Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

a dozen swans posted:

yeah if it's legal for you to give blood where you live you should do it.

Another good thing to do is to sign up for a bone marrow network, which means you do a cheek swab (you can even send for a kit for this) and if someone has bone cancer you might literally save their life, and then they'd probably buy you a bunch of booze or whatever as thanks. It's a more significant thing than blood, and you shouldn't do it if you don't think you'll follow through, but it's such an incredible thing to do that it's worth it.

This thing, also, would be a place where the medical community would be able to up the donation rate via rewards that are otherwise not-legally-obtainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bazooka is the same color as my floorboards, so of course he really likes to run in front of me in the dark and lie down.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i've never been stung by a bee and they seem to really like me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pick posted:

Bazooka is the same color as my floorboards, so of course he really likes to run in front of me in the dark and lie down.

Yeah and then when you accidentally step on them they look at you like you're the rear end in a top hat.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah and then when you accidentally step on them they look at you like you're the rear end in a top hat.

That howl

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I was stung by a bee once when I was a kid. I still like bees.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

noob

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Bees are cool. Wasps can go gently caress themselves.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

they nested in my car one summer and would sometimes come flying thru the vents if i had the AC on, still never been stung but it was a helluva prank to play

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

they nested in my car one summer and would sometimes come flying thru the vents if i had the AC on, still never been stung but it was a helluva prank to play

a few summers ago i was in California and during my first ever visit to the Pacific Ocean a bee stung me within 30 seconds of stepping onto the beach

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

bees are friendly

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Like something straight out of the bowels of Hell. :stare:

Crow Jane posted:

When I was 4 a bee flew by, got stuck under the strap of my sandal and stung me. Even after many stings I'm still cool with bees. Wasps get killed on sight with extreme prejudice (indoors, I don't gently caress with them outside where there might be a nest).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

yes

wasps are huge dbags

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

James Hardon posted:

a few summers ago i was in California and during my first ever visit to the Pacific Ocean a bee stung me within 30 seconds of stepping onto the beach

nig nog got stung by a beach beezy

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
lol

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

yes

wasps are huge dbags

Do they even serve a purpose other than causing pain and terror?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Do they even serve a purpose other than causing pain and terror?

they can find cracks in the siding on your house and dig through the wood and build huge nests of several thosand that push into your basement filling your basement with the horrible evil little fuckers

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well they do control other insect populations by preying on/parasitizing them. So still their purpose revolves around pain and terror really.

NecroMonster posted:

they can find cracks in the siding on your house and dig through the wood and build huge nests of several thosand that push into your basement filling your basement with the horrible evil little fuckers

And much like cats, when you disturb them in your own drat home you're the rear end in a top hat asking for a faceful of stinger as far as they're concerned. :rolleyes:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you could create a team of the world's greatest scientific minds and they will still shrug when asked what the purpose of the mosquito is

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

I would abandon my house and everything in it if that happened.

I guess they do give us figs, though, and figs are pretty good.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

you could create a team of the world's greatest scientific minds and they will still shrug when asked what the purpose of the mosquito is

The males probably pollinate things because they feed strictly on nectar. The females are the jerks who suck your blood and give you malaria. :argh:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

The males probably pollinate things because they feed strictly on nectar. The females are the jerks who suck your blood and give you malaria. :argh:

there are other bugs/birds/bats that can pollinate things

if mosquitos didn't exist, the world would probably be a better place and I can't think of any other species (aside from humans I suppose) for which that would be true

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It might've just been local, but I remember seeing a crazy mosquito scientist on the news this past summer. Her research involved sticking her arm in a tank full of them, letting them bite her and then studying the results. I wanted to take a shower after they showed her poor skin

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Portals posted:

if mosquitos didn't exist, the world would probably be a better place and I can't think of any other species (aside from humans I suppose) for which that would be true

Oh I'm not defending them, just sayin

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

but what would the bats eat

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Although bats and purple martins can be prodigious consumers of insects, many of which are pests, less than 1% of their diets typically consist of mosquitoes. Neither bats nor purple martins are known to control or even significantly reduce mosquito populations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

All the blood you have leftover now that there aren't any mosquitoes. They'll start by landing in your hair. :drac:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
making this, let's see how it goes:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/potlikker-noodles-with-mustard-greens

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

That looks awesome, I love collards. Really any dark leafy green is delicious, though.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 4, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crow Jane posted:

That looks awesome, I love collards. Really any dark leafy green is delicious, though.

using mustard greens because i prefer the bitter taste

and muscat orange champagne vinegar instead of red wine vinegar because gently caress red wine vinegar

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
most of the time i can't give blood because i spend all my free time getting tattoos and you have to wait between one and the other

when i am eligible to give blood, i do so

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

amarantinesky posted:

I also don't particularly like giving blood because I'm afraid they'll tell me I have AIDS, even though that makes no sense. The part where they test your iron levels with the finger prick is also really excruciating for me. I actually couldn't give blood once because I nearly passed out when I saw them forcing blood out of my finger. They made me sit in the corner and eat cookies and then sent me back to class. :(

I don't give blood 'cause I never pass the iron level test, no matter how many supplements I take. The only time I've ever given blood was in high school when I ate nothing but Lucky Charms everyday. Evidently that was enough iron fortification. But, yeah, basically been anemic my entire adult life.

So I went to a meeting today and I was wearing ridiculous heels which is like pretty standard for me and as I walked up to the lobby, I lost my footing on the stupidly slick terrazzo floors and totally went down. In front of the the two coworkers walking behind me. But worse was that it was in front of a group of ten policemen including the chief of police. It was awesome.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Just reading this thread is making me all anxious. I also have a phobia of needles. I don't care what people say, it is not like a bee sting at all. I would rather get stung by 5 bees than get a needle. I also had a pretty awful needle experience when I got my HepC shot in 5th grade. I was feeling ill that day and had to go lie down in the sick room in the morning. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to get a shot while I was ill, but the nurse made me get it anyway and I felt absolutely awful afterwards. I could barely stand or even hold my pen for the rest of the day and my teacher just thought I was faking it.

Fortunately, I am not allowed to give blood because I only weigh 100 lbs.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Is it true you can't give blood if you're gay? I've a mutual friend that uses that as his excuse, but then he has lots of baffling and terrible opinions.

i could probably look this up in five seconds, but :effort:

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

AriadneThread posted:

Is it true you can't give blood if you're gay? I've a mutual friend that uses that as his excuse, but then he has lots of baffling and terrible opinions.

lol no. maybe in the south

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

If you've had sex with a man who's had sex with a man you're a no-go in Canada. So it's even more restrictive than just 'no gays'.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Portals posted:

Yelp, just gonna casually endorsethe extinction of the human race

AriadneThread posted:

Is it true you can't give blood if you're gay?

If you're a man who's had sex since, like 1983(? it's a specific year, i think, can't remember which one) you are not allowed to donate blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 4, 2014

• Locked thread