Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel dumb, but was trying to mod my files so any gender could take council positions but I end up with only males, only females, or no one (playing as pagan and also why can't a king who loves his mumsy not allowed to let her count the money?), so what do I use to make it open to both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Cityinthesea posted:

Whenever the Robin Hood event pops up it happens like 2-4 times so I have 4 pairs of Robin Hoods and Marions in my court :v: they're honestly pretty good statwise so I don't mind too much but still.

I had one loop for an entire ruler's lifetime. I was completely untouchable in any battles because my flanks were all lead by dudes with 20-25 martial and usually a terrain skill. I think I had about 10 or 15 of 'em.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uPen posted:

Did you occupy the provinces? You only take control of provinces where you've occupied the primary holding when the peace is signed. All the other provinces just swear fealty to you and carry on.

Yes, I occupied 8 provinces. All of them stayed with the ruler they had before the war. I did just notice that I got a strong claim on a whopping three counties, one of which I never occupied in the war :confused:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

mackintosh posted:

It was a few years later that I realised I could have just ordered him to take the vows and then given him a bishopric, set him up to be an antipope and pressed his claims. Oh well, live and learn.

I thought you couldn't order folks in direct line of succession to take the vows?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

alcaras posted:

I thought you couldn't order folks in direct line of succession to take the vows?
You have to imprison them first.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

CapnAndy posted:

I'd settle for just a "will join my court" filter.

There is no way to find someone willing to join your court except clicking on each one and trying to invite them manually over and over again until you get lucky, how the gently caress has that survived umpteen dozen iterations and design fixes to every other aspect of the game?

This, a thousand times this.

e: CK2 Matchmaker:
http://www.couscouscrabcakes.com/matchmaker/matchmaker.html

Not sure it works nowadays.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
An unfaithful second wife, whom I'd just married the year prior and made Empress of a vast empire bares a child to a lowly duke. So what does an Emperor do? Why, naturally, imprisons and executes the duke, assassinates the infant and then divorces the wife so that she may live out the rest of her life alone, contemplating her betrayal. Well, maybe, who knows what the heir might do to her once he ascends the throne. Jesus Christ. This game. I need to stop playing it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Main Paineframe posted:

I wish being a vassal was better documented. If I declare a war on my liege to install a throne claimant (through a normal war, NOT a faction since I'm not allowed to start factions), will vassals that like me more than him join my side or at least stay out of it? Does the fact that the realm is in a holy war against neighboring Muslims affect that? I'm playing a Byzantine duke in Ironman, so I'd like to avoid overly risky conduct, but the Emperor has almost depleted his levies in continuous holy wars and managed to piss off nearly every vassal he has, and my half-brother vassal and eligble electoral heir is married to one of the Emperor's sisters, and I'm rich enough to buy one of the more expensive mercenary bands and support it for a year or two so it's a huge opportunity - unless some vassals jump in on the Emperor's side or he hires some mercenaries or something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Emperor just appointed me his spymaster and then became Incapable, too. I wanted to build up my power base over a couple of generations before making a play for the throne, but this is an enormously tempting opportunity and I think I can grab the throne if he can't call all the vassals in on his side.

I don't know how it works if your lieges vassal will join you in a claim war or not but I think one part of it is if they like the claimant better than their liege. Anyway, while your liege is defending against a holy war/jihad/crusade they get a +75 "defending against heathens" opinion boost with all their vassals so you should not declare war on them if you are hoping some vassals would join you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

mackintosh posted:

An unfaithful second wife, whom I'd just married the year prior and made Empress of a vast empire bares a child to a lowly duke. So what does an Emperor do? Why, naturally, imprisons and executes the duke, assassinates the infant and then divorces the wife so that she may live out the rest of her life alone, contemplating her betrayal. Well, maybe, who knows what the heir might do to her once he ascends the throne. Jesus Christ. This game. I need to stop playing it.

This game made me go to war just to imprison/execute another King because he went insane and murdered my character's daughter who was his wife.

The more you play the less the numbers matter. SEND HELP

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mickey McKey posted:

Did Paradox change how pagan Subjugation wars work? I just won my Subjugation war for Ruthenia as Lithuania vs the Cumans, but all the Cuman counts and dukes are there and joined the independence faction and have more levies than the Khan of Cumania did and will definitely revolt shortly (and some are relatives of the Khan and will call him to war when they revolt, undoubtedly). Why did I gain control of ZERO counties when I won the Subjugation war? At this point I might as well grant independence to all these Cuman counts and dukes and re-war for the counties, because right now by winning the Subjugation war but not being able to kick ANY of the retained rulers out I have an unbeatable independence faction to deal with now....seems a little hosed.

edit: thankfully this is not ironman and I am more than willing to use the console to fix this bullshit; but I am curious if this is how they work now, how they always worked but its just been a while, or what.

This is how they always worked. Subjugation just means making other people into your vassal. You take the top level title of the person you're subjugating (and sometimes you actually get claims on any of their holdings, I don't know how/why). Invasions are the type which (usually) give you direct control of any occupied territory. (Some of them, like the Muslim invasion CB, doesn't actually do this despite the tooltip saying it will. Not sure whether the tooltip is broken or the CB itself.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Allyn posted:

This is how they always worked. Subjugation just means making other people into your vassal. You take the top level title of the person you're subjugating (and sometimes you actually get claims on any of their holdings, I don't know how/why). Invasions are the type which (usually) give you direct control of any occupied territory. (Some of them, like the Muslim invasion CB, doesn't actually do this despite the tooltip saying it will. Not sure whether the tooltip is broken or the CB itself.)

You get a +75 opinion bonus for those you conquer in a Muslim invasion, so you can convert them to Islam. I would say it works as intended and the tooltip is wrong.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, playing in the HRE is either the most boring poo poo ever OR the most nerve-wrecking. There I am, puttering along as a 3-province count in the alps, working on gettin the duchy of Tyrol. Someone invites me to a plot to see it granted to a new ruler, I accept and the little poo poo instantly goes to war with the duke of Bavaria. I run to the jews, get some cash and mercs, beat the guy to a pulp and...

The Kaiser grants the title to the other de jure OPM count. :argh:

No problem though, my heir is a great diplomat and creates a claim right away. A short war later I'm the duke, finally I can concentrate on upgrading my holdings and other domestic matters.

Ha, nope, the other dukes decide to throw the imperial crown in my lap right during a big war with the Swedes. No rest for the wicked. :shepface:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Just your regular CK2 wackiness

e: it's 945

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Rynoto posted:

This game made me go to war just to imprison/execute another King because he went insane and murdered my character's daughter who was his wife.

The more you play the less the numbers matter. SEND HELP

Oh that's not bad, a perfectly natural reaction to someone murdering your daughter. My Emperor ended up outliving his estranged hussy. He outlived most of his children too, including his heir, clinging to life just long enough for his grandson to come of age and avoid a regency. He died in a hunting accident at the ripe age of 82. I admit, I sent him hunting hoping he'd get into an accident, a 60 year reign was more than enough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mackintosh posted:

Oh that's not bad, a perfectly natural reaction to someone murdering your daughter. My Emperor ended up outliving his estranged hussy. He outlived most of his children too, including his heir, clinging to life just long enough for his grandson to come of age and avoid a regency. He died in a hunting accident at the ripe age of 82. I admit, I sent him hunting hoping he'd get into an accident, a 60 year reign was more than enough.

I think this is what hunts are actually for, given the number of promising young kings I've lost to them. My current king took the throne aged one, and after surviving a very dramatic regency with several civil wars, promptly got maimed in a hunt aged 16.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

marktheando posted:

I think this is what hunts are actually for, given the number of promising young kings I've lost to them. My current king took the throne aged one, and after surviving a very dramatic regency with several civil wars, promptly got maimed in a hunt aged 16.

Ugh, unlucky. I hate regencies, they always screw something up. There was a time earlier in this particular playthrough when I pretty much eradicated my deceased heir's entire family line to avoid it. Monstrous, but it had to be done.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hunts are the crucible of manhood. Bad Kings go in to have their flaws fixed, good Kings go in to become awesome.

I've been sending my current idiot on a hunt every year I can because there is a hunting event that removes Craven and by God he's gonna get it. Hasn't happened yet, but he did pick up Diligent this year, which had the extra bonus of wiping away Slothful. Which was a huge boost, actually. My levies jumped by like 5,000 men.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't know how it works if your lieges vassal will join you in a claim war or not but I think one part of it is if they like the claimant better than their liege. Anyway, while your liege is defending against a holy war/jihad/crusade they get a +75 "defending against heathens" opinion boost with all their vassals so you should not declare war on them if you are hoping some vassals would join you.

It's an offensive holy war that's going badly, fortunately. The Byzantines have been expanding nonstop into their neighbors, including taking Jerusalem (and therefore unlocking Jihads) before 900, and the Muslim nations are finally hitting back hard enough to put the Empire at a disadvantage.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
How would I edit the Seize Trade Post plot to allow me as a Doge to take other patrician family ports regardless of relative number of ports? I'm really, really loving tired of the rear end in a top hat AIs setting up ports to cut my trade zones in half.

The full CB entry is here.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

fool_of_sound posted:

How would I edit the Seize Trade Post plot to allow me as a Doge to take other patrician family ports regardless of relative number of ports? I'm really, really loving tired of the rear end in a top hat AIs setting up ports to cut my trade zones in half.

The full CB entry is here.

Try this:
code:
        # Target scope
        allow = {
                has_trade_post = yes
                any_neighbor_province = {
                        has_trade_post = yes
                        trade_post_owner = {
                                character = FROM
                        }
                }
        }
Make a backup of the file, I am not sure if this will work but it looks like it should allow you to plot to seize a tradepost on anyone that has a tradepost bordering one of yours.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, ironman is most annoying to play just for the fact that you can't fix the niggling little errors or stupidities that creep in. Like a vassal keeping his free rebellion event troops after I assassinated the person whose claim he was pressing, and then rebelling again a little while later while they're still sitting on my capital. Or - and this is the thing that really bugged me - missing out on the crusade for Jerusalem because I was already helping out the Kaiser in a holy war against the same guy, which took longer to conclude than it took the crusade to fail.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Man, ironman is most annoying to play just for the fact that you can't fix the niggling little errors or stupidities that creep in. Like a vassal keeping his free rebellion event troops after I assassinated the person whose claim he was pressing, and then rebelling again a little while later while they're still sitting on my capital. Or - and this is the thing that really bugged me - missing out on the crusade for Jerusalem because I was already helping out the Kaiser in a holy war against the same guy, which took longer to conclude than it took the crusade to fail.

Or having your Attractive Genius heir inherit the throne and then die. Of an illness. 1 year into adulthood.

loving bullshit.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

hellsjudge posted:

Or having your Attractive Genius heir inherit the throne and then die. Of an illness. 1 year into adulthood.

loving bullshit.
Yeah, that's annoying too, but at least for that you can shrug a bit and chalk it up to the RNG. Something that can reasonably happen, even if it isn't what you want to happen. The other stuff is bugs and weak mechanics. :(

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're running elective, what territory do you lose if you lose the election?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is there a way for me to Usurp the Shia caliphate? I personally am the only reason Shia isn't at 0 moral authority (constant holy wars with christians) and I'm tired of the Caliph being a useless one duchy idiot with 0 diplomacy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If you're running elective, what territory do you lose if you lose the election?

All titles de facto vassals to the title being elected will become vassals of the ruler-elect. You will keep any titles not being elected.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You will only lose your top title, so as a king you will keep any duchies/counties.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, I've been having fun playing the HRE in my latest game. My original plan was just to make an Antipope and then claim Rome to vassalize the Papacy (apparently if you install an Antipope in Rome as an Empire, the Papacy becomes your vassal, so I wanted to try that out). However, one of the first things that happened to me was a random event from my Court Chaplain that allowed me to convert to the Fraticelli heresy. So, obviously I did that. And then installed the Fraticelli Papacy in Rome. So, that's been fun.

Also, France is now a Merchant Republic because I pressed the claim of my son-in-law who had for some reason become the Patrician of a Merchant Republic while I hadn't been looking.

e: Also, here's the Unholy Roman Empire plus the rest of Europe at the moment.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 10, 2014

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It depends on the title in question, I believe that you generally lose the territory associated with that title.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

This (with one other minor change) worked. Thanks!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God drat it. My husband went off and joined the Knights Hospitaller, but ok, I have a son and a niece, so whatever. Suddenly, syphilis, everywhere. My son and my niece die, a good chunk of my court dies, and now my queen is 38. I'm not certain what to do. What's the child bearing limit? Because my heir isn't my dynasty any more. I divorced my husband and married some other dude, but it's suddenly super frantic.

Edit: vv Oh, good, I have a little bit of time left, thanks.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 11, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

catlord posted:

God drat it. My husband went off and joined the Knights Hospitaller, but ok, I have a son and a niece, so whatever. Suddenly, syphilis, everywhere. My son and my niece die, a good chunk of my court dies, and now my queen is 38. I'm not certain what to do. What's the child bearing limit? Because my heir isn't my dynasty any more. I divorced my husband and married some other dude, but it's suddenly super frantic.

Vanilla is 45.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there some way to switch to another character and keep playing in the same world if you get a game over, or do you just have to reload from whatever save is the most recent?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

KittyEmpress posted:

Vanilla is 45.
It starts dropping in the late 30s and falls off a cliff past 40, though. 45 is the theoretical maximum but anything 40+ is highly unlikely.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So in the absence of any clear answers, I decided to give my plan a shot and see if it worked. And it did, splendidly. Even though I was pressing someone's claim, declaring war on my liege still gave me the option to call the other vassals into the war:

And since they all really really hated the Emperor, who had gone about making himself terribly unpopular by repeatedly raising Crown Authority, castrating anyone who rebelled against him but letting them keep their titles, personally holding three duchies for no apparent reason, and so forth, almost all of them joined my revolt, turning it from a fair fight into a hilariously one-sided stomping of Constantinople.

On top of that, despite losing his Empire, the Emperor was still saddled with his holy war against Mesopotamia, which should keep him out of my hair for a while. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I've got one of his heirs in my dungeon. Meanwhile, all I had to do was change my preferred heir to my half-brother who's married to the claimant (now I see why Elective is so popular!), and from there it's just a waiting game until I die. Time to go on lots of Great Hunts!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mackintosh posted:

I started a Caliph game, that I was sure was bugged, because every single child he had to all of his wives got the "She's whoring around with a courtier and this ain't your kid flavour". He was content and kind soI let it slide and he raised a stable of sons that weren't his like a good cuckold.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Ok, gently caress mongols. Three hours on speed one while I kited the doomstack around with the only guy who had organizer. It took three tries to get it right. The last 45 minutes was spent spinning a small stack back and forth while the AI switched destinations every day. It was the slowest couple of years imaginable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When you're the leader of the Republic, do you want to use the city takeover CB for your vassals, or does that help them? When you do a city CB for a friendly vassal's port, the city goes to them, not you. I've noticed Pisa is doing that, and they have trade zones absolutely everywhere. My trade zones goes from Gotland to the English Channel. Pisas' top Doge doesn't have a gigantic court full of male family members, and they own an enormous amount of Mediterranean provinces, while I thought it was a good idea not to land any of my patrician vassals. My trade practices tech is ahead of everyone else, and I only have room for 23 trade posts, 200 years into the game, but Pisa's size dwarfs mine.

Am I doing something wrong?

Node fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 11, 2014

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Node posted:

When you're the leader of the Republic, do you want to use the city takeover CB for your vassals, or does that help them? When you do a city CB for a friendly vassal's port, the city goes to them, not you. I've noticed Pisa is doing that, and they have trade zones absolutely everywhere. My trade zones goes from Gotland to the English Channel. Pisas' top Doge doesn't have a gigantic court full of male family members, and they own an enormous amount of Mediterranean provinces, while I thought it was a good idea not to land any of my patrician vassals. My trade practices tech is ahead of everyone else, and I only have room for 23 trade posts, 200 years into the game, but Pisa's size dwarfs mine.

Am I doing something wrong?

It still helps you because they're still your vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Has anyone ever run a game under Seniority succession, even as a self-imposed challenge? If so, could you make it work?

It just seems like bouncing from old dude to old dude so you can't educate your heirs, never know exactly who your heir will be, and are pretty much constantly in Short Reign would be impossible.

• Locked thread