guitars and wanky guitar guys because he's a guitarist, and deep down, every self proclaimed guitar player is a hideous sperg monster that loves EVH's Eruption.

What should I do?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

shielding paint's easier to work with imho but you need to use several coats

It is a bit easier, but it takes longer to put enough coats on than it does to use foil, plus the paint is pretty pricey and aluminium tape is pretty cheap.

I prefer to 'star ground' my guitars, although I have been told by an electrician friend that it's technically not star-grounding or something, tbh I was pretty drunk.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

They aren't actually very good either :ssh:.
coeds? no i disagree sir they taste great with a little jagermeister and self-loathing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

What should I do?
'buddy as long as you like it and don't care that someone somewhere thinks it's uglier than Megan Fox's thumb it doesn't matter'

then pee in his butt

ps stop pm'ing me that the prism looks like the gay flag, I know, I live in Alabama, I've heard all the jokes. (not you Might Be Adam)

• Locked thread