Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Have you been drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Okay, so I'd be using it for:
Netflix, (other streaming stuff like channel 4 on demand), steam, torrents, xbox live, 3ds network.

Which would be best for that?

EDIT: I've spoke with peeps on the Wechat group, Vypr has been recommended! Thanks for all the help guys as always! :)

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 9, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Netflix, (other streaming stuff like channel 4 on demand), steam, torrents, xbox live, 3ds network.

Xbox live is gonna suck no matter what you get, fyi. Anything that's not streaming you wont need a vpn for. Look for one with British servers if you want channel 4.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

EDIT: I've spoke with peeps on the Wechat group, Vypr has been recommended! Thanks for all the help guys as always! :)

If you havent already paid, i have 2 months or so left on astrill and won't be using it since I'm going back to the us today

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Again, I want to stress learn how to use pptv/pps/youkou and search for titles in Chinese - things usually have different names but if you set Google to Chinese and search the English name the Chinese name will pop up in the sidebar. It's free, everything you would want to watch on iplayer/hulu/netflix is online, usually faster than those services get things up. I am a lifelong torrent user and have basically stopped because almost everything I want to see is available streaming on one of these 3 platforms.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Just use kuaibo (快播)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

bad day posted:

Again, I want to stress learn how to use pptv/pps/youkou and search for titles in Chinese - things usually have different names but if you set Google to Chinese and search the English name the Chinese name will pop up in the sidebar. It's free, everything you would want to watch on iplayer/hulu/netflix is online, usually faster than those services get things up. I am a lifelong torrent user and have basically stopped because almost everything I want to see is available streaming on one of these 3 platforms.

Do they have HD poo poo yet? I was in China last year but didn't stream anything, when I last lived there in 2009, if you pressed HD on Youku it switched from 240p to 320p

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The goon-run HostVPN is solid for me when I connect to their server in Japan. It's pretty reliable. I get nearly all 4Mbits of my crappy DSL downstream bandwidth.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I use Astrill and can not say anything bad about it. I have the 'family' setup thing so I have it on my PC, phone and tablet simultaneously if I want. Switching servers on the fly (although this will cancel all http downloads so you will need to restart/resume) and it functions perfectly for YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, whatever I throw at it.

It also includes a 'Smart Mode' which apparently was designed for China to access local stuff directly, and blocked stuff via VPN.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've used Astrill for 2 or 3 years and it works fine?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yes - yes, you have.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

MeramJert posted:

I've used Astrill for 2 or 3 years and it works fine?

Same

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Since there doesn't appear to be a separate Hong Kong thread - I found some cheap flights (well, ~$500 but I think that's as cheap as they get) during the New Year season. I'm not 100% sure yet I'll be able to make it, but in general

a) The New Year is a huge thing that would be interesting to experience for the first time, right?
b) What's the cheapest accommodation I could hope to find now?
c) Would a week be enough to experience the city without rushing from one thing to another all the time? Obviously more is better but I also don't want to blow all vacation in the first month.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Can someone explain to me the etiquette of buying gifts for people? I'm apparently not supposed to buy something heartfelt and unique and this confuses the crap out of me.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
As far as I can make out you just give people cigarettes, alcohol or fruit.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Can someone explain to me the etiquette of buying gifts for people? I'm apparently not supposed to buy something heartfelt and unique and this confuses the crap out of me.

By doing so, you would create an obligation. Unless it's family, nobody wants to owe you a favour.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

mobby_6kl posted:

Since there doesn't appear to be a separate Hong Kong thread - I found some cheap flights (well, ~$500 but I think that's as cheap as they get) during the New Year season. I'm not 100% sure yet I'll be able to make it, but in general

a) The New Year is a huge thing that would be interesting to experience for the first time, right?
c) Would a week be enough to experience the city without rushing from one thing to another all the time? Obviously more is better but I also don't want to blow all vacation in the first month.

There isn't a separate thread.

a) I don't know, this'll be my first CNY here too!
b) Good question. I'd offer you to stay here, but we don't even have a sofa yet. We've only had our own mattress less than a week! You could, of course, always stay at Chungking Mansions for that ~real backpacker experience~. Or many hourly hotels in all districts offer nightly rates for under HK$200. That's really not something I'd be comfortable with doing, but I'm sure the fear of them not doing laundry is down to my paranoia. I haven't been here long. Other goons who've lived in HK longer would be better placed to advise you, as would those from the thread have been to HK before as visitors. I'm in that middle ground of newly arrived but living here, sorry.
c) I'd say probably. It's not a huge place and if you get off your arse and just do things then there's not a lot of travel time from place to place.

If you do get flights, make sure you let us know when you're going to arrive. I was amazed by the welcoming nature of the goons that live here, and I'd certainly take the chance to pay it forward.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 10, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New Year in China is a lot like Christmas in America: if you have a family to stay with it's nice, but if you're an outsider there is absolutely nothing to do. I think it's been covered pretty well by now in the thread.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

To be fair there's stuff like Christmas parades in major US cities. HK is a major city. I'm hoping for a procession or parade to watch, like there was for Mid-Autumn Festival. There was a dragon made of incense for that, and I was thinking that CNY would be a bigger event.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I remember Hong Kong being fairly boring for CNY. I'm just happy I'm spending the entire holiday in America this year. Thank god for corporate finance exams..

..no, wait.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GuestBob posted:

By doing so, you would create an obligation. Unless it's family, nobody wants to owe you a favour.

Or people can be acting polite and do the obligated "oh no you shouldn't have dance"

Ceciltron posted:

Who are you giving it to? It doesn't have to be expensive but it's the thoughtfulness that counts. However do keep in mind what the receiver likes.

Sometimes people just love booze and cigarettes :(

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Who are you giving it to? It doesn't have to be expensive but it's the thoughtfulness that counts. However do keep in mind what the receiver likes.

Most of this is going to be for my girlfriend's family. We'll be bouncing between their homes for new years so there's basically:

1. Ultra old people, her grandparents, who effectively raised her. They're nice and have been kind to me.
2. Her Dad, who is nice and wants to meet me. The only bad things I have heard is that he is more friendly than fatherly. Which is a bad thing?
3. Her Mom, who is a total bitch and demanded she break up with me the moment she heard about me. This woman also regularly beat her until she was old enough to fight her off.

Hooray for a traumatic childhood divorce I guess?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

Or people can be acting polite and do the obligated "oh no you shouldn't have dance"

You can put more thought into booze and cigarettes than "anything within X price range."

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

caberham posted:

Me me me! :smuggo:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294217-d1625600-Reviews-Lee_Garden_Guest_House-Hong_Kong.html

When I was in HK they had two or three police visits to Chungking Mansions in a week. If you don't mind the Indians trying to sell you suits, drugs and children / semi feral drunk Anglos / mainlanders than that's probably one of the cheapest place in HK. I've stayed at the above, they clean the sheets everyday, have working hot and cold water, clean bathrooms, and the rooms are sound proofed.

I've slept in ratholes, as I get older I realised that saving the $10-20 wasn't worth the broken sleep or conditions.

From there you can walk to the ferrys to HK island, walk to the museums, walk to bars / restaurants and you're central to everything.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is CNY any better in HK than it is on the mainland?

Because UGH

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know if you can access the Chinese Kindle store from outside China? It's not giving any options to download stuff here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to Japan during first week of February so I can't host but get in touch with some other hk goons they are cool.

Hk has a fun parade and a big fireworks show going on, not sure the dates check online. But will hk be fun compared to china? I can't say, nowadays stores are not closed forever, and stay open longer. Quite a few locals would be out of town, and replaced with more mianlanders doing new year's shopping.
I know Shenzhen is super quiet though. Well not as quiet as before because there are people actually have family there unlike 20 years ago.

For the Chinese kindle store i need to check.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Hk has a fun parade and a big fireworks show going on, not sure the dates check online. But will hk be fun compared to china?

my students posted:

Hong Kong is part of China!!!!!!!!!!!!! :colbert: :china: :china: :china:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

It's supposed to be a different system :suicide:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you havent already paid, i have 2 months or so left on astrill and won't be using it since I'm going back to the us today

That'd be great! Is it hard to do that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

That'd be great! Is it hard to do that?

Let me see if I can get you my account without having all of my credit card info still attached to it. Do you have pms or an email I can send to? Or heck, I could just send it via wechat

Edit: CC info isn't attached to the account, so give me some contact info and we can set this up

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'll let my phone tell about my Nanjing layover: Service Error, Loading failed, No connection, Why is everything duck blood

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
A follow up to my earlier boss question:

I'm probably meeting with my boss monday (and the other english teacher she has is coming along to participate -our idea) and I'm pretty much going to ask for about 2000 kuai in overtime.

So my question is: It it going to be cheaper for her to replace both of us (100% of her full-time laowai staff) or just pay us our overtime and be done with it?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

...replace both of us...

What? Does your employer run their own recruitment pipe? If not then it'll be Y5000 per white face to a recruiter.

I still don't get what the issue is. Are you doing over 20 hours per week or teaching at times which are not stipulated in your contract (evenings/weekends/whatevs). If you teach over the hours then you get overtime, if you don't teach over the hours then you don't. Stick to that point and don't budge.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I think he wants overtime because of the time displacement due to the New Year holiday (i.e. Saturday and Sunday are now Monday and Tuesday) thus he wants overtime pay for those extra two days.

I would say just let it slide, once you get to the point where you're telling your employer that your contract says such-and-such your relationship has deteriorated significantly, and getting up in arms about it is going to piss off all your Chinese coworkers for whom this is a normal thing nobody likes but everyone puts up with because everybody has to do it.

If it's, like, every week you are teaching over your hours just kindly explain you either want more money or are just not going to do it. But if this is still about the holiday, this is normal, nobody is trying to screw you here.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

bad day posted:

...time displacement...

Unless he's teaching outside his contract (and his contract includes the official weekend work days stipulated by the government) then he can't get any overtime pay because, well, it isn't overtime. So yeah, if that's the case then he should totally let it slide because he's in the wrong.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
For some reason, you never have to make up Tuesdays, though. It's always Mondays and Wednesday-Fridays.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

2000 yuan is fiddlesticks, go ahead and ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

A follow up to my earlier boss question:

I'm probably meeting with my boss monday (and the other english teacher she has is coming along to participate -our idea) and I'm pretty much going to ask for about 2000 kuai in overtime.

So my question is: It it going to be cheaper for her to replace both of us (100% of her full-time laowai staff) or just pay us our overtime and be done with it?

Hahaha unless she can find a couple of international student rubes she can scam it's about a million times cheaper to pay you that money.

You do have a real RP, right? If you're an illegal F/X visa holder then it's not really that much cheaper but still a lot more troublesome.