Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Is there a memory leak in this game? I cant figure out why an 8 bit game is running sluggish at times,

I think your version might be missing a few bits if you only have 8

edit: gently caress, new page answer: This game is not completely optimized just yet, and even then it's a good degree more complicated than an '8 bit game' so even when it is optimized it will still be a bit resource needy and if you don't have what it needs then slowdowns and sluggishness will occur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Roflex posted:

I've done LAN games with a single friend and it worked okay, had a few worlds wiped when the server crashed ungracefully so make sure you're running it on the beefiest machine available or on its own machine.

In other news, all that's left is to package it and fix a few minor nitpicks (like the letters being in the wrong order):

Alright cool, thanks.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im trying to use the mining laser posted earlier, but Im not sure how to merge the player config file. Just pasting it in causes my game to not load.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

xxEightxx posted:

Is there a memory leak in this game? I cant figure out why an 8 bit game is running sluggish at times,

Starbound is not an "8-bit game" in any sense.

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014

KoB posted:

Im trying to use the mining laser posted earlier, but Im not sure how to merge the player config file. Just pasting it in causes my game to not load.

If it's the beam one desideratus posted earlier, you just throw it into your starbound/mods folder and extract it.The filepath should end up Steam/Steamapps/common/Starbound/Mods/MOD FOLDER WITH ALL THE poo poo IN IT.

No mucking around with the .config yourself at all.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Well, I feel pretty dumb. For two weeks I have been playing this game thinking I can't wait for it to be better optimized and run better on my machine. I love the concept, but have only been able to take small bits of play at a time, because it has been so frustratingly sluggish.

Well, it turns out that this game isn't so bad at all, once you do two things:

1) Turn off the Steam overlay for Starbound. (right click in library, properties, uncheck steam community)
2) Make sure that Steam isn't running in compatability mode at all, including checking the registry. I used this guide.

These two things have completely transformed Starbound from a sluggish and barely playable game, into a smooth running and very fun experience. I recommend everyone try it. I wish this information was in the OP. Someone probably mentioned it early on in the thread and I missed it because I read the OP and skipped to more recent posts.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Check out what I found on the Nexus

Dragon Dildos mod

NSFW http://i.imgur.com/OHQg1zo.png NSFW

NSFW http://i.imgur.com/dwUTUVZ.gif NSFW

:staredog: Dear god how do these people exist

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Starting in on the Mantizi armor sets. Working in reverse. Here's t10, "Gladiator's Carapace"

These are so good, nice work. I'm not sure whether they're quite grand enough for t10 armour though, other races have elaborate crazyness for their top armour.

Raskolnikov posted:

Come on character wipe! I want to start playing again!

Yeah, I'm in this boat too. Hope it's soon, I didn't quite realise this patch would be weeks in coming otherwise I might not have decided to hold off until it drops before playing again.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cake Bandit posted:

gently caress YEAH LEATHER PANTS.

Ai! Oh! Let's go! Ai! Oh! Let's go!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Huh, so I've found out that while Starbound runs at a smoother/more stable framerate on my laptop than my desktop (for reasons that are completely beyond me), my laptop exhibits that annoying "planet hasn't finished loading yet" issue that prevents you from beaming down to a planet sometimes. I'm not really sure why that'd happen, like I said, the laptop runs about as well as the desktop, and while the laptop doesn't have as much RAM it still has 4 gigs, which should be more than enough if the game's memory usage on the desktop (which has 8) is any indication. Also while I was trying to figure out what the deal with the teleport issue was, I did a fair amount of browsing the official forums, and what's up with all the really weirdly catty people in the tech support section?

EDIT: I could swear I'd deleted the ~, not the 4 in that sentence.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 9, 2014

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I noticed if Steam is running in compatibility mode it will seriously affect your framerate. I also ran Steam as administrator too, fixed my problem. I also updated my Nvidia video drivers if you haven't done that yet. Now my game runs pretty smooth after being borderline unplayable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh sweet lord, using a pickaxe to break blocks one at a time in Terraria has become a hellish nightmare after getting used to taking them out in chunks in Starbound :shepface:

EDIT: On the other hand, I feel like some kind of Olympian God with how much damage I can take and dish out when it comes to common enemies using just the clothes on my back and a wooden sword.

Oh, a zombie horde and flying eyeballs. I guess I could stop to build shelter, but why bother?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 9, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wheezle posted:

If a game has visible pixels in its graphics it needs to run on my old 486. :colbert:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I threw together a 360 controller setup for Starbound in xpadder. It's not comprehensive but it works well enough. Holding the left bumper (L1) switches to a fixed shot mode or a fine cursor movement mode, depending on what you're using it for.

Been getting some thanks for it on Steam so might as well post it here too. It's not perfect so any improvements or feedback is welcome.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/02KR0WG4/Starbound_xpadder_concept.zip_links

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well poo poo, the mob has spoken, gotta go make these Skellies all space-90s-rad.

I should have a barebones (ohohoho) release up in a bit that's literally just their bodies. Amt I'm just redrawing human legs as skeleton ones and it's confusing my brain. But it looks good in motion!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Well poo poo, the mob has spoken, gotta go make these Skellies all space-90s-rad.

I should have a barebones (ohohoho) release up in a bit that's literally just their bodies. Amt I'm just redrawing human legs as skeleton ones and it's confusing my brain. But it looks good in motion!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, ongoing, if anything.

This is pretty rad.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Dragon Dildos mod

Of course it's from the Nexus; I don't think I have the right to complain about this since I'm waiting for Roflex' mod so that I can write profanities on all my walls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It originated on the Starbound forums but was quietly removed :ssh:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

CJacobs posted:

It originated on the Starbound forums but was quietly removed :ssh:

Not quietly enough it seems!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

Dragon Dildos mod

It's been their featured mod for like a week too. There's some tits and dicks stuff up too.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

xxEightxx posted:

There is, the devs are aware of it and it'll be fixed when it's fixed. The workaround for now is to restart the game when it starts getting sluggish after a long session. If your game is always sluggish, check the steam fixes Apple Craft posted earlier on this page and/or try running the OpenGL version from the launcher.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chalks posted:

These are so good, nice work. I'm not sure whether they're quite grand enough for t10 armour though, other races have elaborate crazyness for their top armour.

Yeah, I thought that too, but I figured with t10s like the Apex around, it should be fine. When I do the other 9 (the Assassin's Creed style robes I'm doing for t9 is going to destroy me) I'm hoping it give me better perspective on each design so I can really flesh them out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok guys here is the super secret first tiny part of my Skelly race.

poo poo that is in:
  • Male and Female Skeletons
  • All animations except climbing 'cos I don't think that is in and I am lazy
  • A Race Icon
  • Bone and Eye Socket colours
  • Hair
  • Namegen (I got "Skull Skull")
  • Some intro Fluff

poo poo you'll need:
:siren:THIS MOD:siren:

poo poo I want to add:
  • A skull ship
  • Racial gear (it's all default human stuff atm)
  • NPCs
  • Skeleton Puns
  • Item descriptions, though that might be suuuper annoying to do.
  • EDIT: Proper emotes!

So please you rad dudes, give it a shot, and send me screens because I totally need 'em!

Oh also let me know if any pixels are sticking out from under clothes, especially with the female Skellies. I think I got most of them!

Also yes I'm calling them Skellies.

Edit: Fixed the starter sword not showing up.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 9, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shoehead posted:

poo poo that is in:
  • A Race Icon
  • Hair
  • Some intro Fluff

poo poo you'll need:

poo poo I want to add:
  • A skull ship
  • NPCs
  • Skeleton Puns

So please you rad dudes, give it a shot, and send me screens because I totally need 'em!

Oh also let me know if any pixels are sticking out from under clothes, especially with the female Skellies. I think I got most of them!

If you need any help writing lore, descriptions, dialogue etc. I am 100% down. These dudes own and you own for making them.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

These guys/girls are all roller coaster operators right?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Wheezle posted:

It was a tongue in cheek reference because of the graphics. I didn't think anyone would believe I thought it was an 8-bit game. whoops.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Shoehead posted:

poo poo that is in:
  • A Race Icon
  • Hair
  • Some intro Fluff

poo poo you'll need:

poo poo I want to add:
  • A skull ship
  • NPCs
  • Skeleton Puns

Their ship needs to be the spaceship equivalent of a Ghost Train after Xibit gets his hands on it.

They are also going to need a death animation that is literally them collapsing into a pile of bones.

Finally, if it's possible to make their racial weapons into literal extensions of their arm that can be hotswapped in and out as necessary, it must be done.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Can we get a list of goon-mods added to the OP? Or is there already a place to find them? Between the kick-rear end geode guys, the skeletons, the mining laser, the ships... I'm not sure what's in progress, what's done, or what's just a "here's an idea" mod!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

quote:

@Tiyuri: To clarify, the next update will make characters backwards compatible, meaning no more character wipes. Including ships.

Now I'm genuinely curious how they're pulling it off! :) But yay for this making sure ships are safe, too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I've already deleted my old saves but it's nice to know going forward that wipes will be a thing of the past.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIIelfm6zA

Quick and dirty

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Dragon Dildos mod

You were expecting anything else? This is from a community that built a MLP mod within a week of the game's release.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

You should make it so that the cloning machine malfunctions and throws sparks or smoke or something, like the machine breaks before it could finish cloning the entire person. Hence just the Skelly comes out.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

E-Tank posted:

You were expecting anything else? This is from a community that built a MLP mod within a week of the game's release.

And people wonder why aliens have not contacted us yet.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm thinking the Skellie respawn animation should be them rising out of a grave.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

E-Tank posted:

When PvP exists I will become an MLP Bounty Hunter. Nix that, simply an MLP Hunter. I take none alive.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cryohazard posted:

They are also going to need a death animation that is literally them collapsing into a pile of bones.

I like the idea of their respawn animation being the opposite of this: a pile of bones that twitches and then reassembles into a skeleton (like a red skeleton in Castlevania)

EDIT: VVVVVVVV Okay, that's way better. I fully support this idea.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 9, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
No, a human body should step out of a cloning tube and then the Skelly just suddenly explodes out in slow motion, throwing up a peace sign while blood and meat just flies everywhere.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I've been out of the loop for a while, are there any mods that help distinguishing ores for colorblind people? That was my main beef with terraria, and Starbound default ores are even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fishstick posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, are there any mods that help distinguishing ores for colorblind people? That was my main beef with terraria, and Starbound default ores are even worse.

It's hard even for people who aren't colorblind. I am completely incapable of differentiating silver and titanium without digging it up. Coal and iron can get hard too depending on the color of the dirt they're in.

• Locked thread