Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My limited experience with paleo diets is that the people on them develop some kind of brain disease that makes them incapable of having a single conversation without somehow bringing it up.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I am putting peanut butter in my next cup of coffee. I like PB and coffee and am curious. I am not paleo. My diet plan is this: Eat food, mostly roasted or raw plants, no endangered animals. Thank you, Michael Pollan, for making a convenient description for me.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Enfys posted:

My limited experience with paleo diets is that the people on them develop some kind of brain disease that makes them incapable of having a single conversation without somehow bringing it up.

Over the summer, a guy started the paleo thing and then spent the next several months doing his best to spread it to the entire cycling club by talking about it nonstop in ways eerily similar to joining some kind of cult.

Any conversation would start with something like "do you want to know what I had for breakfast this morning? Just guess!"

NO. I don't care what anyone has for breakfast. If you went out and punched sharks to death to eat for breakfast, it would be interesting, but people who carry cooked sausages into their cycling jerseys and never shut up about how putting butter in their coffee has changed their life are just smelly and annoying.

But who knows, maybe there are closet butter coffee paleos out there who don't obsess about it to any hapless bystanders.

Yes. I mentioned earlier in the thread, my boyfriend's mom is not only paleo, but vegan and oil-free as well. Dinners out with her are excruciating.

The worst is when she makes little pouty faces because someone had the nerve to order something that she can't/won't have a bite of. I once spent an entire brunch listening to her talk about how awful my boyfriend was for ordering (delicious) bananas foster French toast.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

poopkitty posted:

I am putting peanut butter in my next cup of coffee. I like PB and coffee and am curious. I am not paleo. My diet plan is this: Eat food, mostly roasted or raw plants, no endangered animals. Thank you, Michael Pollan, for making a convenient description for me.

Paleo people were pretty much the grand champions of eating endangered animals though. :getin:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

How in the gently caress can you be paleo and vegan?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Not very well. I think she describes herself as "a raw food/paleo vegan". She cheats constantly and then blames it on a conspiracy against vegetarians. BF's stepdad has the patience of a saint.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Not very well. I think she describes herself as "a raw food/paleo vegan". She cheats constantly and then blames it on a conspiracy against vegetarians. BF's stepdad has the patience of a saint.

How are you able to understand her, when she speaks?

I imagined that when someones head is that far up their own rear end, it would inhibit their ability to talk.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Is she really hot at least?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

How are you able to understand her, when she speaks?

I imagined that when someones head is that far up their own rear end, it would inhibit their ability to talk.

I zone out a lot of the time. It's not like she gives anyone else a chance to talk anyway, all I have to do is nod when she pauses to take a breath.

All Of The Dicks posted:

Is she really hot at least?

Not gonna lie, she looks really good for her age. That's more to do with the fact that she teaches yoga than the myriad of dumb diets she goes on, though

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

interestingly tho teaching yoga and believing a bunch of crazy poo poo probably correlates

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

Marlene Zuk's book "Paleofantasy" is really good on this whole issue.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Yes. I mentioned earlier in the thread, my boyfriend's mom is not only paleo, but vegan and oil-free as well. Dinners out with her are excruciating.

The worst is when she makes little pouty faces because someone had the nerve to order something that she can't/won't have a bite of. I once spent an entire brunch listening to her talk about how awful my boyfriend was for ordering (delicious) bananas foster French toast.
Simultaneously excited to learn about bananas foster and depressed that I can't have some right now.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

bathroom sounds posted:

Simultaneously excited to learn about bananas foster and depressed that I can't have some right now.

It's sooo good, and the French toast was awesome (though apparently it would've been much better with almond butter and soy milk instead of real butter and eggs). It also works with plaintains and is incredible with ice cream.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

banana's foster is easy if you got the ingredients

and id hope you know how to make good french toast because everyone who cannot is probably to stupid to live

my brother once made "french toast" by cooking it in a pan he sprayed a bunch of non-stick cooking spray into

i wanted to die when i saw that

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I can't be bothered to cook nice for myself 99% of the time.

Why would I have french toast with bananas foster when I could have some of last night's leftovers or maybe some instant oatmeal?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I had never heard of bananas foster before, but now I feel deprived

Non stick cooking sprays are an abomination.

French toast is better savoury than sweet though

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

aside from having to clean dishes good french toast dont really take a lot more time than instant oatmeal but understood

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

If I'm just cooking for myself, I don't pull out any bells and whistles. The less prep/dishes the better.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Gravity's Rainbow introduced me to Bananas Foster long ago. God, that loving first chapter.

Also if you've never made french toast with challah then you are Missing Out on some seriously good times

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I hear 'bananas foster' and all I can think is: why are the bananas orphans? how sad.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i'm gonna be in the paper getting my flu shot :D

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
flu shots are for babies

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

flu shots are for babies

flu shots are for protecting babies via herd immunity

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
maybe but they make me feel like poo poo whenever I've gotten one. :(

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

maybe but they make me feel like poo poo whenever I've gotten one. :(

now who's the baby

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it's you

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i don't like feeling badly. i also happen to be averse to needles.

it's a hard life.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Please no one try to defend your lovely selfish decision to not get a flu shot.
(I'm also a hypocrite but I know I'm dumb and bad for not doing it)

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2014

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

i don't like feeling badly. i also happen to be averse to needles.

it's a hard life.

you're not going to get any sympathy for being a baby about needles at the expense of the wellbeing of those around you

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It would probably help if adults still got a lollipop and a cheap toy for being good at the doctor's

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

It would probably help if adults still got a lollipop and a cheap toy for being good at the doctor's

i made due with an ancient cough drop i found in my car

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I would get two flu shots if they came with those awesome spiderman stickers I see little kids get

god dammit why can't I get a spiderman sticker?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

everyone should willingly subject themselves to needles and give blood anyways, unless they have a blood disease or something

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what if crippling anxiety

also flu shots actually work?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Enfys posted:

every subculture convert is like that. new religion, new diet, became a brony, they all want to talk to you about it

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
My work forces me to get a flu shot (and pays for them). I've gotten them two years in a row. I did not contract the flu either of those years. Thus they totally work. Trust me, i'm in IT

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

I would get two flu shots if they came with those awesome spiderman stickers I see little kids get

god dammit why can't I get a spiderman sticker?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

NecroMonster posted:

what if crippling anxiety

also flu shots actually work?

get over your crippling anxiety and face to bloodshed

and yeah of course they work, anti-vaxxers don't know what the hell they're talking about

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Those aren't the same, I want the BIG round ones that come on the big fancy roll :colbert:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it's not a magical shield or anything, you can still get the flu but the symptoms will be severely lessened if you got vaccinated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

Those aren't the same, I want the BIG round ones that come on the big fancy roll :colbert:

can't find a spider-man one but this one has animals on it http://www.amazon.com/100-Zoo-Animal-Roll-Stickers/dp/B005WZKQ02/ref=pd_sim_t_66

• Locked thread