Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

swickles posted:

There will be a pretty high profile QB prospect coming out of close by school that year...

I welcome any and all attempts at getting dumb Jacksonville residents to stop talking about Tebow by drafting a QB from FSU.

(Also please someone drive down I-95 and systematically destroy all of those "SIGN TEBOW" billboards, thanks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Declan MacManus posted:

Probably Bortles. Gabbert to Bortles. Not a quarterbacky succession of names at all

But the amount of catchphrases we can get out of Bortles is the best part!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Doltos posted:

I think the Jags would be smart to take Clowney, run the Henne train into the ground, and try for the top QB next year.

I thought that would be the TB route, but instead of Clowney it's Barr or Malik.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Quest For Glory II posted:

Lotta dead money if they did that, and Jeff Fisher's in too deep to start over now -- he might not get another season. If they stay where they are they probably take Matthews. I expect them to move though.

Bradford is gone. While cutting him creates $7M in dead money, it also saves $10M and they can designate him a June 1 cut to put half of that (a little over $3.5M) on 2015. It doesn't matter that Bradford isn't terrible; he's one of the league's highest-paid QBs and his contract is going to hurt the team in 2014 and 2015 if they don't dump him. You couple that with injuries and the #2 overall pick and there's just no reason to keep Bradford on the roster.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

swickles posted:

There will be a pretty high profile QB prospect coming out of close by school that year...

Like who?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Famous Jameis

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Well ya but I don't know any other QB worth a drat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

John Brown posted:

Well ya but I don't know any other QB worth a drat.

Hundley and Mariotta

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Who would the Rams go after for a QB in the draft? I'm gonna assume Bridgewater but I'm pretty confident he's going to Houston.

It occurs to me that the Rams could very well go Manziel & Evans in the first.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

But the amount of catchphrases we can get out of Bortles is the best part!

Plus it helps that his full name is alliterative. Bad Blake Bortles gonna run wild.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Bradford is gone. While cutting him creates $7M in dead money, it also saves $10M and they can designate him a June 1 cut to put half of that (a little over $3.5M) on 2015. It doesn't matter that Bradford isn't terrible; he's one of the league's highest-paid QBs and his contract is going to hurt the team in 2014 and 2015 if they don't dump him. You couple that with injuries and the #2 overall pick and there's just no reason to keep Bradford on the roster.

I think it depends on whether or not Fisher thinks he's got his guy. Other than Bridgewater you can realistically say they've got their pick of whoever they want, but I still don't think Fisher with his overly conservative history cuts a known quantity to try and build something two years into what you normally expect to be a three to four year process (building a contender).

Bradfords been pretty unlucky, he's either had; no coach, no protection, no receivers, no defensive help, injuries or a combination of the aforementioned every time he's laced 'em up.

If he goes somewhere stable, gently caress even somewhere unstable but with a good enough supporting cast I can see him continuing the play for at least a few more years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SlipUp posted:

Who would the Rams go after for a QB in the draft? I'm gonna assume Bridgewater but I'm pretty confident he's going to Houston.

It occurs to me that the Rams could very well go Manziel & Evans in the first.

If the Texans are stupid and take Bortles or if they go with defense and take Clowney I think the Rams take Bridgewater, else I think they trade down

BlindSite posted:

I think it depends on whether or not Fisher thinks he's got his guy. Other than Bridgewater you can realistically say they've got their pick of whoever they want, but I still don't think Fisher with his overly conservative history cuts a known quantity to try and build something two years into what you normally expect to be a three to four year process (building a contender).

Bradfords been pretty unlucky, he's either had; no coach, no protection, no receivers, no defensive help, injuries or a combination of the aforementioned every time he's laced 'em up.

If he goes somewhere stable, gently caress even somewhere unstable but with a good enough supporting cast I can see him continuing the play for at least a few more years.

Vince Young was also a known quantity

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vince Young tried to kill himself and had altercations with Fisher and was a huge problem in general. I don't think Jeff Fisher wanted to start Kerry Collins because Collins was this amazing quarterback or anything.

But I do think Fisher would prefer a veteran to a rookie.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It was Bud who ordered Vince into the starting lineup after that one Patriots game. If it were up to him, he'd just have McNair as QB forever, so for Bridgewater, yes, he'd run with him, but JFF, no, absolutely not. So they'll probably stay with Bradford.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

They can cut Bradford either of the next two years if they need to, and restructuring is always an option as well. I'd have to think they'd pursue a restructure before just cutting him loose and he'd prefer that too obviously.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BlindSite posted:

Yes, he's been unlucky. Yes, the team has had issues. But Bradford's contract is currently very unpalatable. I'm sure he could do well with the right situation, but he wherever he ends up, he won't be paid $14.5M per year.

The Rams are not currently in a great cap situation: Coming into 2014, the Rams currently have $124.8M (out of $126 in cap space) already against the cap, of which Bradford counts for $17.61M. They need around $7-8M for their rookie pool since they have two first round picks with the #2 overall, and while they don't have many important free agents to resign, they will want to retain T Roger Saffold, who had a very good year as both a pass protector and run blocker. They'll also want to retain G Shelley Smith and RFA C Tim Barnes, along with one or both of their safeties (though Giordano and Stewart aren't going to be expensive). Cutting Bradford is an easy move that frees the team up immediately with no further cuts required unless they want to get really splashy in free agency and it's a move they'll want to make around Bradford anyways.

bewbies posted:

They can cut Bradford either of the next two years if they need to, and restructuring is always an option as well. I'd have to think they'd pursue a restructure before just cutting him loose and he'd prefer that too obviously.

There are other cuts they can make (such as Finnegan) but none of these are as smart or easy as the Bradford cut. That said, they could also look to trade Bradford, which would be a better deal if they can make it work, though it would be low-leverage at best and Bradford's contract is a hard one to swallow.

Restructuring is an option, but that would mean doubling down on (or making it harder to cut) a guy who doesn't look like he's going to be the franchise QB. They'd essentially be betting on Bradford becoming the guy in the next two years, which seems like a pretty bad bet. Pursuing a trade is a far more likely scenario, but neither seems probable.

Bradford's preference would be to stay on the team at his current salary, because there's no situation in which he'll get paid more by another team.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 9, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kiper and McShay's Top 25s, updated 1/8. It looks like Bridgewater is making a slow, Geno-esque slip down their boards.

code:
Mel Kiper
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OLB	Anthony Barr
3. OT 	Jake Matthews
4. OT 	Greg Robinson
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. WR 	Sammy Watkins
7. TE 	Eric Ebron
8. QB 	Teddy Bridgewater
9. QB 	Blake Bortles
10. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
11. OT 	Taylor Lewan
12. QB 	Johnny Manziel
13. LB 	C.J. Mosley
14. WR 	Marqise Lee
15. WR 	Mike Evans
16. CB 	Justin Gilbert
17. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
18. RB 	Carlos Hyde
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. DE 	Kony Ealy
21. OLB Ryan Shazier
22. LB 	Vic Beasley
23. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
24. DT 	Louis Nix III
25. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Todd McShay
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OT 	Jake Matthews
3. OLB	Anthony Barr 	
4. WR 	Sammy Watkins
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. OT 	Greg Robinson
7. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
8. LB 	C.J. Mosley
9. WR 	Marqise Lee
10. OT 	Taylor Lewan
11. CB 	Justin Gilbert
12. QB 	Teddy Bridgewater
13. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
14. TE 	Eric Ebron
15. QB 	Blake Bortles
16. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
17. DT 	Louis Nix III
18. QB 	Johnny Manziel
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. WR 	Mike Evans
21. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
22. DT	Ra'Shede Hageman
23. OT 	Morgan Moses
24. CB 	Marcus Roberson
25. DE 	Scott Crichton

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ozu posted:

Kiper and McShay's Top 25s, updated 1/8. It looks like Bridgewater is making a slow, Geno-esque slip down their boards.

code:
Mel Kiper
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OLB	Anthony Barr
3. OT 	Jake Matthews
4. OT 	Greg Robinson
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. WR 	Sammy Watkins
7. TE 	Eric Ebron
8. QB 	Teddy Bridgewater
9. QB 	Blake Bortles
10. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
11. OT 	Taylor Lewan
12. QB 	Johnny Manziel
13. LB 	C.J. Mosley
14. WR 	Marqise Lee
15. WR 	Mike Evans
16. CB 	Justin Gilbert
17. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
18. RB 	Carlos Hyde
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. DE 	Kony Ealy
21. OLB Ryan Shazier
22. LB 	Vic Beasley
23. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
24. DT 	Louis Nix III
25. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Todd McShay
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OT 	Jake Matthews
3. OLB	Anthony Barr 	
4. WR 	Sammy Watkins
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. OT 	Greg Robinson
7. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
8. LB 	C.J. Mosley
9. WR 	Marqise Lee
10. OT 	Taylor Lewan
11. CB 	Justin Gilbert
13. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
14. TE 	Eric Ebron
15. QB 	Blake Bortles
16. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
17. DT 	Louis Nix III
18. QB 	Johnny Manziel
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. WR 	Mike Evans
21. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
22. DT	Ra'Shede Hageman
23. OT 	Morgan Moses
24. CB 	Marcus Roberson
25. DE 	Scott Crichton

Doesn't really mean much before the combine but why is Gilbert over Dennard?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

The center class is the weakest I can remember.
Nooooooooooo the Bengals really need an upgrade there. :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bridgewater's always been 7-8 with Kiper and McShay I thought? At this point I'm taking a little bit of a step back and waiting until the combine. I still want a quarterback, but let the process sort itself out a little bit before speculating.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Half of the articles on Bridgewater are pieces about how he's the next great, and the other half call him a more-polished Geno Smith

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I thought it was interesting that he's getting pegged as more of a high floor guy with a lower ceiling than Bortles. Still, this is meaningless stuff until the combine for them. Most of the other shifting happens at the Senior Bowl.

quote:

Bridgewater is currently the top QB prospect on our board, which is why he could be in the mix to be selected No. 1 overall by the Houston Texans. There are concerns about his long-term durability because of his frame, and he doesn't have as high of a ceiling as our No. 2 QB prospect, UCF's Blake Bortles. But he is a very polished prospect with great intangibles, and in the two most critical categories we evaluate quarterbacks in -- mental makeup and accuracy -- Bridgewater rates out very well.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I always assumed those two just reordered their top 20 over and over just to create controversy/clicks.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

After reading that article that was posted yesterday I'm convinced that Bridgewater is the best.

He's out there making pre-snap reads and adjustment like Manning and Luck. Then he follows that up with really good accuracy and decision-making.

E: Which of this year's QB class has the strongest arm? Murray?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've decided I want the Browns to draft Clowney, Evans, Bishop, and Murray as QB.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

John Brown posted:

After reading that article that was posted yesterday I'm convinced that Bridgewater is the best.

He's out there making pre-snap reads and adjustment like Manning and Luck. Then he follows that up with really good accuracy and decision-making.

E: Which of this year's QB class has the strongest arm? Murray?

Mettenberger probably?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think Fisher still loves Bradford, which means they will hold onto him. This also means that they will probably end up extending him. There is no way they keep that contract the way it is.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

By the way, I've been meaning to ask what happened to T-Rich? Was he just not as good as we thought last year?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

John Brown posted:

By the way, I've been meaning to ask what happened to T-Rich? Was he just not as good as we thought last year?

Trent Richardson? He was considered an NFL ready RB, every down guy. But in my opinion he had a great offensive line to help him with guys like Chance Warmack. In the actual NFL he came off to me as someone who couldn't accelerate to make gaps, didn't have the vision to find openings/holes, and instead became an RB who always ran up the gut and had to power the pile forward for 3-4 yards gain. We didn't have the OLine I guess to create his path.

Although for the Browns I'd have said, never let Vickers go because he helped Peyton Hilis that one year he had a good one.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ozu posted:

code:
Mel Kiper
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OLB	Anthony Barr
3. OT 	Jake Matthews
4. OT 	Greg Robinson
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. WR 	Sammy Watkins
7. TE 	Eric Ebron
8. QB 	Teddy Bridgewater
9. QB 	Blake Bortles
10. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
11. OT 	Taylor Lewan
12. QB 	Johnny Manziel
13. LB 	C.J. Mosley
14. WR 	Marqise Lee
15. WR 	Mike Evans
16. CB 	Justin Gilbert
17. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
18. RB 	Carlos Hyde
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. DE 	Kony Ealy
21. OLB Ryan Shazier
22. LB 	Vic Beasley
23. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
24. DT 	Louis Nix III
25. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Todd McShay
1. DE 	Jadeveon Clowney
2. OT 	Jake Matthews
3. OLB	Anthony Barr 	
4. WR 	Sammy Watkins
5. OLB 	Khalil Mack
6. OT 	Greg Robinson
7. DT 	Timmy Jernigan
8. LB 	C.J. Mosley
9. WR 	Marqise Lee
10. OT 	Taylor Lewan
11. CB 	Justin Gilbert
13. DE 	Stephon Tuitt
14. TE 	Eric Ebron
15. QB 	Blake Bortles
16. S 	Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
17. DT 	Louis Nix III
18. QB 	Johnny Manziel
19. CB 	Darqueze Dennard
20. WR 	Mike Evans
21. OT 	Cyrus Kouandjio
22. DT	Ra'Shede Hageman
23. OT 	Morgan Moses
24. CB 	Marcus Roberson
25. DE 	Scott Crichton

I don't know enough about all the teams to be super critical of this beyond the fact that they both have the Chiefs taking an OT with their first round pick? I just don't see that happening.

e: or is this just a BPA list?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't know enough about all the teams to be super critical of this beyond the fact that they both have the Chiefs taking an OT with their first round pick? I just don't see that happening.

e: or is this just a BPA list?

It's just a BPA, not a mock

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Does anyone think Mason declares today after that Rose Bowl performance?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

Doesn't really mean much before the combine but why is Gilbert over Dennard?

Because Kiper and McShay churn out a variety of different BPA lists with little to no valid explanation on why they're moving prospects around. They do this so they can point back at random BPA lists during ESPN broadcasts to seem smarter to the average viewer. In reality the draft is a complete crap shoot and if you can predict more than 50% of the first round picks then you're either lucky or something special.

I know they can't be serious about either list since they're putting Ebron in the top 15.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

I know they can't be serious about either list since they're putting Ebron in the top 15.

Ebron is really really good. I have nothing wrong with him being there and wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted top 15.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

Ebron is really really good. I have nothing wrong with him being there and wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted top 15.

I don't like any of the TE's enough to put them in the first. Ebron reminds me of a Delanie Walker who can't block.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I get real uneasy whenever I read a mock with the Jets taking either Ebron or Amaro. 2 TEs in the last 10 years have gone inside the top 20, Winslow and Vernon Davis. You need to be special to warrant that kind of value. Even last year's supposed best TE prospect in years in Eifert didn't crack the top 20.

I'd rather take a WR like Cooks than a TE.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

Ebron reminds me of a Delanie Walker who can't block.

So Delanie Walker

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

So Delanie Walker

Ok, but Ebron is taller I suppose.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vols LB A.J. Johnson announced that he will return to school for his senior season today. Huge news for a real young team next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Vols LB A.J. Johnson announced that he will return to school for his senior season today. Huge news for a real young team next year.

He announced it yesterday. Get your head in the game.

• Locked thread