Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Torka posted:

they're going to turn out to be intelligent like elephants and get really sad in captivity and we'll basically be huge dicks for bringing them back

Pleistocene Park is already set up in Siberia for them if they are made. It's their ideal habitat and very large.

boom boom boom posted:

How do I get permission to raise some of those in my backyard?

They are raised in captivity by collectors, but since they don't breed in captivity it diminishes the wild population :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Kimmalah posted:

Eh alcohol tastes kind of lovely. Which is why you drink it with other stuff in it because being drunk is fun. :haw:

On reflection, pretty sure that as long as I'm stuck with my parents, taking anything that might impair my judgement is a bad idea.

Livingtrope posted:

It's real cool that we have learned literally nothing from Jurassic park

nonono man, the dangerous animals are the carnivores, which the wooly mammoth is probably not. We should be totally safe!
Also, I can't imagine what kind of life such a creature would have. Would you have it raised by elephants? What if they reject the baby? Would it go crazy from not having a family unit of other mammoths?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

imo we should curb technological development in any area michael crichton has written a novel about

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pick posted:

Pleistocene Park is already set up in Siberia for them if they are made. It's their ideal habitat and very large.

neat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Livingtrope posted:

Don't worry, they'll hire security professionals without huge debts. Then there's no problem.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

I would build an enclosure!

life would find a way!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AriadneThread posted:

nonono man, the dangerous animals are the carnivores, which the wooly mammoth is probably not. We should be totally safe!
Also, I can't imagine what kind of life such a creature would have. Would you have it raised by elephants? What if they reject the baby? Would it go crazy from not having a family unit of other mammoths?

Most mammoth species were only elephant sized so elephant rules probably apply.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Torka posted:

pretty sure a cat would own a cat-sized frog in a fight :colbert:

Nah. A cat-sized frog would be a hell of a lot denser and stronger than a cat. It might get scratched all to hell but as soon as kitty gets shoved into that mouth, kitty's a goner.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

Most mammoth species were only elephant sized so elephant rules probably apply.

I swear if we bring back the mammoth I'm gonna touch one.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
cats are kind of pricks to frogs and leave their mummified bodies all over your poo poo so I'm good with either outcome tbh

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Mammoths are neat but there are a lot more goofy/cool elephant relatives we should be trying to clone, like this swagephant right here:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

glandmine posted:

cats are kind of pricks to frogs and leave their mummified bodies all over your poo poo so I'm good with either outcome tbh

True story: I found a mummified frog in my sandbox when I was little, then my mom found it in my pocket when she was doing the laundry. That frog was awesome. :c00l:

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

True story: I found a mummified frog in my sandbox when I was little, then my mom found it in my pocket when she was doing the laundry. That frog was awesome. :c00l:

we had a frog carcass tangled up in fence wire and nobody bothered to clean it up ever so for like 6 months there was frog bones dancing in the wind. I assume they lazarus'd and went on to better things

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

glandmine posted:

we had a frog carcass tangled up in fence wire and nobody bothered to clean it up ever so for like 6 months there was frog bones dancing in the wind. I assume they lazarus'd and went on to better things

I was a weird little kid. I remember finding a mouse skull outside once too, which along with the frog mummy was just like the coolest thing ever.

I think my mom thought I was a serial killer in the making sometimes. :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm serious I want to raise massive frogs in my backyard. I have the pumps and stuff to put in a pond, I've had koi ponds, I think I can handle massive endangered frogs.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Pick posted:

We're already at the point where most of the components are in line. The DNA we have is fragmented, but we've already managed to piece together fragmented DNA from other species. We have eggs from captive elephants. It's a big topic and I don't want to get into it all, but generally speaking there are huge hurdles but what seemed pie-in-the-sky twenty years ago is already being done. Dinosaurs have no chance though, that ship has sailed.

Not legit dinosaurs, but Jack Horner's been doing some silly poo poo with trying to modify chickens if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that's going well, because it's simultaneously dumb and awesome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Not legit dinosaurs, but Jack Horner's been doing some silly poo poo with trying to modify chickens if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that's going well, because it's simultaneously dumb and awesome.

Yeah, we've got chickens with teeth :D

And technically birds are dinosaurs. Just crappy ones :colbert:.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Pick posted:

Yeah, we've got chickens with teeth :D

Far as I know he's trying to go for the whole shebang, with teeth, longer tails and the oldschool wings-with-claws thing. :allears:

Birds are the coolest dinosaurs because they survived. Besides, look how badass the shoebill stork is. Tell me that thing doesn't look like a dinosaur.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Look at all of you trying desparately to pretend Pleistocene New Zealand megafauna weren't the best megafauna. An entire ecology dominated by birds! Bird apex predators! Fuckin' moas! New Zealand had it going on.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Say birds suck again and this goofy-looking bastard will straight-up disembowel a motherfucker

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

vaguely posted:

Say birds suck again and this goofy-looking bastard will straight-up disembowel a motherfucker

it has neck balls

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Pick posted:

Rude.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

Look at all of you trying desparately to pretend Pleistocene New Zealand megafauna weren't the best megafauna. An entire ecology dominated by birds! Bird apex predators! Fuckin' moas! New Zealand had it going on.

Haast's Eagle was loving terrifying

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pick posted:

it has neck balls

Red/blue neck balls and a giant head tooth. :haw:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Kimmalah posted:

Red/blue neck balls and a giant head tooth. :haw:

and it can still kick your rear end six ways to Sunday, that's how much of a badass it is

laugh at its chinballs, cassowary don't care

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

talk poo poo get 'et

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

vaguely posted:

and it can still kick your rear end six ways to Sunday, that's how much of a badass it is

laugh at its chinballs, cassowary don't care

Oh I know they can, I have a lot of respect for cassowary. But I'm still going to giggle behind its back I mean LOOK AT IT.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

talk poo poo get 'et

I've seen the whole series of photos, duck did NOT get et it got away.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Torka posted:

Haast's Eagle was loving terrifying

Moas were a flightless bird that was 12 feet tall and weighed over 500 pounds (230 kg)

this eagle hunted them

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Torka posted:

Moas were a flightless bird that was 12 feet tall and weighed over 500 pounds (230 kg)

this eagle hunted them

Fun fact: eagles used to hunt our ancestors, as evidenced by the talon holes punched in Australopithecine skulls like the "Taung baby."

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A Tin Of Beans posted:

talk poo poo get 'et

my favourite part of this picture is the expression on the duck, all OH MY ARE YOU TOUCHING MY BUTT, YOU CARD

Haast's eagle is part of Maori legend, it definitely ate people, and it was alive as recently as the 1400s. Humans drove it extinct not by hunting it, but by eating all of the moa.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

gently caress birds, i eat birds just to insult them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kimmalah posted:

Fun fact: eagles used to hunt our ancestors, as evidenced by the talon holes punched in Australopithecine skulls like the "Taung baby."

There's a fairly credible historical account of a golden eagle killing a little girl. Dinosaur attacks, MODERN DAY. thanks michael chriton :argh:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

every bird ive ever eaten has tasted good as gently caress are there any birds that taste bad

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pick posted:

There's a fairly credible historical account of a golden eagle killing a little girl. Dinosaur attacks, MODERN DAY. thanks michael chriton :argh:

Yeah I always just get a kick out of people who seem to think humans were always "BIG HUNTERS TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN" when in reality we've been prey until (relatively) recently. So many skulls with talon/big cat teeth holes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah I always just get a kick out of people who seem to think humans were "BIG HUNTERS TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN" when in reality we've been prey until (relatively) recently.

Very very very very few vertebrate species are always predator or prey. Even horses will eat meat as food of last resort.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pick posted:

Very very very very few vertebrate species are always predator or prey. Even horses will eat meat as food of last resort.

Well yeah, I don't mean 100% either way. Just that we make a great snack apparently!

(Also humans didn't rely on hunting nearly as much as some think and mostly lived off the "gathering" part of hunter-gatherer so there's that too).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, usually about 80:20 calories by gathering/hunting respectively. Again, similar to chimpanzees who eat a lot of fruits and veggies but by GOD they loving love flesh.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

I'm jealous of chimp strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

glandmine posted:

I'm jealous of chimp strength

Haha yeah chimp hunting basically consists of "knock monkey out tree, rip it limb from limb EAT :black101: "

The scariest thing is some of them have figured out how to use pointy sticks to catch rodents in tree stumps. A new spin on the termite stick I guess.

• Locked thread