Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I've had this song in my head and I can almost hear the tune to it but can't put a lyric to tit or the name of the artist or even the song. It's just really catchy and I'm trying to find it so I can listen to it again. It strikes me as a dance song. Might be rock, might be pop.

I remember seeing it on TV as a music video in the late 90s/early 2000. It had a somewhat Hollywood Squares set up to it where there were people dancing in those boxes (in shadow or not, I'm not sure...). This is the one detail I am absolutely sure of.

This is probably extremely vague but if someone knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about, I will be so grateful.

I want to say the artist MIGHT be "Elvis" but I don't know if that's even right. I thought it might be Elvis Costello but nothing suggested it.

e: I am such a goddamn idiot. I just FOUND it right after I made this post. It was "A Little Less Conversation" for by "Elvis vs JLX."

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

quaint bucket posted:

I've had this song in my head and I can almost hear the tune to it but can't put a lyric to tit or the name of the artist or even the song. It's just really catchy and I'm trying to find it so I can listen to it again. It strikes me as a dance song. Might be rock, might be pop.

I remember seeing it on TV as a music video in the late 90s/early 2000. It had a somewhat Hollywood Squares set up to it where there were people dancing in those boxes (in shadow or not, I'm not sure...). This is the one detail I am absolutely sure of.

This is probably extremely vague but if someone knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about, I will be so grateful.

I want to say the artist MIGHT be "Elvis" but I don't know if that's even right. I thought it might be Elvis Costello but nothing suggested it.

is it this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_6F-nCaw

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

quaint bucket posted:

e: I am such a goddamn idiot. I just FOUND it right after I made this post. It was "A Little Less Conversation" for by "Elvis vs JLX."

It was also the theme song to the television series "Las Vegas" which used to get a lot of play on TNT recently.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

[Did not know that. That would explain why I had the tune in my head...?

quote="Paperhouse" post="424194841"]
is it this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_6F-nCaw
[/quote]

That's the one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Heard this on the radio this morning, didn't catch the name of the song or artist, it was a hip hop song that started with a really emotional phone call from the rapper's father, and thats pretty much all I can remember about it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Reason posted:

Heard this on the radio this morning, didn't catch the name of the song or artist, it was a hip hop song that started with a really emotional phone call from the rapper's father, and thats pretty much all I can remember about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNBpzSWeYRI maybe?

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

Did That on Television posted:

I forget how I found out about the song and I don't remember anything else about it beyond it may have been called "Snowing" and it was maybe six minutes long. I think it was a band associated with slowcore or space rock or ambient pop genres from the 1990s. The band was maybe one word as well, and I think I found out about them on allmusic since all their albums were four or five stars and they had maybe three of them only. Sorry this is incredibly vague, anyone know what I'm talking about?

I FINALLY FOUND THE SONG AND BAND!

It's "First Snow" by Landing. It seems I was right about their being Mormon too, as allmusic says: "Low have something of a reputation as being the Mormon slo-core band, but they're not the only softly narcotic group of recent vintage with connections to that faith. Based around the husband and wife team of Aaron and Adrienne Snow, who met at Brigham Young University in 1994 and moved to Connecticut later in the decade, Landing is a fine, generally instrumental group whose music betrays open influences from such fine bands as the Cure, Slowdive and any number of dreamy space/post-rock bands of the '90s."

I need to get into this kind of music more, I think. I like the song a lot actually.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks this was it. You are awesome.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I have a song in my head I can't identify. I remember hating the song but it's annoying me. One of those.

It was a massive late 90s/early 2000s radio hit. Female vocals, sassy RnB, something like Destiny's Child or TLC. I thought it was Whitney Huston but I don't think it is. The tiny fragment I have in my head is a quick little backing melody thing, and I have the lyric "it ain't for show". Google gives me nothing.

A scrap. Can anyone pick it up?

e: oh my friend just got it! Say My Name by Destiny's Child. Hooray, now I can sleep.

e2: it doesn't even contain that lyric! it's a miracle.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 10, 2014

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
I'm back and looking for another one, it sounds like some sort of 80s, lo-fi, boogie funk stuff, but I can't put my finger on it.

Sample here: http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/61964578/file.html

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike Cartwright posted:

I'm back and looking for another one, it sounds like some sort of 80s, lo-fi, boogie funk stuff, but I can't put my finger on it.

Sample here: http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/61964578/file.html

Dr John - Jetset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjT_lFbzohQ

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Thanks, seems like my sample is some sort of edit, but the OG is swell as well.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike Cartwright posted:

Thanks, seems like my sample is some sort of edit, but the OG is swell as well.

Yeah I noticed that, but I wasn't too sure if you'd got it off some mix or whatever. Hopefully might at least be a starting point?

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah I noticed that, but I wasn't too sure if you'd got it off some mix or whatever. Hopefully might at least be a starting point?

I grabbed it off from Trushmix 49 & their mixes are usually vinyl only, but I wasn't able to find any edits pressed on vinyl and the instrumental version of Jet Set lacks the vocal cuts from the mix, but yeah, thanks for the info anyway, will have some more digging to do.

Recorcholis
Jun 11, 2006
De acuerdo.
Does anyone know this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIi7kDiBknA
sorry the video is not very long

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Actually had one that I probably should know today, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not helped by being played at the grocery store. I could swear it sounded like The Go-Go's, and the hook had the word "Dreaming" (possibly "Dreamin'") repeated a number of times. Definitely had that tom-driven drum chart that made me think Go-Go's. But, again, grocery store, and my hearing's not so good in large, echoey spaces.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Allen Wren posted:

Actually had one that I probably should know today, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not helped by being played at the grocery store. I could swear it sounded like The Go-Go's, and the hook had the word "Dreaming" (possibly "Dreamin'") repeated a number of times. Definitely had that tom-driven drum chart that made me think Go-Go's. But, again, grocery store, and my hearing's not so good in large, echoey spaces.

Dreaming by Blondie?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
There's a song that Eddie Vedder sings. Unsure if it's solo, pearl jam, or otherwise. I believe it came out in the mid 2000s. I don't remember any of the lyrics but it's a slower song and more mellow/perhaps slightly depressing/emotional sounding. Sorry my description is so drat terrible. Help?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In one, thanks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

falz posted:

There's a song that Eddie Vedder sings. Unsure if it's solo, pearl jam, or otherwise. I believe it came out in the mid 2000s. I don't remember any of the lyrics but it's a slower song and more mellow/perhaps slightly depressing/emotional sounding. Sorry my description is so drat terrible. Help?
"I Am Mine"?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Negative. I'm beginning to wonder if i just think it's him and it's really not. (For the longest time I assumed that Rusted Root/Send me on my way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMabBGydC0 was David Byrne)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

falz posted:

Last Kiss?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B-hJ_gotc

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

falz posted:

If it's mid-2000s solo Eddie Vedder, it might be from the Into the Wild soundtrack that he did. Otherwise it's kind of hard to pin down because your description could cover a lot of Pearl Jam songs.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A few years ago on an indie station, I heard a dude singing over a guitar and a violin. Refrain included a something like " Helped me become the man I was meant to be ".

In case it's relevant, this was on a station up by Boston. And the violin owned.

edit: I should point out it was like an acoustic indie rock deal and I think there was a drummer involved

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2014

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Re: Pearl Jam. Found the song I was looking for - Just Breathe. And I guess it was newer than I thought. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuq7RYQ8Wa0

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm trying to work out what the xylophone(?) track that starts at 36.51 on this BBC TV show is (that's an iPlayer link so it might not work for everyone). I recognised it from a sample in this instrumental skate video soundtrack (the part starts around 13 seconds with the main melody coming in at 0.30) but can't find a name for the original.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 22, 2014

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Tenterhooks posted:

I'm trying to work out what the xylophone(?) track that starts at 36.51 on this BBC TV show is (that's an iPlayer link so it might not work for everyone). I recognised it from a sample in this instrumental skate video soundtrack (the part starts around 13 seconds with the main melody coming in at 0.30) but can't find a name for the original.

It's one of the Phillip Glass songs off his Amazon River album, maybe Xingu River? Cant recall exactly which one off the top of my head.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Abugadu posted:

It's one of the Phillip Glass songs off his Amazon River album, maybe Xingu River? Cant recall exactly which one off the top of my head.

Close! It was Japura River. Thanks so much. Should've known - if it's background music on a BBC show, it's gonna be Philip Glass.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Might be a long shot, but can I get a title on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukrDx7JfBw

I'm pretty sure it's Inti Illimani. I used to have that song, must have been ten years ago, and I'd forgotten all about it.

e: it might be the Grim Fandango soundtrack :shobon:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 22, 2014

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Accretionist posted:

A few years ago on an indie station, I heard a dude singing over a guitar and a violin. Refrain included a something like " Helped me become the man I was meant to be ".

In case it's relevant, this was on a station up by Boston. And the violin owned.

edit: I should point out it was like an acoustic indie rock deal and I think there was a drummer involved

I know that Guster sometimes use violins, it might be them.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

Might be a long shot, but can I get a title on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukrDx7JfBw

I'm pretty sure it's Inti Illimani. I used to have that song, must have been ten years ago, and I'd forgotten all about it.

e: it might be the Grim Fandango soundtrack :shobon:

Yeah, I was gonna say I recognized it from something Lucasarts (though I was originally guessing Monkey Island). But you're right, it's this track specifically.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks! Grim Fandango was actually even my first thought but I didn't find it on a cursory youtubing, so I defaulted to Inti Illimani.

e: while I'm here though, here's another one, and I don't have much to go on:

- 50s/early 60s single, nothing you'd know as a casual listener (so not Herman's Hermits or The Zombies or anything)
- four-line verses, almost monotonous with little melodic variation, same melody for each line, only the last note gets lower with each line
- in one of the verses the last line goes something like "you got me ___ing on a cloud", can't remember what exactly
- each verse is immediately followed by two lines that are just "doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doo", no chorus otherwise
- singer might be named Tommy (but not Tommy Roe, either) and might not be
- only time I ever heard it was on one of those youtube channels that show off old 45 records, the video was just the record playing

... yeah. Good luck, I guess.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 22, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

Thanks! Grim Fandango was actually even my first thought but I didn't find it on a cursory youtubing, so I defaulted to Inti Illimani.

e: while I'm here though, here's another one, and I don't have much to go on:

- 50s/early 60s single, nothing you'd know as a casual listener (so not Herman's Hermits or The Zombies or anything)
- four-line verses, almost monotonous with little melodic variation, same melody for each line, only the last note gets lower with each line
- in one of the verses the last line goes something like "you got me ___ing on a cloud", can't remember what exactly
- each verse is immediately followed by two lines that are just "doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doopy doo", no chorus otherwise
- singer might be named Tommy (but not Tommy Roe, either) and might not be
- only time I ever heard it was on one of those youtube channels that show off old 45 records, the video was just the record playing

... yeah. Good luck, I guess.

It doesn't fit your description exactly, but the first thing to come to mind was The Turtles - You Showed Me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nope, not the one. It was faster than that, and more sparsely instrumented - don't think there was an organ and I'm also pretty sure no harmony vocals. Man I hope I'm not totally wrong on the 50s/60s thing.

e: the video may also have just been a shot of the record label. I'm looking through youtube accounts dedicated to 60s vinyl hoping something will seem familiar, and that seems pretty common as well. (It's the least efficient method to find a song.)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 23, 2014

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
-Late 90s/early 2000s pop/dance song, was on the radio all the time
-I think it's a remix of a decades earlier pop song
-Starts with 3 chords on the piano that basically run throughout the song (Bb F C if I had to guess)

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Balls Macintosh posted:

-Late 90s/early 2000s pop/dance song, was on the radio all the time
-I think it's a remix of a decades earlier pop song
-Starts with 3 chords on the piano that basically run throughout the song (Bb F C if I had to guess)

Maybe Praise You?

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
YES

spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
I was in the US before xmas and a song came on the radio. The lyrics to the chorus were something like....

'Too far for me to wait tomorrow' or something like that

It sounded very John Frusciante-esq. But it wasn't Frusciante.

It's been bugging me for ages.

I was in North Carolina, if it was like a smallish time band..

TIA! :)

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

There's a sample (the instrumental part that I think is a synthesizer) that I vaguely recognize, but can't name in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpahIlWkYs
It has been bugging me for years and I somehow never noticed this thread until now. Does anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

spatula massacre posted:

'Too far for me to wait tomorrow' or something like that
When I read that I immediately thought of Plush by Stone Temple Pilots but I've no idea if John Frusciante sounds like them or not. I think there's an acoustic version though, so maybe that?

Portable Staplefrog posted:

There's a sample (the instrumental part that I think is a synthesizer) that I vaguely recognize, but can't name in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpahIlWkYs
It has been bugging me for years and I somehow never noticed this thread until now. Does anyone know?
That's Hot Stuff by Donna Summer.