Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Yay or nay on Magic Knight Rayearth?
It goes from okay to decent. Kind of a generic fantasy anime till they get the giant god robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Thanks for all the One Piece recommendations. I guess I'll have to check the manga at some point when I have the time. This thread delivers in unexpected manners.

Also, late replies for these two:

TheEye posted:

(posted about Juuni Kokuki (Twelve Kingdoms))
Thanks for the novel translation links, I'll have to check those and check if I can get them into a format understandable by my 9" android tablet.

TheDemon posted:

(posted about Juuni Kokuki (Twelve Kingdoms))
I've been meaning to check The Last Airbender at some point, will have to keep that recommendation in mind.

As for recommendations related to Juuni Kokuki , while perhaps too obvious, I felt that Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit) hit very similar notes as Juuni Kokuki did. Definitely some character progression, similar setting and a strong female lead. Unexpectedly I was left wanting for more action scenes as the ones in the series reminded me of some "historical" Chinese action flicks. Loved the uniqueness of the spear fighting and the sound direction used in the fights. The first "chase" scene had excellent musical direction as well. The supernatural parts of the story felt way less grating and hamfisted compared to Juuni Kokuki. I would go as far as relating a bit to Asano in Juuni Kokuki as to hating the supernatural, non-sensical way of the world working, so the way Seirei No Moribito was in this respect was a refreshing change.

For some strange reason, in Seirei no Moribito the scene where Sagum finally overtly displays his anxiousness about being guarded by Balsa and Tanda and them laughing it off really impressed me. One of the very few showings of similar emotions where the delivery didn't feel forced in respect to Sagum. I actually laughed it off myself as well that exact moment.

Otherwise excellent series, but one thing really grated me. The abuse of children in a violent manner by people who they trust. I mean of course the slapping of Balsa and the slapping of Sagum by Balsa. Not to mention with enough force to force them to the ground. gently caress that device and its overusage of "making someone to come into their senses" in this medium. I don't care how it fits the psuedo-historical setting of the timeline - I mean, for all purposes Balsa is progressive otherwise. Or how it fits into Japanese mentality. Is violence towards children as a disciplinary action still lawful/regarded more acceptable in Japan than in Western societies? I don't have such an image, but all the poo poo I keep hearing about women's rights in the country and what-not wouldn't make me surprised if it was.

Seirei no Moribito also seems to have English-translated novels, available in my pesky country's (5 million population) bookstores :aaaaa: . I might have to pick some of those up.

fake edit: For someone who stumbles across this post and thinks Seirei no Moribito is unredeemable because of the child violence part, it's two isolated, extremely brief moments in the entire series and there doesn't seem to be a prevalent similar mood in the show for allowing poo poo like that, so don't judge the entire series by that thing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Violet_Sky posted:

Been a while but I don't remember being terribly enthralled. If you're looking for Magical Girls By Clamp, and don't really care about the swords & sorcery setting, Cardcaptor Sakura is surprisingly enjoyable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Violet_Sky posted:

The manga is pretty good and is compiled into two omnibus volumes in NA. So yay on that. On the anime? I'd lean more toward nay. I personally liked it okay, but it has a lot of bloat, and it definitely shows its age in a bad way.

CardCaptor Sakura is by far one of the better CLAMP series to be animated and I'd recommend it instead as it has held up remarkably well. If you're dead set on MKR though, you could do worse, but with so much stuff out there, why bother?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I made a page for Love Lab, my favourite comedy of this summer, so if you liked it, you too can post your opinions for the internet to see.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I gave Kill la Kill another chance and loved it. Got all the way to episode 12.

Why do I have to wait!?!?!? :(

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
So I got around to giving Toradora another shot and, well, I'm not exactly sure why I didn't get into it the first time around. Maybe I just kinda forgot about it or something.

Anything else along those lines? Also, feel free to recommend something similar that ramps up the comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started watching Juuni Kokuki (12 Kingdoms) after seeing it recommended in this thread and just wanted to mention that even though the main character seems really obnoxious/cliche at the beginning, they really develop her well as a character. Not just in the sense of her improving over time; they also explain why she is the way she is at the beginning.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I just started watching Juuni Kokuki (12 Kingdoms) after seeing it recommended in this thread and just wanted to mention that even though the main character seems really obnoxious/cliche at the beginning, they really develop her well as a character. Not just in the sense of her improving over time; they also explain why she is the way she is at the beginning.

Yep, she progressively gets more awesome.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Anime tends to go all-out for the music used in its OPs and EDs, but what are some shows with excellent overall soundtracks? I'm especially interested in shows that have music that really compliments or matches the animation instead of just kinda being overlaid onto it, but good music is good music.

Also,

Zorak posted:

...space piracy.

Suddenly I'm in the mood for this, what are some good examples? I haven't watched a lot of anime, no suggestion is too obvious.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Eureka 7, Big O, Blassreiter, Ghost In the Shell: Innocence

e: and of course, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Anything Watanabe's got a major hand in will usually have good music.

e2: also Z Gundam and Char's Counterattack have fantastic orchestration. Shoji Meguro is one of my favorite dudes, but his stuff is mostly Persona games, I don't know what the Persona 4 anime did.

muike fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 9, 2014

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Noir had a great low-key soundtrack that went beautifully with it's great landscape backgrounds.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ninety posted:

Anime tends to go all-out for the music used in its OPs and EDs, but what are some shows with excellent overall soundtracks? I'm especially interested in shows that have music that really compliments or matches the animation instead of just kinda being overlaid onto it, but good music is good music.

Kara no Kyoukai, Madoka Magica, and Fate/Zero all have excellent soundtracks by Yuki Kajiura and are good in general as well.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ninety posted:

soundtracks?

Pretty much anything with Yoko Kanno or Yuki Kajiura attached to it will have at least an above-average OST. For specific anime, Spice and Wolf, BECK, Darker than Black, Code Geass, and Fairy Tail are some of my favorite stand-alone soundtracks.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've been listening to this soundtrack off and on for years and years. It's one of my absolute favorites, and I wholeheartedly second this.

In a similar vein, the Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still soundtrack is fantastic and has a ton of great character themes.

----
Edit: And because the answer is always Legend of the Galactic Heroes: LoGH has a fantastic classical score, which is kinda cheating.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 9, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh yeah. Imagawa was really super particular about the work on that soundtrack, if I remember right. Sunrise was trying to push a certain studio on him to produce it and he just didn't think it fit at all, so he convinced Sunrise to let him do it his way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ninety posted:

Michiko & Hatchin has music by Shinchiro Watanabe and it's all cool Brazillian jazz and samba.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ninety posted:

Suddenly I'm in the mood for this, what are some good examples? I haven't watched a lot of anime, no suggestion is too obvious.

Captain Harlock, Bodacious Space Pirates, Space Adventure Cobra

Cowboy Bebop features some as well.

ninety posted:

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Escaflowne, Turn A Gundam, everything else Yoko Kanno,

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Turn A Gundam is both one of the best anime I've ever seen, and has one of the best soundtracks to accompany it. It's really exceptional in every aspect.

Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking both have outstanding soundtracks that compliment them amazingly well, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
In addition to the ones already mentioned (Cowboy Bebop still reigns supreme as the best soundtrack 15 years later), I'd add Evangelion, Mushishi, Princess Tutu, Pani Poni Dash!, Fruits Basket, and FLCL.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

R.O.D. and R.O.D. The TV have good soundtracks as well. Also watch the dubs if you ever watch them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ninety posted:

Yoko Kanno
Yoko Kanno
Yoko Kanno
Yoko Kanno
Yoko Kanno
Yoko Kanno

...oh, and Heat Guy J is pretty cool too.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ninety posted:

Aria has some very nice mood setting music. The music is really good at reinforcing how relaxed life is in Neo-Venezia.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Holy cow, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly. I've already seen some of the shows mentioned (can't believe I forgot something like FLCL when I was trying to think of examples) but I've added another dozen or so to my watch list. You guys are awesome, thanks!
P.S. Don't stop, post em if you got em. :ssh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty much any Yoko Kanno sountrack is the best soundtrack ever. Wolf's Rain, GiTS:SAC (all of them [there's a lot]), Cowboy Bebop are three that really stand out.

Barring her, this year's Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill had amazing soundtracks composed by Hiroyuki Sawano. Gatchaman Crowds also had a fantastic, and rather unique, soundtrack by Taku Iwasaki.

MMania
May 7, 2008
I recently rewatched Magic Knight Rayearth and, despite it being the first anime I ever watched (with a raw VHS copy and a printout of the script), I think it held up pretty well. The story drags a bit in the middle, but if you like the characters there's a lot of good development during those episodes. Cardcaptor is definitely a better show, but Rayearth is 50 episodes shorter, which makes it a bit easier to recommend.

And yeah, just google Yoko Kanno if you want good music. I can't think of an anime she did the music for that was bad, not sure if she's choosy about which shows she works on or if they become good with her music in the background.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah. Another show with good music is .hack//sign. Bear in mind that the music is the only good thing about it, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

unpronounceable posted:

Oh yeah. Another show with good music is .hack//sign. Bear in mind that the music is the only good thing about it, though.

Yeah, I don't think the music is worth sitting through the show; I recommend just tracking down the OST of that one instead.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
General recommendation time. You should watch The Eccentric Family so that you can add your opinions on the wiki. Feel free to edit my description, because I'm not sure it does the show justice.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Looking for recommendations on anime that has the main protagonist, male or female not be a wuss and actually feel like he is somewhat powerful/has strength and not be ridiculously op. i.e they can hold their own against poo poo.

Examples:

Guts from Berserk (not too op but he isn't a pussy)
Kinji aria the scarlet ammo (sure he has a special power but he isn't a total whiny wuss most of the time)
Touma Certain magical index (A little OP but it isn't an instant win for him all the time)
Raishin Unbreakable Machine doll (Probably the perfect guy, not ridiculously op but not too weak and not a whiny bitch)

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This may sound like a silly recommendation but The Devil is a Part Timer! fits perfectly.

Also, Claymore. That said, the manga is better because the last third or so of the anime goes weird as all hell.

e: And maybe Tiger & Bunny?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 11, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Looking for recommendations on anime that has the main protagonist, male or female not be a wuss and actually feel like he is somewhat powerful/has strength and not be ridiculously op. i.e they can hold their own against poo poo.

Nichijou. Yuko's power is terrifying.

You might also consider Natsume Yuujinchou, Trigun, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Examples:

Kinji aria the scarlet ammo (sure he has a special power but he isn't a total whiny wuss most of the time)
Touma Certain magical index (A little OP but it isn't an instant win for him all the time)
Raishin Unbreakable Machine doll (Probably the perfect guy, not ridiculously op but not too weak and not a whiny bitch)

Master Keaton

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Sure, Shinji isn't weak, but god that fails the "whiny bitch" test in every possible way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fenrir posted:

Sure, Shinji isn't weak, but god that fails the "whiny bitch" test in every possible way.

Nonsense. I am an anime recommender of the highest quality, my picks are never mistaken, only misconstrued.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Chillyrabbit posted:

Hunter X Hunter

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Chillyrabbit posted:

Darker than Black, definitely. Just the first season though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Try Busou Renkin maybe. It feels stereotypical Shonen, but the main female character is both strong and independent, and the main male character has a good ark that doesn't venture into OP territory for a looooong time. It's just a good, fun series.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 11, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Examples:

Fate/Zero.

Edit: Kill La Kill.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Just popping in to say I am an absolute sucker for not watching Mushi-shi until now. Everything about it is perfect.

• Locked thread